Old 11-28-2011, 06:56 PM   #22096
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
Post a pic!
Can't right now. I'm being selfish and don't want to share just yet. Oh and I'm a dumbass and have no luck getting pictures loaded on the smug mug thing.
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:06 PM   #22097
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast1320 View Post
I had one I picked up from a fellow needed some money. Put about 400 rounds through it without a stutter. Then sold it to a buddy that shot it and had to have it.

Which one?

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:18 PM   #22098
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
The stoeger semi is recoil operated, a lot of folks seems to like that for cleanliness sake.

The SXS interest me because of the short barrels and short OAL compared to just about any other shotgun.
I think I was just reading about that Stoeger, sounded like a nice gun. I'd probably just save up for a Benelli, but I'm kinda a brand snob now for some reason

All I can say about the SXS's is that you need to go to some big sporting good store that has them, preferably one that has the big mounted critters everywhere. Play with the SXSs and the single barrel guns and see what you like. To me, SXSs obscure too much of the target, I always feel like every shot is a leap of faith (that may just be me).

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #22099
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Pumps can jam, yes. For me anyways, I don't like SXS's for clays and I don't like over-unders period. They are just too nose-heavy to me. If you can swing a semi-auto then go for it. If it were my money, I would go recoil-operated over gas-operated though. I have a gas-op semi-auto and it can be finicky, if you are going to shoot them you have to maintain them (as opposed to a pump gun).
All O/U's aren't nose heavy. I guess for some games where long barrels dominate to force follow-through it might be the case, but, generally, they'lll balance on the hinge. And a 24 inch 5 pound 20 ga quail gun is like lightning.

You just can't generalize like that. Model 12's don't handle like I37's and A1 doesn't taste like mustard and a 12 ga Beretta 687 doesn't handle like a 28 ga Guerini Summit.
tslewisz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:35 PM   #22100
PlugUgly
The Littlest Giant

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
The stoeger semi is recoil operated, a lot of folks seems to like that for cleanliness sake.

The SXS interest me because of the short barrels and short OAL compared to just about any other shotgun.

I can see O/Us being great for clays and small bird game, not to mention their beauty, but can't see them being practical for much else.
I love this gun. It is the practical O/U, it's not nose heavy, just regular heavy. Ruger Red Label All Weather, 12g.
PlugUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #22101
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
I think I was just reading about that Stoeger, sounded like a nice gun. I'd probably just save up for a Benelli, but I'm kinda a brand snob now for some reason
I'm not!

Quote:
All I can say about the SXS's is that you need to go to some big sporting good store that has them, preferably one that has the big mounted critters everywhere. Play with the SXSs and the single barrel guns and see what you like. To me, SXSs obscure too much of the target, I always feel like every shot is a leap of faith (that may just be me).
Certainly, I'm not 100% dead set on them, but I think they're very interesting and like their simplicity.

Im most likely going to get whatever shotgun I like the best and can get the best deal on when I finally get the cash saved up. I just like to get all the hmming&hawing out of the way first so I can strike like an eagle on meth when the time is right.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:19 PM   #22102
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I'm personally not a fan of porting. I think it increases blast and flash and does relatively little to reduce recoil. It might help with muzzle flip, but actual straight-back recoil not so much. In fact, by reducing flip there might actually be an increase in hand-slap due to less energy being dissipated by upward motion of the gun. That's my take. A well designed comp is a different story, can attenuate recoil significantly, but most porting doesn't get the job done IMHO.
At one time I had two more or less identical Glocks - the one I have now, a G21 with hybrid porting and a fairly stock G21 without porting. I used to let people shoot them side by side. Everyone could tell the difference. The porting I had on a Taurus M44, that I do have on the Ti Tracker, that I had on a Dan Wesson, all seemed to work fine, but the most effective is the hybrid ports on my G21.

Flash isn't bad (I did some night shooting right after I got it ported - it didn't affect my night vision), but the increase in sound is noticeable.

And yes, it is mostly about muzzle flip, which is IMO is the most significant factor in recovery time and controllability.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:41 PM   #22103
pacecars
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I'll play!

Ruger 22/45 with Pac-Lite barrel, Thunder Beast SL22 suppressor and Opti-Point sight

Wilson Combat Lightweight Hunter 6.8mm SPC with Accupoint Scope

Shiloh Sharps 40-70 Bottleneck

Ruger 10/22 with Whistlepig threaded barrel and Boyd's stock and Bushnell 4200 Elite 10x Mil-Dot scope
pacecars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:48 PM   #22104
pacecars
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
A few more:

Charles Daly 1873 .45 Colt

S&W Model 357 Scandium frame .41 Mag

S&W Model 57 .41 Mag

High Standard Citation .22 LR

Custom Holster for High Standard
pacecars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #22105
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

For you 1911 fans - slide on race gun...

http://www.getgrip.com/main/whatsnew/avenger.html
Old 11-28-2011, 09:10 PM   #22106
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?...ndex&cPath=652

Available in 9MM, .40S&W and .45 ACP
Old 11-28-2011, 09:11 PM   #22107
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Old 11-28-2011, 09:41 PM   #22108
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,537
If you can afford it check out a benelli with the inertia drive. VERY smooth actions and very reduced recoil too.

Pumps are at a disadvantage when shooting anything more than one clay at a time. Cycling the action takes you off target where an O/U or semi simply swings from one to the next. Theres a reason O/Us dominate the trap fields. Sporting clays and trigun are dominated by semis. Plain jane trap can be whatever you want to use. Most use a single barrel setup for their O/U though and swap it for doubles.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:53 PM   #22109
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,827
very nice, pacecars
tony the tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:05 PM   #22110
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
If you can afford it check out a benelli with the inertia drive. VERY smooth actions and very reduced recoil too.

Pumps are at a disadvantage when shooting anything more than one clay at a time. Cycling the action takes you off target where an O/U or semi simply swings from one to the next. Theres a reason O/Us dominate the trap fields. Sporting clays and trigun are dominated by semis. Plain jane trap can be whatever you want to use. Most use a single barrel setup for their O/U though and swap it for doubles.

Gotta disagree with you on the pump being a disadvantage. I've taken too many doubles to count on ducks, geese, dove and have even got a triple on quail on a covey rise. I've also smoked their clay counterparts on the sporting clay field. There are some really fast gas guns (semi-autos) on the market now that will cycle way quick but the folks who can actually run them as fast as they will operate are few and far between.
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: