Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 850 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 06:09 AM   #20731
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatling View Post
Reloading really is a great part of the fun for me. It used to be that it saved a lot of money...
I am just getting into reloading....mounted my press to the bench last week. I am getting into it because of all the strange stuff that I have. 7,5 french 7.7 jap, 30-40 krag....bla bla bla. That stuff is spendy. Even feeding my M1 carbine (the most fun gun in the world) is pretty expensive. I am thinking that I doubt that I will save any money, I figure anything that I save will be spent on powder, primers....so I can shoot more.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:09 AM   #20732
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I am just getting into reloading....mounted my press to the bench last week. I am getting into it because of all the strange stuff that I have. 7,5 french 7.7 jap, 30-40 krag....bla bla bla. That stuff is spendy. Even feeding my M1 carbine (the most fun gun in the world) is pretty expensive. I am thinking that I doubt that I will save any money, I figure anything that I save will be spent on powder, primers....so I can shoot more.
That's usually the way of it. Most people end up spending more when they handload, but they get to shoot a whole lot more. Per round cost savings can be pretty impressive depending on the cartridge, however, with the odd-balls and big boomers being where the most money can be saved. There were some calculations/examples on the "economics of ammo reloading" thread that was going on here a while back. I shoot a fair amount of 500 S&W Magnum, among other calibers, and save several dollars per pull of the trigger with that one. I find that the savings are fairly modest with calibers like 9x19 and 223, but can still be significant.

Ask Sniper what the ammo for his 338 Lapua costs. If he handloaded I'm betting he'd save $4 per shot.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:15 AM   #20733
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
I save about 14 cents a round reloading my cheap 38 Specials. That's not a ton but in another 500 rounds or so I think it will have paid for my modest set-up. If I'm loading 357 though, I can save close to a dollar per round I think (I haven't done a ton of that yet though)

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:41 AM   #20734
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
SP101 in .22 How much were they asking for that gun?
$599 if my memory serves me.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:58 AM   #20735
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
I save about 14 cents a round reloading my cheap 38 Specials. That's not a ton but in another 500 rounds or so I think it will have paid for my modest set-up. If I'm loading 357 though, I can save close to a dollar per round I think (I haven't done a ton of that yet though)
How much per round?

I bought a 50rd box of .38spl a few weeks back for $11.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:08 AM   #20736
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,687
The last box (that I could find) of 30-40 Krag was IIRC $40...that is $2 per shot....that is getting too expensive to punch holes in paper for me.

My problme is that I love shooting that old stuff, and when anyone comes over I always get a can I shoot that (X) it is soo cool.

Just learning the stuff now, but I find it kinda cool that I can use .311 bullets for a couple different things....I think this is going to be fun.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:13 AM   #20737
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
How much per round?

Wow, $11 for 38? Was it new manufacture, or reloaded stuff? About the cheapest I've seen new manufactured 38 in the past couple years has been in the $15 neighborhood.

As for 357, I notice a huge variability in prices. I guess that's true of many calibers. So-called "premium" or self-defense loads cost a pantload. Lots of those use fancy-ass proprietary bullets that aren't typically available to the man-on-the-street handloader. But a point that El Guero might be leading to is that it really doesn't cost any more to handload 357 than it does 38. The biggest variable is the bullet. My favorite 357 load is a 180 grain hard-cast gas-check SWC bullet over a near max (but not quite) charge of 296 and a magnum primer. Pretty inexpensive and a very accurate and fairly impressive load, out of either a handgun or a Marlin 94. I've even shot those out of the 340PD. Ouch.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #20738
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
The last box (that I could find) of 30-40 Krag was IIRC $40...that is $2 per shot....that is getting too expensive to punch holes in paper for me.

My problme is that I love shooting that old stuff, and when anyone comes over I always get a can I shoot that (X) it is soo cool.

