User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 844 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 03:23 PM   #22321
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 2,648
I went to a gun show today and completely forget to buy beef jerky before I left. I guess I was excited to get this home.

Someone help me out. It's a No 1 mk 3* made in Australia, correct? There were a handful of others in various conditions, but I liked this one with the funky muzzle cap/bayonet lug.

I also saw an $1100.00 SKS today.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:52 PM   #22322
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
Never mind that the original hammer has a safety position that would require shearing the sear or bending the hammer to get the firing pin to strike a primer.

I have my dad's un-modded Blackhawk in .30 carbine. It has the finest trigger I've ever pulled on a handgun. I'm not interested in letting Ruger mess that up.
I've seen 3 screw guns that were dropped and landed on the hammer spur and broke out the "safety" notch. It would have fired had there been a round in that chamber. I never carry with 6 rounds in the gun, but suit yourself and do what you want.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:09 PM   #22323
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
I've seen 3 screw guns that were dropped and landed on the hammer spur and broke out the "safety" notch. It would have fired had there been a round in that chamber. I never carry with 6 rounds in the gun, but suit yourself and do what you want.
I wasn't saying don't leave an empty chamber, I was just pointing out that there is a hammer block of sorts built into the original trigger group.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:10 PM   #22324
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado CJ View Post
My 10 year old nephew's first time shooting my AR Pistol. He was doing great, shooting down clays at 50 and 100 yds.

The ricochet at :42 sounds kinda close.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:27 PM   #22325
Colorado CJ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
The ricochet at :42 sounds kinda close.
The ground was pretty hard, the ricochet actually went down range (a few hundred square miles of nothing),

'09 DL650
'06 DR650
Colorado CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:59 PM   #22326
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado CJ View Post
My 10 year old nephew's first time shooting my AR Pistol. He was doing great, shooting down clays at 50 and 100 yds.

So the buffer tube on an AR pistol can almost be used as a buttstock, but not quite. The ATF has no problems with that?

Is the buffer tuber permanently attached? Or could it be replaced with a buttstock if we didn't have such silly laws?
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:16 PM   #22327
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
So the buffer tube on an AR pistol can almost be used as a buttstock, but not quite. The ATF has no problems with that?

Is the buffer tuber permanently attached? Or could it be replaced with a buttstock if we didn't have such silly laws?
The best I can find I that it shouldn't get you in trouble because the buffer tube is a necessary part in order for the pistol to function, but is not intended for use as a buttstock.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:41 PM   #22328
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,351
Picked up an LC9 at the show today, really liking the way it feels in my hand and the way it carries, but gotta shoot it.
KSJEEPER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:42 PM   #22329
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
The best I can find I that it shouldn't get you in trouble because the buffer tube is a necessary part in order for the pistol to function, but is not intended for use as a buttstock.
Yeah, and I've read about guys putting those rubber ends for canes you pick up at Walgreens on the end of the buffer tubes, to make them a bit bigger. That takes it pretty darn close to a buttstock.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:45 PM   #22330
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSJEEPER View Post
Yeah, and I've read about guys putting those rubber ends for canes you pick up at Walgreens on the end of the buffer tubes, to make them a bit bigger. That takes it pretty darn close to a buttstock.
I saw those too.

Some of them showed paperwork from writing into the ATF (or someone) stating it was only installed to prevent the pistol from sliding and falling over in their safe when stored upright and the return letters OKing it.

So

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:51 PM   #22331
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSJEEPER View Post
Picked up an LC9 at the show today, really liking the way it feels in my hand and the way it carries, but gotta shoot it.
I like mine for what it is designed for- Kinda jumpy but easily controlled. the trigger pull is forever long and hard (DAO safety thing I believe) with a huge amount of slack. Feels really funny when you go back to a 4 lb trigger with minimal slack (easy to fire early).

I can hit a 5 gal bucket at 10-12 yards with 5 shots in about 10 seconds. Not awesome but effective for the little pistol. Can I hit a 6 in target at 20-30 yards? Perhaps, but not likely. Can I hit a man sized chest at SHTF range? Hope not to find out, but can hit a bucket.

Edit- I'd add mine was really stiff the first 50 rounds or so- I'd find some 9mm snap caps to practice the trigger feel
Old 12-04-2011, 07:07 PM   #22332
Juice Box
Got Ink?

Oddometer: 2,884
My son showing us old folk how its done. He took 3rd place out of 29 shooters. All shooters were over the age of 24 except him, he is only 12...

www.dualsportridersoflouisiana.com
Juice Box is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:50 PM   #22333
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal View Post
I like mine for what it is designed for- Kinda jumpy but easily controlled. the trigger pull is forever long and hard (DAO safety thing I believe) with a huge amount of slack. Feels really funny when you go back to a 4 lb trigger with minimal slack (easy to fire early).

I can hit a 5 gal bucket at 10-12 yards with 5 shots in about 10 seconds. Not awesome but effective for the little pistol. Can I hit a 6 in target at 20-30 yards? Perhaps, but not likely. Can I hit a man sized chest at SHTF range? Hope not to find out, but can hit a bucket.

Edit- I'd add mine was really stiff the first 50 rounds or so- I'd find some 9mm snap caps to practice the trigger feel
I have an LCP too. LC9 seems to feel just about the same, just bigger. I might be old fashioned, but for a carry gun I do like the fact it has a safety. I know, I am in the minority on that one...
Old 12-05-2011, 07:31 AM   #22334
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 6,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
It can be, but it's uncomfortable. The ATF has no problem with the use of the stubby buffer tube. So far.

Quote:
Can be replaced with stock. Causes a felony if receiver isn't registered as an SBR.
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:51 AM   #22335
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr View Post
I went to a gun show today and completely forget to buy beef jerky
They are at every show, even the holiday craft shows my wife goes to.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: