ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2008, 12:07 PM   #1
MartyG OP
Vintage Noob

Oddometer: 53
CA. DMV Question - Are front signals required?

Hey all my California Brothers & Sisters...
fixing up my 78 Enduro for registration and I need to pick up some turn signals.
My question is does our DMV require front signals as well as rear? I don't think my bike ever came with them. There are no mounting holes.
I looked over a DMV check list and all it said was "Must have functioning turn signals."

So, if it's a '78, can I just get away with the rears?
Oscar Wilde

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:23 PM   #2
fixer
KLR-riding cheap bastard

Oddometer: 7,439
Nevada requires front and rear signals on any motorcycle made in '73 or later.

i'm not up on the Cali regs any more, but i do NOT expect that they would be more lax.

ok, found the Cali codes-

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24952.htm

Visibility Requirements of Signals

24952. A lamp-type turn signal shall be plainly visible and understandable in normal sunlight and at nighttime from a distance of at least 300 feet to the front and rear of the vehicle, except that turn signal lamps on vehicles of a size required to be equipped with clearance lamps shall be visible from a distance of 500 feet during such times.

Amended Ch. 1012, Stats. 1965. Effective September 17, 1965.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24953.htm

Turn Signal Lamps

24953. (a) Any turn signal system used to give a signal of intention to turn right or left shall project a flashing white or amber light visible to the front and a flashing red or amber light visible to the rear.

(b) Side-mounted turn signal lamps projecting a flashing amber light to either side may be used to supplement the front and rear turn signals. Side-mounted turn signal lamps mounted to the rear of the center of the vehicle may project a flashing red light no part of which shall be visible from the front.

(c) In addition to any required turn signal lamps, any vehicle may be equipped with supplemental rear turn signal lamps mounted to the rear of the rearmost portion of the driver's seat in its rearmost position.

(d) In addition to any required or authorized turn signal lamps, any vehicle may be equipped with supplemental rear turn signal lamps that are mounted on, or are an integral portion of, the outside rearview mirrors, so long as the lamps flash simultaneously with the rear turn signal lamps, the light emitted from the lamps is projected only to the rear of the vehicle and is not visible to the driver under normal operating conditions, except for a visual indicator designed to allow monitoring of lamp operation, and the lamps do not project a glaring light.
Amended Ch. 207, Stats. 1994. Effective July 18, 1994.
Amended Sec. 22, Ch. 945, Stats. 1997. Effective January 1, 1998.
And don't be scared, just enjoy your ride.

"... in my version of Heaven you get all your dogs back." Mista Vern
"Old dogs don't die, they just wait for you in another place." Twilight Error

I'll show you a place, high on a desert plain, where the streets have no name.
fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #3
MartyG OP
Vintage Noob

Ok...there it is.

Thx!

With these skills, I don't think I'll go into online background investigations anytime soon.
Oscar Wilde

Old 12-16-2008, 01:35 PM   #4
jeff_in_rc
A DRZ kind of guy

Oddometer: 616
Thumb

I agree with Fixer and will add when the DT400 first came out they had turn signals front and rear and how would I know you ask? I worked in a Yamaha shop and I got to put them together! Fun bike for sure.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:44 PM   #5
SnowAviation
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG
Ok...there it is.

Thx!
Actually, here it is: (But either way, it's still there)

Turn Signal System

(a) Any vehicle may be equipped with a lamp-type turn signal system capable of clearly indicating any intention to turn either to the right or to the left.

(b) The following vehicles shall be equipped with a lamp-type turn signal system meeting the requirements of this chapter.

(4) Motorcycles manufactured and first registered on or after January 1, 1973, except motor-driven cycles whose speed attainable in one mile is 30 miles per hour or less.
The requirements of this subdivision shall not apply to special mobile equipment, or auxiliary dollies.
(c) Turn signal lamps on vehicles manufactured on or after January 1, 1969, shall be mounted not lower than 15 inches.

Amended Ch. 475, Stats. 1975. Effective January 1, 1976.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:19 PM   #6
Memnok
Fly high, go far.

Oddometer: 348
It's California! Where everyone gets to tell you what you should be doing, where you can do it, and a pair of every thing someone thinks might make you safer is required! Welcome to the nanny state!

By the way, even though you have them, you are only required to use them if your turning movement effects another vehicle.

Quote:
22107 California Vehicle Code - No person shall turn a vehicle from a direct course or move right or left upon a roadway until such movement can be made with reasonable safety and then only after the giving of an appropriate signal in the manner provided in this chapter in the event any other vehicle may be affected by the movement.

So if there is no vehicles that could be affected, no signal is required.
Memnok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:22 PM   #7
MartyG OP
Vintage Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowAviation
Actually, here it is: (But either way, it's still there)

Turn Signal System

(a) Any vehicle may be equipped with a lamp-type turn signal system capable of clearly indicating any intention to turn either to the right or to the left.

(b) The following vehicles shall be equipped with a lamp-type turn signal system meeting the requirements of this chapter.

(4) Motorcycles manufactured and first registered on or after January 1, 1973, except motor-driven cycles whose speed attainable in one mile is 30 miles per hour or less.
The requirements of this subdivision shall not apply to special mobile equipment, or auxiliary dollies.
(c) Turn signal lamps on vehicles manufactured on or after January 1, 1969, shall be mounted not lower than 15 inches.

Amended Ch. 475, Stats. 1975. Effective January 1, 1976.
Right I saw that...my question was, do I need FRONT signals as well as rear signals.
Oscar Wilde

Old 12-16-2008, 08:27 PM   #8
BigJohnBundy
Hav-A-Tampa

Oddometer: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG
Right I saw that...my question was, do I need FRONT signals as well as rear signals.
Yes;
Anything made after January 1, 1973 Both front and rear.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:53 AM   #9
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,681
Moved to RF: West