ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 159 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 06:56 AM   #26791
HardCase
winter is coming
 
HardCase's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: chambers on the Third
Oddometer: 9,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatling View Post
I've been a fan of the .375 H&H for a long time. This is my "go to" rifle...it's a Remington 700 I bought in Texas in the late 1970s...


Last year I bought a Ruger M-77 in 375 H&H that was still new in the box...haven't fired this one yet...I sure like the wood.


And I take delivery tomorrow on a Ruger No. 1 in .375 Ruger. That one has even nicer wood than the two above, but I don't have any photos of it yet. The .375 Ruger is an interesting round, with velocities at or above the .375 H&H and case dimensions that allow chambering it in standard length actions (not that this feature makes any difference in a Ruger No. 1). I'm curious to see how it shoots and how it recoils.

Someone above posted about case shoulder making a difference in recoil. I'd never heard of that; I always thought recoil was strictly a function of muzzle velocity, bullet weight, rifle weight, and stock design. You know, F = ma.

My 375 Model 700 has a hefty kick to it; substantially more than a .30 06, but still manageable. It is not a gun you can shoot from the bench all day long. That said, the .375's recoil is way below a .458 Win Mag or a .45-70 loaded to max velocity in a Ruger No. 1. I love shooting the .375 H&H, but if I'm going to be burning up a lot of ammo, the .308 and the .30 06 are two of my favorites. Been doing a lot with the .223 lately, too (I kind of fell in love with my Circassian Mini 14). The Mini is not all that accurate, but every once in a while it kind of settles in and lets me connect with metal gongers at 275 yards on a regular basis.
Those are some beautiful guns, gatling. I've seen a lot of really nice wood on No. 1s, but not so much on 700s or 77s, although occasionally you'll spot one that seemingly slipped through. Post up some pics of the 375 Ruger when you get a chance, I'd love to see it. I need to pull the 9.3x74R out of the safe and take some pics, it's a No. 1 although the wood on that one is nothing spectacular. Not bad though. I have one other No. 1 in 7mm Rem. Mag that is beautiful. I bought that one back in the 70s.

Re the 375 case shoulder affecting recoil, I didn't see that and certainly didn't say it. We did discuss case stretch, head separations following repeated handloadings, that sort of thing, and how that is something a guy has to be careful of with long tapered cases with puny little shoulders.....like the 375H&H.
__________________
Μολών λαβέ

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:43 AM   #26792
gatling
Beastly Adventurer
 
gatling's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Oddometer: 2,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
Those are some beautiful guns, gatling. I've seen a lot of really nice wood on No. 1s, but not so much on 700s or 77s, although occasionally you'll spot one that seemingly slipped through. Post up some pics of the 375 Ruger when you get a chance, I'd love to see it. I need to pull the 9.3x74R out of the safe and take some pics, it's a No. 1 although the wood on that one is nothing spectacular. Not bad though. I have one other No. 1 in 7mm Rem. Mag that is beautiful. I bought that one back in the 70s.
ater
Re the 375 case shoulder affecting recoil, I didn't see that and certainly didn't say it. We did discuss case stretch, head separations following repeated handloadings, that sort of thing, and how that is something a guy has to be careful of with long tapered cases with puny little shoulders.....like the 375H&H.
Thanks, Hardcase. The Model 700 I posted above is an exceptional rifle. The guy at the gunstore (Alpine Range, in Fort Worth) knew I was a wood freak and he showed it to me when I was in the store one day. He had ordered it for a guy who was going to Africa. I told him I wanted it and he told me it was already sold, but the guy hadn't seen it yet. I asked him to order another one for the other guy and he told me he couldn't do that. I told him to take a good look at me, because it was the last time he'd ever see me if he didn't sell me the one above. Long story short, he did as I asked and the gun was mine. I think I paid something like $342 in '78 for it. When I came back to pick it up he reluctantly showed me the other one he ordered for the guy who was supposed to get this one; it was plain (broomstick wood, I called it).

I am getting the 375 Ruger No. 1 today and I will try to get a photo or two of it posted later this weekend.
__________________
www.motofoto.cc
www.CaliforniaScooterCo.com/blog/
'06 KLR 650 (Red...the fast one...)
'10 California Scooter (my Baja Blaster!)
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:07 AM   #26793
HardCase
winter is coming
 
HardCase's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: chambers on the Third
Oddometer: 9,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatling View Post
Thanks, Hardcase. The Model 700 I posted above is an exceptional rifle. The guy at the gunstore (Alpine Range, in Fort Worth) knew I was a wood freak and he showed it to me when I was in the store one day. He had ordered it for a guy who was going to Africa. I told him I wanted it and he told me it was already sold, but the guy hadn't seen it yet. I asked him to order another one for the other guy and he told me he couldn't do that. I told him to take a good look at me, because it was the last time he'd ever see me if he didn't sell me the one above. Long story short, he did as I asked and the gun was mine. I think I paid something like $342 in '78 for it. When I came back to pick it up he reluctantly showed me the other one he ordered for the guy who was supposed to get this one; it was plain (broomstick wood, I called it).

I am getting the 375 Ruger No. 1 today and I will try to get a photo or two of it posted later this weekend.
That's a good story. My 7mm Rem. Mag. No 1, purchased around that same time, '78 or '79, wasn't a gun I had any intention of buying. I just happened to be in a shop and spotted it. I fell in love with the wood and bought it on the spot. I remember my wife at the time practically shit a brick, we didn't have a lot of money and our son had just been born recently. I was seriously in the dog-house for a while after that impusle purchase. I did use the gun quite a bit in the next several years, took an antelope with it at a little over 300 yards, and also a mule deer at long range, same hunting trip to SE Montana.

Enjoy the new No. 1! I envy you. I am about to head out to pick up a single-shot rifle myself, but nothing nearly as pretty or glamorous.....an H&R single-shot in 500 S&W Magnum. Downright ugly, actually, I think broomstick wood would be nicer than what this one has. It's like someone plied it lightly with a blow-torch to try to simulate fiddle-back, prior to slapping on the Verathane. But I've been wanting a rifle in 500 because I've played with that caliber so much ever since it came out in handguns in '03. And for $249 OTD it should be pretty cheap entertainment.
__________________
Μολών λαβέ

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #26794
gatling
Beastly Adventurer
 
gatling's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Oddometer: 2,139
Interesting. I've toyed with the idea of buying one of those H&Rs in .45/70 just to play with a it a bit. Keep us posted with your adventures on the .500.
__________________
www.motofoto.cc
www.CaliforniaScooterCo.com/blog/
'06 KLR 650 (Red...the fast one...)
'10 California Scooter (my Baja Blaster!)
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #26795
00SS
Always a vicious cycle
 
00SS's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Keller, Texas
Oddometer: 1,614
Anyone have any experience with the Mossberg ATR 100 in 30.06?
Thinking of picking this one up today, the reviews I've found are favorable.. matter of fact, the reviews are excellent. Academy has it for 300 bux
__________________
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice
00SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #26796
HardCase
winter is coming
 
HardCase's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: chambers on the Third
Oddometer: 9,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatling View Post
Interesting. I've toyed with the idea of buying one of those H&Rs in .45/70 just to play with a it a bit. Keep us posted with your adventures on the .500.
Here it is, the H&R 500 S&W Magnum. I went into the shop and they only had the one left, it was the display gun, and had been handled some. It has a small mark on the stock about the size of a pin-prick, and I suggested that they lower the price by $10, so they did and my OTD cost was $239. I got it home, wiped it down, and am pretty impressed.



The wood is nothing to get excited about, I'm not sure what it is, but the butt has a very faint bit of figure.



Seems pretty robust, lots of steel surrounding the chamber, but is still fairly light-weight.....I am guessing right at 7 pounds.



Big honkin' muzzle! The 500 S&W is a true 50 caliber, .500. My standard load, arrived at after some considerable experimentation with the 8 3/8" and the 4" handguns, is a 440 grain CastPerformance flat nosed gas-check hard-cast bullet. Out of the longer handgun it generates about 1530fps. I am guessing it'll get an additional 200fps out of the longer rifle barrel. A 440 grain 50 caliber bullet moving at 1700+ feet per second is going to be respectable.




I don't know if this picture shows it very well, but the sights are very bright fiber-optics, and a wide open rear. They seem to be at a good height and are quick to acquire. Rear sight is green, front is red.



I haven't shot it yet but plan to get out either this evening or tomorrow and send some lead downrange.
__________________
Μολών λαβέ

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #26797
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina
 
Juanjo_NY's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: WashingtonVille, NY
Oddometer: 3,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
Here it is, the H&R 500 S&W Magnum. I went into the shop and they only had the one left, it was the display gun, and had been handled some. It has a small mark on the stock about the size of a pin-prick, and I suggested that they lower the price by $10, so they did and my OTD cost was $239. I got it home, wiped it down, and am pretty impressed.



The wood is nothing to get excited about, I'm not sure what it is, but the butt has a very faint bit of figure.



Seems pretty robust, lots of steel surrounding the chamber, but is still fairly light-weight.....I am guessing right at 7 pounds.



Big honkin' muzzle! The 500 S&W is a true 50 caliber, .500. My standard load, arrived at after some considerable experimentation with the 8 3/8" and the 4" handguns, is a 440 grain CastPerformance flat nosed gas-check hard-cast bullet. Out of the longer handgun it generates about 1530fps. I am guessing it'll get an additional 200fps out of the longer rifle barrel. A 440 grain 50 caliber bullet moving at 1700+ feet per second is going to be respectable.




I don't know if this picture shows it very well, but the sights are very bright fiber-optics, and a wide open rear. They seem to be at a good height and are quick to acquire. Rear sight is green, front is red.



I haven't shot it yet but plan to get out either this evening or tomorrow and send some lead downrange.

that look very nice.. I'd give the wood a coat of used motor oil ;)
Tomorrow I will go put the first few shots to my 45-70
__________________
cheers, Juanjo
Juanjo_NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #26798
HardCase
winter is coming
 
HardCase's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: chambers on the Third
Oddometer: 9,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanjo_NY View Post
that look very nice.. I'd give the wood a coat of used motor oil ;)
Tomorrow I will go put the first few shots to my 45-70
That's right, you just got the 45/70 version of the same gun, right? I'm thinking yours has a black, presumably plastic, stock. Does it have the same sort of fiber-optic open sights? I'm interested in hearing about it after you shoot it. Have fun!
__________________
Μολών λαβέ

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #26799
xring04
Gnarly Adventurer
 
xring04's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: East Tn.
Oddometer: 293
Time for some real glass for my $85 Savage .22 The cheap scope on it is a no name 3-9x40 and the lack of parallax adjust makes it hard to shoot. I'm thinking a leupold rimfire scope will be the way to go.



It did not do too bad @ 45 yards with bulk pack ammo.

xring04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #26800
gatling
Beastly Adventurer
 
gatling's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Oddometer: 2,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
Here it is, the H&R 500 S&W Magnum. I went into the shop and they only had the one left, it was the display gun, and had been handled some. It has a small mark on the stock about the size of a pin-prick, and I suggested that they lower the price by $10, so they did and my OTD cost was $239. I got it home, wiped it down, and am pretty impressed.



The wood is nothing to get excited about, I'm not sure what it is, but the butt has a very faint bit of figure.



Seems pretty robust, lots of steel surrounding the chamber, but is still fairly light-weight.....I am guessing right at 7 pounds.



Big honkin' muzzle! The 500 S&W is a true 50 caliber, .500. My standard load, arrived at after some considerable experimentation with the 8 3/8" and the 4" handguns, is a 440 grain CastPerformance flat nosed gas-check hard-cast bullet. Out of the longer handgun it generates about 1530fps. I am guessing it'll get an additional 200fps out of the longer rifle barrel. A 440 grain 50 caliber bullet moving at 1700+ feet per second is going to be respectable.




I don't know if this picture shows it very well, but the sights are very bright fiber-optics, and a wide open rear. They seem to be at a good height and are quick to acquire. Rear sight is green, front is red.



I haven't shot it yet but plan to get out either this evening or tomorrow and send some lead downrange.
Super nice, HC, and congrats to you. Enjoy it and keep us posted on load development. That looks like it is going to be a lot of fun. As promised, my new toy...

















If we ever get over-run by elephants or dinosaurs, we're ready.
__________________
www.motofoto.cc
www.CaliforniaScooterCo.com/blog/
'06 KLR 650 (Red...the fast one...)
'10 California Scooter (my Baja Blaster!)
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:35 PM   #26801
ZzyzyxRd
Home of the odds
 
ZzyzyxRd's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: So Nev
Oddometer: 11,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
+1

The one on the new Czs everyone seems to like drives me bonkers.

It looks even worse in the olive drab.

I like the rest of their compacts though, one day I'll find a P-01.

ZzyzyxRd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #26802
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina
 
Juanjo_NY's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: WashingtonVille, NY
Oddometer: 3,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
That's right, you just got the 45/70 version of the same gun, right? I'm thinking yours has a black, presumably plastic, stock. Does it have the same sort of fiber-optic open sights? I'm interested in hearing about it after you shoot it. Have fun!
yes,
the gun came with Williams sights (no gosh ring) but I took them off and put the scope.
Tomorrow is going to be the first time I shot it!! :)
I
__________________
cheers, Juanjo
Juanjo_NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #26803
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzyzyxRd View Post
It looks even worse in the olive drab.

I like the rest of their compacts though, one day I'll find a P-01.

I'd very much like to own a P-01 or SP-01 at some point.
__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #26804
HardCase
winter is coming
 
HardCase's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: chambers on the Third
Oddometer: 9,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatling View Post
Super nice, HC, and congrats to you. Enjoy it and keep us posted on load development. That looks like it is going to be a lot of fun. As promised, my new toy...

















If we ever get over-run by elephants or dinosaurs, we're ready.
Wow! Beautiful. I love No. 1s. The wood is gorgeous. I like the straighter grain in a hard-kicking rifle in preference to swirly stuff. Maybe it's just psychological, but I feel like it's less likely to crack or split under recoil. That one has some great contrasting shades and colors but is still fairly straight.

I like the V rear and the bead front sights too, great for a charging dinosaur. Have extra rounds between the fingers of your left hand (assuming you are a right-handed shooter) and a protocol for rapid reloading, though! When I was hunting with my 7 RM No. 1 I actually found a buttstock ammo carrier, held four or five, but instead of on the butt of the gun I wore it on my left wrist, thought I could reload more quickly that way. The No. 1 clears the shell out of the action quick but you need to turn it 90 degrees to the side so the expended brass will fall away, otherwise it tends to get hung up on the safety lever.
__________________
Μολών λαβέ

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #26805
buildit
Pumpkin Rider
 
buildit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Near London, OH "sort of"
Oddometer: 13,763
Days like today should be every weekend. My sister and her fiance and a close friend here on ADV got together on the range out back. Several hours shooting handguns in the beautiful cool weather and then we got out the long guns and moved back to the 220ft mark. First we fired my 45-70 a few times so I could confirm the resighting job I had done. Well, it's spot on! Then we had some fun with Erics AR15 with the bump slide. Dam that's fun. The fast way to get several hundred round thru a gun and still be totally legal.

__________________
Don't trust links? Google ADVFilmer for videos.
http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014