Old 09-12-2011, 07:50 PM   #20146
S.t.t.G.
Mind over metal...

Oddometer: 1,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRat View Post
there is only one break-top revolver.

I think I'd go with one of these....with a can

M1895 Nagant. It too has a "quirk"......

S.t.t.G. screwed with this post 09-12-2011 at 08:14 PM Reason: not enough "oo"
S.t.t.G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:56 PM   #20147
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
EvilGenius, mine is the 5". Now that I think of it, I've not seen a 7" before. I remember the S&W replicas made circa Y2K, those were gorgeous and also 7", but chambered only in the original 45 Schofield. I guess my posted picture doesn't show the end of the barrel. Here's one that does:

Edit/PS: 45 Colt is expensive to shoot unless, as with most center-fire calibers, you handload, in which case it's not much more than any other caliber. At a gunshow last spring I bought 1000 hardcast lead SWC/Keith style bullets from a nearby manufacturer quite inexpensively, I believe I paid around $80 for the box.....practically got a hernia, though, lugging the thing to my car! That works out to .08 each, add another .03 each for primer and powder, and if you have the brass it's not expensive at all. I find it hard to believe the number of avid shooters who don't handload, they must be feelthy rich is all I can say!!!
Besides my earlier post, what's nice about hand loading is you can load "lighter", for range/fun shooting. You don't need "max" loads to enjoy these big bore calibers. Easier on the gun and just as fun. Even with less than "max loads", they can still pack a pretty darn good "wallop".

The Schofield is on my short list. One cool revolver (on many levels), IMO.
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:58 PM   #20148
monkeyfez
Enabler....

Oddometer: 5,016
can anyone tell me about arisaka actions? I found a really groovy little rifle over the weekend and it's got me thinking. It's a 300 savage.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:13 PM   #20149
S.t.t.G.
Mind over metal...

Oddometer: 1,528
P.O. Ackley tested them after the 2nd world war and found them to be as strong as if not stronger than any other made.
S.t.t.G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:05 PM   #20150
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,725
That's not my video gawddammit!

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:17 AM   #20151
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by xring04 View Post
I have two Rough Riders and they both have been excellent shooters.

Sure, they are not finished as nice as a Single Six, but for around half the cost, they don't have to be.

10 yard target 24 rounds.

My other one is a shorter barreled birds head, .22lr mag combo, sadly I don't have any pictures.
1911fan i assume that was a response to my post if so thanks

we cant go hunting with them here so its only a "target" shooting toy i kind of like the 9" barrel and adjustable sights

and as they are only $300 AUD i'm all for one

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:13 AM   #20152
MZcountryboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,448
I'm shopping for a .223 varmint rifle - any suggestions? - fire away.

MZcountryboy screwed with this post 09-13-2011 at 04:24 AM
MZcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:40 AM   #20153
Mike at Tank Vest
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZcountryboy View Post
Ruger M77 .223 is not a bad gun. I've actually got one in inventory that is for sale. Solid little rifles and decent accuracy for what they are. The one here has had some trigger work done on it. If I didn't have enough guns in my collection, it'd be going there. LOL

2006 KLR 650, 1988 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200, 1980 KLX 250
www.tankvest.com
Mike at Tank Vest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:56 AM   #20154
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Bobby can CCW a SAA and no one on the planet can bet him to the punch.

I got to see him last summer here in Kansas City, I have also seen Tom Knapp. Knapp fired live ammo...the coolest shot he did was with a golf ball and a .22....sometimes I hook the ball....sometimes I slice the ball....sometimes I drive it right down the fairway.....he was tossing the golf ball then shooting it in the air.

Munden had not done a show in two years and was pretty rusty....well this was his second show IIRC. He had been off because of diabetes, and had lost all of the toes on both of his feet. His wife was actually faster then he was that day, but wow what a guy...both of them are the most real down to earth people in "show business" that I have ever met....and I have come across a few.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:03 AM   #20155
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeal View Post

Two things I never seen mentioned on any of the shows that I've seen him on. 1) Does he do his own reloads or does Remington/Winchester or some other company provide his ammo? 2) Is Bob his own gunsmith?
I do know you can send your single action to bob and get a trigger job done for (IIRC) ~$300. If you want a fast draw gun done up by him you have to contact him directly. At the show I was at he had several examples of his work and would even take the people that where at the show (it was at a SASS event) and then ship the gun back to the owner saving the owner shipping one way. The actions where like glass, he and his wife are sitting at the table and a line of people where up looking at his different single actions...some colt others by different makers, he would do work on all of them....even black powder guns for the SASS people that liked old smokey....It made me want to buy a single action just to send to him to have him work on....he wax tossing Randy Travis's name out quite a bit saying if you ever see him ask to see some of his guns that bob had worked on.

One guy did ask if he did his own reloads and he said he reloads some of his ammo, others is factory it just depends on what he is doing that day...but on average he says he shoots about 2000 rounds per day when he is not out on tour at the show I was at he said he did not like "cowboy loads" calling them phony. If he was not shooting was bullets he shot "full power" loads in all his show and for all his trick shots.

FPGT72 screwed with this post 09-13-2011 at 05:11 AM Reason: I cant spel
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:49 AM   #20156
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
... I have also seen Tom Knapp. Knapp fired live ammo...the coolest shot he did was with a golf ball and a .22....sometimes I hook the ball....sometimes I slice the ball....sometimes I drive it right down the fairway.....he was tossing the golf ball then shooting it in the air...
I saw Knapp Saturday. That bit you describe was one of the most impressive. Since it was overcast, it was hard for him hit the aspirins, though. The guy is amazing.
tslewisz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:52 AM   #20157
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,333
Quote:
My Savage model 12FVSS in .223 is my favorite "shoot all day" varmint gun.
tslewisz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:45 AM   #20158
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 5,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
If you shoot enough to know what you're doing and have plenty of practice with one. I don't see why CCWing one would be such a big deal.
It's just an odd thing to see. Also, it was an "old model" Vaquero. Those babies are beefy!

Here is a bulletin for those of you with Gen 4 Glocks, or thinking of getting a Gen 4 Glock. The locking blocks, striker, ejector and guide rod are prone to failure (they've gone MIM on us). Glock issued an "update" for the recoil spring/guide rod assembly last week. We've already seen and sent back three for the locking block having cracked and the ejectors are prone to toss brass wildly and so far there is no cure other than swapping them out with previous generation types.
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:02 AM   #20159
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,732
Quote:
Jeebus man, there are a lot of choices available, every company that makes bolt-action rifles, or semi-autos or pumps or single-shots for that matter, makes at least one and possibly many 223s in "varmint" configuration, or a version that would be suitable for varmint shooting. Since the 223 is considered a 200-300 yard varmint rifle (even though High Power shooters have proven it can shoot accurately much further), you probably don't want nor need a massive heavy barreled job with a 30X scope that costs as much as a good bike.

The Ruger and Savage suggestions already made are good ones. I have a Remington 700VTR in 223, it's a decent little rifle, not heavy, accurate, reasonably priced. Have fun shopping!!

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:08 AM   #20160
MZcountryboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
Jeebus man, there are a lot of choices available, you probably don't want nor need a massive heavy barreled job with a 30X scope that costs as much as a good bike.

The Ruger and Savage suggestions already made are good ones. I have a Remington 700VTR in 223, it's a decent little rifle, not heavy, accurate, reasonably priced. Have fun shopping!!
I have some skunks that I am up against, not looking for an ar15 style gun. Scope would be nice though.

I'm headed out today to see what is out there in the local shops. I needed a shove in some general direction. I'm a winchester man, but open to anything.
MZcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: