ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2011, 06:54 AM   #1306
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,242
I dont remember any of the Morrison stores either. I do remember Ben Franklin stores

Here is a pretty good read on Mr Morrison, he was quite the business man
http://wileygenealogy.com/~usbios/bi...morrisonoj.txt

some great old pics on the Herald Dispact page

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/multi...er-Feb-23-2011

Morrison had 15 stores across WV. The one in Huntingon closed in the 60's. The last one to close was on capital street in Charleston, is was open until 1986.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:53 AM   #1307
ToadMama
ToadMama

Oddometer: 11
Newbie That Can Help

What a cool idea! I know the idea isn't new, but I am new to the forum. I'm based in Hampshire County and can help with the markers in Hampshire, Mineral, Grant, Hardy, and maybe some others. Right now the bike is in MD, but once Spring hits, it'll be relocated.
Web Home: http://www.appalachiantours.com/
ToadMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #1308
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 2,042
Welcome! If you check back on the previous page at Post #1299, you will see a list of markers scheduled to be replaced. Some I know are already in place, others are still not replaced yet. It's a coin toss on most of them until the crews get out with nicer weather to work on them. The DOH folks that I spoke with explained that given the choice of plowing snow off highways or replacing signs, the plowing takes priority. Go figure!

Anyhow, there is also a spreadsheet that you can print off and keep with you as you travel. I've stopped at several, only to find out vatrader01 or intothenew/outwiththeold already posted this one. Oh well.

One that is available in your neck of the woods is Rt 50 at the Grant / Mineral County line. I've been by there twice in the minivan.

Enjoy, and remember to take time to research and write up a little bit on each marker. (See notes on the first post for general guidelines).

Thanks again!
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:34 AM   #1309
pnoman OP
Just Average

Big Lime - Randolph County

Yes, there are still several unclaimed markers out there. Now there's one less of them.

Located on Rt 15 between Monterville and Valley Head, about 5 miles west of Rt 219/55.

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenbrier_Limestone

Greenbrier Limestone, also known locally as "Big Lime", is an extensive limestone unit deposited during the Middle Mississippian Epoch. It is everywhere present below ground in West Virginia and neighboring Kentucky and extends somewhat into western Maryland and southwestern Virginia. The name derives from the Greenbrier River and Valley in West Virginia.
Greenbrier Limestone is in some places more than 400 feet (122 meters) thick. This great thickness allows the trapping of large quantities of oil and gas.
Greenbrier Limestone is subdivided into six stratigraphic units. In ascending order, they are Denmar Limestone, Taggard Shale, Pickaway Limestone, Union Limestone, Greenville Shale, and Alderson Limestone. The limestones in this interval are predominantly skeletal grainstones or packstones.. The Pickaway and the Union contain oolitic grainstones, although they are most prevalent in the Union.
Numerous solution caves are developed within the Greenbrier Formation in West Virginia.

Historical Marker - Side #1 (Recently refurbished)

Historical Marker - Side #2

View eastbound on Rt 15, looking towards Valley Head. Quarry is on the right, across the highway.

View westbound on Rt 15, towards Monterville and Webster Springs.

View of the quarry.

Not too far west of the marker, there was still snow beside the road on Mt. Hodam (Elevation appx 3,800 ft) Quite a change from the 60* when I left Clarksburg. (This was on Saturday, March 19th)
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 03-22-2011 at 05:53 AM
Old 04-08-2011, 07:22 PM   #1310
WVdyhrd
mudhole 400 guy

Oddometer: 2,545
Is this one taken? I'll check when on my comp again. If not yay, if so well here's a pic of it :Ricky
Attached Images

"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool." -Bill
Shakes
WVdyhrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #1311
WVdyhrd
mudhole 400 guy

The marker
Attached Images

"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool." -Bill
Shakes
Old 04-09-2011, 02:56 AM   #1312
pnoman OP
Just Average

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVdyhrd View Post
Is this one taken? Ricky
Thanks for the photos, Ricky. This one was posted earlier on #937, but it's an important one that doesn't hurt to be seen again. Thanks.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=937

Post #1299 on the previous page has a list of some of the remaining markers. That may help narrow your search. I did get 3 this week up in Marshall and Marion Counties (Washington's Land, Benwood Mine Disaster, and Indian Wars) but haven't had time to edit the photos (re: shrink down to manageable size) to post. Hopefully today.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1299

Happy trails!
www.RidingWV.com
Old 04-09-2011, 06:04 AM   #1313
pnoman OP
Just Average

Benwood Mine Disaster - Marshall County

Located on South Marshall St about 1/4 mile south of downtown Benwood, which itself is just south of Moundsville between Rt 2 and the Ohio River.

Benwood Coal Mine Disaster – April 28, 1924

Benwood was the location of the tragic 1924 Coal Mine Disaster. At approximately 7:05 AM EST on Monday, April 28, 1924, the coal mine of the Wheeling Steel Corporation's mill located in Benwood exploded, killing all 119 men who were working in the coal mine at the time, the majority of whom were immigrants of Polish, Italian, Greek, Croatian, Slavic, Slovak, Serbian, Hungarian, Austrian, Russian, Ukrainian and Lithuanian descent.

Benwood is a city in Marshall County, West Virginia, along the Ohio River. It is part of the Wheeling, West Virginia Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 1,585 at the 2000 census. Benwood was chartered in 1853 and incorporated in 1895. The name of the city is derived from "Ben's Woods" as Benjamin McMechen (1777 - 1855) inherited that portion of land from the estate of his father, William McMechen (1724 - 1797), and built his homestead upon it.

New York Times - April 29, 1924

114 BELIEVED DEAD IN MINE EXPLOSION
Entire Day Shift of Wheeling Steel Corporation Trapped in Benwood Workings.
14 BODIES RECOVERED
Debris and Poison Gas Block Rescuers - Stricken Families Grieve in Drenching Rain.
Special to the New York Times.

Benwood, W. Va., April 28 - One hundred and fourteen men are believed to have perished in an explosion in the Benwood mine of the Wheeling Steel Corporation here at 7:30 0'clock this morning. Fourteen bodies have been recovered.
Rescue crews, working at both ends of the mine, had to break their way through a huge mass of stone that blocked the entrance. Late this afternoon they had reached a point 3,000 feet from the main entrance, where another complete blockade was encountered.
Two men were found still alive at 11 o'clock in an air shaft but they died before they could be carried to the surface. Two hours later the bodies of two other men, burned beyond recognition, were found on a motor near the mouth of the mine. Three other bodies were carried out at the Elm Grove outlet on the east soon afterward.
The terrific force of the explosion tore away heavy ties used over the entrance to the mine. The concussion, officials believe, was sufficient to kill a majority of the workers.
As if in sympathy with the frantic hundreds who thronged the streets near the steel company's gates, a heavy rain fell throughout the day. Wives and children of the miners, seemingly unmindful of the drenching downpour, stood about in pitiful groups, awaiting news of their loved ones, for whom hope was gradually dying.
At 2:30 P.M. the pumps used by rescue workers had begun to pour gas from the main shaft entrance at Benwood. All outlets for the poisonous fumes had been cut off until this time. Inspector A. E. Lafferty, rturning from a trip into the mine at Brown's Run air shaft, said there was absolutely no hope for the men then entombed.
The explosion occurred only five minutes after the crew on the day shift had gone into the mine. The regular morning work train carried at least 104 miners and their equipment. A man who had seen them start said he heard the explosion less than five minutes later. The train at this time had traveled at least a mile into the mine, it is believed.
At 8 o'clock, half an hour after the explosion, four cars from mine headquarters carrying rescue workers left Benwood at 10 o'clock for the Still Run air shaft, while reinforcements were sent at the same time to Brown's Run.
The mine rescue car Holmes, sent by the Pittsburgh division of the United States Bureau of Mines, arrived at noon and a crew of mine engineers under the supervision of J. W. Fene, system chief safety engineer of Pittsburgh, went into the mine soon afterward.
A corps of nurses from the Wheeling Chapter of the American Red Cross and five Wheeling physicians were on the scene, while Red Cross headquarters at Washington, D. C. has assured that any other medical assistance needed would be sent.
On the embankment overlooking Marshall Street, at the gate of the steel company, hundreds are crowding the hills in the rain, which has poured down all day. An ink-black sky forms a background for the mine entrance, while in the rear of the Marshall Street hill flames from the steel furnaces cast a lurid glow over the scene.
Benwood is the steel city of the Wheeling District. It is five miles below Wheeling on the river and the mine is one of the oldest in this district. Officials announced that 104 men received their "checks" before entering the mine. While some might have entered without "checking in," they said the number entombed would not be more than 110.

http://www.lindapages.com/marshall/mine.htm

Historical Marker located on South Marshall St, about 1/4 mile south of downtown Benwood.

Same Marker - Side #2

View south on South Marshall Street.

View north on South Marshall Street. Present day mining operations are visible in the far distance to the right.

The guard at the coal processing station told me the original mine was up over this hill across Rt 2. Since I didn't bring my climbing gear with me, this is as close as I could get. Coal from the present day mine travels through this tube to be loaded onto barges on the Ohio River.

Downtown Benwood - a true picture of Blue Collar West Virginia. Nice people!

Another view of Benwood.

www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 04-09-2011 at 04:09 PM
Old 04-09-2011, 03:46 PM   #1314
pnoman OP
Just Average

News Flash

Looks like our local TV station WBOY is getting in on the Historical Markers action.

http://wboy.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=97405

I sent her an email telling her about our project and to contact us if she has any questions.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 04-09-2011 at 05:11 PM
Old 04-13-2011, 02:13 PM   #1315
pnoman OP
Just Average

Washington's Land (#2) - Marshall County

Located on Rt 2, about 5 miles south of Moundsville, on the Old Rt 2 (Frontage Road) about 100 yards east of the 4-Lane Rt 2. It is about 1/4 mile north of the other Washington's Land marker.

For notes: (See Post #1071 on Page 72)

Who is Archibald McClean? [McClean is noted as deputy surveyor of the Mason-Dixon Line in 1776, but the Mason and Dixon work was completed in 1767 when they were driven off by Native Americans.

Interesting fact I learned on this one: Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon were a mathematician and astronomer - not surveyors .

For a very interesting history of the Mason-Dixon Line: Click Here

Historical Marker located on Old Rt 2 (Frontage Road) about 5 miles south of Moundsville.

Same Marker - Side #2

View northwest down the access road to the new Rt 2 (Look closely and you can see a northbound truck through the trees to the left). I am standing in the intersection of the access road and Old Rt 2.

View southeast up the access road to the Old Rt 2.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 04-13-2011, 02:24 PM   #1316
pnoman OP
Just Average

Indian Raid - Marion County

Formerly titled "Indian Massacre"

Located at the junction of Rt 250 and Rt 218 in Farmington.

I Googled the names and came up empty-handed. Will update if my research turns up anything.

Historical Marker located at the junction of Rt 250 and Rt 218 in Farmington.

Same Marker - Side #2

View westbound on Rt 250. Turnoff for Rt 218 is just to the left.

View eastbound toward Fairmont and Farmington.

View north across the highway to some rocks that may be where they hid????
www.RidingWV.com
Old 04-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #1317
pnoman OP
Just Average

Old vs New Marker

Center Point Covered Bridge (See Post #162)

Before:

After: (April 2011)

www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 04-13-2011 at 02:57 PM
Old 04-14-2011, 09:14 AM   #1318
WVdyhrd
mudhole 400 guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoman View Post
Thanks for the photos, Ricky. [/URL]

Happy trails!
hehe im not ricky, that was supposed to be

and I figured it had been, i wasj ust playing around on tapatalk and wanted to upload it.

I've posted em before, you do a great job of running this collection pnoman!!! Keep it up.

P.S. I should rejoin wvtag soon too

Shakes
Old 04-14-2011, 10:27 AM   #1319
pnoman OP
Just Average

WBOY CHANNEL 12 (Clarksburg)

Thursday - 14 April 2011

5pm and/or 6pm News

Reporter Susan Sullivan asked me to come in for an interview today on the bike. She asked about the markers and our project. It should be on the local news tonight at 5pm AND/OR 6pm. I won't be home, but will hopefully set up my DVD recorder. Maybe they will post the video on their website so I can do an "Imbed" here later.

Tschuss.

EDIT: Here's the link to the interview (with video) CLICK HERE

www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 04-14-2011 at 06:57 PM
Old 04-14-2011, 07:04 PM   #1320
cleanair
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Great job Mike. Saw it on the 6 o'clock news after I got back from my little ride.
Attached Images

cleanair is offline   Reply With Quote