ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2010, 11:57 AM   #1231
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 2,003
Smoke Hole Cave - Pendleton Co

As the crow flies, this one is not far from my grandparent's old farm. Too bad there's not a road through Smoke Hole to get here. You cannot get to the actual cave, since it is on private property that is posted "No Trespassing".

This was a joint tag with vatrader01, who's first contribution to this thread was Eagle Rock, located just a mile or two south. We've come full circle.

This marker was missing since before this project started (Nov '08) and was recently replaced.

From the Smoke Hole Website: http://www.smokehole.com/cavernlesson.html

Cave or Cavern?
Is there a difference between a cave and a cavern? This is a frequently asked question, and many people use the terms interchangeably. However, there is a difference. A cave is any cavity in the ground that is large enough that some portion of it will not receive direct sunlight. There are many types of caves (discussed in this lesson plan). A cavern is a specific type of cave, naturally formed in soluble rock with the ability to grow speleothems. So, although a cavern can accurately be called a cave (since it is a type of cave), all caves cannot be called caverns.

For an interesting Pittsburgh Post-Gazette article: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08046/855641-37.stm

Historical Marker located on CR 2 (AKA Smoke Hole Road) about 4 miles north of the junction with Rt 220 above Upper Tract.

Same Marker - Side #2

Vatrader01 (the person who doesn't look like a DOT road crew employee) and I taking in the breathtaking scenery.

This informative marker is next to the Historical Marker.

View northbound on Smoke Hole Road.

View southbound on Smoke Hole Road.
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:20 PM   #1232
pnoman OP
Just Average

Marker update

I stopped by the local WV DOH Sign Shop in Gore (Rt 19 just north of Clarksburg) when I noticed several markers leaning against the side of their building. Here's what I found.

John Ellifritt was the man who knew about the markers. Boy, did he know about the markers! They cover 5 counties - Harrison, Marion, Monongalia, Preston, and Doddridge Counties. He seems to know where every marker is located, so I asked him about several of the missing ones.

First, let's look at the markers leaning on the building. These were all ones that need repainting, except one (Dr. Loomis' Grave - broken mounting "bell" base).

Total of 8 markers - all are awaiting the marker spa, except the one on the far left (W.Va. Industrial School for Boys, which was replaced with a marker with more "politically correct" verbage). The marker front and center is the Rt 119 WV / PA border marker posted by WVChrome on Post #186. The others in the background include Harmony Grove Church (WVChrome, Post #624), Monongalia Co / Taylor Co Line - Rt 119 (WVChrome, Post #261), Wetzel Co / Marion Co Line - Rt 250 (pnoman, Post #528), Dr. Loomis' Grave (Preston Co., pnoman, Post #404), Taylor Co / Marion Co - Rt 73 (pnoman, Post #459), Boothsville (Marion Co, pnoman, Post #461), and Harrison Co / Taylor Co - Rt 73 (pnoman, Post #462).

I'll try to find out when these come back and are re-mounted so I can get more "Before & After" photos.

Here's the scoop on "Missing" markers in these 5 counties:

Harrison:

Harrison Co / Taylor Co - Rt 50 : Officially missing. Replacement???
Harrison Co / Barbour Co - Rt 57 : Officially missing. Replacement???
Harrison Co / Wetzel Co - Rt 20 : Officially missing. Replacement???
Harrison Co / Doddridge Co - Rt 50 : Officially missing. Replacement??? (Now 4-lane)
Revolutionary Graves - This may be the one they recently replaced north of Shinnston. Will check it out ASAP. [EDIT: It's not the one they replaced. Still Missing 18 June 2010. The one they installed is a new one - Big Elm - see next post]

Marion:

Marion Co / Taylor Co - Rt 310 - Officially missing. Replacement???
Marion Co / Taylor Co - Rt 250 - Officially missing. Replacement???

Doddridge:

Doddridge Co / Tyler Co - Rt 23 - Officially missing. Replacement???
Doddridge Co / Harrison Co - Rt 50 - Officially missing. Replacement??? (Now 4-lane)

Monongalia:

Henry Clay Furnace - Was listed as missing - was recently replaced [In place & Photographed 18 June 2010]
Monongalia Co - State of PA - Rt 19 : Sorry, I missed this one - status?? [EDIT: Missing 18 June 2010]
End of Mason-Dixon Survey - CR 39 at Brown's Hill : He was pretty sure this one is missing. Will verify. [EDIT: Verified missing 18 June 2010]
Mason-Dixon Line #1 - Rt 19 at PA state line : Also not sure, but thinks it is missing [Verified missing 18 June 2010]
West Virginia University #1 (Dorsey Knob) - Officially missing. Replacement???
West Virginia University #2 (Westover) - Officially missing. Replacement???
Willey-Wade-White / Morgantown : Courthouse - Officially missing. Replacement???

Preston:

Preston Co / Monongalia Co - Rt 7 : Officially Missing. Replacement???
Albright : Officially missing, maybe due to flooding. Replacement???
Old Iron Furnace : Officially missing, maybe due to flooding. Replacement???
Dunkard Bottom : Officially missing, maybe due to flooding. Replacement???
Preston Co / Tucker Co - Rt 219 : Officially missing. Replacement???
Preston Co / Monongalia Co - CR 73 by Cooper's Rock - Not sure, it may be there. [EDIT: In place & Photographed 18 June 2010]

I plan on riding out to check on the few he wasn't sure of. Will post updates again ASAP.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 06-19-2010 at 05:53 AM
Old 06-18-2010, 05:24 PM   #1233
pnoman OP
Just Average

Big Elm - Harrison Co (Brand New!)

This is a BRAND-NEW marker - not even on the state's database list online yet. I only knew about it from talking to the sign guy at the local DOH Sign Shop a couple of weeks ago.

Located on Rt 19 about 1 mile north of Shinnston in the community of Big Elm (Marker is across the highway from Big Elm Elementary School).

I came up empty on my search for more information about this old community. There is not much there any more - just an Elementary School and a few scattered homes. I'd like to see the old tree - sounds HUGE!

Please read both sides - different inscriptions.

Historical Marker located on Rt 19 about 1 mile north of Shinnston across from Big Elm Elementary School.

Same Marker - Side #2

The book, "Daughter of the Elm", is available thru Amazon.com Cost is about $22.00

View southbound on Rt 19.

View northbound on Rt 19.

Big Elm Elementary across the highway.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 06-30-2010 at 03:26 PM
Old 06-19-2010, 04:40 AM   #1234
pnoman OP
Just Average

Just updated some information back on Post #1232.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 06-19-2010, 09:46 AM   #1235
pnoman OP
Just Average

Stewartstown - Monongalia Co

Located on Rt 119 northeast of Morgantown. It appears to be recently repainted.

I couldn't find much on the history of Stewartstown itself. It's more of a group of randomly scattered homes than an actual "city" with a downtown. It is situated on a ridge with an outstanding view of the Cheat Lake area.

I did find some information (posted below) about the Forks of Cheat Baptist Church.

Historical Marker located on Rt 119 at the junction with CR 65, about 3 miles south of the PA state line.

Same Marker - Side #2

View northbound on Rt 119. Stewartstown Road (CR 65) turns to the right at this intersection.

View southbound on Rt 119. Stewartstown Road (CR 65) turns to the left in this photo. The small stone monument in the next photo is barely visible here to the left of my bike, in the shade under the trees.

Closer view of the monument to the Forks of Cheat Baptist Church.

Inscription on the plaque.

For more information: (Click Here For Website)

Otis Rice and Stephen Brown wrote “On November 5, 1775, John Corbly organized a Baptist congregation in the village of Forks of Cheat near Stewartstown (sixteen miles southwest of Garards Fort in what later became Monongalia County in present-day West Virginia).” The Forks of Cheat Church, still a very vibrant Baptist Church today, was so named because of its location at the confluence of the Cheat River and the Monongahela River.
The church was constituted with these eleven members including Presbyterians, Baptists and Methodists: Samuel Lewellen (chosen Elder), John McFarland (Deacon), Thomas Mills, Thomas Evans, Joseph Boltinghouse, Hannah Lewellen, Susannah McFarland, Martha Mills, Catherine Evans, Elizabeth Jackson, and William John. Its record book states “The Forks of Cheat Church is the oldest church continuously in use to this day in West Virginia west of the Allegheny Mountains. Reverend John Corbly served as the supply pastor of the Forks of Cheat Baptist Church until 1788 when another pastor was named. The first log church was at the Baptist burying-ground above Lancelot John’s on the Morgantown and Stewartstown Road.” Traditionally recounted, this first church was burned by the Indians. Its earliest record read “It was built of square loggs of 28 feet in length, 28 feet in breadth, and 12 loggs high.” The church records are complete since 1775 and are kept in a bank vault at Morgantown, West Virginia.

View eastbound on CR 65 through Stewartstown. The church is about a mile ahead.

Nice view down this family's driveway looking towards the Cheat Lake area.

Eastbound on CR 65 approaching the Forks of Cheat Baptist Church and cemetery.

Forks of Cheat Baptist Church.

OK, I usually would not show a gravestone of just anyone buried in a cemetery, but I had to give this one a double-look. I wonder if his friend Count Chocula is buried here too? (Remember those?)
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 06-30-2010 at 03:27 PM
Old 06-20-2010, 06:24 AM   #1236
pnoman OP
Just Average

Henry Clay Iron Furnace - Monongalia Co

This marker was recently replaced after being missing for quite some time. It is located in Cooper's Rock State Forest, about 10 miles east of Morgantown, on the Monongalia Co / Preston Co line along I-68. As you exit I-68 at Exit 15 and start into the State Forest area south of the Interstate, there is a small sign to the right for the road to the furnace. Proceed down this road (CR 73-16) about 3 - 4 miles until it ends at the parking lot by the trailhead. The marker is located at the trailhead by the parking lot. Allow enough time to hike down the trail to the furnace. It's not quite a mile, but is rather rocky in places (leave the baby strollers in the car), and is a moderate grade uphill/downhill for the first 5 minutes. I'm in pretty good shape, and hiked it in about 10-12 minutes each way, but I was moving along at a good clip. For a more relaxed walk, allow an hour or more round-trip for the hike and photos.

From the WV Geological and Economic Survey Website: http://www.wvgs.wvnet.edu/www/geology/geoldvir.htm

Iron was almost as essential to pioneer life as was salt, the first mineral resource exploited, and was needed for a variety of agricultural and household purposes. The iron industry, therefore, developed at an early stage in West Virginia's history. Small, workable iron veins were discovered in many areas in the State, and small furnaces were set up at these spots for smelting the ore and manufacturing bar iron for the pioneer blacksmiths. In West Virginia, iron production began in 1760 at "The Bloomery," near Harpers Ferry, on the lower Shenandoah River. George Washington considered the iron produced here so superior that in 1794 he established the federal arsenal and gun factory at Harpers Ferry.
At first, iron and iron products were carried west over the mountains to the pioneers. But because the journey was difficult, iron furnaces were soon established farther west. In 1794, Peter Tarr built one of the first iron furnaces west of the Alleghenies on Kings Creek near Weirton, in Hancock County. As well as making cooking utensils and iron grates, this furnace also cast the cannonballs used by Commodore Oliver H. Perry in the 1813 Battle of Lake Erie. Most of the iron furnaces were built in the Cheat River Valley near Ices Ferry and along Deckers Creek in the Monongahela River Valley. The Decker's Creek Iron Works, also called Rock Forge, produced bar iron as early as 1798, although the most extensive iron works were on the Cheat River. At Pleasant Furnace, built on Quarry Run about 1798, Samuel Jackson produced large quantities of bar iron and sold it in exchange for cash, grain, and country products. Since the Pleasant (Davis) Furnace was small, it did not supply enough iron for Jackson's use. So new furnaces were built, such as Woodgrove, Henry Clay, and Anna, all near Ices Ferry on the Cheat River. Since iron manufacturers preferred charcoal over coal for the furnaces, the lumber industry in the area was encouraged and thrived. During its peak years, in the 1840s, the Jackson Iron Works was a well-known establishment, employing as many as 1,200 workers. A thriving community developed with over 100 homes, four times the size of nearby Morgantown.
Iron manufacturing and related industries also prospered in the Northern Panhandle. In 1832, a large iron mill was constructed at Wheeling. The major product was nails, which gave the city the nickname of "Nail City."
However, by the mid-1800s, transportation methods were improving and new and richer iron ore beds were being discovered around Lake Superior. In 1880, rich, thick, iron ore beds were found in the Mesabi Range in Minnesota and Michigan. A better railroad system made transportation of this ore economical, and the small iron ore furnaces of West Virginia could not compete. By World War I, only one iron mine, near Harpers Ferry, was still in operation.
At present, West Virginia cannot compete with the more accessible, large reserves of other states. However, there is iron in the State which could become a valuable resource if it is ever in short supply. (adapted from an article by Jane R. Eggleston, updated September 1996)

