Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 865 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 06:10 AM   #29026
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
After working for the man for 10 years now...you would be shocked what people do.
I'm a former social worker... So I pretty much have no "bottom expectation" when it comes to people. People can and will do ANYTHING. And I mean that in the positive and negative way.

So, me? I don't post my plate, serials, etc. There's no advantage to me. Though I do recognize the difference between "potential" and "probable" and I don't care if others' math is different and they post unique data with impunity. To each there own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS View Post
I want one as well. Saw one at the local gun store two days ago. They wanted $1600 for it. Almost twice the MSRP.
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Well, good for them if they get it. Since it's a PUMP and because it's new to the market and it's FEATURES have not been vilified (yet) it's not on any but the most aggressive ban lists. For instance, I think it gets filtered by NYS and CT. But everywhere else, it's still a pump shotgun. Nothing more, nothing less.

Gotta love the free market. For $1600, I'd take a case of 870s or 590s any day of the week.

Tripl Nikl screwed with this post 03-18-2013 at 06:16 AM
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:23 AM   #29027
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo Gadget View Post
I drove a Honda about 8 miles and it sputtered the whole way. I tried to wheelie once or twice and it just had no power. I could not get the front wheel off the ground. At the gas station the pumps had a retaining wall to catch any spilled gas. As we all know gas is expensive these days, so I grabbed an old towel and sopped up some gas then squeeze it out into the tank.

Now I will admit that if you used clean fuel it might work better, YMMV. But in my limited experience, Hondas are not really as reliable as most people say.

Yeah, that seems about right.
sorry to hear about your bad experience "driving" a honda. I'll bet there's a thread that could help you address your issues somewhere on this forum...

You DID see the part where I recommended to the new owner that he try factory loads WHEN HE CAN GET SOME, right?

You're welcome to love your glock. Doesn't mean I have to.
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #29028
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
Ditto. I've got three STI's and two springfield XDM's, all in 9mm. I didn't know it was wrong to own both.
Just to pile on, I've got a Wilson (45 slide, 38 Super slide, and .22 kit), a Clark Sr. long heavy slide, and a couple of Glocks.

Just to reiterate: different guns, different tasks.
BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #29029
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,768
I understand intellectually that Glock are pretty decent pistols - and I've never actually shot one as I don't know anyone who owns one.

Truth be told, I just don't like the way the G looks. Never have. To my eye it's unattractive regardless of it's reliablility.

However, I recognize that they were pioneers in the synthetic handguns, and I can appreciate them for that.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #29030
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
I understand intellectually that Glock are pretty decent pistols - and I've never actually shot one as I don't know anyone who owns one.

Truth be told, I just don't like the way the G looks. Never have. To my eye it's unattractive regardless of it's reliablility.

However, I recognize that they were pioneers in the synthetic handguns, and I can appreciate them for that.
What Glock did was to design a gun that could be cranked out cheaply on ordinary mass production machinery. There was very little thought given to aesthetics, if any. It's the same philosophy that Kalashnikov used. Ugly but functional.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #29031
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post

Sometimes it's a matter of preference, sometimes it's snobery and more often than not it's loving what you have and are comfortable with. I have a Glock 17 and my best friend shoots a Springfield XD9. We have shot each others guns many times but like what we have.
It sounds like a war over who like KLRs in here. Who cares? Just share what you have and what you love like the thread title says'.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #29032
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Sometimes it's a matter of preference, sometimes it's snobery and more often than not it's loving what you have and are comfortable with. I have a Glock 17 and my best friend shoots a Springfield XD9. We have shot each others guns many times but like what we have.
It sounds like a war over who like KLRs in here. Who cares? Just share what you have and what you love like the thread title says'.
Yep, I have six different pistols - and I like each of them for it's specific virtues or design, two of them were from my Dad, one was his sidearm in the Air Force as an F-86 pilot.

It's interesting to me though, that my favorite guns tend to be what an eliteist might call the most aesthetically pleasing - for example, I prefer rifles with real wood on them. However, I also know that in a real field gun, a plastic stock is a more practical choice, as well as more economical.

I think one could easily draw a parallel between the design aesthetic of guns vs. bikes too, if one felt like it, but it would probably be like an oil thread, so I personally, am NOT going to go there.

Guns, like any other tool, are highly personal, and maybe more than most.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #29033
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,578
The I LOVE THIS GUN Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
What Glock did was to design a gun that could be cranked out cheaply on ordinary mass production machinery. There was very little thought given to aesthetics, if any. It's the same philosophy that Kalashnikov used. Ugly but functional.
TTPete, you said a mouthful! I'm a 1911/Hi-Power guy but own three Glocks that are secreted about the home for self-defense purposes. When I was in service, as a combat photographer, I carried an M-3 "Grease Gun." Talk about ugly! That thing sure would shoot, though. Here's an old photo of me toting that thing.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #29034
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,606
At one point I ordered a new S&W Model 60, basically a 5 shot Chief Special in stainless. We were limited to Colt, too expensive, or Smiths. This gun when it arrived was the biggest piece of shit I ever had the displeasure of owning.

When I first got it, I couldn't get the hammer to fully cock on single action. I took off the grips to look at the mainspring, and there was a large curl of metal in there. Removing it allowed the gun to function. Or so I thought.

There's a piece machined into the frame that sticks out a little and prevents the cylinder from coming out of the crane when the cylinder is open. They had not machined it down enough, so when loaded, the head of a cartridge would catch in it, and stop the rotation of the cylinder. Back to the factory.

Returned a few weeks later after begging for a quick return as it was a duty gun. I wouldn't carry this thing after that until I was sure it would function. Took it to the range, and it spit lead out the side like crazy. The cylinder wasn't lining up properly with the barrel, and it was shaving lead off the bullets. Back to the factory again.

Upon return, I took it to a dealer and traded it in on something else.

Where's this story going?

Some years later we transitioned to Glocks. We spent 3 days at the range firing, disassembling, cleaning, dry firing, doing malfunction drills, etc. I had a G26, mini Glock, not nearly as pretty as a stainless Chief. That Glock went bang every time I pulled the trigger and never had one problem with it all the years I carried it. Did I mention this gun was about the size of the 5 shot Chief but held 11 rounds of a more powerful cartridge? It also had real sights, and tritium night sights at that. Very easy to be accurate with it.

Pretty is as pretty does. Of course I wasn't shooting somebody's POS reloads, so I guess it wasn't a real test.

I'll take an ugly Glock anytime.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #29035
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooga View Post
You've really got to be kidding. It's all those things in spade. Just ugly. It's the most reliable auto going. And pretty effective and very accurate. Even the baby Glocks. Anyway, I know you're just trolling.
Nope, not trolling. I am a professional LEO who is required to carry a Glock. The three I have been issued are the most un-reliable, and therefore ineffective guns I have ever experienced. I have also benn an NRA Instructor and Training Counselor, and been around quite a few that have been less than reliable. If you want details, just search this thread. I have posted my experiences with Glocks several times in the past.

And none of the guns that I have personally had that malfunctioned were fed anything but nice shiny new factory Federal and Speer ammo. There was some experimenting with lead bullet handloads and custom barrels, but we never had any malfunctions due to those, and that would not have been the gun's fault anyway.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper

Andyinhilo screwed with this post 03-18-2013 at 07:44 PM
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #29036
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,169
Two sides of the same gun. Sounds like the old KLR sucks vs Klr is awesome discussions that used to go on. Sorry those who've had bad Glocks didn't have the experience I have had with mine.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #29037
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 6,131
If you can't buttstroke someone, and leave them with a splinter as a souvenir, it's not a shotgun.
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:20 PM   #29038
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Commander View Post
If you can't buttstroke someone, and leave them with a splinter as a souvenir, it's not a shotgun.
then you need to learn how to buttstroke someone... I've broken the stock on a synthetic and left pieces embedded. Yes I ran out of rounds, yes the adrenaline was flowing, and no I was not in the US...
Big Bird 928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #29039
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 6,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird 928 View Post
then you need to learn how to buttstroke someone... I've broken the stock on a synthetic and left pieces embedded. Yes I ran out of rounds, yes the adrenaline was flowing, and no I was not in the US...
So... you're saying the exact same thing I was. I guess you don't know how to buttstroke either. Let's call Clint Smith and see if he can give us some training.
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #29040
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,353
The real question...

is what type of carry do ya'all prefer for your Glocks, when lying prone and changing oil? IWB? Pocket?

And when you are lying in the prone, carrying your Glock (either IWB or pocket), and changing your oil, what do you guys think is best?

Synthetic or Dino?

KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: