Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2014, 09:21 AM   #1
ubermick OP
the n00biest

Oddometer: 160
Moving turn signals with Motech luggage rack... Necessary?

Righty ho, chaps and chapettes. So my F650GS arrived safe and sound on Friday, and my SW Motech luggage rack arrived yesterday evening. (Only three days late... well done, FedEx!) Apparently though, I did a piss-poor job of doing my research on these, as when I popped them open and got to installing, I noticed they want my rear turn signals relocated. (Snagged them from Amazon, where there was no mention of it, although does say it loud and proud on the Twisted Throttle page for the same kit.)

So looking to slap a pair of Pelican 1550s on there with Caribou's DIY kit. Doing a dry fit, the racks go nowhere near the blinkies, so questioning whether or not relocating them is actually necessary, although holding a case on there, it does impede the view of the signal (what little there would be) from the side.

Anyone got a similar setup, and if so did you move them? Would rather not mess about with that step if I don't have to, and to be honest am not a big fan of how they look when moved. I did ping Roger at Caribou, but he was unsure about needing to do it or not...
ubermick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:42 AM   #2
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,477
I moved mine, but I did not use their wiring. I blindly accepted the inference that the rack conflicts with the blinkers. I've mounted MoskoMoto Scout panniers which are nowhere close. I'll check my installation to see if the blinker move was unnecessary.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:55 AM   #3
bmwroadsterca
RadioFlyer

Oddometer: 126
I had done this install on my wife's bike. No mods to the signals necessary. I read somewhere that this is there to satisfy some EU or German requirement.

mike
bmwroadsterca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
tofire409
Geared up and ready.

Oddometer: 654
It's an F8... but no mods needed

tofire409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:42 PM   #5
Girthy Knobkers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
I did relocate. But no need for changing the wiring, just get under the rear plastic cover and snip the zip ties holding the connectors in place. That will free up enough oem wiring to move them back. They are much more visible if moved! This also prevents anything that could go wrong down the road with re-wired signals...
Girthy Knobkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:20 AM   #6
ubermick OP
the n00biest

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girthy Knobkers View Post
This also prevents anything that could go wrong down the road with re-wired signals...
Think that's my worry about it - the fact that BMW (and all manufacturers really) love to blame everything and anything in the case that something goes wrong.

Everything's mounted up, and the signals are deffo visible from the back, just not from the side. (That said, not sure how visible they are from the side anyways.)
ubermick is offline   Reply With Quote