New Marker located at the trailhead by the parking lot for Henry Clay Iron Furnace in Cooper's Rock State Forest.

[EDIT: I just noticed - I wonder why they didn't capitalize the "C" in Cooper's?]

Same Marker - Side #2

View of the parking lot / trailhead area.

Looking down the trailhead towards the furnace. It's just under 1 mile.

One of the smoother sections of the trail to the furnace.

View of the furnace with me beside it for size perspective.

This wooden sign is located next to the furnace.

Another parting view of the furnace before hiking back to the bike.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 06-20-2010 at 02:40 PM
Old 06-20-2010, 06:43 AM   #1237
lostmarbles
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,887
nice, one of the nicest furnace I have seen! how long is the walk from the trail head

Don't tell me the skies the limit when there are footprints on the moon.

Have you seen my marbles?
you can't be lost if you still have half a tank
save 5$ on smugmug.com coupon #----(DE9oGz4LoiNZA )
lostmarbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:35 AM   #1238
pnoman OP
Just Average

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmarbles
how long is the walk from the trail head
It's not quite a mile, but is rather rocky in places (leave the baby strollers in the car), and is a moderate grade uphill/downhill for the first 5 minutes. I'm in pretty good shape, and hiked it in about 10-12 minutes each way, but I was moving along at a good clip. For a more relaxed walk, allow an hour or more round-trip for the hike and photos. Take drinking water with you - there are no fountains along the way.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 06-20-2010 at 02:51 PM
Old 06-21-2010, 03:15 PM   #1239
pnoman OP
Just Average

Monongalia Co / Preston Co Line - CR 73

Another marker that "was lost, but now I'm found!" It may not have even been missing, but rather overlooked. It's on a deserted section of the old 2-lane that parallels I-68 on the north side for about 2 miles. From the top of the mountain at Exit 15 (I-68), turn north about 100 yards and you must turn left (west) or right (east - into the truck weigh station). Turn west (towards Morgantown & Cheat Lake) and the marker is about 1/4 mile on your right.

For more information on Monongalia Co: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mononga..._West_Virginia

For more on Preston Co: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preston..._West_Virginia

You must visit Preston County in the fall for the Buckwheat Festival: http://www.buckwheatfest.com/ Mmmmmmm....

Historical Marker located on CR 73, 1/4 mile west of I-68 Exit 15 (Cooper's Rock Exit). Road parallels I-68 along the north side.

View westbound on CR 73 towards Morgantown & Cheat Lake. However, the road dead-ends about 2 miles ahead just before a runaway truck off-ramp. I-68 is visible through the tree line to the left.

Same Marker - Side #2. The model homestead project mentioned is Arthurdale (See Post #358 by your's truly). Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthurdale,_West_Virginia

View eastbound on CR 73 approaching the Cooper's Rock Exit (Exit 15 on I-68).

This plain cement post marks the county line. No inscriptions or markings at all.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 06-21-2010, 06:10 PM   #1240
pnoman OP
Just Average

Spreadsheet Update

The Spreadsheet has been updated to Post #1239 on 21 June 2010. Looks like we have about 805 documented.

There are still 17 markers listed as "Available", but several are known to not be in place. Perhaps the location listed is incorrect?? I'm planning to meet with Joe Geiger in the next week or two to try to tie up loose ends. I'll update then.

Keep your eyes peeled - I found a brand new marker just 10 miles from my home that is not even on the state list online yet.

www.RidingWV.com
Old 07-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #1241
Some Mook
Goin' Down Slow

Oddometer: 253
Wyoming / Mercer County marker, Rte. 10

Found this today, thought someone had already posted it, so I didn't record the co-ordinates. It was on Route 10 at the intersection of a local road, Flat Top 1, just behind where we parked the bikes.

Entering Wyoming County

Opposite side:

Wolf
Some Mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:42 PM   #1242
pnoman OP
Just Average

Rt 10 - Wyoming Co / Mercer Co

Good one, Mook. That's one we missed. Doesn't look like it was recently repainted, so it was probably in place. (Just guessing on that one)

There are many they replaced since this project began. I'm sure there will be many more that trickle into place over the coming year(s).

Remember Sheri Lewis and Lambchops - "This is the song that never ends, Yes it goes on and on my friends...." Well, this project may be kind of like that. Which is OK by me!
www.RidingWV.com
Old 07-07-2010, 05:58 PM   #1243
pnoman OP
Just Average

Missing and "Most Wanted"

A gentleman named TW Dean emailed me a photo of the very elusive "Indian Battle" marker in Upshur County that several of us have been looking for for over a year. It looks like it's really gone, since I recognize the location and have been by there several times. In fact, I pulled off the road and parked in that exact spot a few weeks ago so my wife could write down the phone # of a teacher supply store that is now advertised on the billboard.

Mr. Dean asked me to post the photo. It's not a motorcycle photo, so it's not Officially Official, but it's the only way we will see the marker for now. He said that he took the photo in 2006 or 2007.

Originally located on Old Rt 33 just about 1 mile west of downtown where the eastbound offramp from New Rt 33 comes down the hill.

File Photo of the Marker (2006 or 2007 - Now Missing) by TW Dean of Elkins. Thanks, TW!!

Most likely removed because of the reference to "savages". Not very politically correct now, is it?

The settlers in northwestern Virginia at first took no precautions of any kind, believing that they were too far from the Indian country to be molested. An attack led by the Cayuga chief Logan on the settlement at the mouth of Simpson's creek disillusioned them. Following the raid, the settlers in the vicinity of Clarksburg immediately erected Nutter's fort, which afforded protection as well to the Hacker's creek and Buckhannon settlements.
Local tradition, not well substantiated, says that Jesse Hughes and Elias Hughes, who afterwards became famous as scouts, were members of General Lewis's army at Point Pleasant, and Elias Hughes was reputed long afterwards to be the last survivor of the battle.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 07-08-2010 at 04:07 AM
Old 07-08-2010, 05:21 AM   #1244
pnoman OP
Just Average

Please rate this thread.

Well, how about some feedback? If you have followed this WV Historical Markers thread - either as a contributor or as a reader - please take a moment and rate how how good/bad we've done. There is a drop down on the upper right corner of the page right under the Page Numbers. Please be honest.

Thanks!!!
www.RidingWV.com
Old 07-09-2010, 08:18 AM   #1245
Grape_Ape
It Feels Good

Oddometer: 460
I think I found the location of the missing Hancock County marker listed as "Hancock County/State of Ohio". The location of this marker in the list is "First Street Weirton west of Carolina Avenue". I couldn't find a Carolina Avenue in Weirton.

The only logical pace for a State of Ohio marker to be located wold be near a bridge since Ohio and Hancock County are separated by the Ohio River. With that in mind I headed out Freedom Way toward the Fort Steuben Bridge. Sure enough, I found this evidence of a missing marker. That's the old Fort Steuben Bridge in the background. It is currently closed. I don't think there are any plans to restore and reopen it. I'll have to do more research on it when I get time.

I looked around a little bit to see if I could find the remnants of the marker on the ground but the crazy weeds were too thick.

Here's another shot of the pole with the new Route 22 Bridge in the background.

Grape_Ape is online now   Reply With Quote