Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 479 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 04-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #24976
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
Yeah, it is not really a problem once you are familiar with the "manual of arms" for the 1911. 1911s are pretty rugged, and a good quality one is really great to shoot. Nothing quite like it.
I sure thought I was familiar with the manual of arms for the 1911 being as I've had one for over 10 years and it is by far my favorite pistol to shoot.
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #24977
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,305
One 1911s, how come they designed the safety so that you cannot operate the slide with it on?

Would it damage the internals somehow?

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #24978
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
One 1911s, how come they designed the safety so that you cannot operate the slide with it on?

Would it damage the internals somehow?
You know, I never even thought about that. I don't think it would hurt anything. The Browning Hi-Power is the same way. Might have been to meet some military requirement.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:25 PM   #24979
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
You know, I never even thought about that. I don't think it would hurt anything. The Browning Hi-Power is the same way. Might have been to meet some military requirement.
Kinda what I'm thinking, just seems strange they've never deviate from it except for guns like the p238.

I'd like to be able to have the safety on when I load up the pistol

Old 04-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #24980
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 12,348
NDEBT- that's the nicest gun in the whole world, as far as I'm concerned

ps- paint your porch railings, will ya?
Whoever shows up next better bring ice. -Tom C
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #24981
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,587
Quote:
Kinda what I'm thinking, just seems strange they've never deviate from it except for guns like the p238.

I'd like to be able to have the safety on when I load up the pistol
You know, the only other guns I can recall that have frame mounted safeties that don't drop the hammer that don't also lock the slide are the various CZ-75 clones.

EDIT: Also some rimfire pistols, such as the High Standards.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:23 PM   #24982
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 17,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDEBT View Post
There are some very nice guns here. This one is nothing exept for me. This is the very first brand new gun I ever got. It was Christmas 1975. I begged my Dad for a new gun and whe were pretty broke.This came from OTASCO (Oklahoma Tire And Supply Co) in about 1975 they are long gone A Savage94 they have buttons now instead of the lever. My dad paid for it on time or credit as we call it today.

I grew up and got more and better guns it became the truck gun. I reallly forgot about it for over 20 years thinking it just got sold or traded at some point after I left for college. I asked a few time but no one knew so I forgot about it.

A few weeks ago I went to move the old farm truck to my Sisters shop to try and fix it back up a 59 Chevy Apache. It was under the seat loaded. Like I said it is nothing but a cheap single shot but I thought I found a treasure of my childhood and will clean it up. My Dad is long gone and I willd say before I took this pic I held it up and said pow pow.
I grew up shooting one of those. Not as fancy as that one (doesn't have the checkering on the grip) but to this day it's one of my favorites.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:48 AM   #24983
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,085
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS View Post
I grew up shooting one of those. Not as fancy as that one (doesn't have the checkering on the grip) but to this day it's one of my favorites.
The clink and the smell of the spent shell i will will never forget.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #24984
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojon76 View Post
Sounds like a whiney shop owner. I've owned hundreds of firearms and I'm a HUGE 1911 fan. You can dry fire that thing all day and you won't hurt it. In fact, anything without a firing pin located ON the hammer can be dry fired safely.

That being said, if you dry fire my brand new Dan Wesson, I'm going to be upset just because it's new and it's mine.
Well, I thought so myself, but have been researching dry firing after I bought a GSG 1911 .22. I guess it seems that if you dry fire a .22 (not a Ruger 10/22 though) you can rough up the back of the cartridge seating area (breech plate) and flatten out the head of the firing pin. In the GSG some people have actually broken the firing pin with repeated dry fires. So I am avoiding dry firing my two GSG .22s now. Anything else I dry fire anytime I want. I also found out that Ruger Mark II and Mark II .22 pistols have a stop pin for the firing pin that allows dry firing. As told in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1ANSKkCpqo

doc_ricketts screwed with this post 04-29-2012 at 04:39 PM
doc_ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #24985
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
Well, I thought so myself, but have been researching dry firing after I bought a GSG 1911 .22. I guess it seems that if you dry fire a .22 (not a Ruger 10/22 though) you can rough up the back of the cartridge seating area (breech plate) and flatten out the head of the firing pin. In the GSG some people have actually broken the firing pin with repeated dry fires. So I am avoiding dry firing my two GSG .22s now. Anything else I dry fire anytime I want. I also found out that Ruger Mark II and Mark II .22 pistols have a stop pin for the firing pin that allows dry firing. As told in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1ANSKkCpqo
Unfortunately even though it IS a 1911 clone of sorts, it IS a rim fire and one should NEVER dry fire a rim firs weapon.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #24986
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,115
I have read that some people use a wall anchor for something for the pin to hit....never tried it myself.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=390503

FPGT72 screwed with this post 04-30-2012 at 11:37 AM Reason: To add link
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #24987
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeal View Post
1911 question.

I stopped at a local shop that had a Dan Wesson Valor and asked to see it. The store has a hard and fast rule that you can't drop the slide with just the slide release, you must use your hand to ease the slide forward and you can only test fire the gun once.

Are the high end 1911's that intolerant or is this some urban legend? I think nothing of dry firing my Springfield and dropping the slide, but clearly its much looser. I've had my Springfield for well over 10 years now and it shoots as well today as it did when I bought it.

I've always wanted a well built 1911, but if they are that finicky or susceptible to rough handling I think I'll be better off with my rough and always ready Springfield.
Solely an anal shop owner (rightfully so) who wants to keep the expensive inventory pristine so he can sell it without some schmoe saying hey man, this gun has been handled too much, can you either give me half off or sell me a NEW one? In reality, you'll probably never notice a 1911 has been slide dropped or dry fired 5 zillion times, but the owner of the shop doesn't want to answer any fool questions about taking money off for a handled gun.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:26 PM   #24988
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I have read that some people use a wall anchor for something for the pin to hit....never tried it myself.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=390503
if one really needs to dry firs a .22, you can get snap caps in .22 I THINK and you can always use a spent shell and rotate it by hand.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #24989
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
if one really needs to dry firs a .22, you can get snap caps in .22 I THINK and you can always use a spent shell and rotate it by hand.
Im pretty sure they do, at least I see the empty spot for them on the snap caps rack at bass pro.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #24990
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,115
Quote:
Im pretty sure they do, at least I see the empty spot for them on the snap caps rack at bass pro.

I think the story goes that the hard plastic on the snap cap will bust after a while, but the rubbery plastic of the anchor will not bust....plus it is something you are likely to have around the house and if not it will cost you all of a few bucks to get a handfull.

It is one of those things that looks like it might work for cheap.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: