Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2008, 12:33 PM   #46
EwliyaCelebi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Great Journey great point of view great report.
Thanks a lot.

Many Mexican riders none with helmet
EwliyaCelebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:24 PM   #47
CeeBee
The Cake Baker

Oddometer: 156
Muy bueno Trace pilot! I was looking forward to meeting you in Galeana - I'm sure we will run into each other soon!

And where do you think your going Idahosam?
CeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:24 PM   #48
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,735
Amazing pictures and report. The architecture is amazing down there. I would have had no idea. Do you have any idea how much money those doors would bring in the states?

Steve
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 03:49 PM   #49
Flying Turtle
Flying Turtle

Oddometer: 113
doors

I do not know how much, but you surely can !!
Old 11-26-2008, 04:54 PM   #50
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,139
Beautiful photography.
'10 California Scooter (my Baja Blaster!)
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:58 AM   #51
oaxatwin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc-razor
Amazing pictures and report. The architecture is amazing down there. I would have had no idea. Do you have any idea how much money those doors would bring in the states?

You can find them in Arizona and New Mexico, they are pretty expensive depending on the intricate labor.
oaxatwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 07:32 PM   #52
Uncle Pollo
Santos Vega

Oddometer: 46,189
well done senior ...

called you to wish you a feliz dia de accion de gracias ....
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:40 PM   #53
Gustavo
Motociclista Errante

Oddometer: 2,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot
Excellent Señor Navaja. In your honor I had Ruben Blades write a little song in your advrider screen name honor
Roberto, you are getting better and better at this. Very good pictures, interesting story. But one thing I don't understand...

WHY ISN'T THIS REPORT FINISHED YET!?!?

Por la esquina del viejo barrio lo vi pasar...

Just, in case you didn't listen to the whole thing, the most important part is this:
La moraleja, Pedro Navaja, es que nadie sabe pa'quien trabaja...

So get back to work. I need some new stuff to read...

Gustavo
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:59 AM   #54
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 7,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo
The most important part is this:
La moraleja, Pedro Navaja, es que nadie sabe pa'quien trabaja...

Gustavo
Tienes razon, amigo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessuno
Called you to wish you a feliz dia de accion de gracias ....
Igualmente, hermano Alejo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatling
Beautiful photography.
Its Mexico, the time of day, and just walking. Its not the camera itself. Anyone can do it. You don't need a D3!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc-razor
There is a lot of amazing down there, that's why I go all the time. The most amazing feature of Mexico, though, are her people.

PS You can bring the doors to the U.S., but somehow, it won't be the same, if you know what I mean...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBee
Muy bueno Trace pilot! I was looking forward to meeting you in Galeana - I'm sure we will run into each other soon!
I am currently overhauling, if that's the right word, an '09 KLR to get it ready for back country riding in Mexico, Big Bend, and the Texas Hill Country. Look for a matte black KLR outfitted for off-the-beaten-path voyages of discovery "Milton" style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EwliyaCelebi
Great Journey great point of view great report.
Thanks a lot. Many Mexican riders none with helmet
All those guys without a helmet were riding in San Miguel inside the city limits, so perhaps there is a comfort zone there. I never once saw anyone from anywhere riding without a helmet on the highways and byways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Turtle
Great images of San Miguel de Allende.
Please come to see more of my country and tell your friends to aim South next time.

Buen viaje !!!
I am and I have. I'll be in Mahahual in February having been through Veracruz, Tuxtla, Merida, San Cristobal, Palenque and points in and around the Sierra Madre Oriental.

I'm really curious about Oaxaca! Therefore, I'll be there in two months...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja
Bob, Those are championship photos. Absolutley outstanding. I really like the way the mass schedule is painted on the wall like that. Kind of rings of a permanence in time along with the antiquity of the town's architecture.

Mike
Mike, you are a guy who understands and appreciates the nuances of Mexico, and how wonderful it is.

Years ago I was at a resort in Cancun, and I thought I was "experiencing Mexico". How wrong I was!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgo21
great pics!!!
Gracias amigo

For an excellent overview of San Miguel, including how the city got her name, see this short video:

&nbsp
&nbsp

Now, its time to move on out and get to the rally, the Pacific Coast of Mexico, and my infamous crash!
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:22 AM   #55
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

From San Miguel to Guadalajara

Tuesday morning, San Miguel was behind and Uruapan was ahead, as a waypoint on the way to the start of the Mexico BMW Rally that was to start in Guadalajara

Stopping for gas at a Pemex, I made friends with this guy, who needs all the friends he can get:

I envisioned cutting his chain, and taking him home for a good bath and some rehabilitation. This photo was taken in front of a machine shop, so perhaps he was being kept as a guard dog. I'll never know.

Morelia:

What a cosmopolitan city!

It may not have the same vibe as a San Miguel or a Guanajuato - but this place was hopping with culture, seemed very hip, and had a lot of college students

My GS on the main drag in Morelia. Little did she know that the left pannier would be crushed and most of the goodies on the left side would be ground as if with a belt grinder 3 days later:

Jim's GS in Morelia...

Jim had been in the Sierra Madre shortly before this trip, and, with his wife onboard, laid it down in the mountains. Two GS Adventures, two trips, two crashes...wear your gear!

Don't worry about parking when you visit most Mexican cities. Just pull over, and back your bikes into the curb like this. Have lunch at a curb-side cafe, right next to your bike, and relax!

Hap's RT:

There are tons of college students in Morelia...I was helping Patrick put some Mexico stickers on his BMW and had about .00001th of a second to take this photo:

Patrick had previous taken a mega-thousand mile trip to Canada, and was in the middle of loving his first trip by moto into Mexico, so he had to have the sticker for the pannier:

His other sticker is from the trip to Iran with Motodiscovery. He shipped the bike to Turkey and rode into Iran with a bunch of intrepid adventurers.

Here is where you might want to stay in Uruapan:

Just follow the appropriate sign...

Always check fluid levels immedialely upon shutting the bike off after a long day in the saddle!:

We called for a taxi to take us into Uruapan to get something for dinner.

After "adjusting fluid levels" its standard policy that the bikes are put away for the night. When I travel by motorcycle I don't touch a drop when I ride. In Mexico, each evening, it can be

but there is a mile between that and the motorcycle.

The taxi driver talked us into just taking a brief look at Uruapan's centro, and having dinner about 30 minutes away in San Juan Nuevo.

In downtown Uruapan, he showed up what has to be the narrowest home in all of Mexico:

It started to get dark, and it started to rain, and we left for San Juan Nuevo...arriving to be greeted by the official welcome party:

Not too terribly interested in something pre-packaged to eat:

And our taxista's recommended being closed, we spied some street-side vendors:

Some may say, "I'd never eat food from a street vendor in Mexico"

To them I'd say, you need to read Anthony Bordain's "Kitchen Confidential" about restuarants in the U.S.

I have never been anything but pleased with everything I've eaten in Mexico.

After about an hour, and right on cue, our taxista pulls up to the curb, and we jump in for the ride back to Uruapan.

Back at the hotel, there was only one way to heat the room at night:

The next morning, it was time to get up and wipe the dew off the seat, organize everything brought into the room, walk up the hill to pay the bill, and take some final pics before clutching out...

BTW: "Clutch Out at 8" means all the tasks I've mentioned are done, and everybody in the posse is ready to roll.

This small group was excellent at keeping to the departure time.

I hope your group never has "that guy" who can't seem to mesh gears with others.

The old kindergarten evaluation "plays well with others" should be considered when building your posse for long rides in foreign countries. So far I've been blessed.

Not sure why I like Roger's bike so much:

Roger must be happy too, as he always is in a good mood:

He also owns a KLR, and is the fourth of fifth BMW rider who has a beemer and a KLR for the rough stuff.

It was a great day ride to Guadalajara...

We chatted up these brick guys taking a break:

The region in this part of Mexico is known for the perfect clays to make brick:

Just be sure that when following truck loads of this and other things loaded on camiones, that you keep your distance. There is nothing to keep these guys from flying off that truck!

Big Jim and the brick guys:

We let the other guys run ahead, and Hank and I stopped to grab our cameras out of the bags to take some photos in a small village:

As we got to the outskirts of Guadalajara, we spotted a Rally official, with a bright yellow vest, and stopped to chat.

Shortly, motorcycles from all over began to converge.

Its funny when people you've met in person or online via advrider or twtex pull up, take off their helmets, and you realize who they are...

Hardy:

Hal:

The bikes began to stack up for the ride into Guadalajara:

...and the infamous Mexico BMW Rally

What a strange few days this was going to be!
Old 12-02-2008, 11:07 AM   #56
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 26,858
Lobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:27 PM   #57
JillGat
tierra encantada

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
(2) Definitely Definitely Definitely have a "typical" highway map of Mexico in a visible tank bag or map holder. Something that you don't have to get out at a highway intersection.
There are often forks in the road in Mexico with no signs. If there is a sign, it may point not to the obvious destination on that route, but to a miniscule town that is not even on the map.

Coming north from Asencion, I looked for the turn-off to the border town of Palomas. No sign. There is a short stretch of road with shacks at that T in the road, which I remembered. At the entrance to this "town" is a "tope" (speed bump) with an accompanying guy with cooler of drinks to sell to people when they slow down for the bump. It had been pouring rain when I came down this way four days earlier, so nothing looked familiar. "Cual direccion a Palomas?" I asked him. Go straight and then turn left, he says. So I pass him slowly and find myself at the tope at the end of the shacks next to the other guy selling drinks. He says, you missed it. Go back and turn right. I do a U turn and miss it again. Pretty soon all the guys (why is it always all guys?) in town are jumping up and down and screaming and pointing at the road where I turn. They laughed and cheered when I finally made the turn.
JillGat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:00 PM   #58
VampyreMP
Frustrated Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Stunning

Absolutely stunning photography! It helps to remind me why I respect and love Mexico so much. Thanks for taking the time to do this post.
VampyreMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:11 PM   #59
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby
Leo, vamos a almorzar - 'stoy de prisa a compartir algo contigo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillGat
There are often forks in the road in Mexico with no signs. If there is a sign, it may point not to the obvious destination on that route, but to a miniscule town that is not even on the map.

.... They laughed and cheered when I finally made the turn.
You, my friend, are a true adventurer.

It doesn't have to be mapped out or guided. You will get there, eventually. Often, with a story to tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampyreMP
Absolutely stunning photography! It helps to remind me why I respect and love Mexico so much. Thanks for taking the time to do this post.
You posted two word so appropriate: LOVE and RESPECT for Mexico.

Probably material for another thread, but I firmly believe that international travel, especially for Americans, involves a certain sense of travel with humililty and respect for other cultures.

We don't have the market cornered on culture or progress. The fat, blubberly tourist that gets off the airplane or the cruise ship and then complains that his/her burger isn't cooked like they like it in Cincinnati needs to be shrunk wrapped and mailed home via express burro.

Now, let's get to the Grand Party in Guadalajara and Puerto Vallarta, over 700 motorcycles, lots of fruit of the agave, many new (and old) friends, the crash at Mascota, and the lovely Pacific Coast of Mexico...

Old 12-03-2008, 10:07 PM   #60
Trailblazer
no cualquier gringo

Oddometer: 246
Tricepilot, you kill me.

Quote:

When are we gonna get to the crash?
Quote:
Look for a matte black KLR outfitted for off-the-beaten-path voyages of discovery "Milton" style.
Waitin’ on you, Roberto.

Quote:
BTW: "Clutch Out at 8" means all the tasks I've mentioned are done, and everybody in the posse is ready to roll.

This small group was excellent at keeping to the departure time.

I hope your group never has "that guy" who can't seem to mesh gears with others.
Oops. Hope that doesn’t mean I’m disqualified.
Trailblazer is offline   Reply With Quote