ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2010, 05:10 PM   #1276
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,913
Marker Spreadsheet is updated to 15 Sept 2010 - Post #1273

Available Markers Remaining:

FayetteVandalia CemeteryHigh St, Fayetteville
GreenbrierBerea Sand (R)Rt 60 near Caldwell
HampshireHampshire Co / Mineral CoRt 28
JacksonKenna (R)Rt 34 - Just south of I-77
JacksonWashington's Lands (R)Rt 2 - Ravenswood, 1mi S. of Rt 33/68
KanawhaWashington's Land10th St, Dunbar, S. of Rt 25
KanawhaBangor CemeteryLocation? (** See Note Below)
MarshallWashington's Land #1Rt 2, S. of Moundsville, N-bound side road
MarshallBenwood Mine Disaster (R)South Marshall St, Benwood
MasonGen John McCausland (R)Rt 2, below Henderson Cemetery
McDowellWelchRt 52 Overlook, 1mi E. of Rt 103 (Hard2C)
MineralMineral Co / Hampshire CoRt 28
MingoThomas Smith (R)Rt 52, CR 13, West of Gilbert
MingoWV (Mingo Co) / KentuckyOld Rt 119, Downtown Williamson
MorganBerkeley Springs SanitariumBerkeley Springs State Park - In Museum
MorganProspect PeakRt 9, 3mi West of Berkeley Springs
PrestonMason-Dixon Line Rt 26, 11mi north of I-68 Exit 23
PrestonPreston Co / MarylandRt 219
RandolphBig LimeRt 15; Between Valley Head-Webster Co
WayneRevolutionary War Soldier's Grave
Jennies Creek Bridge, near Crum

(R) Indicates recently repainted/refurbished/replaced markers

** Bangor Cemetery - I found a website with directions - not sure where the marker is or if this is actually the same cemetery - looks like lots of old stones, so maybe: St. Albans, Kanawha County, West Virginia N 38 22.604' W 081 48.418'

Directions:

SE corner of S. Walnut Street and Kanawha Terrace.

Only 20 Left!

I may have to put on my detective hat/helmet and go looking for some of the 300+ missing ones now.
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 09-16-2010 at 02:31 AM
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:05 PM   #1277
WVdyhrd
mudhole 400 guy

Oddometer: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoman
Marker Spreadsheet is updated to 15 Sept 2010 - Post #1273

Available Markers Remaining:

FayetteVandalia CemeteryHigh St, Fayetteville
GreenbrierBerea Sand (R)Rt 60 near Caldwell
HampshireHampshire Co / Mineral CoRt 28
JacksonKenna (R)Rt 34 - Just south of I-77
JacksonWashington's Lands (R)Rt 2 - Ravenswood, 1mi S. of Rt 33/68
KanawhaWashington's Land10th St, Dunbar, S. of Rt 25
KanawhaBangor CemeteryLocation?
MarshallWashington's Land #1Rt 2, S. of Moundsville, N-bound side road
MarshallBenwood Mine Disaster (R)South Marshall St, Benwood
MasonGen John McCausland (R)Rt 2, below Henderson Cemetery
McDowellWelchRt 52 Overlook, 1mi E. of Rt 103 (Hard2C)
MineralMineral Co / Hampshire CoRt 28
MingoThomas Smith (R)Rt 52, CR 13, West of Gilbert
MingoWV (Mingo Co) / KentuckyOld Rt 119, Downtown Williamson
MorganBerkeley Springs SanitariumBerkeley Springs State Park - In Museum
MorganProspect PeakRt 9, 3mi West of Berkeley Springs
PrestonMason-Dixon Line Rt 26, 11mi north of I-68 Exit 23
PrestonPreston Co / MarylandRt 219
RandolphBig LimeRt 15; Between Valley Head-Webster Co
WayneRevolutionary War Soldier's Grave
Jennies Creek Bridge, near Crum

(R) Indicates recently repainted/refurbished/replaced markers

Only 20 Left!

I may have to put on my detective hat/helmet and go looking for some of the 300+ missing ones now.
hey stotts I see one for us,,,,,am i sensing a two bike grab again?

