Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 864 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #28696
jestragon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
It's quite a good piece and relatively advanced for it's day....
And, to me at least, it is a beautiful, effective and supremely functional design.
jestragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #28697
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,858
I've owned 3...this 3rd one will not be sold. Most comfy gun I have ever fired.
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #28698
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by jestragon View Post
And, to me at least, it is a beautiful, effective and supremely functional design.
I sing the praises of John Browning. Just shot it and the new one today, boy, in spite of looking a lot different, they both shoot really well - the .40 was a gas, wish I'd had more ammo - could only lay hands on three boxes and shot two of them.

Another note, got two boxes of TulaAmmo for the 9mm - boy is that stuff JUNK - oh, no dead rounds but sheesh, what a pain to load, several misfeeds [the first time with the Hi Power!] Crap, crap, crap.

Now the fun part - cleaning 'em! Weekday shooting at the range is great - no one there!

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:51 PM   #28699
duckman
"sic gorgiamus allos

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
I won't even step foot in a Dick's anymore - they screwed a bunch of people over after the Newton shooting by canceling their orders for ARs - including screwing over the company they had an ongoing contract with to sell the ARs.

I won't deal with sellers who pulls such BS on their customers or the businesses they deal with or that cave to political pressure.

That said, it is not uncommon to have a purchase be delayed where it is subject to a background check. The seller cannot do anything about it if the background check is required by law for purchase - the agency doing the check returns a "delayed" status and then you just have to wait. Sometimes it comes back in an hour, sometimes a few days. It probably would not do any good to go elsewhere either as they will hit the same roadblock - if they don't then that means the delay was removed.
im with you. i will never go into dicks sporting goods again. they used the shootincg in Ct. to advertise their bullshit stores.
and no do rags
'we gladly feast on those who would subdue us'
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:30 PM   #28700
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
I won't even step foot in a Dick's anymore - they screwed a bunch of people over after the Newton shooting by canceling their orders for ARs - including screwing over the company they had an ongoing contract with to sell the ARs.

I won't deal with sellers who pulls such BS on their customers or the businesses they deal with or that cave to political pressure.

That said, it is not uncommon to have a purchase be delayed where it is subject to a background check. The seller cannot do anything about it if the background check is required by law for purchase - the agency doing the check returns a "delayed" status and then you just have to wait. Sometimes it comes back in an hour, sometimes a few days. It probably would not do any good to go elsewhere either as they will hit the same roadblock - if they don't then that means the delay was removed.
Background check is done when you apply for your Permit to Purchase a firearm. I have never had any other store do it's "own" background check. Walk in with your permit, current driver's license and money into any other gun dealer and you walk out with a gun.

Unfortunately I like Dick's for some of there other sporting goods and clothing, so I will return, but I will not try to buy another firearm from them.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #28701
blake716
nine toes

Oddometer: 11,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Went to the range with a buddy and his new Ruger P95 a few weeks ago. We shot about 100 rounds through it and must have had 10 -15 FTFs and FTEs. He was not a happy camper. fwiw: He chose not to clean and lube before its first outing.

My XDM-40 3.8 has fired 500 rounds without a failure.

That's a fine shooting pistol, especially in the 5.25.

A few months ago, a friend of mine bought the 5.25 in .40 cal.

He liked it so much that 2 days later he bought the 3.8 (sub compact) in .40 cal.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #28702
theothersean
dirty boy

Oddometer: 1,005
too cold and windy to shoot today so I made another target stand .
hopefully we won;t get another weather event next weekend and I can spend some time shooting at it , assuming I can find some ammo .

http://
04 prairie 700 (plow duty)
theothersean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #28703
Hoots Magoon
Hey ya'll, Watch this!

Oddometer: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by theothersean View Post
too cold and windy to shoot today so I made another target stand .
hopefully we won;t get another weather event next weekend and I can spend some time shooting at it , assuming I can find some ammo .
Why's the black dude gotta be the bad guy?

Hoots Magoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #28704
tkitna
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,964
Friends were in from Virginia visiting his parents. He just retired from the military and his wife is still active. He just built this AR-10 (I think thats what it is. Shoots .308's) and we took it through its first run.

My son, me and Steph taking a crack at it. Really fun, but it did jam twice during some rapid fire's. (Sorry for the crappy photo's, but it was freezing out and my wife was shaking.)

Shot some hand guns too.

Fun day shooting even if it was only about 18 degrees out.

2008 DL650
2013 Goldwing
tkitna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:12 AM   #28705
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Always considered the Hi Power to be one of the most comfortable guns I've ever got my paws around.
Lyle
Agree, if feels like they took my hand and built the gun around it....one of these days I have to buy one of those....perhaps after the crazy stops, last one I saw was $1100.

Did pick up another 1903, gosh I really like those little things....you pick it up and one word comes to your mind.....QUALITY.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:13 AM   #28706
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots Magoon View Post
Why's the black dude gotta be the bad guy?
All I could think about was shooting that hanging tennis ball
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #28707
andy29847
Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer: 2,189
Gun Fun

I bought a Thompson Center R-55 All Weather (22lr) for my Christmas present. I put a 3X9 Simmons scope on my gun.

I started out shooting off-hand and it was ugly - all around the bullseye. I decided to shoot some from a rest so I could work on my trigger control and breathing. I developed a target/game where I would shoot a few warm up shots, and then shoot at individual spots on my target for "score". Currently I am shooting from 25 yards.

Above is my target from yesterday. My gun was strangely off zero from the previous practice - shooting low. You can see by the warm up in the center where I walked the shots into the mark. The first 2 score shots were still low, so I adjusted the scope and shot those again. The change in zero may have been due to cold weather, or a different lot of ammo, or a change I made with my rest (2x4s and a sock sandbag), or all 3. Moving from left to right, bottom to top - the idea is to hit the intersection of the lines. I was about half way through and I saw (through the scope) a bug land on the target. Oooooo, I had to try. Struggling with buck fever, I lined up the shot. The bug cooperated and stayed on the target. I held my breath and squeezed......KILL SHOT!!!

I LOVE THIS GUN.
ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
Smugmug coupon code = bQItjZEfrqLkI
MOAB Ride Report

andy29847 screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 09:29 AM
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #28708
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
I bought a Thompson Center R-55 All Weather (22lr) for my Christmas present. I put a 3X9 Simmons scope on my gun.

I saw (through the scope) a bug land on the target. Oooooo, I had to try. Struggling with buck fever, I lined up the shot. The bug cooperated and stayed on the target. I held my breath and squeezed......KILL SHOT!!!

I LOVE THIS GUN.
love it. Gives me an idea for spring. old hamburg meat and a white sheet of paper and wait for the flies. maybe smear it around on the paper so there isn't a single piece for them to sit on.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #28709
theothersean
dirty boy

Oddometer: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Hog View Post
All I could think about was shooting that hanging tennis ball
Gary
Honestly no thought given toward race, color , ect , its just that the black and white paint offer good contrast down range . That and the paint is only $0.96 a can vs $4 or more for flouresant colors .

I suppose I'm screwed no matter what color I make the tagtes, someone will always be offended .

And as for the tennis ball . I wanted to shoot it myself after walking into it so many times during the build . Normally it rests against the trucks windshield .
04 prairie 700 (plow duty)
theothersean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #28710
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Agree, if feels like they took my hand and built the gun around it....one of these days I have to buy one of those....perhaps after the crazy stops, last one I saw was $1100.
I'm sure I overpaid for mine, but I did not a 9MM, I wanted a Hi Power, so I paid what the market demanded, plus for the walnut grip model and plus again for the adjustable rear sight.

It's amusing to compare the slab sided design of the new FN against the nearly sensuous curves on the Hi Power. And the HP is a much more classic profile.

I agree that it fits the hand better than anything except maybe my K22 Masterpiece, but that's in another entire category.

Lucked out and scored 500 rounds for the .40 today - lucked out at THREE gun stores - got my ration of 3 boxes from Wallyworld, then bought 4 more at another shop [and left several boxes on their shelves] then visited my local store and they had some on the shelf so to support them I grabbed another two boxes, not cleaning them out.

Nothing else but .40 - 9 mm was all gone, etc. Still virtually no .22 to be found.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: