ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2008, 07:42 AM   #16
Makakoa85032
Displaced Surfer

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefant 900 Rad
Sounds like a good event for a great cause in a great riding area (I haven't been there yet).

BRP Fun Ride to Save Johnson Valley Link

Let's get some of you ADVriders who like Johnson Valley to attend this event and show your support !!

I'm going to try to make it, maybe with some other San Diego Adventure Riders also.

United Our Voices Can be Heard
Protecting OHV access is not only important for our business and other’s like it but for the many thousands of families who share our love for OHV recreation. And with the help of District 37, ORBA and a host of others we hope you will unite with us for this cause.
Ok, I currently live in Arizona, but own property in Lucerne Valley just about 5 miles from Johnson OHV and one of the things that appealed to me when making the choice to purchase my land in LV was the fact that within a couple of minuets we could be riding and camping at Johnson OHV and while I will not be able to make it to the ride, I was wondering if anyone has put together a Petition both hard copy and on-line which would further show support for keeping area open? If by chance one has been started or gets started please post it here so that I may add my name to the list.

Mahalo
Makakoa85032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:27 PM   #17
erinbomber
in awe

Oddometer: 818
Go to the AMA district 37 website, they have all sorts of things in process to fight this. A lot of their races are held @ Johnson Valley.
erinbomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:33 PM   #18
erinbomber
in awe

Oddometer: 818
link...

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/SaveJohnsonValley?e
erinbomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:59 PM   #19
Doghouse_Riley
Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 2,019
Also check out the Partnership for Johnson Valley website for easy instructions on how to email various important people/agencies. http://www.pfjv.org/

Canis meus id comedit.
Doghouse_Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:20 PM   #20
punkenduro
now in a cage...

Oddometer: 738
im looking for a riding partner just incase anything happens, ill be out saterday and might stay the night depending on the work schedule. any in.
punkenduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:33 PM   #21
DannyG
I have the waypoint.

Oddometer: 3,350
i think the gold's will be attending
Old 12-05-2008, 12:02 AM   #22
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,525
i'll be there on sunday.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:16 AM   #23
hidesertbomber
Doin' it in the dirt!

Oddometer: 238
Everyone Needs To Get Involved!

Last night my family and I went to the Public Scoping Meeting on Proposed Marine Base Expansion and I was shock to learn that there are 6 alternatives to this proposition. 4 involve taking over Johnson Valley, one heads East and the last is "no action". Johnson Valley is screwed if we don't act! Show your support by attending one or more of these meetings filling out a Comment Sheet. They even had a court reporter there that would take dictation from you. There will be many opportunities at the FUN RIDE to get your opinion heard so if you do nothing else, show up, sign in and show you care about your riding rights.
here is an email I received ... you may have received it but it should be here too:

Attend A Public Scoping Meeting on Proposed Marine Base Expansion

Working together everyone can help save Johnson Valley. However, your participation in the public decision making process is critical. You can help save Johnson Valley by attending one of the three Twentynine Palms Marine Corps Base expansion scoping meetings. Just walking through the door of one of the meetings to ask questions and gather information sends a loud and powerful message that the future use of Johnson Valley by the public is important to you!

Meeting Dates

December 3, 2008, 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., Twentynine Palms, CA (Twentynine Palms Junior High, Hay’s Gym, 5798 Utah Trail, Twentynine Palms, CA)

December 4, 2008, 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., Victorville, CA (Hilton Garden Inn Victorville, 12603 Mariposa Road, Victorville, CA)

December 5, 2008, 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., Ontario, CA (Convention Center, 2000 E. Convention Center Way, Ontario, CA)

The Marine Corps is studying it's needs to meet the Marine Corps Expeditionary Brigade (MEB) sustained, combined arms, live-fire and maneuver training requirements. The scoping meetings are designed to solicit input from stakeholders, the affected public and agencies regarding issues or interests that should be studied or the reasonable alternatives that should be considered for the study moving forward. Each of the three scoping meetings will consist of an informal, open house session with information stations staffed by Marine Corps representatives. Public comment forms will be available and gathered at the information stations, and a stenographer will be available to take oral comments for inclusion in the record.

At this time the Marine Corps is studying five potential base expansion alternatives and a No Action Alternative. These study alternatives include:

Alternatives 1 & 4 – Add 188,000 acres West of the base and 22,000 acres South of the base. These alternatives effectively include expansion in to all of the Johnson Valley OHV-Multiple Use Area. Training movements and live-fire exercises differ between Alternative 1 and 4.

Alternative 2 – Add 122,000 acres West of the base and 22,000 acres South of the base. This alternative includes most of the Johnson Valley OHV-Multiple Use Area.

Alternative 3 – Add 228,000 acres East of the base and 22,000 acres South of the base. This alternative does not include expansion into Johnson Valley.

Alternative 5 – Add 188,000 acres West of the base only (Johnson Valley).

No Action Alternative – Marine Corps will seek no additional lands, MEB exercises would occur on existing base.

Take Action Now – Attend at least one public scoping meeting and encourage your family and friends to do the same, and pass along this information to others you think are interested in Johnson Valley’s future. Visit the Partnership For Johnson Valley at
www.pfjv.org for additional information and the latest updates.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:37 AM   #24
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefant 900 Rad
Sounds like a good event for a great cause in a great riding area (I haven't been there yet).

BRP Fun Ride to Save Johnson Valley Link

Let's get some of you ADVriders who like Johnson Valley to attend this event and show your support !!

I'm going to try to make it, maybe with some other San Diego Adventure Riders also.

United Our Voices Can be Heard
Protecting OHV access is not only important for our business and other’s like it but for the many thousands of families who share our love for OHV recreation. And with the help of District 37, ORBA and a host of others we hope you will unite with us for this cause.
I have to click the link to find out the meeting spot is in Cougar Butte. Please post some directions, coordinates, locations, etc..so that others will find it convenient and prevent others from getting lost.

Thanks elefant for leading the charge. I'm planning to come out there on Saturday.

Joel
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:05 PM   #25
hidesertbomber
Doin' it in the dirt!

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
I have to click the link to find out the meeting spot is in Cougar Butte. Please post some directions, coordinates, locations, etc..so that others will find it convenient and prevent others from getting lost.

not the dreaded "click the link"

SCHEDULE OF ACTIVITIES
The Fun Ride wouldn't be fun without riding. And with the help of several District 37 Clubs we will have various loops laid out for all types of riders and disciplines, Rock Crawler and Trials demonstrations on Saturday and raffles, live band and bonfire Saturday night to cap it off.
  • Event T-Shirts - California Casuals Sportswear will be printing Event T-shirts and donating a percentage of the proceeds to the D-37 Legal Defense Fund.
  • Live Band -TJKrue will be on hand Saturday night rocking the place with some of their original and cover tunes.
  • Food Vendors - Papa's Smokehouse BBQ will be on site all weekend serving up some of their award winning BBQ.
  • Event Photos - Photos by Grumpy Grumpy will be on hand shooting and printing photos from his traile.
  • Rhino Rentals - SoCal RV Rentals will be offering hourly Rhino Rentals all weekend. Be Sure to Sign Up early!
  • Rock Crawlers - Red Bull Rock Crawling Team will be on hand with a Rock Crawling Demonstration in the W.E. Rock Crawler (RockHer II).
  • Fasst Company - Fasst Company will be on hand Saturday offering demos of their very popular Flexx Handlebar System.
  • KTM Demo Rides - Three Brothers Racing of Orange County will have some 2009 KTM models for demo rides on Saturday. Call (949)642-0546 for details.
Tentative Schedule of Events
Saturday Events Schedule

Sunday Events Schedule

• 8:00am - Sign-Ups Open
  • 8:30am - Loops Open for Riding
  • 12:00pm - Rock Crawler Demonstration
  • TBD - Observed Trials Demonstration
  • TBD - ORBA - Letter Writing Raffle
  • TBD - Speakers & Dignitaries
  • Dusk - Product Raffle
  • Night - Live Band "TJ Krue"/Bonfire
  • 8:30am - Sign-Ups Open
  • 9:00am - Loops Open for Riding
  • TBD - Observed Trials Demonstration
  • TBD - Loops Closed
  • TBD - Event Clean-Up

DIRECTIONS

The 2nd Annual BRP Fun Ride will be held in Johnson Valley Ca. at the Cougar Buttes staging area. Cougar Buttes was chosen for it’s unique and beautiful terrain with its large rock formations and many trails leading into Johnson Valley we felt this was the perfect choice to stage the event.

Directions to Johnson Valley and the Cougar Buttes staging area
View on Google MapsGPS: N34 29.650 W116 49.526
From I-15 North
  • Exit Bear Valley Rd. East
  • Merge right onto Hwy 18
  • Continue Straight onto Hwy. 247
  • Turn Left on Camp Rock Rd.
  • Turn Right on Granite Rd.
  • Follow Arrows to destination
From I-15 South
  • Exit Hwy 18 East
  • Continue straight onto Hwy. 247
  • Turn Left on Camp Rock Rd
  • Turn Right on Granite Rd
  • Follow arrows to destination

The BRP Fun Ride

United Our Voices Can be Heard!
Old 12-08-2008, 08:23 AM   #26
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,678
I mapped a couple of the loops yesterday. Should be something for everyone.
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:11 AM   #27
Doghouse_Riley
Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 2,019
Me and the gf plan to be there Saturday morning and camp over night.

Who els is planning on camping? Maybe we can have an ADVrider outpost.

Canis meus id comedit.
Doghouse_Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:20 PM   #28
Pointman0853
Unregistered Gun Owner

Oddometer: 1,376
Thumb Weather?

We had planned on spending the night, but its looking like freezing night time weather up there this weekend...

http://www.weather.com/weather/exten...m_ite=CityPage

We're keeping our options open!

Pointman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghouse_Riley

IBA #5
CarsonTahoeAdventureMoto.com
Pointman0853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:51 PM   #29
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghouse_Riley

it will be good to see you!!!
i'll be out on sunday.

hope you come out to a sunday Church Ride soon ! ! ! i gots some new trails in my bag !!!
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:38 AM   #30
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,678
Thank you for attending our event. We hope you have a safe weekend full of great riding on the loops provided. Please ride within your abilities and be mindful of others enjoying the loop at the same time.
There are five separate loops available for your enjoyment.
·The youth loop will be approximately one mile and will be marked with pink ribbon. The loop is intended for the kids and chase/support riders only. Loop courtesy of the Rovers motorcycle club.
·The UTV/ATV loop is intended for Rhinos, Rangers, quads, etc. The loop is approximately eleven miles in length. There is a mix of whoops, sand, rocks and roads. The route is marked with white ribbon. Please heed the stop and merge signs on this loop. Patty Blais and company put this together for your pleasure.
·The RUTS motorcycle club has put together a great twelve miles that both bikes and quads can enjoy. The blue ribbon will mark the way. This loop has a variety of terrain and is a great example of a District 37 race course that will be enjoyed by beginner and expert riders alike. Please use caution when approaching marked merge sections.
·The Viewfinders motorcycle club has approximately fifteen miles of great trails marked out for you with yellow ribbon. The loop ranges from wide open desert to some very tight trail. This is a bike only loop. Quads simply will not fit (please don’t try). Difficulty level at some points in the loop will score a six out of ten. Please pay attention to any stop or merge signs.
·The 100’s motorcycle club has approximately fifteen miles of smiles in store for you. The loop heads north into the Wilson Mountains. If uphills and downhills and relentless turning are your pleasure, then suit up. The loop is marked with red ribbon. At times this loop will rate an eight out of ten for difficulty. This is also a bike only loop. The 100’s host a round in the national hare & hound series each year. You can get a taste of some national level terrain if that is what you crave.

Please keep in mind that this weekend is intended as a gathering of people with a vested interest in saving Johnson Valley. The loops you will be riding are not race courses, nor are they marked for danger when ridden at high speeds. Please, keep the speeds down and soak in some of the beauty of Johnson Valley. Please offer assistance to any riders in need and report any problems to our volunteer rescue group (Rescue 3) or the sweep riders that come by. If you break down, do not leave the marked course.
Please do not ride the loops any later than 3:00 pm on Saturday. The loops will be closed at 12:30 pm on Sunday.

These will serve as the rider's instructions for the weekend. Hope to see you there.
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote