ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2010, 07:18 AM   #1201
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,985
Randolph Mason - Harrison County

Located about 10 miles south of Clarksburg on Rt 20 in Romines Mills, about 1 mile south of the junction with Rt 57. This marker was missing for quite some time, and was recently replaced.

From West Virginia: A History by Otis K. Rice and Stephen W. Brown

Click Here For Website - See Pg 257

About the beginning of the Twentieth Century, Romantic approaches to literature faded and a new era of Realism arrived. Foremost among the new novelists was Melville Davisson Post (1869-1930), a native of Romine's Mills. Post received a law degree from West Virginia University and practiced criminal law in Wheeling for about 8 years. In 1901 he turned to corporate law and formed a partnership with John T. McGraw, a powerful leader in the Democratic Party. By then, Post had given up his own fleeting political ambitions and embarked on literary pursuits.

Post achieved success with The Strange Schemes of Randolph Mason (1896) and its successor, The Man of Last Resort (1897). Inverting the plots of detective story writers such as Edgar Allan Poe and A. Conan Doyle, he created in Randolph Mason a clever and unprincipled lawyer who used extraordinary intelligence and legal skill to find imperfections in laws to protect wrongdoers. Critics applauded Post's literary skills, but some feared his exposure of legal flaws would encourage villans to seek them out as ways of escaping justice. Post contended that the stories emphasized the need for greater care in framing laws, but in The Corrector of Destinies (1908) a reformed Randolph Mason turned his great talents to legal methods of correcting injustices.

Although Post enjoyed Cosmopolitan and Eastern European society, he found inspiration for many of his works in the hills of West Virginia. Dwellers in the Hills (1901) was reputedly based on experiences in the Harrison County cattle country. Its strength lay in the authenticity of its characters and their society and in its well-constructed plot. A minor classic in American literature, it never achieved widespread popularity in the United States, but it won Post an appreciative audience in Great Britain.

Perhaps influenced by the untimely death of his wife, Post turned to a religious theme in The Mountain School-Teacher (1922). He based the story on the life of Jesus, but with reverence and skill, he gave it a modern setting with Jesus assuming the form of a mountain school teacher. Often described as an allegory, the work gave Post new stature as a novelist and won him a nomination for the Nobel Prize in Literature. Deeply distressed by the materialistic and immoral society of the 1920s, Post is said to have been considering at the time of his death another allegorical novel with Satan as the central figure.

Historical Marker located on Rt 20 at Romine's Mills, about 1 mile south of junction with Rt 57.

Same Marker - Side #2

View northbound on Rt 20. That's the Romine's Mills city limit sign just ahead on the right.

View southbound on Rt 20.

View across the highway at the Romine's Mills area.
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 05-17-2010 at 04:52 AM
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:25 AM   #1202
Grape_Ape
It Feels Good

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape_Ape
Mount De Chantal

This new or recently refurbished marker is located at the entrance to the now closed academy on Washington Avenue in Wheeling. Look closely and you can see where a typographical error was corrected on the face of the marker.

After studying the picture I've come to the conclusion that the correction on the marker wasn't due to a typo. I figure they changed the word "is" to "was" since the academy is now closed.

Grape_Ape screwed with this post 05-10-2010 at 07:44 AM
Grape_Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:45 AM   #1203
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoman
Well.... what goes around, comes around....

Taken last week, next one on my list to post today or tomorrow.

Even Steven, as we used to say.

The Indian Battle in Upshur County has me baffled too. I even stopped by the DOH shop in Weston, but the supervisor was not in. I turned off the 4-lane at Lorentz (Population Center marker) and turned left (west ) past the Lewis Co / Upshur Co line. No luck. I rode the Old Rt 33 all the way to downtown Buckhannon. Twice. No luck. I'm working on getting an answer.

HAHAHAHAHAA, My wife and I grabbed the Walter Cool marker Saturday!! Guess I wont post the pics now Whats that saying about "great Minds"????
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:00 AM   #1204
Grape_Ape
It Feels Good

Wlater Reuther

Located on Route 88 in Bethlehem.

There is a statue of Reuther located on the riverfront in downtown Wheeling.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:23 AM   #1205
pnoman OP
Just Average

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV
HAHAHAHAHAA, My wife and I grabbed the Walter Cool marker Saturday!! Guess I wont post the pics now Whats that saying about "great Minds"????
Bet those people in the nearby houses are wondering what in the world is going on with all these motorcyclists stopping to take photos of that marker the past week. Kind of like the guy washing his truck by the Peter Tarr Furnace up in Weirton a few weeks ago on the WV Tag-O-Rama.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 05-10-2010, 09:13 AM   #1206
Grape_Ape
It Feels Good

Ohio County/Marshall County

I stumbled upon this marker while looking for others on Saturday.

I don't see a description that fits it on the master list.

It is located where Jacob Street in Wheeling turns into Marshall Street in Benwood. It is in the corner of the parking lot of the Fastenal store.

Side One

Side Two

Could this be the marker that is supposed to be on Route 88?
Old 05-10-2010, 09:26 AM   #1207
pnoman OP
Just Average

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape_Ape
Ohio County/Marshall County

Could this be the marker that is supposed to be on Route 88?
I'll put this on the list of questions for Joe Geiger. Nice grab.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 05-10-2010, 09:29 AM   #1208
Grape_Ape
It Feels Good

Ohio County / State of Ohio

Located on National Road (Route 40) near the old closed bridge that takes you from Wheeling Island into the state of Ohio.

Side One

Side Two

Here are some shots of the old bridge.

As you can see in the pictures, the old bridge was reinforced at some point in time. The new bridge was eventually built along side the old bridge (to the left in the pictures).

Seems this grand old bridge's days might be numbered.

http://www.historicbridges.org/ohio/us40/index.htm

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...1/abridge.html

Grape_Ape screwed with this post 05-10-2010 at 02:44 PM
Old 05-13-2010, 02:34 PM   #1209
pnoman OP
Just Average

Some more Old vs New Markers

Below are some more examples of how our project is bringing about improvements on many of the markers that were in dire need of TLC.

(I showed the first one before, but it's worth showing again)

Lee's Headquarters (Pocahontas County)

BEFORE:

After:

Harrison County / Taylor County Line - Rt 76

Before:

After:

Pleasants County / Ritchie County Line - Rt 16

Before:

Side #1

Side #2

After:

Side #1

Side #2

Center Branch Church - Harrison County

Before:

After:

Thanks again, everyone. We've almost got them all.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 05-14-2010, 10:24 AM   #1210
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,320
Mike, you may have mentioned it earlier, but should I assume they'll be replacing the ones that are listed as missing? There must be a record of a particular marker's (frnt/back) text so they could be replicated.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #1211
pnoman OP
Just Average

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young
Mike, you may have mentioned it earlier, but should I assume they'll be replacing the ones that are listed as missing? There must be a record of a particular marker's (frnt/back) text so they could be replicated.
Guy,

I think they are going to eventually replace most of them, except ones that have been removed - for instance, they can't have a marker on a 4-lane, like on the new sections of Rt 50 (Clarksburg to Parkersburg) and Rt 19 (Sutton to Summersville), so those county line markers on the old 2-lanes that were "covered up by the new road" are probably history.

Some of the "missing" ones are actually being replaced with more politically correct ("Native Americans" instead of "Savages", and "African American" instead of "Black") verbage.

Oh, and I almost forgot, there's the $$$ factor. The cost of a new marker is about $2,000 plus the installation cost (for DOH to have 6 supervisors standing around watching 2 people work. )
www.RidingWV.com
Old 05-15-2010, 06:52 AM   #1212
pnoman OP
Just Average

Spreadsheet updated to :

Post #1208 - 15 May 2010

Total Markers Documented: Appx 790

Total Markers Remaining: Appx 20 (not counting "Missing" markers that may have recently been replaced)

Please let me know if you see any mistakes/omissions. Thanks!
www.RidingWV.com
Old 05-16-2010, 08:12 AM   #1213
pnoman OP
Just Average

Remaining markers

Here are a few notes about a few of the ~20 remaining markers:

1) Grant Co / Hardy Co Line (Rt 220) vatrader01 photographed the pole back in March. It appears to have broken off. I don't know about replacement?

2) St Matthew Lutheran Church - Hardy Co - vatrader01 told me he looked for this one with no luck.

3) Fort Ogden (2x markers) - Grant Co - Rt 50 east of Gormania - I have looked for these several times, including a slow trek up and down the mountain. I was told by a local that it may have been knocked over the hill when a truck went through the guardrail last year. I stopped at 2 places where there appeared to be "newer" guardrail (like the scene of an accident), and looked over the hillside and saw nothing.

4) Revolutionary War Soldier's Grave - Jennies Creek Bridge, Wayne County - I did not see this last summer when I came up Rt 52, but it may have been replaced by then. Directions: Rt 52 at mouth of Jennie Creek, about 1 mile south of Crum (about 3 miles north of Wayne Co / Mingo Co line on Rt 52).

5) Indian Battle - Upshur County (should also be near the Missing Upshur/Lewis Co line marker). I spent a couple of hours looking for this one. I rode Old Rt 33 all the way from the Lewis/Upshur County line all the way into Buckhannon. Twice!

6) Lakin State Hospital - Rider WV looked for this one and could not find it anywhere near the hospital (See post #1118)

Just thought I'd share these with you before you go crazy trying to find them. I'll do some more research and update ASAP.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 05-16-2010 at 08:19 AM
Old 05-19-2010, 09:05 AM   #1214
pnoman OP
Just Average

Rain Plan - Rescheduled for June ???

WV Tag-O-Rama / Historical Markers Get Together has been postponed due to rain. We are tentatively planning to move it to either:

Friday June 4 - Sunday June 6 OR

Friday June 11- Sunday June 13.

Still planning to meet at Seneca Rocks.

Please chime in on the Get-Together thread -
Click Here
- to let us know which date works for you.

As a consolation prize - We are going to all meet for lunch at Rella's (Rt 20 about a mile south of Hacker Valley - about 15 miles north of Webster Springs) on this Saturday - 22 May 2010 - at 1pm. This will still give everyone a riding destination without having to drag all the wet camping gear hither and thither.

Thanks for your understanding! See you at Rella's on Saturday, and Seneca Rocks in 2 or 3 weeks.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 05-19-2010 at 10:28 AM
Old 05-19-2010, 09:40 AM   #1215
Grape_Ape
It Feels Good

Don't know if I can make it Saturday but I've been there before.