ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 713 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 09:49 AM   #29701
RonS
Out there...
 
RonS's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Dancing with roads
Oddometer: 18,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexBiker View Post
Don't worry about the recoil. With a decent brake, most .338LM will exhibit less felt recoil than a bare muzzle .308. My 11yr old niece can shoot my .338LM on a bench without complaint. On the flip side, the muzzle blast will make you the most unpopular guy at the range. You can blow the hats off everyone within 20' on either side. :)
So I've heard on both accounts. If the scope arrives I'll find out this weekend. The biggest problem is going to be the cost of ammo. Cheapest I've found is Sellier & Bellot at ~$3 a shot. Lapua is twice that. I'll be reloading eventually but even that is spendy.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #29702
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
I'm very intrigued by the Eliminator 3 mentioned above. Anybody got any real world experience with that scope?

http://www.burrisoptics.com/eliminatorIII.html


If it does what it says it will do it sure looks like an alternative to learning mil dot ranging and wind drift and such. I like the fact it has built in compensation and a range finder.....it would be great for a shooter who can't train all the time to keep up the disciplines of long range shooting, which is most of us these days with the price and scarcity of wammo and such.
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:56 AM   #29703
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS View Post
So I've heard on both accounts. If the scope arrives I'll find out this weekend. The biggest problem is going to be the cost of ammo. Cheapest I've found is Sellier & Bellot at ~$3 a shot. Lapua is twice that. I'll be reloading eventually but even that is spendy.
Tell me about it. This is why the Erma SR100 sits in the safe. Well that and it is worth 25K now.....
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #29704
RonS
Out there...
 
RonS's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Dancing with roads
Oddometer: 18,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo Gadget View Post
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Not as bad as you'd think. The street price on the rifle is only $300 more than a Remington 700 in .308 or .300 win mag. That's less than 1/5 the price of what some of these folks are are coughing up for their McMillan's and quite a bit less than some of the pistols I've seen posted here. The scope, well let's just say that this scope will be over twice the price of any other scope I've ever bought but it is still less than half the price of what some people who are in to long range shooting are mounting on their LR rifles. I'll need to add a 20 MOA wedge at some point to reach beyond 800 yards as this scope does not have the MOA adjustment range that some of the high end stuff does. That is cheap though. Worth it to me for the laser range finding, automatic bullet drop compensation and the wind drift assistance it provides. I like my toys to do my thinking for me.

All and all this is an entry level kit when it comes to the sport of Long Range shooting.

Now the ammo, that is spendy but it's not like I'll be pumping the kind of volume through it that you'd pump through a .22 or .223 or even a .308.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #29705
RonS
Out there...
 
RonS's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Dancing with roads
Oddometer: 18,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Tell me about it. This is why the Erma SR100 sits in the safe. Well that and it is worth 25K now.....
Holy shit! You know, when you have an addiction problem (addiction to toys that is) it's comforting to know that there are those who have a much bigger problem than you do.

Yeah, this is just an entry level kit. Even at that it should provide plenty of entertainment. I get the feeling though that this LR stuff might be a lot like golf as in taking it to the next level requires an enormous amount of time and money. I have neither in great abundance so hopefully this will satisfy the itch to try it out.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #29706
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome
 
RidingDonkeys's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Pines, North Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 7,869
When I was stationed in Germany, I did a fair amount of hunting and shooting with a much older friend who had spent more time as a sniper than any one man should. He was an exceptional shooter, and well into his 60's, he would routinely go run circles around the Bundeswehr's best at long range matches.

He caught me checking out a Blaser R93 one day. I had been drooling over it for quite some time, and I was about to make the purchase, which was more than two month's pay at that point in my career. He came up to me and said, "Whatcha gonna do with that thing?" I said "Hunt with it." He replied, "Well, you know the German rule. You should spend double the gun price on a scope. So do you have half a year's salary to play with?"

He was right, and he had me. A rifle is only as good as its scope. I ended up with a nice used Tikka T3, and a nice new Zeiss scope.
__________________
Sit Stay Ride: The Story of America's Sidecar Dogs
More info at www.sidecardogs.com

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #29707
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS View Post
Holy shit! You know, when you have an addiction problem (addiction to toys that is) it's comforting to know that there are those who have a much bigger problem than you do.

