ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 619 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #27466
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader
 
RED CAT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canada
Oddometer: 2,750
Nice

Nice Buck!
RED CAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #27467
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey
 
doc_ricketts's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: FlaWaCo?
Oddometer: 4,666
Remember with Savages you can swap barrels (and calibers) in about 10 minutes. But the other guns are good too. The Ruger American looks real sweet.
__________________
"Get yourself to the hills and be uplifted, assuming you got some good knobbies"
doc_ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:55 AM   #27468
KeithinSC
Beastly Adventurer
 
KeithinSC's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Sandhills of SC
Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
Remember with Savages you can swap barrels (and calibers) in about 10 minutes. But the other guns are good too. The Ruger American looks real sweet.
I'm not so sure about my Savage AXIS, it is a gun built to a price point, it may not have that flexibility. I'll have to investigate!
KeithinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:57 AM   #27469
Tmaximusv
Studly Adventurer
 
Tmaximusv's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Gateway to the Sandhills
Oddometer: 607
770

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastleadam View Post
Friend is wanting a new hunting rifle in 308, the entry level plastic bangsticks have caught his eye. Ruger American, Remington 770, Savage AXIS, etc. Curious how well it works out for you.
I traded a sporterized Brazilian 7x57 Mauser for a 770 (OK, had to throw in a little cash). The 770 is in 30-06 and I traded out the scope for a somewhat better Bushnell in 3-9 power.

Great accuracy and not nearly as much recoil as I expected for a plastic stock. My only complaint is that it won't eject the S&B brass very well. I haven't had a chance to try other ammo but I do think that the S&B brass expands a lot in the chamber and gets difficult to eject until the receiver heats up.
__________________
Illegitemi non-corundum est.
Tmaximusv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:13 AM   #27470
Signal
Cynical Idealist
 
Signal's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 8,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastleadam View Post
Friend is wanting a new hunting rifle in 308, the entry level plastic bangsticks have caught his eye. Ruger American, Remington 770, Savage AXIS, etc. Curious how well it works out for you.
A savage 110- just above teh axis level, are excellent .
__________________
Day Trippin'- Endless Utah
Signal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:42 AM   #27471
JeffS77
cheap bastard
 
JeffS77's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Riverside , CA
Oddometer: 3,186
anybody think one day the old top break S&W's and Iver Johnson's might be worth anything ? in particular chambered in .38 S&W ?? they are so cheap and cash and carry here in CA. ammo is a little pricey but they are still fun guns to shoot... found a blued long barrel Iver Johnson for a tick over $100 ...the longer barrel guns seem harder to come buy but even in tip top shape probably only worth $250 ?
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:46 AM   #27472
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Northcentral CT
Oddometer: 8,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS77 View Post
anybody think one day the old top break S&W's and Iver Johnson's might be worth anything ? in particular chambered in .38 S&W ?? they are so cheap and cash and carry here in CA. ammo is a little pricey but they are still fun guns to shoot... found a blued long barrel Iver Johnson for a tick over $100 ...the longer barrel guns seem harder to come buy but even in tip top shape probably only worth $250 ?
Hard to predict future values. All the guns I have purchased have pretty much held their values. All the ones my buddy bought have doubled or tripled.

If I buy one of the models you ask about, they will not go up in value. Send me $25 and I promise not to buy one.
__________________
In the beginning, there was nothing. Even That exploded
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:51 AM   #27473
JeffS77
cheap bastard
 
JeffS77's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Riverside , CA
Oddometer: 3,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Hard to predict future values. All the guns I have purchased have pretty much held their values. All the ones my buddy bought have doubled or tripled.

If I buy one of the models you ask about, they will not go up in value. Send me $25 and I promise not to buy one.

wait now if EVERYBODY bought one then there would be little supply on the market and high demand so prices will rise ...so lets all go buy one and talk on public forums on how cool they are

The only firearm I have that is really worth anything is probably my original Armalite AR-7 .. other than that most my firearms are purcahsed for under $200.. I am cheap and like inexpensive guns
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #27474
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer
 
Fire Escape's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Epsom, NH
Oddometer: 1,467
Ar-7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS77 View Post
wait now if EVERYBODY bought one then there would be little supply on the market and high demand so prices will rise ...so lets all go buy one and talk on public forums on how cool they are

The only firearm I have that is really worth anything is probably my original Armalite AR-7 .. other than that most my firearms are purcahsed for under $200.. I am cheap and like inexpensive guns


You mean one of these?
http://www.impactguns.com/henry-arms...835002006.aspx

An original by Armalite is probaly a more valuable example but having a new 'edition' available doesn't help the current price. I lost track of how many companies have made this gun over the years. It seems to be too good to die but not popular enough to be a success. My FIL got one 'back in the day' to run his trap line, that made me happy because it meant that I got my Nylon 66 back from him.


Bruce
__________________
No one calls the Fire Department because they did something smart!
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #27475
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert
 
RuggedExposure's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Hermanas, NM (on the US/Mex border past BFE)
Oddometer: 1,209


Just finished the rifle in the middle:
18" 300 BLK

Already ordered the parts for my next build.
__________________
The fear and dread of you will fall on all the beasts of the earth

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:10 PM   #27476
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert
 
RuggedExposure's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Hermanas, NM (on the US/Mex border past BFE)
Oddometer: 1,209
Oh yeah, I also put a Harris bipod on there to work with the monopod on the rear.
Eventually it will have a rifle scope on it, but for now the Eotech and 3x magnifier works fine for coyote hunting.

__________________
The fear and dread of you will fall on all the beasts of the earth

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #27477
Meter Man
Living on a prayer
 
Meter Man's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Montana
Oddometer: 7,255
Good God Man! Try something other than an AR build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post


Just finished the rifle in the middle:
18" 300 BLK

Already ordered the parts for my next build.
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:19 AM   #27478
Parepin
The Filthy Nomad
 
Parepin's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: That's... a tough one to answer
Oddometer: 1,079
Do any of you guys have any experience with the Rossi Model 92 in a .357/.38 combo? I'm lookin for an affordable beater rifle to take out into the bush, and the lever actions have always given me a little boy woody.
Parepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:07 AM   #27479
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Kingsville MO
Oddometer: 5,228
The second from the left is just how they should look....and if I was to ever get a second AR pattern rifle it would be just like that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post


Just finished the rifle in the middle:
18" 300 BLK

Already ordered the parts for my next build.
__________________
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist
[/FONT]
FPGT72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:12 AM   #27480
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Kingsville MO
Oddometer: 5,228
The trail has warmed up again on a G43....Hitlers Garand. Hope this one comes to pass....it would round out the collection nice.

Not the rifle I am working on but this is what they are....this is actually a pic of a toy gun, but it is a good photo of what they look like.

__________________
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist
[/FONT]
FPGT72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014