ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2014, 10:53 AM   #1396
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 2,042
Update

UPDATE: I received this email from Matthew McGrew. Here are some recent additions for those of you looking to satisfy your craving for marker hunting.

My name’s Matt McGrew, and I recently (in December) assumed the role of director of the Highway Marker program – Joe is still very much involved, as well. I’ve put together a list by comparing our records and your latest updates on the site. I can’t begin to tell you how much a help Adventure Rider has been to me as I continue to get my feet wet.

The ones I believe you need are as follows:

“The Block” – (Kanawha) - Two of these: one at 1010 Washington Street East, Charleston; another at 607 Shrewsbury Street, Charleston
“Cameron City Pool” – (Marshall) - Park Avenue, Cameron
“Everettville Mine Disaster” – (Monongalia) - Junction of US 19 and County Route 45, south of Arnettsville
“Raleigh County” – (Raleigh) - Main Street, courthouse square, Beckley
“Williams v. Board of Education Case” – (Tucker) – Tucker County Courthouse, Parsons
“Coketon Colored School” – (Tucker) – Just off WV 32, Thomas
“Anna Wallace” – (Pocahontas) – US 219, just north of junction with WV 39
“Sid Hatfield/McDowell County Courthouse” – (McDowell) – County Courthouse, Welch
“Mercer’s Bottom/Captain John Hereford” - (Mason) - WV 2, north of Ashton
“Huntington Mine Rescue Car” – (Cabell) – CSX Building; 935 7th Avenue, Huntington

Please feel free to contact either myself or Joe at any time.

Thanks again for all you do!

Matthew R. McGrew

Education Coordinator
Archives & History Section
WV Division of Culture & History
The Culture Center
Capitol Complex
1900 Kanawha Boulevard East
Charleston WV 25305-0300
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:30 PM   #1397
DuckWV
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
You're going to have a busy couple weeks pnoman!

DuckWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:30 PM   #1398
pnoman OP
Just Average

Monongalia High School - Westover - Monongalia County

Monongalia High School - Westover - Monongalia County

Located on West Park Ave, Westover (Morgantown)

GPS : LAT 39.637733 LON -79.965973

WESTOVER, W.Va. (AP) - A historical marker now recognizes a significant chapter in the life of Monongalia High School - once the county's only high school for young black men and women.

The Dominion Post (http://bit.ly/1kd0z6R ) reports that alumni gathered in Westover on Friday to dedicate the historic marker, six decades after the school closed.

Claudette Dale was a 10th grader in 1954 when schools around the country were integrated after Brown v. Board of Education. A cheerleader, she finished her high school education at Morgantown High School.

Dale proclaimed it "so wonderful" to see the sign in front of her former school. She's president of the Beechurst and Monongalia Alumni Association.

Another Monongalia High student, Robert McNeill, said the marker leaves a "permanent presence" at the school.

Information from: The Dominion Post, http://www.dominionpost.com

WESTOVER— Six decades after its closing, alumni of Monongalia High School gathered in Westover on Friday, Aug. 1, to dedicate the school’s mark on history.

A historical marker was unveiled outside the Westover Annex, a building that served many functions over the years, the first of which was home to the county’s only high school for black residents.

“It is so wonderful to finally see our sign in front of our school,” said Claudette Dale, the president of the Beechurst and Monongalia Alumni Association.

Dale was in 10th grade at Monongalia High School in 1954 when schools around the country were integrated after Brown v. Board of Education. Dale, who was a cheerleader for Monongalia High, finished her high school education at Morgantown High School.

“That marker indicates there’s a permanent presence for the school,” said Robert McNeill, who attended Monongalia High from 1944-’50, “There was always a threat the school would be torn down.”

VIDEO OF MARKER UNVEILING CEREMONY - CLICK HERE

Historical Marker - Side #1

Historical Marker - Side #2

View of marker - looking eastbound towards school

Slightly different angle with view of entire school.

North end of building.

Main entrance along west side of building.

WPA block by front door. The Works Progress Administration (renamed in 1939 as the Work Projects Administration; WPA) was the largest and most ambitious American New Deal Agency, employing millions of unemployed people (mostly unskilled men) to carry out public works projects, including the construction of public buildings and roads. It was liquidated on June 30, 1943, as a result of low unemployment due to the worker shortage of World War II. The WPA had provided millions of Americans with jobs for 8 years. FOR MORE - CLICK HERE

The building is currently used as the Westover Elementary School.

www.RidingWV.com
Old 08-13-2014, 12:44 PM   #1399
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,405
Nice Mike, and I'm really glad the "new guy" (Matt McGrew), will continue in the foot steps of Joe. In today's economy, one would think this might have been a program they would have cut. Very happy that doesn't appear to be the case, and congrats to you (and all the marker hunters) for taking on this project and getting recognition from the State for your accomplishments that you certainly deserve.

Very nice indeed.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:09 PM   #1400
pnoman OP
Just Average

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Nice Mike, and I'm really glad the "new guy" (Matt McGrew), will continue in the foot steps of Joe. In today's economy, one would think this might have been a program they would have cut. Very happy that doesn't appear to be the case, and congrats to you (and all the marker hunters) for taking on this project and getting recognition from the State for your accomplishments that you certainly deserve.

Very nice indeed.

Thanks, Guy. This marker was paid for by the alumni of the school. Most of the new markers now are privately funded. Marker-Pole-Installation runs about $2,500.

I also asked Matt for a current spreadsheet of markers, since I found out about this one by chance watching the local TV news. And it's only about 3 miles from my house!

I will update and make a list of new and available markers as soon as I get that info.

www.RidingWV.com
Old 08-21-2014, 05:43 AM   #1401
pnoman OP
Just Average

Fort Ogden - Grant County

Ogden's Fort
(1755 - 1760's), near Gormania
Built by the VA colonial militia on Difficult Hill near Difficult Creek, it was a stockaded blockhouse and several cabins. Also spelled Logsdon.

(From Wikipedia):

The French and Indian War

During the French and Indian War (1754–1763), a formal act came into effect.
"WHEREAS it is necessary, in this time of danger, that the militia of this colony should be well regulated and disciplined...And be it further enacted, by the authority aforesaid, That every person so as aforesaid inlisted (except free mulattoes, negroes, and Indians) shall be armed in the manner following, that is to say: Every soldier shall he furnished with a firelock well fixed, a bayonet fitted to the same, a double cartouch-box, and three charges of powder, and constantly appear with the same at the time and place appointed for muster and exercise, and shall also keep at his place of abode one pound of powder and four pounds of ball, and bring the same with him into the field when he shall be required...And for the better training and exercising the militia, and rendering them more serviceable, Be it further enacted, by the authority aforesaid, That every captain shall, once in three months, and oftner if thereto required by the lieutenant or chief commanding officer in the county, muster, train, and exercise his company, and the lieutenant or other chief commanding officer in the county shall cause a general muster and exercise of all the companies within his county, to be made in the months of March or April, and September or October, yearly; and if any soldier shall, at any general or private muster, refuse to perform the command of his officer, or behave himself refractorily or mutinously, or misbehave himself at the courts martial to be held in pursuance of this act, as is herein after directed, it shall and may be lawful to and for the chief commanding officer, then present, to cause such offender to be tied neck and heels, for any time not exceeding five minutes, or inflict such corporal punishment as he shall think fit, not exceeding twenty lashes..." —An Act for the better regulating and disciplining the Militia, April 1757

Historical Marker - Side #2 - Located on Rt 50 appx midway between Gormania and Mt Storm, just west of Union Educational Complex.

GPS - LAT 39.278521 LON -79.293907

Marker is located next to "By King's Command" Marker.

View eastbound on Rt 50 - Union Educational Complex appx 1/2 mile ahead; Mt Storm appx 3 miles ahead.

View westbound on Rt 50 - Gormania appx 3 miles ahead.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 08-21-2014, 09:53 PM   #1402
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,833
I drove by there today, and last weekend.
Wondered if they were in here somewhere.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:52 AM   #1403
pnoman OP
Just Average

Fairfax Line - Grant County

Fairfax Line - Grant County

Located on Rt 220 South, appx 1 mile south of downtown Petersburg, just south of the junction with CR9 (South Mill Creek Road)

GPS: LAT 38.979446 LON -79.128857

(Notes from Wikipedia)

The Fairfax Line was a surveyor's line run in 1746 to establish the limits of the "Northern Neck Grant" (also known as the "Fairfax Grant") in colonial Virginia. The imaginary line between the sources of the Conway River and the North Branch Potomac River is commonly referred to as "the Fairfax Line".

Background

The Northern Neck Grant, commonly referred to as the "Fairfax Grant", has its genesis in 1649 when the exiled King CHarles II of Britain rewarded the two Colepeper (Culpeper) brothers and five other loyal friends by issuing a grant for a "porcon of Virginia ... bounded by and within the heads of the Rivers Rappahannock and Patawomecke....". The grant actually took force when Charles was restored to the throne in 1660 and it was recorded and a "Proprietary" created in the New World. At that time, the territory encompassed by the grant had not been explored and was not known. The seven original shares ultimately devolved to Thomas Fairfax, 5th Lord Fairfax of Cameraon (1657–1710), who married the only child, a daughter named Catherine, of Thomas Colepeper, 2nd Baron Colepeper (1635–89). Thus the Northern Neck grant is commonly referred to as the "Fairfax Grant".
Disputes

The Commonwealth of Virginia frequently disputed the boundaries of the Fairfax Grant. In 1745, the Privy Council in London decided in favor of the 6th Lord Fairfax, designating that "the boundary of the petitioners land doth begin at the first spring of the South Branch of the River Rappahannack now called Rappidan[,] which first spring is the spring of that part of the said River Rappidan as is called in the plans returned by the name of Conway River[,] and that the said boundary be from thence drawn in a straight line North West to the place in the Allagany Mountains where that part of the River Pattawomeck alias Potowmack which is now called Cohongoroota alias Cohongoronton first arises." The imaginary line between the sources of the Conway River and the North Branch Potomac River is commonly referred to as "the Fairfax Line".
Surveys

In 1736 John Savage and his survey party had located the site of the source of the North Branch Potomac River (the northern boundary of the tract), but had made no attempt to establish the western boundaries of Lord Fairfax's lands. A 1746 survey (the "Survey of the Fairfax Line"), however, was accomplished by Colonel Peter Jefferson andThomas Lewis under extremely arduous conditions and resulted in both the emplacement of a boundary marker (the "Fairfax Stone") at the source and the official demarkation of the Fairfax Line, extending from the Stone south-east to the headwater of the Conway River. Lewis's journal of the expedition provides a vivid account of the extraordinarily difficult terrain of the pre-settlement Allegheny Mountains.

Historical Marker - Side #1 (north)

Historical Marker - Side #2 (south)

View northbound on Rt 220 entering Petersburg just ahead.

View southbound on Rt 220.

www.RidingWV.com
Old 08-27-2014, 01:08 PM   #1404
pnoman OP
Just Average

Williams vs Board of Education Case - Tucker County

Williams vs Board of Education Case - Tucker County

Located in front of Tucker County Courthouse, Parsons

GPS: LAT 39.096811 LON -79.680198

The law said the school year was eight months, but only five months’ worth of money was allocated to the colored school for the teacher’s salary. The schoolteacher taught the full eight months, and then sued for the missing three months’ salary. She won because the school board did not follow the law and she did.

Excerpt from the 1898 WV Supreme Court ruling: “1. The law of this state does not authorize boards of education to discriminate between white and colored schools in the same district as to length of term to be taught. 2. Where a teacher has been employed to teach a colored school by the trustees thereof, under the supervision of the board of education, and she teaches the same the full term of the other primary schools in the same district, satisfactorily to the patrons of such school, she is entitled to pay for her whole term of service; and the board of education cannot escape the payment thereof by interposing a plea that it had, by reason of the school being a colored school, limited the term thereof to a shorter period than the white schools in the same district. Such discrimination, being made merely on account of color, cannot be recognized or tolerated, as it is contrary to public policy and the law of the land.” (Submitted on June 26, 2014.) TRIAL RECORD - - - SUPREME COURT RULING - - - JUDGE MARMADUKE DENT

Apparently, there was another Williams vs Board of Education just a few years later:

1908: Williams v. The Board of Education of Parsons
In the first class City of Parsons, D.A. Williams won a narrowly based case on the issue of safety. In 1908, the Parsons Board assigned all African American children to one of the four elementary schools. Williams, whose four children had attended school near their home, refused to have the children cross seven dangerous railroad tracks to reach the designated school. He was informed that his children and other African American students were required to attend a school designated for them. The School was located more than a mile from the children's home and in an area surrounded by various railroad-switching yards.
The School was plagued by railroad traffic and train noises that disrupted the classroom. Mr. Williams filed legal action to remove his children from Lincoln School because of the dangers associated with travel to the school. The Kansas Supreme Court found that on the facts presented, Williams was entitled to relief, but left the door open for other separate school arrangements. LINK TO ARTICLE - - - READ FULL COURT OPINION

Historical Marker - Side #1 - In front of Tucker County Courthouse, Parsons

View of marker in front of courthouse

View of marker and courthouse along Rt 219/Rt 72 in Parsons.

www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 08-27-2014 at 01:17 PM
Old 08-28-2014, 04:04 PM   #1405
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,833
In Thomas, when southbound on 32 take a right onto the Douglas Rd.
This is just up the hill from the Thomas post office. After about 3/4 of a mile you'll find this marker.

Looking back towards 32
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:57 PM   #1406
pnoman OP
Just Average

Nice - Thanks, WVhillbilly.

Ties in well with the marker just prior to this - Williams vs Board of Education. So many of these WV markers tie together to form a "story".

www.RidingWV.com
Old 08-28-2014, 07:39 PM   #1407
Stedlo
Out and About

Oddometer: 190
Not sure if this one is in here, I couldn't find it. That's not sayin much, I can't find a lot of things.

On Rt. 32, outside of Davis, WV, toward Canaan.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:12 PM   #1408
madaous
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Travelers Repose

Actually the Travelers Repose was a private family farm that was settled in 1800 by my great,great,great,great grandparents who were Vincent and Nancy Phillips. According to our family bible Vincent and Nancy are the ones who named the farm Travelers Repose and was a open sleep over type farm for hobos,drifters ect..Vincent wrote in the family bible that the land was to be passed down to only his descendants. Also the cemetery on the farm was to be a private family cemetery and no other people was to be buried there except for his direct descendants of the Phillips. The original structure under the house you see there today was the home of Vincent and Nancy Phillips my 4th great grand parents.

R. Phillips
madaous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:51 AM   #1409
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by madaous View Post
Actually the Travelers Repose was a private family farm that was settled in 1800 by my great,great,great,great grandparents who were Vincent and Nancy Phillips. According to our family bible Vincent and Nancy are the ones who named the farm Travelers Repose and was a open sleep over type farm for hobos,drifters ect..Vincent wrote in the family bible that the land was to be passed down to only his descendants. Also the cemetery on the farm was to be a private family cemetery and no other people was to be buried there except for his direct descendants of the Phillips. The original structure under the house you see there today was the home of Vincent and Nancy Phillips my 4th great grand parents.

R. Phillips
Goldenseal Magazine had an excellent article about the place a few years ago.

http://www.wvculture.org/goldenseal/...12/Repose.html

The piece was centered around the owner at the time, Jessie Beard Powell. Unfortunately, she passed away a year or so after that (quarterly) issue went to press.

Have since read where the property went to auction this past September. Wish I had a nickle for every time I've been by there.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:07 PM   #1410
Grape_Ape
It Feels Good

Oddometer: 472
I spotted this new marker today. It is listed as missing on the spreadsheet.

"Monongalia - Monongalia Co / State of Pennsylvania - Rt 19, State line - Missing"

Like the description on the spreadheet says, this new marker is located on Route 19 at the WV/PA border.

Looking north into PA:

The southbound view:

Grape_Ape is online now   Reply With Quote