Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 863 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 09-03-2011, 09:17 PM   #19936
Mike at Tank Vest
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
I guess I can play in here...

A friend with the NFAgasm smile after shooting the MG42...

My .338 Lapua Magnum on a Stiller action that I built...

Our Bren Mk II...

Me, my suppressed M40 and the unlucky buck that took a bullet at 275 yards....

Mk II STEN and a Mk IV Sterling...

And my favorite little buzz gun in the collection...

2006 KLR 650, 1988 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200, 1980 KLX 250
www.tankvest.com
Mike at Tank Vest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:46 PM   #19937
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,936
The Tactical Solutions upper, with AAC Pilot and Burris Fastfire. Upper will go on an STI frame, if it ever gets here, and the sight will be to a TNVC Micro. This is the new grouse getter.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:22 AM   #19938
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Hey Mike with the machine guns, I have a question for you. How hard is it to get the parts for those old subguns? I guess I am curious because I imagine you spent a pretty penny on them. If it was me, I would almost be afraid of shooting them much for fear of wearing the out (that may just be me though).

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:45 AM   #19939
Mike at Tank Vest
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Not hard at all. Parts kits are abundant and really inexpensive. The guns you see pictured are post samples so if I blow one up, I'll just build another. I'm a licensed FFL/SOT manufacturer.

Mike

2006 KLR 650, 1988 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200, 1980 KLX 250
www.tankvest.com
Mike at Tank Vest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:48 AM   #19940
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike at Tank Vest View Post
Not hard at all. Parts kits are abundant and really inexpensive. The guns you see pictured are post samples so if I blow one up, I'll just build another. I'm a licensed FFL/SOT manufacturer.

Mike
Oh okay that's good then. How about something like an NFA full-auto M16, is there any wear on the sear parts that make it a full auto? I imagine anything besides that sear is pretty easy to get ahold of.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:47 AM   #19941
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter View Post
Yeah, I just don't have any faith that a pair o reasonably well placed 95 grain hp's will stop a determined threat. (and yes, I know that 9mm isn't the be-all/end-all in ballistics but it's half again heavier and delivers twice the energy.)
Yeah.

The range where I took my class to get my CCW has a black binder clip used to clip targets to the cardboard backing that stopped a .380 round.

They did not recommend a .380 for personal protection. 9mm being the minimum and any caliber starting with a "4".

Since you can get 9mm and .40 cals in packages as small as the .380, why would you risk it?

The instructors actually didn't recommend compacts, anyway. They recommended getting a good holster and using full-sized pistols.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #19942
bigsnowdog
Sylvan Dweller

Oddometer: 18,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
Yeah.

The range where I took my class to get my CCW has a black binder clip used to clip targets to the cardboard backing that stopped a .380 round.

They did not recommend a .380 for personal protection. 9mm being the minimum and any caliber starting with a "4".

Since you can get 9mm and .40 cals in packages as small as the .380, why would you risk it?

The instructors actually didn't recommend compacts, anyway. They recommended getting a good holster and using full-sized pistols.
For some people, .380 is all they own. I have yet to find any critic of .380 volunteer to be shot with that caliber.

NRA life

"It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on."
Marilyn Monroe

bigsnowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:52 AM   #19943
Xeraux
Archvillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnowdog View Post
For some people, .380 is all they own. I have yet to find any critic of .380 volunteer to be shot with that caliber.

Okay, but given a choice between getting shot with a 9mm, .40 cal, .45 ACP, or a .380, I'll take the .380.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:56 AM   #19944
bigsnowdog
Sylvan Dweller

Oddometer: 18,908
Quote:
Okay, but given a choice between getting shot with a 9mm, .40 cal, .45 ACP, or a .380, I'll take the .380.
Good luck to you.

NRA life

"It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on."
Marilyn Monroe

bigsnowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:58 AM   #19945
Xeraux
Archvillain

Quote:
Good luck to you.

Oh, was not getting shot a choice? Because I'll take that one every time.

However, given the solitary choice of getting shot with one of those calibers, I'll take my chances with the most anemic.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:45 AM   #19946
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,714
Gsg 1911

Bought myself a birthday present. I had been wanting to get either a .22lr conversion kit for my 1911 or buy one of the GSG 1911. Yesterday I visited a gun store and they had the GSG1911 so I took it home with me. Based on the reviews that I have read plus the fact that it was cheaper than the conversion kits I've seen made the purchase a no brainer. The price was $310 for those that are curious.

Yesterday my son and I went to the range and put a 100 rounds through the gun. The GSG hates with a passion Remington bulk .22lr ammo. No fault on the guns part. :-) I had purchased the Remington ammo at the time because that's all I could find and it turns out it's just junk. Neither of my Ruger's will shoot the stuff. Luckily I had some bulk Federal with me and once loaded the gun ran beautifully. Seems like a pretty good shooter as well, but I'll hold off final judgement until I get at least 500 rounds through it.

Cleaning it was a little different as it through me for a loop. Being a 1911 style I started to disassemble it without looking at the manual since the bushing and slide release came out just like on a real 1911. Imagine my surprise when the slide wouldn't come off after the partial disassembly. Quickly pulled out the manual and correctly disassembled the gun for cleaning. Much better than my Ruger 22/45.

Great plinker, great training replacement for a full size 1911, and a great value in my opinion.
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:08 PM   #19947
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,243
Quote:
all i own is a tacoma, and it will pull a two horse trailer, but that doesnt make it the 'best' choice for that job.

we should probably not devolve into a caliber debate here though. I already said I own and will continue to occasionally resort to .380, Its a viable tool if you cant carry bigger. There is no 40 option as small as the new breed of 380's.

lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:11 PM   #19948
S.t.t.G.
Mind over metal...

Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
However, given the solitary choice of getting shot with one of those calibers, I'll take my chances with the most anemic.
Yabbut they get to choose where it's going.....
S.t.t.G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:36 PM   #19949
fxstbiluigi
crash test dummy

Oddometer: 11,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter View Post
all i own is a tacoma, and it will pull a two horse trailer, but that doesnt make it the 'best' choice for that job.

we should probably not devolve into a caliber debate here though. I already said I own and will continue to occasionally resort to .380, Its a viable tool if you cant carry bigger. There is no 40 option as small as the new breed of 380's.

Why can't you carry anything bigger than a .380?

"Politicians are always interested in people.
Not that this is always a virtue.
Fleas are interested in dogs." -P.J.O'Rourke
fxstbiluigi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #19950
S.t.t.G.
Mind over metal...

Oddometer: 1,675
Didn't Kahr make a micro version of the K9/K40 pistola? Didn't wanna google......
S.t.t.G. is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: