User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 487 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #28666
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,085
For the first time in my life I went to a gun show and made no offer on anythitng. I saw rifles I would not pay $50.00 for with $1100.00 price tags.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #28667
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDEBT View Post
For the first time in my life I went to a gun show and made no offer on anythitng. I saw rifles I would not pay $50.00 for with $1100.00 price tags.
Yeah, it's the way all the gun shows are now. Smart folks are looking elsewhere and avoiding the gun show tourist traps.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:30 PM   #28668
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinrob View Post
Nice score on the 30-30. I have one of each 45-70 and 357 Trapper. I have the feeling more lever actions are in my future

Perfect! Just what I want. Send them up.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #28669
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
I sold my AR a few years ago and bought a couple levers, Marlins in .44M and .45-70 to go with the .22 I already had. I really want a .30-30, .35Rem and another .45-70 or two (I want a Cowboy and another shorty).
I agree, the Marlin Cowboy with that straight grip and octagon barrels are really nice looking.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #28670
duckman
"sic gorgiamus allos

Oddometer: 865
the last show i went to was in Pa. about a month ago. they had no name ARs going for 3 grand and beat up cap and ball colts going for 2500. it might be some time before i buy another semi automatic .maybe after the revolution
and no do rags
'we gladly feast on those who would subdue us'
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #28671
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman View Post
the last show i went to was in Pa. about a month ago. they had no name ARs going for 3 grand and beat up cap and ball colts going for 2500. it might be some time before i buy another semi automatic .maybe after the revolution

Not to be a dick but you need to take that rubber shit off of those beatifull guns.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #28672
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Oddometer: 1,724
Sr 1911

just a few quick thoughts on my new ruger 1911.

i'm no expert on 1911s. i'm sure there are folks on here who know more than me. i'll just give a few observations on the ruger because it is fairly new, and because someone asked me how i liked it.

i don't/won't carry a 1911, i own one because it's fun to shoot. i owned a springfield "mil spec" until i got this ruger a few weeks ago. since that's the only other 1911 i've owned, i can't help but compare the two.

number one, overall i'm happy with the ruger, and happy i made the switch. the springfield was a nice "basic" 1911, and is apparently a good platform for making a custom gun. i wasn't about to start altering or adding on to my springfield, so the ruger was an upgrade that addressed my two problems with the mil spec.

the thumb safety on my mil spec was small, extremely stiff and hard to manipulate. i have big hands, and it was still a chore. second issue with the mil spec was the sights. the front sight was tall and sharp (90 degree cut on the rear edge snagged on every holster).

huge improvement with the ruger. nice large thumb safety. easy to flip on and off. the novak sights are easy to pick up and don't snag on anything.

fit and finish with the ruger isn't perfect. if you inspect it up close you can find little imperfections. if anyone is curious, i can try to take some close up pics to illustrate this point. but what can you expect for a 1911 in this price range?

trigger on the springfield was a little better. there's a little "bump" i feel on the ruger, not a huge deal, but it's there. you'd have to look for it to find it.

shot 40 rounds this afternoon. 200 gr semi wadcutter reloads. gun was super smooth and accurate as any pistol i've shot. it's really a pleasure to shoot a full sized 45 acp.

the springfield came with both wood and black plastic grips. the wood were really nice, and i ended up prefering them. the ruger came with cheesy plastic grips that look like wood, but look and feel pretty cheap. i ordered the ruger black plastic (rubber) ones, hopefully they are better. otherwise i'll be shopping for another set.

ruger came with two mags, a 7 and 8 round. the 8 rounder has a rubber bumper on the bottom. both worked fine. i also used an 8 round kimber tac-mag. for some reason i had a fail to feed with the kimber when loading the top round. keeping in mind that these are my SWC reloads, i'm not too concerned. i'll try with factory ball ammo before i condemn the mags. does anyone have experience with those kimber tac mags? this one is maybe two years old, stored empty.

carry on.
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:10 PM   #28673
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Oddometer: 1,724
oil thread

back to the CLP question,

anyone using FrogLube? it's supposed to be a CLP.

i've been using the liquid form for a few months. no complaints, seems like a decent lube. it doesn't dissolve powder as fast as hoppes 9, but it's supposed to be safer for your health.

i'm curious to hear if anyone else is using it.
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:09 PM   #28674
00SS
Always a vicious cycle

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
How'd you mount the rail?

Does the comp make any appreciable difference?
it is a 'designed to fit' rail that bolts on to the trigger guard .. seems pretty solid. I haven't shot it yet with the comp, but will Monday. I had to do a bit of grinding/sanding on the mount.. but i figure for 23 bux, it's worth a shot.. and so far so good. pm me if you want the link
Old 02-16-2013, 11:33 PM   #28675
VegasKLRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFlow View Post
I recently picked up this Winchester 94 made in 1956. It was owned by an 88 year old guy that bought it new. It wasn't one of those cheap garage sale finds, but on the plus side, it has never been fired.

I had a Ted Williams/Winchester 30 30 that I foolishly sold about 30 years ago because it wasn't cool . Hmm, now why do I keep looking at 45 70's or a 357 carbine. Levers, my new addiction I think.

I love Lever guns! I have well over 60 rifles, and my favorite one is an 18" Marlin in .357mag. Within 100 yards, if I can see it, I can hit it and I can get hits on target faster than with anything else I own.

I keep looking for deals, but the lever heads just won't part with anything cheap right now.

WWJWD?

What Would John Wayne Do?

Southwest Riders visit www.my2wheels.com.
VegasKLRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:13 AM   #28676
duckman
"sic gorgiamus allos

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDEBT View Post
Not to be a dick but you need to take that rubber shit off of those beatifull guns.
i hear you but the range i go to is primitive at best and my shit dosnt touch the dirt.
and no do rags
'we gladly feast on those who would subdue us'
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:23 AM   #28677
Devil Dog
Q-Tip With Ears

Oddometer: 9,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancowboy View Post
does anyone have experience with those kimber tac mags? this one is maybe two years old, stored empty.

carry on.
My wife and I run them in our Kimbers. No problems here
Old 02-17-2013, 07:08 AM   #28678
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,739
.45ACP Mags!

Are cheap. Always nice to have 5 or 6 on hand. Don't waste any money on 7 rounders when you can get 8s for the same price. All makes seem to work in all guns. Gotta have plenty of mags to shoot any kind of competitions of any sort. Fun or serious. I like Wilsons and McCormicks best but there are lots of good ones out there.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:27 AM   #28679
BOBaloo22
Bald Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFlow View Post
I recently picked up this Winchester 94 made in 1956. It was owned by an 88 year old guy that bought it new. It wasn't one of those cheap garage sale finds, but on the plus side, it has never been fired.

I had a Ted Williams/Winchester 30 30 that I foolishly sold about 30 years ago because it wasn't cool . Hmm, now why do I keep looking at 45 70's or a 357 carbine. Levers, my new addiction I think.

My Father gave me the exact gun that his Dad gave him in '56 when he was 16.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:32 AM   #28680
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,704
I missed posting a pic of one of my 1911s on page 1911, but this'll have to do. This was a very Plane Jane SA gun that I purchased circa 1990. I took it to a nearby smith to have some mods, and he did it although not the smoothest most professional job I've ever seen. Added Bo-Mar sights, a beavertail, and better safety. Later I got a trigger job from a more skilled craftsman and this gun has one of the nicest triggers I've ever felt on a 1911, breaks crisply at about 2.5#. A little light for defense or carry, but I mostly used it in IDPA and some IPSC matches, and just for plinking. I actually haven't shot it in a while, think I'll have to take it out in the next couple of weeks and blast out the cob-webs.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: