User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 793 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 07:56 AM   #21361
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,652
I have been wanting another rifle.. This time Zastava M76 in 8mm Mauser..
Old 10-27-2011, 09:06 AM   #21362
Jarvis
DC GSer

Oddometer: 10,599
Here's my Marlin 336 in stainless.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:24 AM   #21363
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
Thanks!

"
The year of manufacture for serial number 124XXXX is between 1943 and 1948"

Hmmm...
I would have it appraised. Some are worht a ton some are worth not much, and some are worth just keeping and shooting. If there';s one thing I have learned about gun collecting, it is there are not set rules. Age isn't the only factor in a gun's worth to a collector. And it isn't all based on condition and age or any specific set of rules.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:35 AM   #21364
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,079
...I believe that. I did talk to a local gun shop about the rifle and all the old ammo in original boxes I have.
The guy told me the gun wasn't worth much, that I could buy a new Marlin cheap. He also said he'd take all the old ammo and 'destroy it' for me...yeah right.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:38 AM   #21365
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
...I believe that. I did talk to a local gun shop about the rifle and all the old ammo in original boxes I have.
The guy told me the gun wasn't worth much, that I could buy a new Marlin cheap. He also said he'd take all the old ammo and 'destroy it' for me...yeah right.
I'd tell him to lick your rim because he knows that old factory ammo can also be worth as much or more than some vintage guns.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:39 AM   #21366
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

post up a pic of one of the ammo boxes. What calibre is it? If a 94 it has to be a 38-40, or a 30-30 I would think,.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:41 AM   #21367
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
BTW saying a vintage gun is not worht much because he can sell you a new one cheap is, or can be like saying Phaw, that 1969 Yenko Chevelle SS is not worth much, I can sell you a new Toyota cheap.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:49 AM   #21368
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by RN_Rider View Post
Question re: old military rifles that were 'brought back' by someone's dad, grandpa, etc...I've always wondered how this works. Was this common practice post-war back in the day? Seems like an odd concept today, but different time I suppose.
My next door neighbor (back in the late 50s in Minnesota) showed me the military 1928 Thompson submachine gun he brought back when he returned from Europe after WW2. He said he just put it in his duffel when he came home. In the early 1960s he determined he didn't want to have it at home anymore and dropped it off at the local Sheriff's office even though it was legal for him to keep it. I was only about 12 at the time so the option of buying it from him just wasn't going to happen...

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:02 AM   #21369
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
My next door neighbor (back in the late 50s in Minnesota) showed me the military 1928 Thompson submachine gun he brought back when he returned from Europe after WW2. He said he just put it in his duffel when he came home. In the early 1960s he determined he didn't want to have it at home anymore and dropped it off at the local Sheriff's office even though it was legal for him to keep it. I was only about 12 at the time so the option of buying it from him just wasn't going to happen...
Years ago there was an automatic weapon amnesty...so that all these WWII vets could legal own these weapons....I doubt we will ever see anyting like that again.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:05 AM   #21370
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Years ago there was an automatic weapon amnesty...so that all these WWII vets could legal own these weapons....I doubt we will ever see anyting like that again.
not while this administration thinks the worst threat to the US safety ARE the US Vets returning from the wars.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:08 AM   #21371
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
not while this administration thinks the worst threat to the US safety ARE the US Vets returning from the wars.
+1

Sad but very true.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #21372
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
...I'd tell him to lick your rim ...
And therein lies the rub...I don't trust anybody in this town, let alone gun shops.
Had the old original guy my dad used still owned his shop I'd be there in a minute.
Kinda like finding a trustworthy airhead wrench. Some say they can and can't.

Anyhow, I have several boxes both full and part full and empty. Winchester Super X etc.
They're not ancient but probably 50s and 60s era.

I'll do a pics n inventory this weekend.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:12 AM   #21373
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

So there's a local gun sales board here...

It is great, or WAS when it first showed up. One could easily find great deals on guns that locals wanted to get rid of because they needed money, or didn't shoot anymore, or just wanted to turn something and get something else. Many were up for trade as well and I have made some good trades on this board. I look at it weekly to see what is available and sometimes pick up something or trade something on there. However, recently, as in the last few months, people are starting to think their stuff is wroth close to new prices or want to make a profit trading. It is turning into a CL or Ebay of the local gun market. Of course no one is buying at the stated prices, so after an ad has been up at some ridiculous price for a month or has been reposted three or five times I make a sensible offer and no one takes it. I can't understand the mentality of someone who can't get it through their head that if they have an ad for something at a certain price, and no one responds, it is priced too high. Oh here's a gun pic for the hell of it.

Miniature 1911 fully functional.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:14 AM   #21374
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,447

I hear ya; they are crazy.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:52 AM   #21375
MightyChosen1
I wanna be sedated

Oddometer: 1,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
I bet the Sheriff promptly "disposed" of it.

Years back I was at the house of a retired state trooper who showed Me a vault full of Thompsons that had been confiscated during the 30's and 40's. Back in the day all the troopers were issued was a .38 but if you wanted to stay alive in the battles with bootleggers you went down to the hardware store and ordered up a Thompson for the price of $150, which was a pretty good chunk of change back then.

Highlight of the visit was when the old guy asked us" You boys ever shoot a Thompson?" We spend an hour cutting sheets of 3/4 plywood in half out back of his barn. What a thrill that was.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: