Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2009, 12:01 PM   #31
cisco
old fat guy

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
It's hard to imagine what purpose those two bosses serve on the swing arm, Griz, if they weren't for drilling and tapping. Seems to me that's exactly what BMW had in mind.

David
+!
cisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:18 PM   #32
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
It's hard to imagine what purpose those two bosses serve on the swing arm, Griz, if they weren't for drilling and tapping. Seems to me that's exactly what BMW had in mind.

David
Those heavy cast bosses were intended for mounting a chain guide by the BMW engineers and there is over 1/2" of aluminum there and a 6 mm taped hole will not compromise the swing arm in those locations. Keep in mind BMW is under pressure to make a cost effective bike. The bean counters scrapped a factory chain guide to keep costs down. Notice how soft some of the torx bolt heads are on the bike? Bean counters at it again with cheap grade metal.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:37 PM   #33
cisco
old fat guy

Oddometer: 277
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited
Thanks for the link. I hope you don't mind if I borrow your design. Just don't tell Griz.........
Cisco
cisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:28 PM   #34
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Copy away! That is why I posted the solution so that all the true off road riders would rather do this then having the chain derail and damage the hub or even lock up the rear wheel on the trail. It also lets you run the chain looser than spec. I prefer 2" of slack.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:29 AM   #35
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,710
Quote:
Those heavy cast bosses were intended for mounting a chain guide by the BMW engineers and there is over 1/2" of aluminum there and a 6 mm taped hole will not compromise the swing arm in those locations. Keep in mind BMW is under pressure to make a cost effective bike. The bean counters scrapped a factory chain guide to keep costs down. Notice how soft some of the torx bolt heads are on the bike? Bean counters at it again with cheap grade metal.

Hmm... I think this will be my next project for the bike...

And yes, I definitely noticed the soft torx bolts when I went to change a front tube on my last ride and found the bastards I had let touch my bike in another city to mount tires part way through my ride had rounded off the bolts using a 12 point socket instead of the torx socket. The should have asked me instead of being sneaky since I had a socket in my bag...
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:52 AM   #36
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 808
Nudder one

If this mod has been mentioned, I haven't seen it: Vario clutch and brake levers from Wunderlich.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:55 AM   #37
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko
If this mod has been mentioned, I haven't seen it: Vario clutch and brake levers from Wunderlich.
Next on my farkle list. Got little hands and I'm hoping they'll make things a little easier.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:57 AM   #38
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 808
They do. One you try them, you'll never go back.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:02 AM   #39
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko
They do. One you try them, you'll never go back.
Were they easy to fit?
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:58 AM   #40
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,789
Quote:
I'm just sayin' man. We actually don't know if the swingarm was meant to be tapped (unless you actually speak German, made an international call and talked to a BMW engineer in the Berlin headquarters). I don't trust my life to speculation! Even if visually it "looks" like there are "bosses".

Just my opinion.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:09 AM   #41
MBronskill
MedPhys

Oddometer: 26
Wunderlich levers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
Were they easy to fit?
They are straightforward to fit and they retain the BMW lever adjustment as well as their own, more sophisticated mechanism. Very nice, in fact wunderbar!

Mike
MBronskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:37 PM   #42
Bartron
Bike Punisher

Oddometer: 693
Did anyone else, besides Indy, go ahead and fit a chain guide? Anyone planning to? If so, how and which chain guide are you thinking of?

I like Indy's design but am curious if anyone did anything differently.

==================================
:: Furious Basterds: Velox, Vehemens, Oblivio
::
:: "For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible. For those who do, none is necessary."
Bartron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:17 PM   #43
dino
Half assed adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS
I removed the metal bracket with the reflectors and mounted the plate directly to the fender. This allowed me to also lose the extension block from the license plate lamp. If you look at pictures of the Euro bikes, that's how they are originally. The reflectors and such are a North American thing.

I didn't Like the reflectors or the light extention either so I made a new plate holder. The stock steel holder had a different pitch for the plate holes than my plate did, so the dealer drilled new holes in my plate. That bugs the hell out of me. Why can't BMW slot the plate holder so a variety of plates can be bolted on without drilling? Anyhow, here's a couple of pics.
Mount bracket

Cover

This reminds me, I still need to shorten the bolts.

Cheers, Dino
Old 12-29-2009, 02:34 PM   #44
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by dino
Mount bracket

Cover

This reminds me, I still need to shorten the bolts.

Cheers, Dino
What's the Red Green mod on the plate for? Toll avoidance on the 407?
sturgeon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:56 PM   #45
blender
Just another rider

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon
What's the Red Green mod on the plate for? Toll avoidance on the 407?
It's so the trollers on the interweb won't find out where you live and come steal your bike. Or worse, steal all your beer!

I know this happens, I read it on a forum somewhere.... ;)