Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 866 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #28651
Otis the Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
Note the page number and show us your best !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and worst ???????????????
Do little ones count?

Fact is, I like roads. I like to move.
Harry Truman
Otis the Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #28652
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,898
Page 1911

Posted the pic not too long ago, but you can never have too much 1911

SkidMarx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:27 PM   #28653
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,801
Model 70 Long Action

A cheap cunt KLR riding friend bought a Boyd stock for a short action Winchester Model 70. He doesn't own a short action Model 70, but the stock was on sale. He asked me to fit a long action (30-06) into it. I've started on the trigger guard and carved out so it fits to the full depth of the existing inlet in the wood, but it sits quite proud and doesn't look right. Can someone with a long action Model 70 tell me if the metal should be flush with the wood?

EDIT: Nevermind. I just e-mailed him to bring the original stock to me at work Monday so I can take measurements and see for myself. Don't know why I started doing this blind.

PunkinHead screwed with this post 02-16-2013 at 12:47 PM
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #28654
00SS
Always a vicious cycle

Oddometer: 1,688
added a comp to my workhorse.. i really prefer this full fame as opposed to the SA Ultra i had. I had to do some grinding on the rail accessory mount to get to fit right.. and was going to sand and repaint, but i think it gives it character I have a stainless comp as well and haven't decided which i like better (knowing these are for show as they aren't really going to help recoil.. well, a very small % maybe).

Old 02-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #28655
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinHead View Post
A cheap ... KLR riding ....
Isn't that redundant?
'10 California Scooter (my Baja Blaster!)
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #28656
Sam Buca
a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer: 2,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlagRS View Post
You’re right about the striker, a light strike would cause a misfire not an FTE. I’m also wrong about the extractor, your understanding of how the extractor works with the ejector is right on. Good luck with your shooting this weekend

OK, I am glad to say that the 300 rounds I shot earlier today all went bang and hit the targets... Not a single issue of rapid fire in 80F heat.

Seems old habits die hard. About 40 years ago I carried a FAL around for two years and my life and others dependent on it to work all the time without a hitch in very adverse conditions - dusty Africa (Angola to be precise). We all got into the habit of using absolutely minimum oil as it causes problems in those conditions and there were times we did not have an opportunity to clean our rifles for days. On the FAL you can change the amount of gas that gets released into the gas piston chamber to compensate for any stickiness in the moving parts.
The rifle was the R1 (South African) variant with a flash protector/grenade launcher and a fold-up stock (paratrooper version or R2) with the standard length barrel. They were all capable of sustained automatic fire. Something like this.

Each stick of 10 (section) was also issued with either a heavy-barrel version which contained a bi-pod, or a BREN LMG that was modified to take the same magazines and shot the NATO 7.62 X 51 round for supporting fire.

This minimum oil habit stuck with me and now that I am using proper oil, a lot more of it and not that CLP stuff in the Ruger SR9 she is back to living up to her reputation as a no BS hard-working accurate pistol you can rely on.

Thank you for your participation in resolving the issue.

Sam Buca screwed with this post 02-16-2013 at 04:05 PM
Sam Buca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #28657
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,943
Anybody ever try to buy a gun from Dick's Sporting Goods chain? I did today, but never again.

Tried to buy a Marlin 30-30 they had on the rack. Gave them my driver's license, permit to carry (which is also a permit to purchase) and filled out the form. The guy was very particular on how I filled out the dates and not abbreviate anything. Plus they were pressing for your SSN, which is optional, but that's fine, I always right mine down.

Then the counter clerk says he has to go get it approved by the store manager. Ok, so I wait. And wait. And wait. This takes at least 10 minutes and probably closer to fifteen. Within that amount of time at least three or four other people come to the counter and are looking for help. No one else is around I tell them he left with my paperwork. They all get tired of waiting and leave.

Then the kid comes back with the manager and says that my approval has been "delayed". I'm like "what do you mean"? They say "it's not denied, but we can't get it processed and it may take up to a week". I tell them I don't understand because I can present the same paperwork and walk out with a gun in ten minutes from any other gun store in town. My background check has already been run, with my Permit to Carry. Anyway, Dick's can call me in a week, but they've already lost the sale.
2whlrcr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:49 PM   #28658
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
I recently picked up this Winchester 94 made in 1956. It was owned by an 88 year old guy that bought it new. It wasn't one of those cheap garage sale finds, but on the plus side, it has never been fired.

I had a Ted Williams/Winchester 30 30 that I foolishly sold about 30 years ago because it wasn't cool . Hmm, now why do I keep looking at 45 70's or a 357 carbine. Levers, my new addiction I think.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #28659
Bappo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Next Friday I'll add a Kel Tec PMR30 to my stable. Can't wait. OD Green Friends of NRA edition although getting any version is nigh on impossible. Will take some pics before the tragic loss occurs
Bappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #28660
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00SS View Post
added a comp to my workhorse.. i really prefer this full fame as opposed to the SA Ultra i had. I had to do some grinding on the rail accessory mount to get to fit right.. and was going to sand and repaint, but i think it gives it character I have a stainless comp as well and haven't decided which i like better (knowing these are for show as they aren't really going to help recoil.. well, a very small % maybe).

How'd you mount the rail?

Does the comp make any appreciable difference?

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #28661
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
Anybody ever try to buy a gun from Dick's Sporting Goods chain? I did today, but never again.

Tried to buy a Marlin 30-30 they had on the rack. Gave them my driver's license, permit to carry (which is also a permit to purchase) and filled out the form. The guy was very particular on how I filled out the dates and not abbreviate anything. Plus they were pressing for your SSN, which is optional, but that's fine, I always right mine down.

Then the counter clerk says he has to go get it approved by the store manager. Ok, so I wait. And wait. And wait. This takes at least 10 minutes and probably closer to fifteen. Within that amount of time at least three or four other people come to the counter and are looking for help. No one else is around I tell them he left with my paperwork. They all get tired of waiting and leave.

Then the kid comes back with the manager and says that my approval has been "delayed". I'm like "what do you mean"? They say "it's not denied, but we can't get it processed and it may take up to a week". I tell them I don't understand because I can present the same paperwork and walk out with a gun in ten minutes from any other gun store in town. My background check has already been run, with my Permit to Carry. Anyway, Dick's can call me in a week, but they've already lost the sale.
I bought my AR at one before thanksgiving.

Was done in about 15-20min, but that sounds like an exception to the norm.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #28662
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
I bought my AR at one before thanksgiving.

Was done in about 15-20min, but that sounds like an exception to the norm.
I've bought 4-5 from Dicks and every one took excrutiatingly long. I never got a delay from the background check, but it always seemed to take close to an hour by the time the salesman went over the paperwork with a fine toothed comb then a manager repeated the process.
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #28663
rollinrob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFlow View Post
I recently picked up this Winchester 94 made in 1956. It was owned by an 88 year old guy that bought it new. It wasn't one of those cheap garage sale finds, but on the plus side, it has never been fired.

I had a Ted Williams/Winchester 30 30 that I foolishly sold about 30 years ago because it wasn't cool . Hmm, now why do I keep looking at 45 70's or a 357 carbine. Levers, my new addiction I think.

Nice score on the 30-30. I have one of each 45-70 and 357 Trapper. I have the feeling more lever actions are in my future

rollinrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #28664
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,776
I sold my AR a few years ago and bought a couple levers, Marlins in .44M and .45-70 to go with the .22 I already had. I really want a .30-30, .35Rem and another .45-70 or two (I want a Cowboy and another shorty).

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #28665
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 8,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
I just know you guys can help me on this. I need a good pistol case. One pistol. 1911. I bought a Safari case, which looks really cool, but upon further investigation, the lock system is just CRAP! It's going back to the store.
What do you guys use? Like to keep it below a hun. I'm a poor bush pilot. Thanks
Lyle
Small Pelican!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: