ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2009, 08:21 AM   #121
vatrader01
vatrader01

Oddometer: 1,164
John Brown's Scaffold

Marker is at the intersection of S. Samuel Street and Hunter Street, Charles Town, Jefferson County West Virginia.

Built in 1892 by Col John Thomas Gibson, this house sits on the site of John Brown's execution.

Gibson-Todd House

Admittance to John Brown’s execution was severely restricted. Virginia governor Henry A. Wise, fearing a last minute attempt to free Brown, had ordered 1,500 soldiers to Charlestown. Suspicious characters and loiterers were to be arrested. The hanging site would be free of all civilians. No person was allowed within hearing distance of the gallows; if Brown presented memorable last words, they would go unheard. Professor Thomas J. Jackson, later known as "Stonewall" in the first Battle of Bull Run, stood with cadets of the Virginia Military Institute, who where among the 1500 providing security. Also in attendence was John Wilkes Booth, who had joined the Richmond Grays in order to view the execution.

vatrader01 screwed with this post 01-10-2009 at 08:52 AM
vatrader01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:04 AM   #122
vatrader01
vatrader01

Happy Retreat

Originally owned and developed by Charles Washington, the youngest brother of George Washington and the founder of Charles Town. Happy Retreat is in Charles Town, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. The marker is at the intersection of Mordington Ave. and Blakeley Pl.

Happy Retreat is usually thought to have been established in 1780, and there is reason to believe that Charles's land may have been farmed as early as 1768. This date appears on the corner stone of the old kitchen at Happy Retreat. Before his death, Charles transferred all his property to his son Samuel Washington, who in 1800 sold Happy Retreat, including the mansion house and 100 acres 0f land, to Thomas Hammond. [Hammond had married Charles daughter Mildred] Sold in 1837 to Hon. Isaac R. Douglass, a Circuit Court Judge. Judge Douglas completed construction on the house with the addition of the center section of the mansion that connects the original Washington wings. During this ownership, the estate was renamed "Mordington", after Judge Douglass's family estate in Scotland. It has had several owners, and has a purchase option with the Friends of Happy Retreat. More information on this group can be found here: http://happyretreat.org/

This is the seventh of the seven Washington homes in this area of West Virginia. That is to say there are seven Washington Family homes with West Virginia markers designating them as such. There are many more Federal Style Washington family homes in the area.

Undated archive photo

vatrader01 screwed with this post 01-10-2009 at 11:13 AM
Old 01-10-2009, 04:25 PM   #123
vatrader01
vatrader01

Pin Oak Fountain

Near Pinoak, West Virginia, in Hampshire County, marker is at the intersection of Highway 29 and Falconwood Road.

Most pertainant information regarding the fountain is given on the marker.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:04 PM   #124
vatrader01
vatrader01

Paw Paw

Marker is at the intersection of Route 9 and Winchester Street in Paw Paw, Morgan County. Mostly known for the near by Paw Paw Tunnel. The canal tunnel, which took 14 years to complete and is 3,118 feet in length was considered at the time one of the engineering wonders of the world. The town and the tunnel take their name from the wild paw paw fruit tree that grew wild in the area.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:12 PM   #125
vatrader01
vatrader01

Gerrardstown

This marker is in Gerrardstown, Berkeley County WV, on Rt 51 just west of the intersection of Dominion Road.

This community still has a number of buildings dating back into the 1700's in various conditions. Designated a National Historic District in 1991.

Of the notable people resting in the Gerrardstown cemeteries lies Ward Hill Lamon, one time law partner, friend and bodyguard of Pres. Abe Lincoln.
Reported to frequently wrap himself in a cloak and sleep on the floor in front of the Presidents bedroom door, he was in Richmond on assignment the night of Lincoln's assassination.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:27 PM   #126
vatrader01
vatrader01

Gerard House

The marker is on Dominion Road about .01 mile south of Rt 51 in Gerrardstown, Berkeley County WV.

One of the oldest known houses in Berkeley County. John Hays acquired 90 acres and first built a log house that is no longer standing and then added the two-story stone house beside the log cabin.
Rev. John Gerrard purchased the Hays house with 90 acres on May 18, 1770. Henry Switzer of the area sold one acre of his land to Rev. John Gerard, and this is the tract of land where the Rev. John Gerrard’s son, David Gerrard, laid out Gerrardstown in 1787, with 40 lots.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:50 PM   #127
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 2,019
Missing Signs Confirmation

I received a note from Mr. Geiger at the WV Archives and History office. (Below, in yellow)

(I believe I can verify the following are missing after my ride out to Grafton a few weeks ago: Pruntytown, Flemington, and John Barton Payne in Taylor Co. Randolph Mason is missing in Harrison Co. Also, I don't recall a marker for Smoke Hole Cave, but it's been awhile since I've been by there.) If anyone can chime in, please help. Thanks!!

Mr. Elyard: We are preparing to order some replacement markers and wish to confirm they are missing. Would it be possible to post and see if we can get confirmation of their non-existence? We appreciate your assistance.

Albright, WV26, north of WV7, Albright (Preston)
Old Iron Furnace, WV26, north of WV7 (Preston)
The Blackwater, US 219/WV 32, Thomas (Tucker)
Smoke Hole Cave, Smoke Hole Road, 4 miles from junction with US 220 (Pendleton)
Crags-Caverns, US 33 near top of North Fork Mountain (Pendleton)
Rider Gap, WV 39, Valley Mountain (Pocahontas)
Blue and Gray/ "Travelers Repose", US 250/WV 28, Bartow (Pocahontas)
John Simpson, CR 13, Simpson (Taylor)
Pruntytown, US 50, Pruntytown (Taylor)
Flemington, WV 76, Flemington (Taylor)
John Barton Payne, US 50, Pruntytown (Taylor)
Randolph Mason,” WV 20, Romine's Mill (Harrison)
Morgan's Raiders, WV 14 / CR 21, Mineral Wells (Wood)

Best Wishes,
Joe Geiger
West Virginia Archives and History
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:04 PM   #128
Wingfixer
Watch this...

Oddometer: 3,442
It is pretty cool that we can help the Historical Society like this. I just wish the weather was a bit more cooperative but then again it is January.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:59 AM   #129
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoman
Also, I don't recall a marker for Smoke Hole Cave, but it's been awhile since I've been by there.) If anyone can chime in, please help. Thanks!!
garry over in the WV tag game had this pic. is that the one you are looking for?

I checked the VA marker web site and it claims VA has over 2000 markers I could not find any information about VA conducting a new survey.

nice work guys

"If you like your health care plan, you can keep it," - President Barack Obama
freaking RT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:56 PM   #130
pnoman OP
Just Average

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaking RT
garry over in the WV tag game had this pic. is that the one you are looking for?
Thanks for the photo. This is not the cave marker that's listed as missing, but it is one of the Historical Markers. I found this one in my photo folder and was going to add it at some point, but ya' beat me to it.

For more photos and brief notes on Smoke Hole Road, click here and go to Day 5 ride.

Care to add any notes to the post?

Keep em' coming. Thanks again.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 01-16-2009 at 12:45 PM
Old 01-16-2009, 09:01 AM   #131
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoman
Care to add any notes to the post?
well, I've blown by there at a high rate of speed a few times and love riding in that area.

"If you like your health care plan, you can keep it," - President Barack Obama
freaking RT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:46 PM   #132
Grape_Ape
It Feels Good

Oddometer: 461
The Silver Bridge Collapse

I visted Point Pleasant, WV last Summer with my brother and a friend. We met in Wellsburg, WV and followed the Ohio River most of the way, putting in about 350 miles of saddle-time.

I have been fascinated with the Silver Bridge Collapse ever since parts the movie "The Mothman Prophecies" were filmed in my home county of Washington, PA. The movie was based on the legend of Point Pleasant's "Mothman". A key part of the movie involved a bridge collapse similar to the tragic event that occurred that fateful night back in December 1967.

Here are a few more shots from our Point Pleasant trip:

Grape_Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:32 PM   #133
pnoman OP
Just Average

St George's Church - Smoke Hole, Pendleton Co

OK, it's too cold and icy to ride this weekend, so I'm going back through old ride reports to find photos of Historical Markers I've already photo'd. I came across this one from down in Smoke Hole that I took back in 2006. It's located on the south end of Smoke Hole Road (CR 2 -3 where it divides into CR 2 to go up to Big Bend (next to Shreve's Store). Smoke Hole Road is a GREAT ride, just don't be in a hurry - there's lots of families with kids out fishing and sightseeing. We don't want to give motorcycles a bad reputation now, do we?

Historical Marker located on CR 2 about 100 yards from cutoff to Big Bend.

Photo of the church.

(I added some notes to another ADV rider's thread about this church a while back. I copied and pasted them here.)

It's been over 25 years since I've been through Smoke Hole, except to drive my grandmother through a few weeks before she died back in 1992.

As far as this building, it has an interesting history. The following notes are taken from the book "A Place Called Smoke Hole" by D. Bardon Shreve.

The first pastor in Smoke Hole was John Shreve, a Methodist preacher who never built a church building -- they just met under a large maple tree. Methodists contimued meeting in the open and in peoples' homes for the next 60-70 years.

1889 - Jacob and Amy Kimble sold a tract of land to the Methodists, and a log church was built. The Methodists flourished in this area and the church was very strong. One interesting note is that this church baptised by immersion in the South Branch Potomac River (which ran by the church) rather than the traditional sprinkling method.

Late 1920s - The church had a big split, possibly over the pastor's salary.

1932 - The church replaced it's board of trustees and immediately sold the property to the Episcopals for $100.00. The Methodist church (national church leaders) decided to abandon the church, so it died a sudden death.

The Episcopal church sent a missionary to build up the following. He had some volunteers -- 5 well-dressed men who were camping along the river who drove nice cars and always had plenty of money and whiskey. Hmmm.... When the mission house and other buildings were completed, the 5 men moved on. No questions asked.

1937 - Attendance grew at the church until a new preacher arrived. (The former preacher's wife was expecting a baby and did not want it born in a place called "Smoke Hole".) The new preacher was not liked and attendance dropped.

1949 - The Great Flood of '49 damaged the buildings and the Episcopal Church decided not to rebuild. The property was sold to some local businessmen who donated it to the South Fork Rotary Club, who maintain it as a historic site.

To see a nice photo of the church taken by iDave, click here.

www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 01-18-2009 at 05:39 PM
Old 01-23-2009, 06:04 PM   #134
pnoman OP
Just Average

Rt 19 Harrison Co / Lewis County Line

OK, it looks like today is going to be nice (40s and sunny) for the first time in weeks, and it's going back to 20s/30s and snow/rain tomorrow for the next week. "Gee, boss, I think (cough, cough) I might need to leave work early today (cough, cough)."

I headed south on a loop from Clarksburg through Lewis County to pick up some markers around Weston and Jackson's Mill. Total locations today: 12. I think I'm feeling better now.

Historical Marker located on Rt 19 at the Harrison Co / Lewis Co Line.

View north on Rt 19 coming into Harrison Co.

Opposite side of same marker heading south on Rt 19 into Lewis Co.

View southbound on Rt 19 entering Lewis Co.

Rt 19 is a nice ride. Some old farms (including a nice "Mail Pouch" barn just north of this sign.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 01-23-2009, 06:14 PM   #135
pnoman OP
Just Average

B&O Depot - Lost Creek - Harrison Co

Nice old railroad depot in the heart of Lost Creek WV. The tracks are long gone, but the historic old depot still stands.

Historical Marker located on CR 48 about 1/2 mile from Exit 110 on I-79. If you are coming southbound, when you get off at the Lost Creek Exit, head south on CR25 about 2 miles to get to "downtown" Lost Creek. (There are 2 exits for Lost Creek, one with exit ramps, one with on ramps )

View of the depot. (That's the I-79 bridge in the RH background).

View from the other direction.

Lost Creek is a quiet little town. I wish I had more time to explore - I'm sure there's a great mom&pop diner here somewhere.
www.RidingWV.com