Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #61
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartron View Post
Did anyone else, besides Indy, go ahead and fit a chain guide? Anyone planning to? If so, how and which chain guide are you thinking of?

I like Indy's design but am curious if anyone did anything differently.
Here's my install of the BRP chain guide. Remarkably easy, I highly recommend that anyone riding a significant amount of offroad do this mod.

For my bracket I used a section of plate steel that was originally intended for holding SAN disk trays in a server cabinet, specifically they are Sun Microsystems CSM-200 tray rails. I have a bunch of them laying around my garage, along with some old SAN gear ;) ... they're very strong and can easily hold 150lbs. So I chopped that up to the correct size, and the nice part is that the folded section of the steel is a perfect, I mean completely perfect, fit for the width needed in between the front section of the BRP mounting bracket. If anyone is doing this install and needs a bracket I can provide some - as I have the material for at least 6-8 of these (free too, just pay for shipping).

Plate steel SAN rail

Chopped and painted bracket made from the SAN rail, drilled for mounting

The holes in the singwarm mounting bosses. Drilled and tapped.

All setup, view from the side (yes my axle nut is off). I left a bit of room up front in case I wanted to move the chain guide forward more. I'll probably cut that off later but I need to see how it rides first.

View from the front, you can see how the folded steel fits into the space between the mounting area on the BRP.

View from below, I used grade 8 bolts

View from behind, straight as can be!

señormoto screwed with this post 01-07-2012 at 06:47 PM
señormoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #62
SportFaller
Dirt dont hurt, MUCH

Oddometer: 666
I'll take a piece! This is on my mod list for the winter!
SportFaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #63
WF_Jester
n00b

Oddometer: 247
Same

I will take a piece also.

2010 BMW F800GS
1965 Panhead Chopper
2006 HD Roadking
2005 Softail Standard - Stolen
1981 Suzuki GSX 750 - Burned
1977 Yamaha IT 400 - Burned
1974 Suzuki TC 100 - Sold

WF_Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #64
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WF_Jester View Post
I will take a piece also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportFaller View Post
I'll take a piece! This is on my mod list for the winter!
Guys, PM me with your addresses and I'll let you know how much the shipping costs. Shouldn't be much. If you want the bracket as long as the one in my pics let me know, otherwise I'll make it shorter than my bracket (long enough for the BRP with about an inch extra) since you don't need it to be that long and I plan on trimming mine down later.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:51 PM   #65
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 939
Rear reservoir relocation

Quote:
Originally Posted by thematt View Post
Here's my install of the BRP chain guide. Remarkably easy, I highly recommend that anyone riding a significant amount of offroad do this mod.

For my bracket I used a section of plate steel that was originally intended for holding SAN disk trays in a server cabinet, specifically they are Sun Microsystems CSM-200 tray rails. I have a bunch of them laying around my garage, along with some old SAN gear ;) ... they're very strong and can easily hold 150lbs. So I chopped that up to the correct size, and the nice part is that the folded section of the steel is a perfect, I mean completely perfect, fit for the width needed in between the front section of the BRP mounting bracket. If anyone is doing this install and needs a bracket I can provide some - as I have the material for at least 6-8 of these (free too, just pay for shipping).

Plate steel SAN rail

Chopped and painted bracket made from the SAN rail, drilled for mounting

The holes in the singwarm mounting bosses. Drilled and tapped.

All setup, view from the side (yes my axle nut is off). I left a bit of room up front in case I wanted to move the chain guide forward more. I'll probably cut that off later but I need to see how it rides first.

View from the front, you can see how the folded steel fits into the space between the mounting area on the BRP.

View from below, I used grade 8 bolts

View from behind, straight as can be!
Nice work on the chain guide thematt and Indy.

Inspired by Max's BMW Rally bike and then reminded LJRAT I went and did this for my rear reservoir.

When I saw it on Max's I thought hay maybe a bike reflector bracket will work...

Really simple! Go to a bike store and ask for a 27mm dia. rear reflector bracket. They usually have tons of 'em and give them away free. It needs to have an extended arm like above. Add bolt and nut...done.

It fits perfectly and sits in there well guarded. It's only a degree or so off level so pretty good. I may still play around with other placements...

There now we don't have to make one!

If you don't hear from me ever again something went wrong with it...

Dave

www.motooverland.com
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #66
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels View Post
Nice work on the chain guide thematt and Indy.
Inspired by Max's BMW Rally bike and then reminded LJRAT I went and did this for my rear reservoir.
When I saw it on Max's I thought hay maybe a bike reflector bracket will work...

Really simple! Go to a bike store and ask for a 27mm dia. rear reflector bracket. They usually have tons of 'em and give them away free. It needs to have an extended arm like above. Add bolt and nut...done.
Wow, great idea! I think I have a spare one on my wife's beach cruiser...
Old 01-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #67
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Ok guys, I cut up the new brackets for you all over the weekend. I'll be shipping them out this week. They aren't painted and they don't have holes drilled, since that all depends on where you tap the swingarm and where you want the BRP to sit on the rail. The brackets are also retaining the original side metal that was cut off of mine, this will protect the BRP from side impacts and add torsional rigidity; I'll be making a new bracket for my bike with this design as it's stronger than the chopped version.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #68
SportFaller
Dirt dont hurt, MUCH

Oddometer: 666
AWESOME! let me know what the shipping will be!
SportFaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:19 PM   #69
Mach Z
Budding ADV Addict!

Oddometer: 62
Cleaned up rear end

Just a simple clean-up. Removed plate light spacer and OEM bracket. Made new bracket from .080 6061 T6. Enough give in a crash so it won't rip your fender off!
Attached Images

Mach Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #70
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach Z View Post
Just a simple clean-up. Removed plate light spacer and OEM bracket. Made new bracket from .080 6061 T6. Enough give in a crash so it won't rip your fender off!
Are those aviation fasteners?

Ryan
Old 01-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #71
Mach Z
Budding ADV Addict!

Oddometer: 62
Airbus hardware. Must have fallen off..
Mach Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #72
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,936
I see your old sheet metal skills are still paying off. I hate those stinking fasteners - we've got them all over our machines as well.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote