ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2014, 05:49 PM   #1216
DirtyPatches
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samick View Post
Hi, just moved to Missoula from the twin cities. I currently own a cbr600, which i realize is not exactly an ideal adventure bike (I've been considering a dual sport for awhile). with that said, i come to this forum because it appears to have the most traffic for this region. Which is why i ask you guys;

are there any twisties in the missoula area that are paved and would be equally fun for a sport bike with sport tires and dirt bike style adventure bike? Maybe i can get into supermoto some time next spring, but untill then i'd like to still try to enjoy my current bike.

Thanks all
Lots of paved in town twisties up south hills miller creek area, HWY 93 to eastside HWY and loop back, HWY 12 is always a good one too for a longer ride without dirt and some good twists that a sport bike can really rip through watch out for moose and deer though!
All about the dual sports out here even some of Montana paved roads are jacked up and lots more adventure to be had with dirt road capabilities

DirtyPatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:26 PM   #1217
Samick
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyPatches View Post
Lots of paved in town twisties up south hills miller creek area, HWY 93 to eastside HWY and loop back, HWY 12 is always a good one too for a longer ride without dirt and some good twists that a sport bike can really rip through watch out for moose and deer though!
All about the dual sports out here even some of Montana paved roads are jacked up and lots more adventure to be had with dirt road capabilities
Hey thanks a lot man. I'm honestly pretty excited by the idea of dual sport. just hope my new job can support it. So uppon investigating the miller creek area, via google maps, it looks like its mostly twisty twisty housing developements, or am i missing some very specific good stuff? what is the "east side highway" exactly? thanks again for the help, and hopefully by next spring i can contribute to the forum on a some what more useful level. With that said does any one care to comment on how supermotos fair on the rougher roads around here? or are all out dot knobbies pretty much the only way to go?
Samick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:51 PM   #1218
Kinsman
Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer: 3,767
Like DirtyPatches said, highway 12. One of the best, ever.
It's nice up to the pass but after that it gets really twisty and super fun. A run up to the Lochsa Lodge (say locksaw) for lunch is really fun. I've got some longer paved loops that can be done in a day too. Just holler.

Highway 200 up to Lincoln is nice too. Ditto 93 down to Salmon.

When you get something more dirt-capable...well the options are pretty much limitless.

Schreckendgust Field, Montana

Kinsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:09 PM   #1219
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 991
Lotta good secondary paved roads about, but when you go dual sport...there is virtually no end.

Just got back from a solo. Ran over to Lochsa then north coming out at St. Regis. 160 miles across with some of the best (and challenging) roads I've been on. 330 miles total noon Sunday to Monday evening. I'll throw some pictures and report together. The roads in that country are virtually endless. The good - the roads and scenery. The bad - one flat, an easy fix this morning, but then I lost my right side pannier with tools/tubes/pump somewhere over a 100 miles stretch before I noticed in St. Regis. (Just couldn't stop riding cold turkey after the BOM.)
Wansfel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:14 PM   #1220
Kinsman
Ribs....for her pleasure

Just this morning I was looking at maps of that same area. I've been wanting to get up there and explore. Might want to pick your brain a bit.

Did you get your pannier back or should I go look for it?

Old 08-12-2014, 12:43 PM   #1221
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

I think I may be able to localize the location based on my pictures. Now you see it, now you don't. There is a USFS work center not too far. I may see if I can contact them to be on the look out. For now, I need to reassemble some tools, I have a back up air pump, and probably some tubes. Needed to replace my 17" anyway as that was changed out Monday morning first thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsman View Post
Just this morning I was looking at maps of that same area. I've been wanting to get up there and explore. Might want to pick your brain a bit.

Did you get your pannier back or should I go look for it?
Old 08-12-2014, 07:07 PM   #1222
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Lost Pannier

Detective work. Picture A, right pannier present:

Picture B, right pannier missing:

Google Maps satellite view of above picture locations. 4 mile stretch of rough road, even rougher stretch leading to point A.

Full path (less some side trips).
Old 08-13-2014, 06:12 PM   #1223
Hobbsrt
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Ride from Cody to Glacier and back. ill be riding 2 up on my triumph explorer 1200 and am interested in some good dirt for views and cool stuff along the way. Moderately technical stuff is ok. Thanks for any help.

2012 Triumph Explorer
Hobbsrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:18 PM   #1224
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbsrt View Post
Ride from Cody to Glacier and back. ill be riding 2 up on my triumph explorer 1200 and am interested in some good dirt for views and cool stuff along the way. Moderately technical stuff is ok. Thanks for any help.
Give this http://goo.gl/maps/Yyfmd a look see. Lots of non technical dirt. Lots of scenery.
Includes Chief Joeseph Hwy, Yellowstone, Red Rock Road, Medicine Lodge Road, Bannack State Park, Elk nHorn Hotsprings, Pioneer Scenic Byway, Mt Haggin Road, Rock Ck Road, Garnet (ghost town), Seelye/Swan, Glacier.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:04 PM   #1225
Kinsman
Ribs....for her pleasure

That road from Eureka to Polebridge was spectacular.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:26 AM   #1226
RingGap
UK Expat

Oddometer: 103
[QUOTE=Kinsman;24817644]Like DirtyPatches said, highway 12. One of the best, ever.
It's nice up to the pass but after that it gets really twisty and super fun. A run up to the Lochsa Lodge (say locksaw) for lunch is really fun. I've got some longer paved loops that can be done in a day too. Just holler.

Highway 200 up to Lincoln is nice too. Ditto 93 down to Salmon.

Hi I'm looking at doing 12 & 93 etc, sometime in the next month or 2, any hard core sport rider interested let me know or anybody wants to come over to Bozeman area Yellowstone - Ruby Valley let me know

Husaberg FX550e - GAS GAS 321 TXT

GONE
Ducati 999R - 1960 200 SS
MV Agusta F1000R - Brutule 750
Honda CBR900 - 81 CB900F MR Turbo
Maico 77 400 Magnum 83 490
KX500 H1500 Mach 111 H2 750A
Husaberg 95 FE501 - 00 FE650e
RingGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:57 PM   #1227
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Magruder closed

I see the recent rains (plus the effects of recent year's fires) have caused a series of slides east of the Magruder Ranger Station. Report.

Sounds like it will take a few days to clear.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:43 PM   #1228
Kinsman
Ribs....for her pleasure

In between Nez Perce pass and Magruder station.
Thanks for the heads up.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:43 PM   #1229
pjensen641
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Wow, glad I checked the regional forums. Headed out that way from Iowa and will be doing about 2000 miles through the area. Plan was to hit the Magruder around next weekend. What are the odds it will be open in a week?

I'll be hitting the Lolo motorway too. Any other road damage in the area?

Past Rides: '82 GL500, '00 YZ426, '01 DRZ400S, '04 ST4S
pjensen641 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:26 PM   #1230
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjensen641 View Post
Wow, glad I checked the regional forums. ...............I'll be hitting the Lolo motorway too. Any other road damage in the area?
They should have it open in a few days, but be sure and check.

The Lolo Motorway follows the ridge tops for the most part and isn't as susceptible to the fire erosion problems of the Magruder. The Magruderhas had several bad fires near the road in the last couple of years which strips the vegetation and leaves the ground bare for run off.