Just learning the stuff now, but I find it kinda cool that I can use .311 bullets for a couple different things....I think this is going to be fun.
I'd guess that you can handload those 30-40 Krags for about 50-70 cents per bang, depending on the bullet. You might spend a buck if you use something fancy like Nosler PBs, but if you got those in a factory loading (if you could even find such an animal) they'd cost more than $40 a box.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:18 AM   #20739
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 14,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
How much per round?

holy cow you should've bought ten boxes.
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:45 AM   #20740
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
$599 if my memory serves me.
That's pretty close to full MSRP I think......it's the "new product discount" at work I suspect. I'd really like one of those, haven't seen any yet, but it makes little sense to me that you can get 357 SP101s for about $400, and the .22 costs 50% more. Maybe when/if supply catches up with demand the price will moderate.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:49 AM   #20741
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,308
Quote:
Reloading really is a great part of the fun for me. It used to be that it saved a lot of money. Now is saves some money, but with the advent of inexpensive 9mm, .45 ACP, and .223, it is not that big a savings, especially when I factor my time into it. But I like to do it, and I like tailoring a load to a particular rifle or handgun. It's time well spent for me. I load for a lot of different calibers, and I've found a few loads in some of the more popular calibers that really work well in nearly any weapon chambered for it.

For .45 ACP, it's that 230 gr lead RN over 5.6 grains of Unique. This one works well in everything.

For .223, it's a 63 grain Sierra jacketed soft point over 25.5 grains of 748. This one even shoots great in my Mini-14, a rifle not typically noted for its accuracy. Great functioning in that rifle, too (never had a misfire or a failure to feed).

For .30 06, it's a 130 gr Hornady soft point over 53 grains of IMR 4320 (this load is a one-holer in a couple of my rifles). I like the .30 06 over all other rifle cartridges, although lately I am liking the .223 a lot, too.

For .357 mag, it's a 200 grain cast lead RN over 12.4 grains of 296. Another favorite is the Hornady 110 grain jacketed hollow point over 10 grains of Unique. That's a really accurate load.

For .22 Hornet (a magnificent round), it's a 40 grain Hornady jacketed soft point over 10 grains of 296.

For .45 70 (God's cartridge), it's a 300 gr cast bullet over 15 grains of Unique. It's a relatively mild load, easy recoil, and more than enough power for anything I'd ever hunt.

You can't usually get these kinds of results with factory ammo, and you certainly can't adjust the velocity like you can when you reload.

As an aside, I reload a lot of 9mm that I shoot in my old Model 59 (one of the very first ones off the S&W line back in the 1970s). Never found a load that I really liked in that cartridge, or one that was particularly accurate. But I like the gun and I like shooting it. "Close enough for government work" seems to capture the essence of that handgun well.
I did reload for a while when .308 was so friggin expensive for the load I needed. But when I slowed to a crawl on shooting my rifles due to time constraints at work and with the family, I stopped and sold all my reloading equipment. Actually, the press and dies were a buddies who had it in my house I use to own in Albuquerque which was pretty big, a I had a reloading room. When I moved to the mountains, I went from a 3000sq ft house, to a 1500sq ft place but went from a tiny yard like a yard for a condo, to 10 acres of prime mountain pine forest land so it was a fine trade off. I can shoot my pistols on my land, and my .22 rifles. and when I get a can for the AR I can shoot it too
Old 10-04-2011, 08:55 AM   #20742
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,523
I'll be cruising through your city Friday, I'll wave if you're anywhere near Tramway, I usually cut through there to 25.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:59 AM   #20743
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,265
A big part of the reloading adventure is just being able to have ammo, too. It's hard to find .22 Hornet, .45-70, .300 H&H, and some of the other classic stuff anywhere (not that I'd spend the money for factory ammo, which won't shoot as well as my loads).

Ah, .300 H&H, forgot to mention that earlier. Now there's a fine cartridge...
'10 California Scooter (my Baja Blaster!)
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:04 AM   #20744
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
I'll be cruising through your city Friday, I'll wave if you're anywhere near Tramway, I usually cut through there to 25.
I pass thru on the other side of tramway, up on I40 and Tramway. Are you just passing thru?
Old 10-04-2011, 09:06 AM   #20745
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
A big part of the reloading adventure is just being able to have ammo, too. It's hard to find .22 Hornet, .45-70, .300 H&H, and some of the other classic stuff anywhere (not that I'd spend the money for factory ammo, which won't shoot as well as my loads).

Ah, .300 H&H, forgot to mention that earlier. Now there's a fine cartridge...
Very true, and I might be inclined to reload if I had any wildcat or esoteric calibres. When I had a .243 I reloaded and that was good because friggin pricing was interesting on .243 for some reason. Also 22-250 was a great round to reload for savings and a good solid load in my shorty 110CL Savage with a 18in heavy barrel.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: