Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 798 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #27061
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
The real biggest problem is the operator. Limp-wrist the gun, and you'll get failure to feed all the time with a recoil-operated weapon. This is especially true with lightweight weapons that have less inertia.

I use Chip McCormick magazines in the 1911 that I carry. Once I know that a new mag is reliable, it's used for carry only. I have other mags to use at the range. If one goes sour, I smash it flat with a big hammer and toss it.
+1 ... betcha limp wrist is responsible for a high percentage of jams on small auto pistols.

that's part of the reason for going to a 11oz revolver with internal hammer. dead reliability with super low weight makes carrying effortless. most times I'll forget 340PD is on me.

when shooting full house .357 rounds from an 11oz pistol ... you'd better be ready for a handful!! no it doesn't make your hands bleed, but it does require steady practice to be able to hit your target.

when in practice, I can hit a pie plate at 15yds and keep all five .357 rounds inside.

recently purchased a S&W 66-2 .357 ... been working hard on shooting that accurately. My most accurate pistol is hands down 1911 Gold Cup that's been extensively worked by me. preference is wilson combat magazines.

_cy_ screwed with this post 10-10-2012 at 10:41 PM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:11 PM   #27062
welder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,520
reality gun shows

Just checked out a new gun show. I believe it is called "American Guns". What a pos show this is. The same old crap drama that is in all the other reality tv shows. The only ok gun shows are "top gun" and "top shot", and even they are mediocre at best. What are everyone elses thoughts on reality gun shows.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:43 PM   #27063
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,528
American Guns

I have watched that one quite a few times, it doesn't come any where near "my" version of reality but they do at times produce some pretty impressive firearms from big blocks of metal. They don't seem to have as much 'conflict' as many so-called reality shows but that was beginning to change when the show finished the past season. Far too much money spent on fancy paint jobs, engraving and plating for my tastes. I have to wonder if one can buy a CNC program to 'build your own' 1911, SAA or Winchester 92 or if someone there actually has the talent to write one. Lacking any good shows with a firearms theme, I won't turn it off when I happen across it.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:18 AM   #27064
ZzyzyxRd
Home of the odds

Oddometer: 11,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
....sooo...what's the word on CA model approved CZ handguns?
Seems like no one across the nation has got anything from the manufacturer for many moons...
CZ's seem to trickle in in batches.
your best bet is probably gunbroker.
ZzyzyxRd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:27 AM   #27065
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzyzyxRd View Post
CZ's seem to trickle in in batches.
your best bet is probably gunbroker.
CZ Custom just got some in, but don't know if they are PRK legal.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:30 AM   #27066
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
. Lacking any good shows with a firearms theme, I won't turn it off when I happen across it.

Bruce
They are very few and far between....but Gun Stories is I think the best "gun show" on tv at the moment. Second to american rifleman, shooting usa is a VERY distant third....but it is a bit dry. It does focus on the different gun games that are out there, but even being one that likes this kind of stuff it is just lacking in something....I don't know what that is, but it is just missing a little piazzazz.

I bet I have watched at least one...or parts of one of every gun show out there...some are just pure garbage. The new crop of "self defence" shows are really pretty darn bad.....and a few give you scenerio's that if you do what they did you will end up in prison....some of them make me want to scream.....where is that screaming smily.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:58 AM   #27067
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
They are very few and far between....but Gun Stories is I think the best "gun show" on tv at the moment. Second to american rifleman, shooting usa is a VERY distant third....but it is a bit dry. It does focus on the different gun games that are out there, but even being one that likes this kind of stuff it is just lacking in something....I don't know what that is, but it is just missing a little piazzazz.

I bet I have watched at least one...or parts of one of every gun show out there...some are just pure garbage. The new crop of "self defence" shows are really pretty darn bad.....and a few give you scenerio's that if you do what they did you will end up in prison....some of them make me want to scream.....where is that screaming smily.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #27068
vspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
New AR for me. A Colt M4 this time. (Pictured below my older Bushmaster).

Didn't really need it, don't have a use for it, already had a similar rifle, but damn its cool. I've liked the AR ever since my days in the Army.

Had to start loading up some ammo to feed these babies.

Working my way through a 500 round pack of 55 gr fmj's

I've had that Bushmaster for about a decade. It's a Ban gun or whatever, doesn't have the bayonet lug, has a muzzle brake instead of a flash supressor, etc. It's been a great rifle. Absolutely reliable and accurate enough for what it is.

I was at the range with it recently and near the end of the day it began short stroking. I thought at first that the trouble was being caused by some new (Stoner) magazines I was using. Further investigation revealed that the gas key had come loose. I've known for years that some AR manufacturers do a better job of staking the gas key bolts than others. My Bushy's bolts had a minimal staking job, but I never worried about it because it hadn't given me any problems over the years.

Anyway, I cleaned everything up, put some blue loctite on the screws, and torqed them back in. Then I used a hammer and center punch to stake the piss out of them.

Hopefully I've fixed the problem.

Here's the Colt's bolt with factory staking. Much more substantial than the Bushmaster had.

vspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #27069
clevishook
stevedore

Oddometer: 1,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by welder View Post
Just checked out a new gun show. I believe it is called "American Guns". What a pos show this is. The same old crap drama that is in all the other reality tv shows. The only ok gun shows are "top gun" and "top shot", and even they are mediocre at best. What are everyone elses thoughts on reality gun shows.
They all seem to have the same scenario. I'm also not crazy about all the over the top large cal. full auto military stuff.
Why not some high quality hunting rifles or some historical rifles. The zombies are NOT right around the corner.
clevishook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #27070
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevishook View Post
They all seem to have the same scenario. I'm also not crazy about all the over the top large cal. full auto military stuff.
Why not some high quality hunting rifles or some historical rifles. The zombies are NOT right around the corner.
and if they are most the AR's I've been around would be jammed or have feeding issues.

2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #27071
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
32 was good enough for Gen Patton then it is good enough for me .....
and a pointy stick was good enough for cro-magnon then it is good enou.........................Oh, never mind.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #27072
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 5,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by welder View Post
Yes, it is very stupid. The owners act like they are super wealthy and want to show themselves turning over bricks of money for guns that are not that interesting. I have been in there shop in Wheatridge CO a couple of times to look over their guns for sale and had to ignore them personally. I wouldn't buy anything from them unless it was a super buy. They did have a Win 1876 that I was slightly interested in, but had to get out of the store before I threw up.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:37 PM   #27073
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,468
Just pulled the trigger on a new, never fired Mini 14. Friend of a friend needed rent money. $400. Synthetic black stock, stainless. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but it's in it's original packing oil and box. I have this bright yellow rubber gopher that's supposed to stand up to everything up to .50 cal. He's spring mounted......and he's about to get his ass shot up pretty bad.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #27074
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
just pulled the trigger on a new, never fired mini 14. Friend of a friend needed rent money. $400. Synthetic black stock, stainless. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but it's in it's original packing oil and box. I have this bright yellow rubber gopher that's supposed to stand up to everything up to .50 cal. He's spring mounted......and he's about to get his ass shot up pretty bad.
Lyle
pics ??
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #27075
worldrider555
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Just pulled the trigger on a new, never fired Mini 14. Friend of a friend needed rent money. $400. Synthetic black stock, stainless. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but it's in it's original packing oil and box. I have this bright yellow rubber gopher that's supposed to stand up to everything up to .50 cal. He's spring mounted......and he's about to get his ass shot up pretty bad.
Lyle

Nice!

I just picked a wooden stock model the other day, didn't get quite the deal you did on it but I'm happy. Like it much better than my AR, just gotta love that garand style action!
worldrider555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: