Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 842 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 09:46 AM   #26071
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Have you had any range time with a SP101 though? A 6-shot revolver with a 4" barrel will just be a range toy, but that's probably 99% of what it needs to do. If a SP101 is as much fun to shoot, I'd rather get one of those so I can have a little more function.

If I got a S&W it would be one of these:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411545790
I own two SP101s, a 3" gun in 357, and a 4" .22LR. I like them both although the triggers are heavy and need work, and compared to almost any S&W are damned rough. The 357 is nice to shoot with 38s, kicks a fair bit with magnums.

You mentioned in an earlier post that you wanted to get something in addition to the GP100 that was concealable. While concealing a 4" barrel gun is certainly possible, and quite a few people do it, most tend to tilt to a shorter barrel. My personal favorite is this:

Model 66 2.5", this one is 1980 vintage. I don't shoot a lot of magnums out of it, but it'll eat 38s all day long and is just very nice handling and more accurate than any short-barreled revolver I've ever fired. I consider the S&W 19/66 to be the best balanced and nicest shooting revolvers ever made. As they say about them on the S&W Forum, "everything you need and nothing you don't!" Amen.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #26072
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
No, but I don't talk to everyone I see either. I guess if I acted like a jackass I'd get more negative reactions.
If you can tell someone is CCW that person is not doing it right. Now if you have some sort of sixth sense, that is fine too. However, anyone carrying a firearm doesn't want anyone to KNOW they are CCW so never mention it to them or begin a converstaiton about guns with them unless you are away from anyone else.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #26073
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

This makes me feel all OOOGLY inside...
Old 07-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #26074
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 12,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Cow View Post
Kind of like when I sling my Drag-bag over my shoulders for a short ride to the range...
:ymca
Old 07-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #26075
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
If you can tell someone is CCW that person is not doing it right. Now if you have some sort of sixth sense, that is fine too.
I disagree. I think through training and practice people develop skills and get better at things. Being able to tell if someone is carrying is one of those skills that can be developed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
However, anyone carrying a firearm doesn't want anyone to KNOW they are CCW so never mention it to them or begin a converstaiton about guns with them unless you are away from anyone else.
Obviously.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #26076
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,350
Quote:
I disagree. I think through training and practice people develop skills and get better at things. Being able to tell if someone is carrying is one of those skills that can be developed.

Obviously.
Not obvious to everyone ; someone a page or so back referenced that being able to spot the CCW crowd had led to some good gun conversations with those he spotted.

I personally can't imagine starting a conversation with someone I thought I saw print. To each their own I suppose.

Everyone should stop assuming that anything seen printing through a shirt is a roscoe. Otterbox cases are huge. People wear insulin pumps. They wear job specific multi-tools / cutters. The list goes on and on.
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #26077
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSJEEPER View Post
Not obvious to everyone ; someone a page or so back referenced that being able to spot the CCW crowd had led to some good gun conversations with those he spotted.

I personally can't imagine starting a conversation with someone I thought I saw print. To each their own I suppose.
Which I think would make it obvious. If you're going to start a conversation like that it would best to be discreet. Seems you're agreeing with sniperx, which I was agreeing with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSJEEPER View Post
Everyone should stop assuming that anything seen printing through a shirt is a roscoe. Otterbox cases are huge. People wear insulin pumps. They wear job specific multi-tools / cutters. The list goes on and on.
I can't imagine everyone, or even many, does that.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #26078
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I own two SP101s, a 3" gun in 357, and a 4" .22LR. I like them both although the triggers are heavy and need work, and compared to almost any S&W are damned rough. The 357 is nice to shoot with 38s, kicks a fair bit with magnums.

You mentioned in an earlier post that you wanted to get something in addition to the GP100 that was concealable. While concealing a 4" barrel gun is certainly possible, and quite a few people do it, most tend to tilt to a shorter barrel. My personal favorite is this:

Model 66 2.5", this one is 1980 vintage. I don't shoot a lot of magnums out of it, but it'll eat 38s all day long and is just very nice handling and more accurate than any short-barreled revolver I've ever fired. I consider the S&W 19/66 to be the best balanced and nicest shooting revolvers ever made. As they say about them on the S&W Forum, "everything you need and nothing you don't!" Amen.

I could not agree more. The Colt python is a close second but the 19 just feels perfect for me.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #26079
Rubber Cow
GS Dork

Oddometer: 5,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
Hi Sweety!!
The Tropical Brothers in action....land, sea and air!

"Woof, woof woof woof ...woof woof!!!!!!!!!"
Cricket the Dog-RIP
Rubber Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #26080
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:

Obviously.
There are tell tale things some do whilst CCW but most who have been CCW for long don't telegraph.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #26081
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
Um, I feel he is talking about a different type of "Drag Bag" than you are thinking.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #26082
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Hmmm...

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #26083
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Have you had any range time with a SP101 though? A 6-shot revolver with a 4" barrel will just be a range toy, but that's probably 99% of what it needs to do. If a SP101 is as much fun to shoot, I'd rather get one of those so I can have a little more function.

If I got a S&W it would be one of these:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411545790
Yes, I have shot the SP101 a bit. It, like the other Ruger revolvers is OK, but for feel, handling and "shootability" it can't compare to a K-frame S&W. Somehow, to me they feel a but crude and not quite finished.

The S&W you linked would be, IMHO, more fun than an SP101.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:59 PM   #26084
ZzyzyxRd
Home of the odds

Oddometer: 11,334
Debating whether to start a new thread on competition info or just start here....

I would like to start competing I just don't have any idea what/where to start.

Should I start a new thread?

I'm looking for anybody with three gun experience but what I really want is to get info about the different classes of competition.

Fun and family oriented is the goal.
ZzyzyxRd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #26085
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzyzyxRd View Post
Debating whether to start a new thread on competition info or just start here....

I would like to start competing I just don't have any idea what/where to start.

Should I start a new thread?

I'm looking for anybody with three gun experience but what I really want is to get info about the different classes of competition.

Fun and family oriented is the goal.
I shoot IDPA. International Defensive Pistol Association. Mainly because it is more fun than shooting at targets standing still. You just need a pistol a double mag pouch and ammo.

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: