Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 681 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #29521
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,790
Wow!

Was out to the range today and ran across a young fellow with a new Plastic framed S&W .45 auto. Not sure what model but only cost $500. or so. What a lousy trigger. No way in the world could you get any accuracy out of it. It must have been 15lbs and had to pull it so far back. Recoil was bad too. Can only compare it to my .45 1911 Kimber. Didn't think S&W could make such a POS. He was talking about getting a Rock Island 1911. Tried to talk him into the new Ruger 1911 .45. Hey but what do I know? Only been shooting 30 years or so.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #29522
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,033
From what I've read from people that actually have a Rock Island, they are pretty good guns, especially for the price.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #29523
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
From what I've read from people that actually have a Rock Island, they are pretty good guns, especially for the price.
If you are talking about RIA 1911's, I have a base model that has some minor work to make it more my style. This is my carry gun, it gets beat to hell so I won't trade it for a kimber, for the price it is a great gun that I have never had a fire or feed failure with (except 1 round that had no powder in it, so not the guns fault) though I do need to change the barrel soon as it is about shot out.
Big Bird 928 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:49 AM   #29524
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,367
[QUOTE=MightyChosen1;21245558]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post

My grandfather bought it at a surplus sale right after the war for $25. I guess they came thru town via train and sold off goods right off the cars. You could buy just about anything, Mess hall tents complete with dishes and silverware, ,buildings and such . His buddy even bought a Harley with a sidecar still in the crate for $150 if I remember right.

I have had a lot of pretty good offers on it and rarely take it out anymore. I have to pretty much tell everyone that comes up to me at the range its not for sale. I'm kind of sentimental about this one and doubt I will ever sell it.

Cool story, hang on to it....it could be retirement.....did you get the bayonette....those go for more than the rifle in some cases.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:10 AM   #29525
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird 928 View Post
If you are talking about RIA 1911's, I have a base model that has some minor work to make it more my style. This is my carry gun, it gets beat to hell so I won't trade it for a kimber, for the price it is a great gun that I have never had a fire or feed failure with (except 1 round that had no powder in it, so not the guns fault) though I do need to change the barrel soon as it is about shot out.
Tons of stories out there like this one. So I got one too. Used for $500 with a bunch of Wilson Parts.

Its now my truck gun
Old 04-23-2013, 06:20 AM   #29526
RYANINMICHIGAN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Quote:

Sign me up too. I have had one for four years. I shot the shit out of that gun and I have never had one issue. I have the Tac model. It shoots every bit as good as a gun three times as expensive.
RYANINMICHIGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #29527
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY View Post
Tons of stories out there like this one. So I got one too. Used for $500 with a bunch of Wilson Parts.

Its now my truck gun
You have a Johnson for a truck gun....ahh I hope not.

My Arasaka Type 99 I bought from the guy that picked it up off the battlefield. It sat by his fireplace for 40 years.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #29528
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,765
OT, but worth a mention. I'm trying to sell a 1973 Honda. I'm at work today, and I'm researching a few guns. Coworker looks over my shoulder and proceeds with "Oooh, what's that? You buying one?" I replied, "No, I'm thinking of trading a motorcycle for this."

The room full of Soldiers stops. "Wait, you're going to trade a motorcycle for guns!?"

At least my wife gets it....
Old 04-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #29529
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by RYANINMICHIGAN View Post
Sign me up too. I have had one for four years. I shot the shit out of that gun and I have never had one issue. I have the Tac model. It shoots every bit as good as a gun three times as expensive.
Same experience here!

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #29530
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,482
Quote:
How many rounds through it?

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:41 PM   #29531
theothersean
dirty boy

Oddometer: 971
does anyone have first hand experience with tannerite targets .
I know that is states on the package that you need a pointed bullet from a high powered rifle at 2000fps or more . Has any one had success using a .22 ?

I know that they make smaller ones specifically for .22 , I am talking about the larger ones , roughly the size of a salsa jar .

a local shop had a 4 pack of the 1/2 pounders for $ 19 which I thought wasn't too bad but I don't own a rifle larger than a .22 , other than a 12 ga. slug gun .
04 prairie 700 (plow duty)
theothersean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #29532
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,415
The larger ones do not go on a .22, but you could tape a .22 type to the bigger one and it would work.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #29533
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
The larger ones do not go on a .22, but you could tape a .22 type to the bigger one and it would work.
Yea, the large ones don't even work out 300 + yards with 223. So a 22 would never do it. But O'Kely's idea sounds like it would work.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:08 PM   #29534
chriso
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by theothersean View Post
does anyone have first hand experience with tannerite targets .
I know that is states on the package that you need a pointed bullet from a high powered rifle at 2000fps or more . Has any one had success using a .22 ?

I know that they make smaller ones specifically for .22 , I am talking about the larger ones , roughly the size of a salsa jar .

a local shop had a 4 pack of the 1/2 pounders for $ 19 which I thought wasn't too bad but I don't own a rifle larger than a .22 , other than a 12 ga. slug gun .
Good excuses for a bigger gun
chriso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:20 AM   #29535
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsman76 View Post
How many rounds through it?
Over 15k.

sent from my abacus.
Big Bird 928 is online now   Reply With Quote