ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2009, 09:44 AM   #46
montanaGS
sig sputnik

Oddometer: 56
Lolo Motorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmyzrider
Do any of you guys in the area have any info or experience riding the Lolo Motor Way? Speedster and myself will be taking that route on Sept 10th on our way to the KTM ralley. We are wondering if there is any good camping along the trail, and how long will it take to go through it? If any of you have any information, it would be helpful for our ride.

Thanks
I was on it about 3 weeks ago. Coming from Missoula, your camping would be close to the end of the trail (there are a bunch of threads for the motorway, including suggested campsites - you can pull of almost anywhere - I saw several semi-established campsites). I did half of it in an afternoon, but there are some turnoffs (the something lookout after the Indian Post Office) that I didn't have time for that would make it a perfect overnight expedition.

Once you're on it, you really can't get lost all of the way to Kamiah (I forgot to get a map and just used my GPS). I was on a GSA with TKC 80's and got a little concerned about flats because there are loose jagged rocks all of the way. So, I would be prepared for that contingency.

A fantastic route.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r1/clearwater/L...ving_lolom.pdf
montanaGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:36 PM   #47
Speedster
Gizmo Slut

Oddometer: 415
MTGS,

Thanks for the info. JJM is on a KTM 620 with knobbies, I'll be on a Dakar with 606 knobbies, so we should be fine. I'm glad to hear it is a little rough. It should be fun.

Is it true there are places to cut back over to the highway, or once your on it, are you on it until the end?

We are leaving Helena about 1 pm on Thursday and taking the interstate to Missoula, so I am curious if you think we will make it all the way over or if you think we will be tenting it along the Motorway? We are both accomplished off-roaders/MXers, so we should be able to cruise along pretty good. It is getting dark earlier, but I would like to make it all the way over. Either way is cool with me though!

03 Dakar, 04 CRF450R, 14 Ski Doo Summit X 800, 07 Summit X 800, 00 Mountain Max, Foes Fly, Rocky Mountain Altitude 770MSL, Giant STP, Giant VT-1, Bianchi Giro, wife
Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:49 AM   #48
Putts
Gettin' there.

Oddometer: 11,186
Well, now I've gone and done it!

Over many brewskis in my back yard we've mulled over the idea of a Montana Ralley. Last weekend, on the top of a mountain, Brad, Dan, and I threw a stake in the ground, and said it should be done.

And so it is.

Locals can help plan here.

Riders sign up here.

Let's get busy. Hope you can make it!
Old 09-15-2009, 09:48 PM   #49
Chains45 OP
Wait.... what?

Oddometer: 486
Montana 1000x & West Fest

For those of you that may have been sleeping or otherwise engaged and missed the excitement of the last few days, we (MT inmates) have collectively gone off our rockers and agreed to host not just the 2010 WestFest, but also a 1000 mile ride preceding it.

Please check in with Putts' links above and put in your .02 - all help appreciated and greatly needed.

Life is too short for regrets, I want to come to the end of this life bruised, battered, scratched and bleeding, holding a broken bone or two, and yelling "WOW WHAT A RIDE!! LETS DO IT AGAIN!!!!!"
Chains45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:26 PM   #50
seanohal
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Greetings

I'm new here. I ride all over the Missoula area and on the res.

Wish I would have found this forum earlier this year.

---------------------
seanohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:45 PM   #51
Chains45 OP
Wait.... what?

Well you have a lot of catching up to do, I find myself still exploring this forum after 1-1/2 years.

Welcome!! Any questions don't be shy.

Life is too short for regrets, I want to come to the end of this life bruised, battered, scratched and bleeding, holding a broken bone or two, and yelling "WOW WHAT A RIDE!! LETS DO IT AGAIN!!!!!"
Old 11-02-2009, 07:28 AM   #52
Beartooth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
dang

Dang! We never got out and road. Who's still riding their bikes in the cold? This is about the time of year when the tarp goes over it. Although I bet we get a couple of nice weekends in November.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:34 AM   #53
Chains45 OP
Wait.... what?

I hope to ride till the road to my place ices up, then will trailer the bike down to the valley on really nice days till it thaws. Wimped out this morning, used the excuse that I had some things to carry in that would not fit on the bike.

Dang, 20F can be chilly though...

Old 11-02-2009, 10:38 AM   #54
seanohal
n00b

It's a nice day for a ride if you don't go over 45.

---------------------
Old 11-02-2009, 01:03 PM   #55
Corky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
A bit of humor for cold country riders

Frozen Carburetor - Humor :-)

In the fun world of the administration of justice, not all the laughs are in the court-room. Indeed, giggles and guffaws can erupt at almost any time or place. For example: On a bitterly cold winter's day several years ago in northern British Columbia, a RCMP constable on patrol came across a motorcyclist, who was swathed
in protective clothing and helmet, stalled by the roadside. "What's the matter?" asked the policeman.

"Carburetor's frozen," was the terse reply.
"Pee on it. That'll thaw it out," said the constable.

"Can't," replied the motorcyclist.

"OK, Watch me and I will show you."

The constable demonstrated by lubricating the carburetor, as promised. The bike started and the rider drove off, waving.

A few days later, the detachment office received a note of thanks from the father of the motorbike rider.

It began: "On behalf of my daughter, who recently was stranded ...."

Stay warm,

Corky

AMA # 199311 Charter Life Member
"Keep The Rubberside Down"
Corky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:27 PM   #56
seanohal
n00b

If anyone finds a pair of mirrors on Dead Man Ridge trail on Blue Mountain, they're mine.

---------------------
Old 12-14-2009, 11:50 AM   #57
drdirty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Stone Mill closing

I hope that Stone's closing dosen't hurt any ADV members here
I lived in Missoula for 14 and a half years, and left there in 1998. I knew several great people who were employed there, some have already retired.
How sad to see this happen. Of course it was talked about for years, but to see it really happening is so depressing.
I went though that nightmare before with the lumber industry. Thank God for my Retail Meat Cutting experience, as it has come in handy several times. But alot of jobs will be lost with the trickel down effect.
If any body here is affected or know of someone who is, I wish the best of luck. Keep a positive attitude and be flexible.

Anyway, prayers will be sent from DRdirty from Harlowton
drdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:10 PM   #58
Chains45 OP
Wait.... what?

I live in Frenchtown, and as far as I know none of my Stone employed friends are riders. Stone's closing will be a huge blow to the community as it is by far the largest employer in the area and will have a heavy affect on our economy.

Glad I was not going to try to sell my house any time soon.....

Old 12-27-2009, 05:54 PM   #59
MTADVENTURER
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Stone Closing

I'm a Smurfit-Stone employee of 32 years ~ seems like I should know you CHAINS45, you live in Frenchtown and are associated with the fire dept ? I facilitated the land donation to Frenchtown Rural Fire a few years back, we donated 2 acres to you on Mullan Road near our mill. I ride the Frenchtown, 9 Mile, Alberton, Fish Creek, Lolo Creek, Tarkio areas a fair amount. Lets hook up this spring, I'll have a lot more riding time when the mill closes. I'm on a Dakar most of the time.
MTADVENTURER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:10 PM   #60
Chains45 OP
Wait.... what?

That would be excellent! Been wanting to find someone to ride with. I think I have seen your bike parked in the employees lot as I drive past. Other than training and calls I have not had a lot to do with the mill, and was not part of the group that discussed the land deal.

Prayers with you and fellow Stone employees, this has got to be the shits.