Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2009, 10:46 AM   #16
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS
I removed the metal bracket with the reflectors and mounted the plate directly to the fender. This allowed me to also lose the extension block from the license plate lamp. If you look at pictures of the Euro bikes, that's how they are originally. The reflectors and such are a North American thing.
Ditto. Did the same exact thing.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:34 PM   #17
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,041
+2 for deleting the reflector bracket and the light block extension.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:46 PM   #18
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,716
Wish I could take off that stuff... License plate lighting and at least one reflector in the rear is required by law in my state (Texas). At least all the crappy emissions stuff does not... Kill the cat!
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:40 PM   #19
cisco
old fat guy

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartron
Funny you mention it....

Would love to pick up a chain guide for the F8. Interested in making a few bucks? I'm sure there are enough of us here
I'm on the same page. I broke my chain this week end, maybe a rock. The first thing I thought was that a chain guide would be in order. It may be tricky without welding or drilling the swing arm. This project is definitely a priority for me. Any lines on a guide a guy could start with, chain size and all ?
Cisco
cisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:10 PM   #20
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,291
Bartron will post some pics this weekend. I drilled and tapped the swing arm for the mount of a 1 x 1 x 1/8" aluminum angle. I hand drilled it and tapped it with the wheel on and the bike on the side stand. There is over 1/2" thick aluminum to drill thru on the heavy bosses on the swing arm. No need to weld anything!

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:19 AM   #21
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
Wish I could take off that stuff... License plate lighting and at least one reflector in the rear is required by law in my state (Texas). At least all the crappy emissions stuff does not... Kill the cat!
We're not removing the plate light, just the extension block that makes the light stick out an extra 2" or so. And why does it not suprise me tha Tex-ass doesn't care about emissions....
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:56 AM   #22
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140
We're not removing the plate light, just the extension block that makes the light stick out an extra 2" or so. And why does it not suprise me tha Tex-ass doesn't care about emissions....
It's mainly so we can stand around at the dealer and laugh at the crap California requires on bikes that no one in the rest of the world uses.

I was contemplating getting a 1973 two stroke Honda to commute to work with so I can do my part in global warming, it still gets cold a few days of the year here lol.

edit: I forgot if the cat is used anywhere else but I think the charcoal canister is only for cal. I don't really care though I just want to ride! :)
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:16 PM   #23
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 10,681
Quote:
. . . . but I don't care for rigged stuff that involves blow torches and drills.

Thanks
Oh, boy -- now the Man Police will come and cut a corner off your Guy Card.

Careful you don't loose all four corners . . . .
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.

bomber60015 screwed with this post 10-30-2009 at 02:07 PM
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:39 PM   #24
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,218
Quote:
I stuck some bits of red reflective tape on the side of the license plate lamp to cover that minor legal issue just in the remote chance it should ever come under scrutiny. Also have a strip of reflective tape on each side case.
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:57 PM   #25
Bartron
Bike Punisher

Oddometer: 692
Pics courtesy of Indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited
I drilled and tapped the swing arm for the mount of a 1 x 1 x 1/8" aluminum angle. I hand drilled it and tapped it with the wheel on and the bike on the side stand. There is over 1/2" thick aluminum to drill thru on the heavy bosses on the swing arm. No need to weld anything!

Scottoiler Reservoir:

==================================
:: Furious Basterds: Velox, Vehemens, Oblivio
::
:: "For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible. For those who do, none is necessary."

Bartron screwed with this post 12-28-2009 at 10:31 PM
Bartron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:36 PM   #26
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for hosting the pics Bartron!

Drilled the swing arm with 3/16" drill and then a 13/32" bit thru the 2 flat heavy bosses on the bottom. there is a half inch of material do drill thru. Tap with M6 tap. No need to remove the wheel just place it on the side stand and drill with a hand drill.

Angle is 1" x 1" x 1/8" aluminum - painted black. Mine is 3" longer for mounting the Scott Oiler that will drip onto the chain in the chain guide from above.
For a cleaner look you can go with a 1.5" x 1.5" a 1/8" angle and mount the BRP on the front side of the angle. That way you would not cover the top of the block. If I did it over I would try that.

BRP Moto brand Husaberg right side chain guide BRP Moto part # CGD-8002-B.

http://www.brpmoto.com/product_info.php?products_id=1922

Need 2 - 80 mm long M6 bolts and 3 - 20mm long M6 bolts and 4 - 1/4" inside diameter x .200" thick spacers

Takes a few hours to do in the garage. Well worth it for adventure riding.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS

Indy Unlimited screwed with this post 10-30-2009 at 07:48 PM
Old 10-31-2009, 08:58 AM   #27
cisco
old fat guy

Oddometer: 277
Wink nice work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited
Thanks for hosting the pics Bartron!

Drilled the swing arm with 3/16" drill and then a 13/32" bit thru the 2 flat heavy bosses on the bottom. there is a half inch of material do drill thru. Tap with M6 tap. No need to remove the wheel just place it on the side stand and drill with a hand drill.

Angle is 1" x 1" x 1/8" aluminum - painted black. Mine is 3" longer for mounting the Scott Oiler that will drip onto the chain in the chain guide from above.
For a cleaner look you can go with a 1.5" x 1.5" a 1/8" angle and mount the BRP on the front side of the angle. That way you would not cover the top of the block. If I did it over I would try that.

BRP Moto brand Husaberg right side chain guide BRP Moto part # CGD-8002-B.

Need 2 - 80 mm long M6 bolts and 3 - 20mm long M6 bolts and 4 - 1/4" inside diameter x .200" thick spacers

Takes a few hours to do in the garage. Well worth it for adventure riding.
Those bosses look like they are doing the job they were intended for. Where did the guide come from?
Cisco
cisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:12 AM   #28
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Hey Cisco,

You can buy the chain guide here:

http://www.brpmoto.com/images/cgd_8002-B_full.jpg?

Old 10-31-2009, 10:25 AM   #29
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,780
The last place I'd drill and tap something is on the swing arm of a motorcycle, IMO. Just thought I'd point out that drilling and tapping something that wasn't meant to be drilled and tapped could compromise its structural integrity. Forewarning.

And if that thing comes off while flying down the freeway it will ride the chain back up to the front countersprocket. IMMEDIATELY stopping the bike. I mean IMMEDIATELY as in you flying off the bike and landing 80 feet in front of it! I'd rather take my chances with the rare chain de-railing which will not halt the bike.

But hey good luck with that!
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:06 AM   #30
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
It's hard to imagine what purpose those two bosses serve on the swing arm, Griz, if they weren't for drilling and tapping. Seems to me that's exactly what BMW had in mind.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote