Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 863 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #29206
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
So what's considered the best load for these things, #4's or #6's? 2 3/4" work well, or do you have to go to 3" or bigger? Wonder if the ammo companies will come out with a special load and box, "Drone Busters", like the "Zombie Ammo"?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861738
You will get a million opinions.

At close range, even 7-1/2 will do the job. A lot of people say that 4 works and won't make big holes in walls - i.e. safer.

I found boxes of milsurp 00 - 9 pellets per 2-3/4" shell at Wallyworld for about a buck each and bought 3 boxes of 5 rounds for the supply. I have a double barrel sporting gun, won't get many shots off...

We shot pumpkins with slugs and was amused at how little was left, that was out of my buddies 870 pump gun.

I figure if you have #4 turkey loads in stock, use 'em and be happy. After all, only a fool or someone with a death wish would stick around for a second shot.

Unless you are using the gun as an entry weapon - cop or military, I sort of question the need for the specialty shotgun ammo for home defense.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #29207
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Shoot an odd calibre?

Don't know if this has been posted, but browsing www.fivesevenammo.com showed that they have a lot of PPI ammo in some of the rare loadings, if you are looking for something of that nature, you might want to check 'em out.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Old 03-24-2013, 10:13 AM   #29208
Medicine Creek

Oddometer: 9,447
pheasants forever banquet last night.

i won.

Medicine Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #29209
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Wow, nice prize. Tell us a bit more.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #29210
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
How nice to be a gun enthusiast and actually win a gun as a prize. Congrats!
Old 03-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #29211
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicine Creek View Post
pheasants forever banquet last night.

i won.
Got to a dinner, take home a Browning. I'm so jealous!

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #29212
Medicine Creek

it is a browning silver hunter 12 gauge 28 inch barrel. you buy tickets and they draw out of a hat.

i don't know if you've ever been to a pheasants forever banquet but it's three hours of pheasant painting print, deer antler coat hanger, chainsaw pheasant art and hunting knife auctions intermingled with an occasional gun raffle or auction. people buy the weirdest shit.

after you win a gun, unless yer a kid, they ask you to donate it back so they can auction it off. i wanted a new shotgun anyway, so i donated $500 back to them and kept it.

the pheasants forever laser etching is cool and all but it is gonna get used.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #29213
Medicine Creek

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFlow View Post
How nice to be a gun enthusiast and actually win a gun as a prize. Congrats!
thank you, it's the first gun i've ever won. i had the chance to take one home years ago, but i'd been out drinking with my brother in law all day before hand so i chose the optional diamond necklase instead. it didn't really help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Got to a dinner, take home a Browning. I'm so jealous!
don't be to jealous, it wasn't even quite a wash in the end.

but my kid did buy a one day guided turkey hunt that was donated by an old friend of mine. so it was all money well spent.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #29214
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
Bing-fucking-o.

If you live in anything other than a compound, your house isn't defensible. All that stockpile of 25,000,000,000,000 rounds of .223 is going to do is provide ammoe for the next person who comes along after you had to leave.

For "SHTF", xombie apockyclips, civil unrest, or tea party tax revolt purposes, you need no more than you can carry with the stuff on your back because chances are you're going to get swept up with getting the fuck outta town with everyone else.

Now, if you're planning on going through that ammoe a little at a time at the range or shooting with friends, that's an entirely different story and I hope you have a good time with it.
Translation..your significant other wont let you buy anything without permission.. Not that's there's anything wrong with that..

Nice Browning score Medicine Creek!
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #29215
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays-f800gs View Post
Finally got out and shot 50rds thru my new XDm 9mm with my boys! It's nothing fancy, buy it's a great shooting gun. The 19+1 magazines are a nice bonus.
My shooting buddy has one of those, he likes it but worries that he is a better shot with his M+P.

His is a .40 though, IIRC. His M+P is a 9.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #29216
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBaloo22 View Post
I really like this gun. When I bought my Berreta storm I tried to get the FNX in 9 ,none in stock. I really wanted one, they are great AND "made" right up the road from me. A friend of mines Dad built your gun. Maybe get one a little later because my wife WILL kill me if I tried it again so soon.
How do you like your Storm? Do you have the "compact" 4" barrel?

Old 03-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #29217
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
You will get a million opinions.

At close range, even 7-1/2 will do the job. A lot of people say that 4 works and won't make big holes in walls - i.e. safer.

I found boxes of milsurp 00 - 9 pellets per 2-3/4" shell at Wallyworld for about a buck each and bought 3 boxes of 5 rounds for the supply. I have a double barrel sporting gun, won't get many shots off...

We shot pumpkins with slugs and was amused at how little was left, that was out of my buddies 870 pump gun.

I figure if you have #4 turkey loads in stock, use 'em and be happy. After all, only a fool or someone with a death wish would stick around for a second shot.

Unless you are using the gun as an entry weapon - cop or military, I sort of question the need for the specialty shotgun ammo for home defense.

Hmmmm... my post was a spoof on what's the correct size shot to use in shooting down the homemade drones on the link I attached, nothing really to do with home defense.

But thanks anyway.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #29218
Hoots Magoon
Hey ya'll, Watch this!

Oddometer: 1,240
My new .45.

Hoots Magoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #29219
Paddle007
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
What is there not to like about case hardening?
Paddle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #29220
a65l
Wise guy, eh?

Oddometer: 1,293
That looks like the groups I got from my 5-7. I expected a lot more from it. I put a couple hundred rounds through it, and when the groups never tightened up I traded it for something else.... that cooincidentally dosen't shoot very well either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post

25 yards - trying to learn the sight picture - OK, I'll cop to using a rest. I hope my shooting will eventually get better - this aught to be a lot easier to get all in the black at this distance.

Next time I'll go to the longer range and try 50 yards and 100. Heck, no doubt I'll take a shot at the 200 yard gong.

a65l screwed with this post 03-24-2013 at 08:13 PM
a65l is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: