Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2008, 07:39 PM   #1
mark32725 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
FL, GA, SC, NC, TN, Continued...the DRZ rides again!

________________________________________________Sc roll down for part II -June 2009-________________________________________

My first ADV worthy ride, brought on by reading all the reports on this site, my birthday being this week, I had to go for it myself, riding solo... The bike is a 2002 DRZ400s with 17k on it, put on a IMS 4 gallon tank, mcct, and dirtbagz for this ride, and replaced my speedo with a old Garmin colormap that I had.

Day 1 (11-11-08)

Not many pics had to make some miles... this trip was all paved roads, but only about 50 miles on a interstate, trying to stay to the back roads for the scenery...

The cotton fields were being harvested and cotton was all over the roads blowing around almost like snow.

Day 2

Don't have to push so hard today can stop and enjoy the sights a little more...

Thought it was cool that they werent roped off and you could walk up and touch them...but gotta get back on the road...

Water is pretty low!

Day 3

Getting into the mountains today I will only see one other bike, after talking to the locals I find out there has already been ice on the roads and they think I am crazy to be out riding in the cold..

Rain is closing in on me or probably snow up here!

That was it, started raining right at the end of my ride.. I was meeting up with my parents up in pigeon forge, they were already up there on vacation and I put the bike on the MX hauler and brought it back behind their lincoln, and it rained for the next few days....

mark32725 screwed with this post 07-01-2009 at 06:13 PM
mark32725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:05 PM   #2
Fireman1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,450
That's a great ride. You should have checked out some of the county dirt roads on your way up. BTW, was this picture taken on HWY 129 just outside of Gray Georgia? If so, you were right around the corner from my house. I live on the other side of the farm to your right. Great report, pretty hard core considering the distance, and your choice of bike.
Attached Images

Fireman1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:23 PM   #3
motoxusa
Biker Dude

Oddometer: 254
Thanks for sharing your ride and the great photos. I just returned from a similar ride to the Smoky's. It was really beautiful. Of course, the DRZ seat makes for a long hard ride.
2004 DRZ400S
motoxusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:58 PM   #4
mark32725 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman1000
That's a great ride. You should have checked out some of the county dirt roads on your way up. BTW, was this picture taken on HWY 129 just outside of Gray Georgia? If so, you were right around the corner from my house. I live on the other side of the farm to your right. Great report, pretty hard core considering the distance, and your choice of bike.

I just looked at my route and your exactly right, good eye!

I made the mistake of having planned stops, next time I will try to explore more and just stop wherever..

mark32725 screwed with this post 12-13-2008 at 01:47 PM
Old 11-17-2008, 01:26 AM   #5
PU Skunk
not quite as noobish

Oddometer: 214
Hey I recognize those pics from US 178. That's a sportbike mecca for the locals in the summer. I was up on the BRP a month or so ago, it was COLD up there even then! Have any problems with wet leaves?
PU Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:06 AM   #6
Rollin
Go.

Oddometer: 542
Great report! I used to go to the Robbins museum pretty frequently when I lived up in Macon. The B1 and the A10 are new since I was there.
How long did you ride per day?
Old 11-17-2008, 04:24 AM   #7
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,425
Neat Ride Report. I love aviation museums. I need to go do the BRP again. My only time is was so foggy I couldn't see anything cept the road. Thanks for taking us along.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:55 AM   #8
mark32725 OP
Adventurer

Day one was a 10 hour trip and about 6 hours for the next 2 days... The seat was getting hard to take towards the end..

The roads were covered in wet leaves and I was on knobbies, the first corner I pushed it slid a little so I pretty much knew how hard I could push from there.. It was a blast, its like a endless road course, we have nothing even close here in Florida. I think the windiest road I was on was 276 before it hits the blue ridge parkway.. I had set out to ride the dragon but bad weather stopped me.. Oh well a good reason to try again in warmer waether!
Old 11-17-2008, 04:58 AM   #9
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,842
Nice ride!!

Btw, I don't think those ADV decals are going to stay glued to your fuel tank.. gas vapors leeching thru the plastic will degrade the glue.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:01 PM   #10
Fireman1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,450
You were just around the corner from the Piedmont Wildlife Refuge. Some nice out of the way FS roads there. Here's a sample.

So I was able to get off today at noon. I surprised Traci at work and took her to lunch. After that, she had to finish her day, and the kids wanted to stay at my mom's, so I had a free afternoon. It's time to ride. I hurried home, hopped on the KLR and headed for the Piedmont WMA. I spent a few hours exploring the forest service roads all by myself. It was really peaceful the few times I stopped for pictures. This is one of many farms that dot the landscape down here.

Last time I crossed this in my truck, it was up to the bumper. I drive a 2003 4x4 Ford F-150.

This is another creek crossing, but it's more of a small waterfall than a creek ford. It was a nice spot to relax in the solitude of the afternoon for a bit.

After 20 minutes of just taking in the moment, and listening to the water flow, I saddled up and started heading for home. The last time Chris and I were here, we bypassed this road for times sake, so today I took it to see what lay around the bend. What I found was this beautiful pasture that rolled down to a pond glistening in the afternoon sun. This is what motorcycling is all about for me. Just riding to see where the road takes you.

This little road

Led to this

Another great afternoon wasted on two wheels. Life is good.
Fireman1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:59 PM   #11
mark32725 OP
Adventurer

Laugh

Well I wasnt happy with the results of the first try, missing out on the Tail of the Dragon...so try, try again. This time I rode with a co-worker, he was on a Harley Dyna Lowrider.

Also to change it up a bit we decided to camp most of the way. Leaving Florida it had been raining for over a week straight, the first week of June 2009...

Leaving FL crossing the Suwanee River

We camp at a KOA in Georgia, its still hot and humid, I find myself breaking a sweat packing around 8 am, cant wait to get further north...

Decided to go off course a bit because of a scenic overview sign.

Decided to stay at a motorcycle campground..."The Ironhorse"

I am taking alot of flak for my air mattress. What can I say I am sleeping well!!!

The big problem with this place is that its in a dry county. We ride all over the place and cant find any beer, then we finally ask someone . We talk about moving on but its dark already... I am excited, riding the Dragon tomorrow!

We set out early stopping just down the road to set up the GPS.

Along the way another sign for a dam... another side trip brings us to a dam with a tourist center...

The emergency spillway looks like a great waterslide!

You can see the tourist center at the top and the bottom the the spill way, it runs right under the bldg.

Just down the road there is another one. Looks like they pump the water into the top container and then dump it???

Just about to the dragon, get some fuel and get ready to have some fun!

Made it!!!

A guy there jumps on his harley hits the starter and the bike bursts into flames!!! I run to the gas pump thinking fire extinguisher but there isnt one! So a bunch of people put it out so t shirts..

Well I'm off!!! Even fully loaded and knobbies, I manage to drag peg around a few turns.. Really fun road, I am used to straight flat roads where I live...

Stay in a hotel in Pigeon Forge, it will be the only hotel on this trip...headed to a friends house the next day..

Down the blue ridge parkway... where I have fun running down a guy on a GSXR in the tighter corners.... getting to the top, its raining a little...

Go around the corner and bam!!! What the hell its summer!

Get to my friends house that night, stay for a couple of days and head home from South Carolina to central Florida in one shot in the rain the whole time 12hrs... By now my ass HURTS!!! I am ready to get off the bike.

Good to be home,

Time to start planning the next trip!!

mark32725 screwed with this post 07-04-2009 at 09:55 AM