ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2010, 10:26 AM   #1246
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 2,042
Sherlock Holmes rides a BMW

Great detective work there, Grape Ape. I was out that very road back in the spring when I went through Weirton. Spent 10-15 minutes looking around, but missed the pole. I'll make a note of it on the spreadsheet.

I'm meeting with Joe Geiger on Monday morning to tie up loose ends on the marker project, and it's things like this that will help us get a more definitive idea of what's really out there.

Thanks again!
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:59 PM   #1247
pnoman OP
Just Average

Spreadsheet Update

Spreadsheet is updated to Post #1229 on 9 July 2010.

Total Markers Documented - 806

Undocumented Markers - 15 (Not all unclaimed markers are in place - many are missing - will post updates on them after meeting with Joe Geiger July 12th)

There have been many markers replaced in the past year that are still listed as "Missing". We may an excuse for a few more rides.

Thanks again to all!!!
www.RidingWV.com
Old 07-10-2010, 03:50 AM   #1248
Some Mook
Goin' Down Slow

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape_Ape
That's the old Fort Steuben Bridge in the background. It is currently closed. I don't think there are any plans to restore and reopen it. I'll have to do more research on it when I get time.
The bridge is slated to be demolished soon.

Wolf
Some Mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:35 PM   #1249
Grape_Ape
It Feels Good

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Mook
The bridge is slated to be demolished soon.
Yeah, I read every thing Google had to offer on the bridge. It's a damn shame to think think that such an elegant and historic suspension bridge can't be saved.
Grape_Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:10 AM   #1250
pnoman OP
Just Average

It ain't over yet (But the fat lady's warming up)

I met with Joe Geiger (Director of the WV Dept of Archives and History) last week and got a bunch of updates (including several missing markers that have been recently replaced), which I am using to go through and REALLY update each marker on our spreadsheet. It's a slow and tedious process - matching each online posting with the current spreadsheet, then factoring in the new/refurbished markers Joe provided me with. I'm hoping to have a 98-99% accurate spreadsheet in the next couple of weeks. There will be several new "Available" markers on the list that were previously "Missing".

In the meantime, here are a few notes from his last email that may give you a riding destination this weekend.

Hey Mike:

The Heritage Village/B&O Railroad Depot marker is right on 11th Street on the other side of the building from the steam engine and accompanying marker.

Drove down Paint Creek Road but didn't see the Bull Moose Special marker. It's a new one.

Received word from D9 that the Keslers Cross Lanes marker in Nicholas County is missing.

Rick Reed contacted me concerning moving the Big Elm and Levi Shinn House markers, so that should be done soon.

A replacement Blockhouse on Indian Creek/Home of Isaac Estill marker is now up in Monroe County.

Replacement markers are up in Greenbrier County for Sam Black Church and Berea Sand.

I think I told you the Mud River Covered Bridge marker is up in Milton (Cabell County).

I'll let you know if I think of, see, or hear about others. Thank you so much for your dedication to the markers. You and your comrades have made a considerable impact on the program. More than 225 have been refurbished or replaced in the last two years and your photos provide confirmation of installation, and have helped in determining which markers need refurbished. Thanks to you and the guys (and Martha, of course) for being such a blessing. Best wishes, Joe
www.RidingWV.com
Old 07-24-2010, 07:28 AM   #1251
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,138
Killin' bugs, learnin' some history, spendin' some time with your sweety, and then get a pat on he back from somebody in the "Big House".

It's a warm fuzzy feelin'.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:12 PM   #1252
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,943
Question

Hey all

I know this isn't the best place so I will nuke the post tomorrow...

Can anyone help this stranded ADVr in Beckley

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...66&postcount=1

What goes around comes around...
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:26 PM   #1253
pnoman OP
Just Average

Sorry HBN - I'm out of town with the wife. Pretty worthless, I am.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 08-06-2010, 11:14 AM   #1254
pnoman OP
Just Average

Sam Black Church - Greenbrier Co

Excerpts from usgwarchives website: http://files.usgwarchives.org/wv/gre...s/samblack.txt

BECKLEY POST-HERALD, BECKLEY, W.V., MONDAY MORNING, APRIL 8, 1946

Probably no West Virginia minister has exerted a greater influence in the spiritual lives of the Mountaineers than this Methodist circuit rider who was known from one end of the state to the other. The name Sam Black still rings familiar to the ear of many an oldster who, as a boy, listened to the calm, plain-spoken sermons of the black-bearded minister who rode up and down the hills, along the hollows and into the byways where strangers were seldom seen.

Sam Black was a native of Greenbrier County, the son of a hardy pioneer, who followed William McClung, the first white settler on Meadow River, across the Alleghanies to the mouth of Big Clear Creek. Sam Black early turned to the ministry. Yet, despite the amount of time he spent "circuit riding" over vast areas, he operated one of the finest farms of his day along Meadow River, at Rupert.

During the Civil War the Yankees had little liking for Rev. Sam Black. The Methodist minister was a strong Southern sympathizer-and during most of the war years he constantly kept his faithful horse saddled and hitched at the gate in order to make a quick get-away when the Union soldiers came.

Shortly after Rev. Black's death, the prosperous farmers in the community immediately began plans for the erection of a new church dedicated to the memory of the circuit rider. In 1901 they dedicated the "Sam Black Methodist Memorial Church," which stands at the junction of the Smoot Road and the Midland Trail.

This marker was just refurbished / repainted. It had been missing for a while.

Historical Marker located on Rt 60 just south and east of I-64 about 15 miles west of Lewisburg.

Same marker - Side #2

View of the church and marker.

View south/east on Rt 60 passing by the church on the way to Lewisburg.

View north/west on Rt 60 passing the church. I-64 is just ahead maybe 1/2 mile.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 08-19-2010, 05:20 PM   #1255
pnoman OP
Just Average

Randolph Co / Upshur Co Line - Rt 151

Yes, there are still markers left out there!!

Located about midway between Elkins and Buckhannon on Rt 151, near the town of Burnt Bridge. This road was once the main highway between Elkins and Buckhannon, now replaced by the new 4-lane Rt 33.

Historical Marker at the Randolph Co / Upshur Co line on Rt 151.

View eastbound on Rt 151 heading towards Elkins.

Same Marker - Side #2

View westbound on Rt 151 heading towards Buckhannon.

Abel Upshur was an interesting man:

Secretary of the Navy: Upshur's political reach became national when John Tyler became President of the United States in 1841 and selected him to become the 13th United States Secretary of the Navy in October of that year. He served from 1841-1843.

Secretary of State: In July 1843, President Tyler appointed Upshur United States Secretary of State, to succeed Daniel Webster, who had resigned. His chief accomplishment was advocating for the annexation of the Republic of Texas as a slave state.

USS Princeton Explosion: On February 28, 1844, while joining the President and many other dignitaries for a Potomac River cruise on the new steamship USS Princeton, Secretary Upshur and several others were killed when one of the ship's guns exploded. He is buried at the Congressional Cemetery in Washington, D.C.

For more information on Randolph Co:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randolp..._West_Virginia

http://www.elkinswv.com/

For more information on Upshur Co:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upshur_..._West_Virginia

http://www.buchamber.com/
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 08-20-2010 at 05:18 AM
Old 08-19-2010, 05:32 PM   #1256
pnoman OP
Just Average

Townsend's Ferry - Fayette Co

Located on CR 82 almost directly under the Rt 19 New River Gorge Bridge, next to the old bridge across the New River.

This one was not on the state list. I just happened to be riding by, and it didn't look familiar, so I documented it.

I came up dry Google'ing. I'll keep trying and will post anything I find.

Historical Marker with the New River Gorge Bridge in the background.

Same Marker - Side #2

View west with the New River Gorge Bridge.

View east approaching the Tunney Hunsaker Bridge (see next photo)

Tunney Hunsaker Bridge is the old way across the New River (before the "Big" 4-lane bridge about 1/4 mile west.

View from the Tunney Hunsaker Bridge up the New River towards the new bridge (Rt 19). This would have been the area of the Townsend's Ferry.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 08-19-2010 at 06:17 PM
Old 09-03-2010, 03:07 PM   #1257
pnoman OP
Just Average

Benjamin Wilson - Randolph Co

Yes, there are still markers out there. Updated spreadsheet coming soon.

I was looking in the wrong spot for these the past year, since the WV Markers Book says they are on Rt 219/250 about 5 miles south of Elkins. Thanks to the gentleman at the Elkins DOT Sign Office, I found this marker and the Wilson's Fort (see next post) on Country Club Road about 1/2 mile west of Rt 250 (turnoff is just south of WalMart, about 2 miles south of the "Hiawatha Girl" where Rt 33 splits off to Seneca Rocks.

From website: http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...d/randolph.htm

Benjamin Wilson, although he left Randolph county soon after its formation, was one of the most widely know and influential men the county has had in its century or more of existence. The following biography is from the American Historical Record, 1873, edited by Benson J. Lossing:

Colonel Benjamin Wilson was born in Frederick County, now Shenandoah County Virginia, November 30, 1747. His father, William Wilson, was a Scotch-Irishman who emigrated from the Province of Ulster Ireland, in 1737 and in that or the following year settled in the Shenandoah Valley Virginia, where in 1746, he married Elizabeth Blackburn whose family was also of Scotch -Irish origin. Before Benjamin had passed his early childhood yeas his father's family was permanently located on Trout run near the South Branch of the Potomac, then in Frederick, now Hardy County West Virginia, 30 miles from Winchester. Here Benjamin reached his manhood. Little is known of him during his minority except that he made himself useful on his father's farm at Trout Run. His opportunities to acquire an education were very limited but he devoted his leisure hours to studies, which tended to fit him for a successful business career. On September 4, 1770, he married Ann Ruddell and soon thereafter became a resident of Tygart's Valley in what is now Randolph county W.VA.

In 1774 he was attached as a lieutenant to the right wing of Lord Dunsmore's army which marched against the old Chillicothe towns on the Scioto River. For a time he served as an aid to Lord Dunmore, the commander-in -chief.. He rendered very efficient service during the campaign, a competent and reliable authority declaring that he acquired by his zeal and attention to duty the confidence of his superior officers. Early in the Revolution he was appointed to a captaincy in the Virginia forces, doing duty mainly on the frontiers; and to the close of the revolutionary struggle he was the organ through which most of the military and civil business of the part of the State in which he resided and transacted. He frequently served as commander of the forces raised to pursue marauding parties of Indians and in all these expeditions he was prompt, influential and conspicuously courageous, as well as prudent and judicious. His distinguished abilities secured him a colonel's commission in 1781. At the close of the Revolutionary War he served for several session in the Legislature of Virginia, from the count of Monongalia.

In 1784 he secured the organization of Harrison County, it being taken from the county of Monongalia. He was then appointed the first clerk of the county of Harrison, but his duties as such did not with draw him from other public duties, nor from politics, although he retained the office until near the close of his life. He was elected and served as a delegate in the Convention of Virginia in March 1788, which ratified the Constitution of the United States. He was a Federalist in politics and was one of the acknowledged leaders of the Federal party in Western Virginia until the close of the war of 1812 when party lines were obliterated, and parties themselves were dissolved the consummation being the election of James Monroe to the Presidency of the United States.

"Colonel Wilson was a man of varied and extensive business operations, of much general information, of genial temper, of stalwart person, of most dignified bearing, of undoubted patriotism, of unimpeachable integrity of character and of the elegance that characterized the true Virginia gentleman of the old school. He was not unmindful of the claims of religion upon him and he sustained to the close of his life an irreproachable Christian character."

Randolph County had two delegates in that famous convention, Colonel Benjamin Wilson and his brother John. The other members from what is now West Virginia were Berkeley County, William Drake and Adam Stephen; Greenbrier, George Glendenin and John Stuart; Hampshire, Alexander Wodrow and Ralph Humphreys; Harrison, George Jackson and John Prunty; Hardy, Isaac Van Meter and Abel Seymour; Jefferson, Robert Breckenridge and rice Bullock; Mercer, Thomas Allen and Alexander Robertson; Monogalia, John Evans and William McCleary; Ohio, Archibald Woods and Ebenezer Zane.

As shown in the case of this record, slender is the thread by which many a valuable historical item is preserved. The dates of the births of William Wilson's children were found on a blank leaf of an old book: "Record of the Fifth Congress".now in the possession of Lewis Wilson of Phillipi who supplied the information for his book. Col. Benjamin Wilson of Clarksburg furnished the dates of the deaths. No one know when or by whom the record was written on the leaf of the old book, but it was there by preserved and numerous descendants--perhaps hundreds--of William Wilson are thereby enabled to trace their family back to the old country. These descendants are found throughout West Virginia and many states.

nt
Historical Marker located on CR 219/11 (Country Club Road) about 1/2 mile west of Rt 219/250, and about 1/4 mile east of the Elkins Airport.

Same Marker - Side #2

View south-west bound on CR 219/11. The marker for Wilson's Fort is visible ahead to the left.

View north-east bound on CR 219/11 coming towards the junction with Rt 219/250. The stone monument is for Wilson's Fort (see Marker and photos coming up next).
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 09-04-2010 at 06:42 AM
Old 09-03-2010, 03:18 PM   #1258
pnoman OP
Just Average

Wilson't Fort - Randolph Co

Located just across the road from the previous "Benjamin Wilson" Marker on Country Club Road (CR 219/11) about 2 miles south of Elkins.

I could not find much information on the fort itself. See the previous post to read more about Col. Wilson.

Col. Benjamin Wilson's Fort
(1774 - unknown), near Midland
A settlers' fort located about one-half mile above the mouth of Chenoweth Creek on the Tygart Valley River. It was still in use in 1782. A monument marks the site, located about two miles south of Elkins.

Historical Marker located on Country Club Road (CR 219/11) about 1/2 mile west of the junction with Rt 219/250, about 2 miles south of Elkins (Just south of Wal Mart).

Same Marker - Side #2

View south-west bound on CR 219/11.

View north-east bound on CR 219/11 approaching the junction with Rt 219/250. The Elkins Airport is just to the left about 1/4 mile. You can see the stone monument for the fort ahead and to the left, next to the other marker (Benjamin Wilson).

Better view of the stone monument.

Upper plaque on monument.

Lower plaque on monument. Interesting to note that this was the actual cornerstone of the fort.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 09-03-2010, 03:41 PM   #1259
pnoman OP
Just Average

Spreadsheet Update - Only 26 Markers Remaining

I've spent the past month going through the spreadsheet marker by marker and double-checking the forum, as well as comparing it to lists of recently-replaced markers provided by Joe Geiger. I've also talked to the sign shops at a few of the state DOT offices. To the best of my knowledge, this list should now be about 96%-98% accurate.

Spreadsheet is now updated to 3 September 2010 - Post #1258. It looks like there are only 25 markers remaining! As far as I can tell, all of these 25 remaining markers were either never "tagged" or were recently replaced/repainted. They should be in place.

Great job everyone - let's wrap it up before the snow flies.

REMAINING MARKERS :

COUNTY MARKER
GreenbrierBig Lime (R)Rt 219 south of Renick - Replacement was damaged - may not have been replaced yet(X)
PocahontasHuntersville (Duplicate of #924 ??)Rt 39?
CabellMud River Covered Bridge (R)CR25 - S of Milton at Fairground EntrancePOSTEDX
CabellB&O Railroad - Heritage Village11th St / 3rd Ave - Huntington POSTEDX
CabellWar Between The States Generals / Spring Hill Cem. Norway Ave - Huntington - Spr Hill Cemt. POSTEDX
CabellWoody Williams Bridge (R)Rt 60 / Rt 19 - Barboursville/Merritts Cr RdPOSTEDX
FayetteVandalia CemeteryHigh St, FayettevilleX
GreenbrierBerea Sand (R)Rt 60 near CaldwellX
HampshireHampshire Co / Mineral CoRt 28X
JacksonKenna (R)Rt 34 - Just south of I-77X
JacksonWashington's Lands (R)Rt 2 - Ravenswood, 1mi S. of Rt 33/68X
KanawhaWashington's Land10th St, Dunbar, S. of Rt 25X
KanawhaBangor CemeteryLocation? X
MarshallWashington's Land #1Rt 2, S. of Moundsville, N-bound side roadX
MarshallBenwood Mine Disaster (R)South Marshall St, BenwoodX
MasonGen John McCausland (R)Rt 2, below Henderson CemeteryX
McDowellWelchRt 52 Overlook, 1mi E. of Rt 103 (Hard2C)X
MineralMineral Co / Hampshire CoRt 28X
MingoThomas Smith (R)Rt 52, CR 13, West of GilbertX
MingoWV (Mingo Co) / KentuckyOld Rt 119, Downtown WilliamsonX
MorganBerkeley Springs SanitariumBerkeley Springs State Park - In MuseumX
MorganProspect PeakRt 9, 3mi West of Berkeley SpringsX
PendletonGravesite of John DollyCR 9/4 off CR 9, near Riverton POSTEDX
PrestonMason-Dixon Line Rt 26, 11mi north of I-68 Exit 23X
RandolphBig LimeRt 15; Between Valley Head-Webster CoX
WayneRevolutionary War Soldier's GraveJennies Creek Bridge, near CrumX
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 09-15-2010 at 05:46 PM
Old 09-06-2010, 01:44 PM   #1260
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,138
Bramwell / Mill Creek Coal & Coke Co

Bramwell / Mill Creek Coal & Coke Co, CR 120, Bramwell, 2mi W. of Rt 52

Right where it is supposed to be. I would be satisfied with a nickle for every time I have rode past this since this thread has been started. Sheesh, how blind can I/we be? My only excuse is that it is a little hard to see coming from the VA line towards Bramwell, that is the way I regularly run it. Note the little extra twinkle in Martha's eye, we will get to that in a few. But first, the formalities.

Looking Southwest

Looking Northeast

The marker is located just yards from the "Coopers" line. You can have a short read and view a few pics of Coopers in the day here.

And get a shot of Bramwell here.

Martha and I were on a breakfast run to a cafe in Bramwell that has eluded us for 4-5 attempts. This time was no different, they just don't keep our hours. So, plan B was Bob Evans in Bluefield VA or bust. So what was that twinkle in Martha's eye, besides BE gravy, you might ask? Martha was unpillionated this day, we were both armed with light artillery.

I did get a pic of the Train Station/Visitors center in Bramwell before we came across the marker. While sharing a 6oz bottle of DR. Pepper, we laid out our change in battle plan here after the failed assault on the Bramwell cafe.

Adapt, and overcome.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."

intothenew screwed with this post 09-06-2010 at 01:50 PM
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote