Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 471 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #25966
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct-ktm View Post
Gun newbie here..can one of you guys answer a guestion.?
When I look at black powder pistols some of them say something about nipple wrench..??.
WTF is a nipple ..?..I have seen caps..?...
The nipple wrnech is to remove and replace the cap nipple to clean or replace it.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #25967
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct-ktm View Post
Damm that is a good shot...Thank you...

so looking at that the cap would just go on the nipple correct.?..why would you have to remove the nipple or why would you have more then one.?..I saw a kit that said 5 extra nipples..do they get worn out.
They can get fouled and/or damaged. Like say from someone dry-firing it. The nipple gets peened and the hammer gets damaged.

A revolver would have one nipple for each cylinder. They also come in different sizes which take different caps.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #25968
ct-ktm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,103
Thanks..
ct-ktm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #25969
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,305

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:26 AM   #25970
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaywardSon View Post
I picked up a MAS 45 with two clips years ago in a pawn shop for $125.......kept it for a couple of years & stupidly traded it for I don't remember what. They are a nice rifle with some history & I will buy the next one I see. You can buy the Remington anytime.
I don't see many like either available locally. When I saw the MAS, it was the first one I've ever seen. Big heavy gun for a .22! And from what Iv'e read online, the prices on them have gone up substantially lately. People are paying $300+ for them. I can get either the MAS or the Remington for $175.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #25971
Ianstein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze Red Baron View Post
While I wait out my waiting period for my HK USP, I've been thinking of the best way to introduce my son to gun safety and shooting. He's 11 and really into history (WW2 mainly) and guns. I plan on taking him to a gun safety class at the local range, but would also like to get him shooting. What would be the best starting point - a .22 handgun or kid sized .22 rifle? I figure my USP 9mm will be too big for him to handle.

For me its as much about the fun of getting the target as it is about the discipline and responsibility involved in handling a firearm.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Good call on the USP. It'll treat you right.

Personally, I'd get him started with a rifle. With the media/videogames today, I feel like handguns are portrayed less seriously, where as a rifle (especially a bolt action) is more of a mature, sporting firearm. Obviously from the start you want him to understand that shooting sports are not a game. Sounds kind of cautious, but just my 2 cents.

I learned gun safety a when I was about 10 from my grandpa. He taught me to shoot with some no name lever action BB gun. I think it was a Daisy knockoff. Being that young, I'm amazed at how serious I took gun safety. for a long time I thought a BB was just as powerful as any other bullet just in a much smaller package. Seemed like they all punched holes in paper the same. I guess I was a little foolish, but at least it was being foolish on the safe side.
Ianstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #25972
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,449
22LR single shot bolt. Once they master the basics of safety and shooting, you start adding features and complexity. Caliber too
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:12 PM   #25973
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze Red Baron View Post
While I wait out my waiting period for my HK USP, I've been thinking of the best way to introduce my son to gun safety and shooting. He's 11 and really into history (WW2 mainly) and guns. I plan on taking him to a gun safety class at the local range, but would also like to get him shooting. What would be the best starting point - a .22 handgun or kid sized .22 rifle? I figure my USP 9mm will be too big for him to handle.

For me its as much about the fun of getting the target as it is about the discipline and responsibility involved in handling a firearm.

Thanks for your thoughts.
If you can find one get a CZ Scout It will outshoot many of my full size .22's and would fit a 11 year old well. This is my Son at almost 6 and it is still a li'l big. His first toaster kill. I would stay away from handguns untill the basics are down myself. A year or so I would say.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #25974
Ze Red Baron
Adventure seeker

Oddometer: 437
Thanks for your comments. I'll look for a decent .22 LR bolt action to get him started. Of course, I've also been eyeing a 1938 Swedish Mauser at the shop for myself, but that will have to wait...
www.ars-natura.com
Ze Red Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #25975
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,368
I'll second the CZ bolt-action in .22LR

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #25976
Mr Weebles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
I was at a local gunshop tonight and found a S&W 39-2 in excellent condition with the original box and paperwork. My best guess is the gun was made around 1972 or 1973.

I have a weakness for S&W semiautos and have been after one of these for awhile. This gun is getting buried with me.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:08 AM   #25977
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Weebles View Post
I was at a local gunshop tonight and found a S&W 39-2 in excellent condition with the original box and paperwork. My best guess is the gun was made around 1972 or 1973.

I have a weakness for S&W semiautos and have been after one of these for awhile. This gun is getting buried with me.

Ahead of its time for an american gun.
FPGT72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:09 AM   #25978
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
I'll second the CZ bolt-action in .22LR
While I have not gotten to shoot my 452 yet I have seen it shot and it does very very well. I am impressed with them.
FPGT72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:40 AM   #25979
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,305
:

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:47 AM   #25980
mr7q
Stupid and Contagious

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
While I have not gotten to shoot my 452 yet I have seen it shot and it does very very well. I am impressed with them.
I love my 452. Set up completely stock with the iron sights, and is a hoot to shoot. Fantastic rifles, especially for the price.
mr7q is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: