Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2008, 09:57 PM   #76
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,584
amigo you are killing me, ok I will let you be, BUT WE ALL WANT TO KNOW MORE, and 100000 of more pics

Damasovi
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 03:31 AM   #77
Trailblazer
no cualquier gringo

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot

The docs say that I have an "avulsion fracture" of the left ankle and that I should be in an "air cast".
avulsion fracture - a fracture occurring when a joint capsule, ligament, tendon, or muscle is pulled from (yanked from) a bone, taking with it a fragment of the bone to which it was attached.

So, most destructed to least =
1) Boots
2) Gloves
3) Helmet
4) Jacket
5) Pants
?
Old 12-06-2008, 04:39 AM   #78
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,523
Bob,

That is great feedback on your gear!

Mike

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 05:55 AM   #79
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,444
Thumb

Too bad about the crash. Hope the ankle gets healed up quick.

Thanks for sharing all the amazing pictures!!
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:27 AM   #80
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,181
Hi!

Thanks for the report and glad you are OK from the get off! Did you have mexican insurance? If so, any problems with your claim? Thanks again!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:56 PM   #81
Gustavo
Motociclista Errante

Oddometer: 2,260
Damn, that's a nice looking ankle...

Glad to hear it wasn't bad enough to stop you from continuing the trip. Andele, mas, mas...

Gustavo

Gustavo screwed with this post 12-06-2008 at 08:18 PM
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:10 PM   #82
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by caretaker
Glad to read that you carry on. A fantastic report and I'm green with envy. It was Zero Degrees F. here this AM!!

Thanks, Paul
Well Paul you should read some of Dan (Dtop1) and Gustavo's ride reports with a good cup of coffee - that will warm you up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi
amigo you are killing me, ok I will let you be, BUT WE ALL WANT TO KNOW MORE, and 100000 of more pics

Damasovi
Damasovi, I have some nice shots in Patzcuaro coming right up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailblazer
avulsion fracture - a fracture occurring when a joint capsule, ligament, tendon, or muscle is pulled from (yanked from) a bone, taking with it a fragment of the bone to which it was attached.
You are correct Dr. Milton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja
Bob, That is great feedback on your gear! Mike
Mike how about one of those exoskeleton things like that guy had in Guadalajara? Maybe not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T.
Too bad about the crash. Hope the ankle gets healed up quick.

Thanks for sharing all the amazing pictures!!
The ankle only really starts to hurt when my wife presents a honey-do list

I think the trick is to keep a camera handy in your jacket or tank bag and be ready to take hundreds if not thousands of pics, and sift through them. I took 1,700 plus photos. Not all of them have to be National Geographic quality, but if you remember, the tip from the ride report from the guy in Alaska is to try to capture photos in the best light - early morning and later in the afternoon. That's why the San Miguel de Allende photos came out so nice (in my opinon!) - they were taken at the right time of day, using manual settings. Remember, number of megapixels or cost of the camera do not matter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie
Hi!

Thanks for the report and glad you are OK from the get off! Did you have mexican insurance? If so, any problems with your claim? Thanks again!
Señor Donnie

Here is the down-low on insurance:

Yes, I had Mexican insurance. I purchased it online at the same time I was online planning the trip and getting the import permit online from Banjercito.

But, I had Mexican insurance only so far as liability is concerned. It is not mandatory for travel in Mexico, but no sane person would cross the border without it. If you get into an accident involving another person, you can be held until guilt is determined. Having a liability policy will ease your mind and potentially save you from major grief.

Do not enter Mexico without at least liability

On my previous trips, I had carried liability AND collision but didn't need it, then. So as I was deciding what to carry on THIS trip I rolled the dice (and obviously lost) and didn't take it.

The repair cost just under $3,000 which I ate out-of-pocket.

Next time, which looks like 8 weeks from now, I'll go back to carrying both liability AND comprehensive.

Other Insurance: Medically I am covered by a private carrier but I also have Med Jet Assist, which I highly recommend. If the mishap had turned out such that I couldn't ride and the bike was toast, I would have flown home from Puerto Vallarta and Med Jet would have arranged to ship the bike back. Med Jet only does that from Canada, the U.S. and Mexico, for an additional $25 per year - cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo
Damn, that's a nice looking ankle...

Glad to hear it wasn't bad enough to stop you from continuing the trip. Andele, mas, mas...

Gustavo

Si Señor I will do just that

TAXI BY THE HOUR

Any town in Mexico with taxis is a place you can use this tip.

After the bike was fixed, I found myself back at the hotel with a desire to see some of the downtown sights. So instead of asking what it would cost to this place, that place etc., I just asked the guy what he would charge by the hour to drive me around, and wait while I jumped out and walked around. He gets a good fare and you get a dedicated driver PLUS you can ask the driver to take you to things you should definitely not miss.

So I hop in the cab and do just that.

Here is Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor's house:

Burton came to Pto. Vallarta to film "The Night of the Iguana" and bought this place, called "Casa Kimberley". They lived in the place from '63 to '74, or so said the taxista, who seemed to be up on the facts. He said that before "The Night of the Iguana" and the Burtons, the Pto. V. was a forgotten little sea side fishing village, but after the movie, it got on the map.

I spliced in some video from the rally. Can you tell which scenes are from the movie and which are from the trip?

&nbsp
&nbsp

It's most distinctive feature is that bridge across the road, where I assume Ms. Taylor would kick Rich out and send him to the "dog house". The bridge is supposed to be a replica of Venice's Rialto Bridge, if you've ever seen it.

Richard's pad had it's own kitchen and other amenities. My version is an actual dog house

As I've mentioned, I'm not Catholic, but I always like going to the churches in every Mexican town I visit:

When I go into these churches, I always shoot without flash and without any noise cues from the camera, such as those annoying fake shutter clicks.

Often, I also shoot in stealth mode, which means I don't put the camera to my face but hold it on the side and press the shutter constantly. I know I'll dump most of them later, but the technique comes in handy if you don't want to disturb or offend your photo subjects.

I was going to include an example shot of a guy, grief-stricken and prostrate, crying and petitioning before the alter, but out of respect I decided to leave it out of this series.

The quiet restaurant, beach-side, of the cozy Buenaventura:

The back side of the Sheraton, where everybody else was staying:

Rustic/touristy Puerto Vallarta, on the Bahia de Banderas...

You have no idea how humid it was in Puerto Vallarta. The taxi guy I hired didn't have A/C, which I should have asked about before I hired him.

He took me to Wal-Mart so I could buy a rubber malet to pound the left side pannier back into somewhat useable shape, and I nearly melted from being somewhat ill, the heat, the humidity and everything else.

Sunday Morning:

A shot of the motorcycle, bars removed and windscreen covered, moments before firing up and moving out with our small patrol:

Very early on in the planning stages had thought about riding north out of Puerto Vallarta towards Galeana, but grabbed the chance to ride south instead to explore a part of Mexico I had not been to.

We would be riding Mexico 200, the same highway traveled by Ozymandias - Clayton Schwartz - and I thought about the OZ-man all the time as we hugged the coast. RIP Ozy - this leg was for you.

tricepilot screwed with this post 12-06-2008 at 09:50 PM
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:21 PM   #83
Trailblazer
no cualquier gringo

Oddometer: 246
Ok. What happened to this tread? Is that it? Let's bend the forks back straight, duct tape the boot (with ankle inserted), pop a vicodin and .........
showtime!
Old 12-09-2008, 12:46 PM   #84
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailblazer
Let's bend the forks back straight, duct tape the boot (with ankle inserted), pop a vicodin and .........
showtime!

OK Milton I always thought I'd have to be crazy to take narcotics and ride a motorcycle, but I was tempted! No, I didn't do it, but it would have made the trip more comfortable.

So, I rode on out of Pto. Vallarta at about the 60% feel-good level, and for some reason sweated my butt off the next few days. I mean as in buckets of sweat, not just due to the humidity. We stopped for gas down the road and Hap asked me if I wanted to lie down for, like, a month or two.

Right after departing Pto. Vallarta - and I mean within the hour, we ran into the oddest checkpoint I've ever seen, and began to see dozens of donkeys.

Let me sort those photos and I'll post them pronto

Bob
Old 12-09-2008, 02:42 PM   #85
VampyreMP
Frustrated Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Cankle

Now that's a cankle! Good to know you're all right. Or should I say healthy.
Thanks for the gloves report. I own the same pair and I love em'! The most comfortable glove ever. The fit like a, well, like a glove! Wore them for 8 weeks through Mexico and ever since.
VampyreMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:06 PM   #86
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampyreMP
Thanks for the gloves report. I own the same pair and I love em'! The most comfortable glove ever. The fit like a, well, like a glove! Wore them for 8 weeks through Mexico and ever since.
Well I'm glad you posted this up, and I can't remember what the brand was or even where I bought them - if you do please tell me because you are correct, they were/are the most comfortable gloves I've ever used. I'd still wear them, but what if I repeat the same maneuver this time with no knuckle protection on the hand

If I haven't mentioned it, I enjoy talking about ruined motorcycle gear more than I do bent, torn, or broken bones and flesh!
Old 12-09-2008, 03:21 PM   #87
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Whats in Your IPOD?

I wish YouTube had an olfactory feature, whereby you could share the smells of food cooking in a road side stand, or the pine scented air along the Espinazo, things like that.

But I can share the song that I dialed up as wheels rolled down the first miles of twisties on MX 200.

Don't know about you, but I have periods of total silence in the helmet, and others when I crank up the tunes. I use an IPOD as well as the XM/MP3 off of the Zumo.

Here is the tune, one of my favorite CS&N ballads of all time...

&ampnbsp
&ampnbsp

Got out of town on a boat
Goin' to Southern islands.
Sailing a reach
Before a followin' sea.
She was makin' for the trades
On the outside,
And the downhill run
To Papeete.

Off the wind on this heading
Lie the Marquesas.
We got eighty feet of the waterline.
Nicely making way.
In a noisy bar in Avalon
I tried to call you.
But on a midnight watch I realized
Why twice you ran away.

Chorus
Think about how many times
I have fallen
Spirits are using me
larger voices callin'.
What heaven brought you and me
Cannot be forgotten.
I have been around the world,
Lookin' for that woman/girl,
Who knows love can endure.
And you know it will.
And you know it will.

When you see the Southern Cross
For the first time
You understand now
Why you came this way
'Cause the truth you might be runnin' from
Is so small.
But it's as big as the promise
The promise of a comin' day.

So I'm sailing for tomorrow
My dreams are a dyin'.
And my love is an anchor tied to you
Tied with a silver chain.
I have my ship
And all her flags are a flyin'
She is all that I have left
And music is her name.

Chorus
Think about how many times
I have fallen
Spirits are using me
larger voices callin'.
What heaven brought you and me
Cannot be forgotten.
I have been around the world,
Lookin' for that woman/girl,
Who knows love can endure.
And you know it will.
And you know it will.

So we cheated and we lied
And we tested
And we never failed to fail
It was the easiest thing to do.
You will survive being bested.
Somebody fine
Will come along
Make me forget about loving you.
At the Southern Cross.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:34 PM   #88
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Pinche Gringos get Pinched

Buzzing along MX 200, our small band of vaqueros were smoothly gliding in and out of the twisties, having a fine time.

We gassed up, and were soon joined and passed by four other guys, I think from the BMW rally, who were also headed south on MX 200.

These guys were a bit faster and/or wanted to make better time, so in no time at all, they were a bit on ahead.

Hank and I think Hap were ahead of me, and as I round a bend I see the four faster guys and Hank and Hap pulled over at an Army check point.

Cones in the road, and a guy with that little tiny flag on the end of the stick. Some of you know the drill.

The rest of our small posse pulls in behind me, so there are about 10 of us lined up 2 X 2 on the right side of the road, pointed south.

Then something I've NEVER seen before...

There are guys with automatics, one guy on a .50 cal, a hummer, two trucks, everybody looking very officious and very military. But nothing I've not seen before.

Then the head honcho and two of his deputies line up, and the head guy pulls out what only can be described as a divining rod, or something he was trying to make look like an electronic antennae. He lines himself up next to the first pair of bikes, holds the rod horizontal to the ground, pointed straight out, and then he and the pair MARCH along the motorcycles to the end of the line.

Now, I'm in my helmet with my visor up, but I have my sunglasses on.

I'm trying to make eye contact with anyone with a signal like "what the hell lis going on?", but nobody is paying any attention to anyone but the commandant.

At the end of the strilng of motorcycles, he practicially about-faces and marches back up to the head of the group of bikes, turns around officiously again, and dismisses us all

If anyone has seen this, please post up and explain if you have an idea of what the guy was up to .

I have been searched tons of times, questioned, waived through, all of it, but this was THE most entertaining checkpoint I have ever been in.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:44 PM   #89
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Steve and the Three Teas Tour

We fire up and away from the checkpoint, and buzz along a fine Mexican morning along MX 200.

Hank and I are 1-2 now, and most of our small outfit is split up, so Hank and I pull over to wait for the others.

Shortly, this guy pulls up and flips up his visor.

It's Steve from the U.K., and he's on his way to South America:

That story in a moment...
Old 12-09-2008, 03:48 PM   #90
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,300
what a tease!