User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 844 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 09:05 AM   #25921
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,127
How does one pack an XDm or FNP45 as a CCW gun in a practical every-day sense? I'm sure it can be done, but I'd guess it requires some logistics, thoughtful planning, a stout gun-belt/holster combo or shoulder-holster under a jacket, and maybe even a certain body-type!

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #25922
CDS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Here is one I purchased a couple of months ago. Shoots like a dream!

CDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #25923
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Pretty interesting.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:08 PM   #25924
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Pretty interesting.

So you buy el cheapo Wal Mart birdshot then "accurize" them by replacing the straight shot with shot suspended in wax?
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #25925
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastleadam View Post
So you buy el cheapo Wal Mart birdshot then "accurize" them by replacing the straight shot with shot suspended in wax?
Not so much "accurizing" just making cheap slugs to shoot shit with.

You cut the crimp off, pour the shot out into a double boiler with paraffin wax melted in it, then spoon it back into the sell and let it cool.

EvilGenius screwed with this post 06-24-2012 at 12:39 PM
Old 06-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #25926
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,001
Quote:

You cut the crimp off, pour the shot out into a double boiler with paraffin wax melted in it, then spoon it back into the sell and let it cool.
My big qualm would be the weight of charge you install in this manner. Considering most people use shot charge bars and worry about vibration in their loading benches for consistant charges, makes me wonder if perhaps they shouldn't be loading the final shells then weighing them and back comparing it to the factory shell weight?
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #25927
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 5,125
Quote:

I used to shoot wax bullets in my .357 six shooter in my basement. Very accurate and lots of fun. I made the mistake of aiming at something on our house in the back and wound up breaking a window.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #25928
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G View Post
My big qualm would be the weight of charge you install in this manner. Considering most people use shot charge bars and worry about vibration in their loading benches for consistant charges, makes me wonder if perhaps they shouldn't be loading the final shells then weighing them and back comparing it to the factory shell weight?
I don't follow.

I assume by charge you mean the shot?

If so then no, it's not consistent. The shot poured out won't all fit back in due to the added wax. You just fit in what you can.

Theyre just improvised shells, not meant to be super accurate. That video was just showing that they happen to be more accurate than most people think (I didnt think they were that accurate).

Old 06-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #25929
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
How does one pack an XDm or FNP45 as a CCW gun in a practical every-day sense? I'm sure it can be done, but I'd guess it requires some logistics, thoughtful planning, a stout gun-belt/holster combo or shoulder-holster under a jacket, and maybe even a certain body-type!
6 o'clock IWB, or in my Maxpedition bag. I don't carry daily. But it stays in the truck.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #25930
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:

And presto, instant 12 ga. Glaser Safety Slug!
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #25931
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
And presto, instant 12 ga. Glaser Safety Slug!
It's a shame you'd probably be crucified one the stand for such evil ammo, but I do like the idea of cheap slugs to blow the crap out of random stuff with what's essentially a super low recoil cheap slug.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #25932
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It's a shame you'd probably be crucified one the stand for such evil ammo, but I do like the idea of cheap slugs to blow the crap out of random stuff with what's essentially a super low recoil cheap slug.
I would really like to see what one would do to some ballistic gel. I would imagine it would be pretty effective on a soft target.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Old 06-24-2012, 05:46 PM   #25933
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
I would really like to see what one would do to some ballistic gel. I would imagine it would be pretty effective on a soft target.
The same guy did a super slowmo vid of it into some gel a while back, but the camera messed up and was out of focus.

I seem to remember someone else finally doing one, but I don't remember who or what the result was.

Edit: Found this.

EvilGenius screwed with this post 06-24-2012 at 05:56 PM
Old 06-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #25934
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
Quote:

So it is like doing a cut slug, but you can load them in a mag? Cool. I will have to give that a shot. I shot some jugs with cut slugs and they were VERY impressive. Like a 12ga Glaser safety slug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
I used to shoot wax bullets in my .357 six shooter in my basement. Very accurate and lots of fun. I made the mistake of aiming at something on our house in the back and wound up breaking a window.
I used to do that to shoot roaches when I lived in a shitty apartment.

I have been told I have the body of a God. What does this Buddha guy look like?
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #25935
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The same guy did a super slowmo vid of it into some gel a while back, but the camera messed up and was out of focus.

I seem to remember someone else finally doing one, but I don't remember who or what the result was.

Edit: Found this.

Found What?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: