ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2010, 02:20 PM   #1261
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 2,006
Hey, you found one that was still listed as "Missing"! That's why I didn't claim my spreadsheet was 100% accurate. Probably never will be.

Nice to see you guys pull a dual tag.
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:35 PM   #1262
WVdyhrd
mudhole 400 guy

Oddometer: 2,545
Kinda new the marker thing. I think this one was up for grabs. Inmate Stotts lead me over there today to grab one, and he should be around shortly with some solo :)

"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool." -Bill
Shakes
WVdyhrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:52 PM   #1263
stotts
back up in there

Oddometer: 31
Wicked Finishing Cabell County markers (I think)

So ive been checking this thread for a few days and there are some unchecked in my neck of the woods. after lunch i took a 3min ride downtown and stopped here

this is right in the heart of Huntington, even though its in town there are still some GREAT roads just a few stoplights away! the marker is by the new Huntington tourism office and a few neat shops, right around the corner is Pullman square with shopping, movies and lots of good places to fill your gut.

stotts screwed with this post 09-07-2010 at 05:50 AM
stotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:08 PM   #1264
stotts
back up in there

just a short ride through town, and past Marshall University, i rode 20th street to norway ave. at the top of the hill sits my next stop.

once again, in town and cant really crank it, but your not far away (the scenery on campus is a HUGE plus)!
Old 09-06-2010, 08:24 PM   #1265
stotts
back up in there

from Spring Hill Cemetery i stayed on norway which turns into washington blvd. then across rt.60 to altizer and picked up guyan river road, its my daily commute road, nice and relaxed curvy and light traveled. at the end of the road sat my 3rd marker for the day!

when i left here i stopped to meet with WVdyhrd and off we went to find the 4th tag of the day! this last stretch is where the ridin picked up. two plus hours of backroads to do what would have taken 15 min on rt.60
Old 09-06-2010, 08:48 PM   #1266
stotts
back up in there

Talking

merrits creek rd. to rt.2(shortly) then nine mile out to fairview ridge. fairview over to spurlock creek down to union ridge. up and over union ridge then picked up barker ridge. barker ridge ends at a four way stop and straight ahead is dry ridge. dry ridge turns into whitten ridge through mason county and spills out on johns creek. johns creek takes you into Milton and what should we find

today was a great day! good weather, perfect really, ridin with another inmate, missed a turn but found a new road and small store. ended up back on track and finished out the Cabell County (i think) markers list with WVdyhrd's pic!
Old 09-07-2010, 03:51 AM   #1267
pnoman OP
Just Average

WVdyhrd and Stotts,

Thanks for the new markers! Mud River Covered Bridge, Spring Hill Cemetery, and Woody Williams Bridge are 3 of the remaining ones. I will try to update the spreadsheet tonight. Our computer crashed this weekend and I'm just getting everything re-installed. Thank God I back things up regularly!! Only a few recent emails went up in smoke.

The Elk River Coal /#10 Steam Locomotive was documented earlier (post #959) by your's truly. However, I never found the B&O Railroad at Heritage Village Marker. Joe Geiger lives in Huntington and told me it was really close to the #10 Locomotive marker, just back in behind a couple buildings where it's hard to spot.

My wife and I were at the Cabell County Fair last month and saw the Mud River Covered Bridge marker, but I was in the minivan. We might have to go back for the Pumpkin Festival, though.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 09-07-2010 at 05:53 PM
Old 09-07-2010, 05:54 AM   #1268
stotts
back up in there

Talking Ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoman

The Elk River Coal /#10 Steam Locomotive was documented earlier (post #959) by your's truly.
Why...... what ever do you mean

‎"Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. Dr. Seuss
Old 09-07-2010, 12:49 PM   #1269
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,340
Quote:
WVdyhrd and Stotts,

Thanks for the new markers! Mud River Covered Bridge, Spring Hill Cemetery, and Woody Williams Bridge are 3 of the remaining ones. I will try to update the spreadsheet tonight. Out computer crashed this weekend and I'm just getting everything re-installed. Thank God I back things up regularly!! Only a few recent emails went up in smoke.

The Elk River Coal /#10 Steam Locomotive was documented earlier (post #959) by your's truly. However, I never found the B&O Railroad at Heritage Village Marker. Joe Geiger lives in Huntington and told me it was really close to the #10 Locomotive marker, just back in behind a couple buildings where it's hard to spot.

My wife and I were at the Cabell County Fair last month and saw the Mud River Covered Bridge marker, but I was in the minivan. We might have to go back for the Pumpkin Festival, though.
I perked up when I saw this one mainly due to the mention of Widen. This little Clay County community is almost one of those you can't get there from here kinda places. Once a propersous coal town, it's demise began when the great coal wars got really nasty back in the 40's and early 50's.

My dad's first teaching job was in the coal company school at Widen in 1932. He left after a year.

They have reunion each year and my dad went for a number of years. It used to be a really big 2-3 day deal with blue grass bands, dancing and the like, but is a little more subdued now. I went to one in 2004 just to see the place 'cause it's always piqued my interest for some reason. My dad, an avid photographer, never took a picture as best my sister and I can tell.

Shots of my visit can be seen at:

http://gbyoung2.smugmug.com/Motorcyc.../6830476_Di2Ju
Old 09-07-2010, 04:43 PM   #1270
pnoman OP
Just Average

Quote:
However, I never found the B&O Railroad at Heritage Village Marker.
OOPS! I went back and looked at your post #1263 again - How did I miss that one?? Probably the same way I missed the marker the first time. Duhhh..

Quote:
Originally Posted by stotts
Why...... what ever do you mean
Wait a minute...... did you just pull a fast edit on me?
WV Historical Markers Project
www.RidingWV.com
Old 09-07-2010, 05:57 PM   #1271
stotts
back up in there

Wink

Quote:
Wait a minute...... did you just pull a fast edit on me?
Ha, i was wondering if you were going to call me out!
yes i changed it, i rode to the first sign and jumped off the bike, i was on to the next one without looking, bring it on i deserve it.

‎"Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. Dr. Seuss
Old 09-09-2010, 06:57 PM   #1272
Stedlo
Out and About

Oddometer: 189
The "second" Pringle Tree marker, located in Pringle Tree Park, out Pringle Tree Road off of Route 20, just north of Buckhannon.

Stedlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:24 AM   #1273
pnoman OP
Just Average

Gravesite of John Dolly - Pendleton County

Located in Pendleton County. This is the current WV Tag-O-Rama, so I will wait until it is "tagged" to give detailed directions. I like to make it a little bit of a challenge.

EDIT: Stedlo found it, so here are the directions: From Riverton, take CR 9 (Germany Valley Road) east about 1/2 mile. You will first go over a small bridge, then pass a small memorial to the Battle of Riverton. After passing one more small road on the right, you will come to CR9-4 "Horse-Ridge Road". Turn right, and the narrow road quickly climbs to the top of the ridge. Follow this road about a mile, and the road forks - turn left and follow the "Dead End" section out a little over a mile. You're there!

I could not find out much on John Dolly (Dahle) except that he was one of the early settlers in this part of the state, and the nearby Dolly Sods was named after him.

About the Hessians (excerpt from Wikipedia): The Hessian soldiers were eighteenth-century German regiments hired through their rulers by the British Empire. Though used in several conflicts, they are most widely associated with combat operations in the American Revolutionary War.

After the war ended in 1783, some 17,313 Hessian soldiers returned to their homelands. Of the 12,526 who did not return, about 7,700 had died. Some 1,200 were killed in action and 6,354 died from illness or accidents, mostly the former. The high rate of fatalities from disease during wartime was a recurring element up until improvements in sanitation and understanding of germ theory in the late 19th century. Approximately 5,000 Hessians settled in North America, both in the United States and Canada. In some cases, their commanders refused to take them back to Germany because they were criminals or physically unfit. Most of the men married and settled amongst the population of the newly formed United States. Many became farmers or craftsmen and were able to take advantage of opportunities in the new country. The number of their direct descendants living in the U.S. and Canada today is a subject of debate.

Historical Marker - Side #1

Historical Marker - Side #2

View north-east bound

View south-west bound

I spotted the cemetery up on the hill above the marker about 200 yards under a group of trees. Time for a hike!

View of the cemetery. John Dolly's grave is just on this side of the first tree on the left. His wife's grave is on the other side of the tree. (See below)

Mary's grave (wife) is to the left of the tree - John's grave is to the right.

John's gravestone.

Mary's gravestone. Ten kids!!!

View down the hill from cemetery. The marker and my bike are barely visible to the left of the center tree, along the white fence.

John Dolly's view of the countryside (gravestone is visible in lower RH corner of photo)

On the way back out to the highway, this spectacular view makes you want to stop and soak it all in before heading down off of the ridge.

Like I said earlier, I will post more detailed directions/location when the WV Tag is claimed.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 09-12-2010 at 09:58 AM
Old 09-12-2010, 06:33 AM   #1274
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,468
rats! i was in that area friday/saturday on a road trip from nyc (trip report to come). i was accommodated in the nearby 'general store' that has a view of a very cool geological formation. i saw the sign for Dolly Sods but had no idea what it was (i assumed another touristy trap thingy).

i rode wv from the wheeling area to the new river gorge bridge - across the state west to lesage for a hotdog, and back up the ohio river (mostly) to wheeling. i then did it again but this time more-or-less diagonally to the nearby location of this tag. i'm sure i missed a whole lot more that is wild and wonderful in wv!

i really enjoyed your state and hope to spend more time there; it was wide open and traffic was non-existent. the roads are often pleasantly twisty and fun.

back to your regularly scheduled tag hunt!
loph917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:57 AM   #1275
pnoman OP
Just Average

Quote:
Originally Posted by loph917
rats! i was in that area friday/saturday on a road trip from nyc (trip report to come). i was accommodated in the nearby 'general store' that has a view of a very cool geological formation. i saw the sign for Dolly Sods but had no idea what it was (i assumed another touristy trap thingy).

i rode wv from the wheeling area to the new river gorge bridge - across the state west to lesage for a hotdog, and back up the ohio river (mostly) to wheeling. i then did it again but this time more-or-less diagonally to the nearby location of this tag. i'm sure i missed a whole lot more that is wild and wonderful in wv!

i really enjoyed your state and hope to spend more time there; it was wide open and traffic was non-existent. the roads are often pleasantly twisty and fun.

back to your regularly scheduled tag hunt!
Glad you had a nice visit to WV. You were within about 15 miles of the tag. Gee, what would we have done if you moved the tag up to NYC? Queens? Harlem? Lon-gisland? (isn't that how they pronounce it?) Road trip!!

PM me if you are ever coming back through. I enjoy playing tour guide.
www.RidingWV.com