"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool." -Bill
Shakes
WVdyhrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:34 AM   #1278
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,161
FYI----

The jackson county "washingtons land" Is there, I went past it in a cage one day. The Randolph county "Big LIme" on rt15 is there as well, again I was in a cage.

I cannot find that Gen McCausland Mason county marker to save my life. Or the Damn marker in Dunbar.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:22 PM   #1279
stotts
back up in there

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVdyhrd
hey stotts I see one for us,,,,,am i sensing a two bike grab again?
lets try to work it out!

‎"Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. Dr. Seuss
stotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:06 PM   #1280
pnoman OP
Just Average

The Motherlode of Eastern Panhandle Markers

I was like a kid in a candy store!!! Last week, I called over to the DOH Sign Shop in Burlington (on Rt 50 just west of Romney) and spoke to the Supervisor, the "Sign Man" himself, Doug Placka. He was very helpful and seemed interested in helping us with our project. Their shop is responsible for all signs (including the Historical Markers) for 7 counties from Grant County all the way east to Jefferson County. This guy knows his markers, so when he told me there were several old markers (on their way out) and several new markers (new and just-refurbished), I knew I had to ride over there Tuesday and see for myself. It was well worth the trip! Doug took his time and patiently helped me document the 20+ markers there as well as answering my endless questions about missing ones in all 7 counties. Total time spent - 2-1/2 hours! THANK YOU, DOUG!!

First, let's look at the old markers laying outside in the "graveyard". Most of these were beyond repair and will be melted down into Harley-Davidson accessories . Many of these were on our "Missing" list, so this is the only chance to photograph them until/unless a replacement is procured.

Here we go..........

View of the old markers.

Closer view of the old ones.

Mr. Doug Placka and some of the old markers. He was kind enough to unstack them and line them up along the fence so I could get good photos! Thanks!

Oriskany-Helderberg : Mineral County / Rt 46. Listed as Missing. Broken mounting base. No replacement scheduled yet.

Jefferson CO / Berkeley Co Line - Rt 45 or Rt 9??? Both are listed as Missing. (This is Jefferson Co side of Marker) Broken mounting base and severe weathering. No replacement scheduled yet. This one is certainly one of the "worst condition" markers I've seen in the entire state. Looks like it's led a long, rough life through some tough winters.

Jefferson Co / Berkeley Co Line - Same Marker - Side #2 (Berkeley Co) Listed as Missing.

Old Pack Horse Ford : Jefferson Co. Vatrader01 took a photo of this actual marker while it was still on the pole - see Post #112. I don't see any notes about a replacement, so I'm assuming there is no marker on the pole now. I don't know if this one is repairable.

Old Tuscarora Church: Berkeley Co. Listed as Missing. Broken mounting base. This one is scheduled for future replacement/repair.

Fairfax Line: Grant County. Mounting base and bottom section broken off. This one has special memories for me, as I remember seeing it coming south out of Petersburg on the way back to the farm when I was a kid riding in my Grandfather's pickup. No replacement scheduled for this one.

Oriskany Sand. There are several of these in different counties that are missing, so I don't know where this one is from. Broken mounting base and bottom section. There is a new one in their shop waiting to be installed - wherever.

Lost and Found : Hardy County. Listed as Missing. No replacement scheduled. Mounting base and bottom section broken off.

Jackson Home / Howard's Lick : Hardy County. Listed as Missing. Big crack under the word "Buckhannon" just above the lower seam. Repairable??? Side #1 of marker.

Jackson Home / Howard's Lick - same marker, Side #2. Crack is very visible on this photo under "Gen. Robert E. Lee".

Keyes Gap : Jefferson County. Vatrader01 got photos of this actual marker while it was still on the pole - see Post #86. Even the 2 bullet holes match. (Bottom right, and top right under the word "Historic") Top seal, bottom mount and bottom section broken off. No replacement scheduled yet.

Tuscarora Clinton Sand : Grant County. Listed as Missing. Bottom mount and bottom section broken off. No replacement scheduled yet.

Grant Co / Hardy Co Line on Rt 220 east of Petersburg. Side #1. Vatrader took a photo of the empty pole earlier this year (Edit: Post #1082 / Page 73). The missing section is still on the pole along Rt 220. Listed as Missing. Mounting base and bottom section broken off. No replacement scheduled yet.

Grand Co / Hardy Co Line (Rt 220) - Side #2.

Prospect Peak : Morgan County. Listed as Missing. This one may be repairable, and was on a separate stack.

Lover's Leap : Morgan County. Listed as Missing. Mounting base and bottom section broken off, plus severe erosion on bottom RH corner. Not scheduled for replacement yet.

I'm out of time, so I will add the NEW Markers on the next posting - hopefully in the next day or two. I will also be updating the spreadsheet to show the markers that are ready to be replaced.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 09-23-2010 at 04:44 AM
Old 09-25-2010, 02:49 PM   #1281
pnoman OP
Just Average

Eastern Panhandle Markers : Part II (New Markers)

After looking through all of the old markers outside, it was time to move on to the new ones. These are new markers and repainted/refurbished markers waiting to be installed. Doug and his crew are responsible for 7 counties, so these are understandably not at the top of the priority list. I will mark them on the spreadsheet as Available with a (T) for tentative.

The markers are stored next door to the shop in an old abandoned church. It is not usable because of weak floors and other safety issues, so is used for sign storage until it is taken down. Inside, Doug showed me about a dozen markers waiting to see daylight, either for the first time or once again.

The Old Church, next to the DOH Sign Shop.

WOW! Look what's just inside the door. I knew this was going to be good, but not THIS good! View to the left.

View to the right down the hallway.

Marker #1 - Side #1 : WV (Morgan County) / Virginia line on Rt 522. Listed as Missing.

Marker #1 - Side #2 : WV (Morgan County) / Virginia line on Rt 522.

Marker #2 - Side #1 : WV (Morgan Co) / Maryland line on Rt 522. Listed as Missing. (One of two identical markers)

Marker #2 - Side #2 : WV (Morgan Co) / Maryland - Rt 522.

Marker #3 - Side #1 : (Duplicate of Marker #2) - WV (Morgan Co) / Maryland line - Rt 522. Listed as Missing. Somehow, 2 markers were ordered, so they will probably put them both up near the border.

Marker #3 - Side #2 : WV (Morgan Co) / Maryland line - Rt 522.

Marker #4 - Stonewall Jackson Hill (Morgan Co - Rt 522 at WV/MD border) Vatrader01 photographed the old marker on Post #330. This one will eventually replace it.

Marker #5. Original marker?? This may be the repainted/refurbished marker that Vatrader01 photographed on Post #330. Either way, there are 2 of these now, and both will probably be erected near the WV/MD border on Rt 522.

Marker #6 - Fort Evans (Berkeley Co - Rt 11, south of Martinsburg) Listed as Missing. Looks like a repainted/refurbished marker.

Marker #7 - By King's Command (Grant Co - east of Gormania) This one has been driving me NUTS the past year as I slowly cruised up and down the mountain east of Gormania is search of it and the Fort Ogden marker that are supposed to be in the same area. Listed as Missing.

Marker #8 - Locust Hill (Jefferson Co - Rt 51 east of Harewood) Listed as Missing. It looks like the mounting base broke off, and they are using a clamp-on/bolt-on base designed to repair such markers. If you go back up to the 3rd photo (View to the right down the hallway) you will see several of these mounting brackets laying inverted on the floor past the doorway.

Marker #9 - Shepherdstown (Jefferson Co) - One of two marker locations listed as Missing. Not sure which one it will replace.

Marker #10 - Side #1 : Berkeley Co / Morgan Co Line : Rt 9. Vatrader also photographed the old marker on Post #194.

Marker #10 - Side #2 : Berkeley Co / Morgan Co Line - Rt 9.

Marker #11 - Oriskany Sand. Not sure which location this one is scheduled to replace. Vatrader01 posted a photo of a nice one on Post #329, so maybe this one is for Rt 522 north of Berkeley Springs???

Marker #12 - Side #1 : Tucker Co / Mineral Co. OK, this one is a collector's item! Why? It's kind of like a marker for the border of Virginia and Ohio, or Maryland and Kentucky. That's right - Grant County is between these 2 counties, so it's going to be hard to find a spot for it. Any ideas??

Marker #12 - Side #2 of the mysterious Tucker Co / Mineral Co marker.

Once again, "Thank You" to Mr. Doug Placka at the Burlington DOH Sign Shop. This answers a lot of questions about several of the Eastern Panhandle Markers, and gives us an idea of what to look forward to. Can't wait to see the new markers up on the poles!

These Markers are not consided "Tagged". They won't be "official" until they are installed at their respective locations. This is just an FYI report.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 09-26-2010, 07:25 AM   #1282
Some Mook
Goin' Down Slow

Oddometer: 253
Mercer County / Camp Jones marker update

The Camp Jones marker on Hwy. 19 in Mercer County was in very poor shape, and did not survive the winter of 09/10.

The marker has since been replaced!

View of North side of marker:

View of South side of marker:

The marker has also been relocated about 200 feet further north than the old location, still on the East side of Hwy 19.

Previous location was closer to cross road sign seen in this photo, which can be seen in the background of the second photo of this post:

Wolf
Some Mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:15 PM   #1283
pnoman OP
Just Average

2 More Available Markers - Rt 50 Eastern Panhandle

We drove out to Winchester VA this weekend (in the minivan) and came back on Rt 50. I saw 2 markers that were listed as Missing are now replaced and "Available":

Rt 50 - Grant Co / Mineral Co Line

Rt 50 - Blues Gap Battle

I will update the spreadsheet as soon as possible.

There may be more along Rt 50 - I missed a few as I placed a higher priority on watching traffic than trying to read markers whizzing by in the rain.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 10-05-2010, 02:59 PM   #1284
pnoman OP
Just Average

Spreadsheet is now updated to show several new markers in parts of the Eastern Panhandle.

If a marker is listed as Available with a (T), this means the new marker is at the DOH sign shop and will be installed in the near future.

Those markers with an (R) after the title are scheduled to be replaced or repaired in the future. If someone already documented the marker, and it was an old one, it may have since been replaced.

If you see any new markers that have replaced an old one that you submitted, please take a photo and edit your previous post to show the "Before" and "After". Please leave the old photos - don't delete them.

Clear as mud, eh?

Thanks!
www.RidingWV.com
Old 10-13-2010, 07:23 AM   #1285
pnoman OP
Just Average

I was driving through St. Albans (Kanawha Co) on Monday (minivan ) and saw that the Bangor Cemetery Marker is now up. It is located on the corner of Kanawha Terrace and Walnut St/Ave(?). Looks like a new or repainted one.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 10-17-2010, 10:52 AM   #1286
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,128
New Marker

Well, kinda sorta maybe.

John Cooke, just across from Laurel Park in Oceana.

If you will look closely, you can see the marker that Dipstick refers to in post 641. This one is just across route 10.

This is a story of a dinner date gone bad, kinda sorta. They seemed to have worked their way through it though.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:31 AM   #1287
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Salt Rock

Salt Rock, Salt Rock Community Park-0.6 miles North of Rt 10 on cr45.

We blew by this one on a previous attempt. The marker sets just a few yards off of cr45 inside the park. Did Ezra play here?

Old 10-18-2010, 05:54 AM   #1288
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Revolutionary War Soldiers Grave

Revolutionary War Soldiers Grave, Jennies Creek Road 1.2 miles East of Rt 52, Crum

A small family tribute to "The Vulcan of the Big Sandy Valley".

Old 10-18-2010, 06:18 AM   #1289
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

WV (Mingo Co) / Kentucky

WV (Mingo Co) / Kentucky, Old Rt 119, Downtown Williamson

From the West

From the East

Looking through the dike towards the bridge to Bluegrass.

A shot of the life blood on both sides of that marker.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:29 AM   #1290
pnoman OP
Just Average

New Postings

Chip,

Thanks for the new additions. I'll have to wait until I get home to see the photos - all I see at work is the empty box and red "X".
www.RidingWV.com