Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 594 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 06-30-2012, 05:42 AM   #26011
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromdog View Post
Agreed on a great choice. You'll be amazed at how accurate that rifle is. Once you find the right ammo, you'll be hitting nickel sized targets at 50 yards on a regular basis.

For pure shooting fun, you can't beat a .22 rifle!
I can't even see a nickle at 50 yards! Maybe a 3-9x40 scope will help. Gonna pick up an inexpensive scope now. Any experience with the BSA Sweet 22 line?
Old 06-30-2012, 07:34 AM   #26012
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDshakes View Post
I had thought they went out of business last year but their site is still up so I guess they recovered. I've got a Marlin 30-30 that my dad gave me. I have yet to shoot it. I really need to get going with that.
They were purchased by Remington (or the parent company I guess one could argue, Cerebus I believe is the name).

They are now known as Marlington or Remlin (j/k).

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #26013
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
I can't even see a nickle at 50 yards! Maybe a 3-9x40 scope will help. Gonna pick up an inexpensive scope now. Any experience with the BSA Sweet 22 line?
I have had several BSA scopes. The older ones were very good and some of the new ones are crap. However, you can buy a 3-9 BSA sweet 22 for $39 and would be a good starter glass for your youngun. Here is a good review of the sweet 22:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeEE53xQB6o
And the $39 price is on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/BSA-Sweet-22-S...uct/B000NJUPAS
Old 06-30-2012, 10:07 AM   #26014
bmwgrrl
Goin' Minimalistic

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
The place I would most need to carry, in the parking garage at work, I can't; most employers don't allow guns at work, so I would have to leave my gun in the car when I parked and walked into the office. A gun in the car doesn't do me any good when I am not in the car too.
That sucks that you can't even have one locked with your personal stuff at work. A2 just built a 4 story below ground parking structure, and they could GIVE me a spot and I still wouldn't park there (parked in Chicago garages all the time.) With the lack of police presence, and the overabundance of homeless, addicts, etc, it's just going to be a big cesspool like all the other garages, above of below ground.
I park my bike in an alley behind my job and despite 4 security cameras, cars get broken into daily. Most days I just walk, and the aggressive panhandling is way over the top. And the walk home is locked and loaded. Truly sad for a college town no bigger than my thumb.

Not All Who are Lost Wish to be Found
bmwgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:48 AM   #26015
Squidward
At home in my jammies

Oddometer: 1,826
Probbly off-topic but..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwgrrl View Post
That sucks that you can't even have one locked with your personal stuff at work. A2 just built a 4 story below ground parking structure, and they could GIVE me a spot and I still wouldn't park there (parked in Chicago garages all the time.) With the lack of police presence, and the overabundance of homeless, addicts, etc, it's just going to be a big cesspool like all the other garages, above of below ground.
I park my bike in an alley behind my job and despite 4 security cameras, cars get broken into daily. Most days I just walk, and the aggressive panhandling is way over the top. And the walk home is locked and loaded. Truly sad for a college town no bigger than my thumb.
True her in CA as well. Lots off homeless, addicted folk, drunks, walking wounded and recently let go from jail because of the economy folks creating havoc. Our town has been called Bumopolis and there are victims aplenty for the afore mentioned in our small tourist town. .
Old 06-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #26016
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDshakes View Post
I had thought they went out of business last year but their site is still up so I guess they recovered. I've got a Marlin 30-30 that my dad gave me. I have yet to shoot it. I really need to get going with that.
Marlin was bought by the holding company that owns Remington and several other gun manufacturers now. They moved the plant out of CT to Kentucky I think (or was it New York?). From what I gather the Marlin rifles of late, before the move, had suffered in quality and they are now slowly improving.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #26017
nitrox32
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
[QUOTE=CodeMonkee;19019525]The problem I've had with Hawaiian shirts is that they are generally very light, so when you are walking outside in even a light breeze the shirt tails blow around and if you are carrying under them then the gun is exposed - had that happen more than once and people did notice.

What you can do is on the bottom corners of the shirt the materal is folded over for the buttons, put 1 or 2 quarters into each corner and sew it up. That is usually enough weight to keep the shirt from flying around.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #26018
acesandeights
Asperger

Quote:
Marlin was bought by the holding company that owns Remington and several other gun manufacturers now. They moved the plant out of CT to Kentucky I think (or was it New York?). From what I gather the Marlin rifles of late, before the move, had suffered in quality and they are now slowly improving.
Moved from New Haven CT to NY.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #26019
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer: 1,857
Quote:
The place I would most need to carry, in the parking garage at work, I can't; most employers don't allow guns at work, so I would have to leave my gun in the car when I parked and walked into the office. A gun in the car doesn't do me any good when I am not in the car too.
Just because they don't allow it doesn't make it illegal though, at least not here. Unless you work at a school or some other off limits place.
You could just get a day planner looking case and lock it up at work or keep it somewhere they won't look. So much easier for women with their purses. Unless you have to pass through a metal detector I guess.

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPT3.as...&CatalogID=393

MiamiMotorcyclist screwed with this post 06-30-2012 at 01:02 PM
MiamiMotorcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #26020
acesandeights
Asperger

Where I live, if you have a concealed carry permit you can carry most places; however, when a private business says no guns you're essentially trespassing if you carry on their property. Private businesses/property owners, at least where I live, can dictate what people/employees do on their property, even those with a concealed carry permit.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #26021
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiMotorcyclist View Post
Just because they don't allow it doesn't make it illegal though, at least not here. Unless you work at a school or some other off limits place.
You could just get a day planner looking case and lock it up at work or keep it somewhere they won't look. So much easier for women with their purses. Unless you have to pass through a metal detector I guess.

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPT3.as...&CatalogID=393
At this point in time I am not inclined to risk my job on the off chance that I might get accosted between the garage and the office. The area is okay, not strictly downtown but not suburban tech park either. It isn't near as bad as when I worked in Seattle.

I am just saying that this was the one area I would think about carrying if I were inclined to (besides in the woods) and for practical reasons I cannot.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #26022
PyroMedic
Fire+Needles=Happy

Oddometer: 48
looking for a small 9mm semi auto. I'm tired of having to wear extra layers to hide my 229 when its 100* out. looking for something that will hide easier with just a t-shirt, or that i could stick into cargo pockets in shorts. These are what my choices have come down too. I've already ruled out the MP Shield as it only has the safety on the left side and i am a left handed shooter so that's out. The 938 you can get with ambi controls. Unfortunately I have not shot any of the 3 nor do i know anyone with any of them. I'm kinda leary on the nano when the local shop has 1 new one in stock and already 2 used ones on the shelf again. So looking for some input if you wouldn't mind.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:41 PM   #26023
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroMedic View Post
looking for a small 9mm semi auto. I'm tired of having to wear extra layers to hide my 229 when its 100* out. looking for something that will hide easier with just a t-shirt, or that i could stick into cargo pockets in shorts. These are what my choices have come down too. I've already ruled out the MP Shield as it only has the safety on the left side and i am a left handed shooter so that's out. The 938 you can get with ambi controls. Unfortunately I have not shot any of the 3 nor do i know anyone with any of them. I'm kinda leary on the nano when the local shop has 1 new one in stock and already 2 used ones on the shelf again. So looking for some input if you wouldn't mind.
Kahr PM9 or CM9.
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:50 PM   #26024
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
I have had several BSA scopes. The older ones were very good and some of the new ones are crap. However, you can buy a 3-9 BSA sweet 22 for $39 and would be a good starter glass for your youngun. Here is a good review of the sweet 22:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeEE53xQB6o
And the $39 price is on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/BSA-Sweet-22-S...uct/B000NJUPAS
I picked up the Sweet 22 3-9x40 AO for $45. Looks pretty nice, but my rings aren't tall enough. Gonna need some taller rings for it to clear the bolt/handle. About 1mm shy of having clearance!
Old 06-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #26025
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer: 1,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
Where I live, if you have a concealed carry permit you can carry most places; however, when a private business says no guns you're essentially trespassing if you carry on their property. Private businesses/property owners, at least where I live, can dictate what people/employees do on their property, even those with a concealed carry permit.
That's pretty much how it was explained in my class but basically they would have to ask you to leave and then you better or then you are trespassing. Probably safer to view it the way you described though rather than test it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: