User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2011, 02:04 PM   #1
Crackberry OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Wicked Advice needed...

This is my first post...and I am going to jump right in and ask for opinions...I have an 2008 KLR 650. It's a great bike but I think it looks too small when I am sitting on it

I have been seriously thinking of upgrading to a F800GS but when I sat on it today and looked at my picture it also looked too small !!!

Of course the extra umph on the road from the F800GS won't hurt either....

But, I get the impression I look like I am riding a kids bike....what's a fat guy to do?

I am therefore turning to the forum to ask your opinion, which of the two bikes suit me? I know it's probably a weird question but who better than this community to get honest advice....
Crackberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:04 PM   #2
Crackberry OP
Adventurer

Here's me on the 2008 KLR 650
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2011, 02:05 PM   #3
Crackberry OP
Adventurer

Here's me on the F800GS..
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2011, 02:18 PM   #4
lmclamore
Citation Collector

Oddometer: 404
Ask yourself if the bike does what you want it to do. IMHO DSing has nothing to do with aesthetics. I'm going to get flamed for this but it is my opinion only. The bikes all look weird and tall. We then proceed to accesorize them with many add-ons that make them look even worse. Then we go out and cover them with mud and debris. We are actually proud of dings and dents. These machines have nothing to do with looking good.

The good looking machines and the ones you would look better on can't leave the pavement.

What do you want your bike to do? That is the question.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:26 PM   #5
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,250
Honestly neither bike looks small, proportion wise. The KLR looks like the suspension could use more preload, and to a lesser degree the same goes for the F800.

You're just looking for an exucse to buy a new bike, aren't you?

If that's the case, you have my blessing. If not, add some preload.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #6
Crackberry OP
Adventurer

"...........What do you want your bike to do? That is the question."

Thanks for your feedback!

I learned to ride on a DS...a KE175 and for a stint I was living in Lahore, Pakistan and attending a local college there. See picture of me with a buddy (no, not a Russian truck driver kind of buddy!) I used to go off road all the time....mud, water, bamboo laden fields etc... the freedom provided by the KE175 was awesome and I had become very skillful both on an off road - but that was 1984!

A few years back, I went back to riding and picked up a sport bike. Kept it for a couple of years and sold it - big mistake as I have been itching to ride again. So I finally took the plunge this fall and picked up the KLR 650. Went in to the fine people at Dual Sport Plus (DSP) and had the bike and myself kitted out for local running.

Les, Jody and Tim @ DSP put me on to this forum...and now I am hooked.

So, back to answering your question....I want to begin building my DSIQ (Dual Sport Intelligence Quotient), do some local off road riding, mud, river etc. Also some long distance riding so build up my confidence and skill level and finally go and have my own adventure...across Canada. There are a lot of back roads where I live and I also take a few highways so the power of the GS would be nice because I normally find myself cruising @ 4500 on 5000 rpm on the KLR.
Attached Images

Crackberry screwed with this post 11-17-2011 at 02:53 PM
Old 11-17-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
Crackberry OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Honestly neither bike looks small, proportion wise. The KLR looks like the suspension could use more preload, and to a lesser degree the same goes for the F800.

You're just looking for an exucse to buy a new bike, aren't you?

If that's the case, you have my blessing. If not, add some preload.

I just picked up the KLR a month back....but thanks for your blessing.....As for the prelaod on the KLR its already set at the maximum....BTW, I weigh about 270lbs!
Old 11-17-2011, 03:08 PM   #8
MoodyBlues
Hey! Watch this.

Oddometer: 353
Being a heavier guy sucks for motorcycling. I know. I have won many beers betting people my weight. I weigh 245+ but look 190 or so. PITA now for motorcycle suspension.

Just my 2 cents, but piss on what it looks like to anyone. Ride what makes you happy. If I was you... I would save the $ of buying a GS and get your suspension set up right for your weight and ride the hell out of the KLR. Night and day difference in handling. If you want more power, go with the GS. Suit yourself, not the anyone else.

'11 BMW F800GS lava orange, '08 Kawasaki Concours, '06 ZX-10R track bike
'13 KTM 500 XC-W
MoodyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:10 PM   #9
MoodyBlues
Hey! Watch this.

Oddometer: 353
Almost forgot............"but who better than this community to get honest advice.... "

'11 BMW F800GS lava orange, '08 Kawasaki Concours, '06 ZX-10R track bike
'13 KTM 500 XC-W
MoodyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:37 PM   #10
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,250
I'm no expert on KLR's, but 4500 to 5000 rpms sounds fine to me. I agree that since you just got the bike, it makes sense to beef up it's suspension instead of getting another bike. You will want more adjustment for your future adventure trips anyway, since luggage is going to add even more weight. I'm sure someone makes heavy duty front and rear springs, since the KLR has so much aftermarket support.

Once you get used to off roading again, you will probably be able man-handle that KLR; something small people struggle with.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:46 PM   #11
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,081
You would look great on a harley.
Get a big fat one with lots of chrome and stuff.
I think the FLX Sportsterglide Chrome Bob Dyna Fat Short Boy is on sale now.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:00 PM   #12
VintageBandit
Cat in the Hat

Oddometer: 21
Hey man I weight 310lbs and stand 6'2" and look okay I'm told on my F800. If anything get the side bags and such and you'l be the last thing people look at, or go with my dream bike and get an R1200GSA, thats a biggin.
Attached Images

VintageBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:27 PM   #13
Crackberry OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBandit View Post
Hey man I weight 310lbs and stand 6'2" and look okay I'm told on my F800. If anything get the side bags and such and you'l be the last thing people look at, or go with my dream bike and get an R1200GSA, thats a biggin.

My BMW dealer told me that they are about to get a 2008 R1200GSA with all the fixins' soon! In fact I sat on another 2010 used one and liked it a lot.... but it was too expensive. Unfortunately, they haven't got the 2008 in as yet and ....I keep reading the ride reports on this forum.....and thinking tempus fugit!
Old 11-17-2011, 06:56 PM   #14
hamiamham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
I haves a 650 which has a smaller frame but I'm 275 without gear, 6' tall. I have the Hyperpro suspension set-up front and rear. Really makes a huge different in my opinion. Got it installed and dialed in by the owner in NJ.
hamiamham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:53 PM   #15
Lounge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
My very first bike was a Kawi KE100 - burned my damn leg on that pipe so many times I lost count - good times.

Have a seat on that 1200 before you decide.