Yeah, this is just an entry level kit. Even at that it should provide plenty of entertainment. I get the feeling though that this LR stuff might be a lot like golf as in taking it to the next level requires an enormous amount of time and money. I have neither in great abundance so hopefully this will satisfy the itch to try it out.
I have never found a sport that doesn't lead to a money pit. However, I got lucky with my Erma, bought it when no one knew what they were, and got it cheap before the sniper rifle craze hit. I paid 3500 for it and it is worth 25+ now since I have all three calibers.
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #29708
RonS
Out there...
 
RonS's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Dancing with roads
Oddometer: 18,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
When I was stationed in Germany, I did a fair amount of hunting and shooting with a much older friend who had spent more time as a sniper than any one man should. He was an exceptional shooter, and well into his 60's, he would routinely go run circles around the Bundeswehr's best at long range matches.

He caught me checking out a Blaser R93 one day. I had been drooling over it for quite some time, and I was about to make the purchase, which was more than two month's pay at that point in my career. He came up to me and said, "Whatcha gonna do with that thing?" I said "Hunt with it." He replied, "Well, you know the German rule. You should spend double the gun price on a scope. So do you have half a year's salary to play with?"

He was right, and he had me. A rifle is only as good as its scope. I ended up with a nice used Tikka T3, and a nice new Zeiss scope.
Yeah I've been into optics for decades now (APO refractors like Televue and Takihashi for astronomy, APO binos, L series lenses for cameras and such) and I can see the logic in that. I love good glass but my fanny puckers when I think about dropping $3500 on a Zeiss with a 34mm tube and 70mm objective for something that is just a novelty at this point. That and my wife (who is the sensible one when it comes to the allocation of our limited resources) would have my ball sack removed and turned into a coin purse if I did and I could not fault her logic in the matter. IMO Burris is currently the best value in glass that I've found. I like it much better than any of the other mid-range glass like Nikon or even the mid-range Leupold and as a software engineer who has a pretty good idea of the complexity of the firmware in that Eliminator III, I really like the technology.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #29709
RonS
Out there...
 
RonS's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Dancing with roads
Oddometer: 18,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
I have never found a sport that doesn't lead to a money pit. However, I got lucky with my Erma, bought it when no one knew what they were, and got it cheap before the sniper rifle craze hit. I paid 3500 for it and it is worth 25+ now since I have all three calibers.
That's fantastic! It seems like more and more people are getting into shooting these days and the price just keeps climbing. When I lived in Seattle some 15 years ago I would never mention that I owned firearms as everyone would assume that you were mentally deficient or deranged in some manor. I'm still over there frequently and now days it is different. One young guy over there bought his first gun two years ago, he's up to nine now. Another guy bought his first gun just six months ago. He's got a target hanging on the wall in his office shot full of bullet holes and there have been no complaints to HR that I'm aware of. I gave him shit about the loose grouping on the first target he had on display. Next time I was there he had a new target hung up with a much tighter pattern.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #29710
TexBiker
Studly Adventurer
 
TexBiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: East Texas
Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
People in the know hate that style brake at the ranges. In fact, some ranges will not allow you to shoot a so equipped rifle anywhere near other shooters. Our range makes those with them shoot at the far lanes.
Yep. They (the brakes) are completely obnoxious for the people around you. I have a 1500m range in my backyard, my next door neighbor is 9 miles away and I no longer compete, so I only have to worry about annoying the squirrels. And they haven't complained much after they saw what happened to the last one that bitched about the noise!

But if you're a competition shooter putting 200rds downrange in a session, a good brake will keep you out of the orthopedic surgeon's office.
__________________
Suppose you were an idiot...And suppose you were a member of Congress...But I repeat myself.

-Mark Twain

TexBiker screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 11:14 AM
TexBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #29711
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome
 
RidingDonkeys's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Pines, North Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 7,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS View Post
Yeah I've been into optics for decades now (APO refractors like Televue and Takihashi for astronomy, APO binos, L series lenses for cameras and such) and I can see the logic in that. I love good glass but my fanny puckers when I think about dropping $3500 on a Zeiss with a 34mm tube and 70mm objective for something that is just a novelty at this point. That and my wife (who is the sensible one when it comes to the allocation of our limited resources) would have my ball sack removed and turned into a coin purse if I did and I could not fault her logic in the matter. IMO Burris is currently the best value in glass that I've found. I like it much better than any of the other mid-range glass like Nikon or even the mid-range Leupold and as a software engineer who has a pretty good idea of the complexity of the firmware in that Eliminator III, I really like the technology.
I'm in agreement. I went with the very best I could afford for my hunting rifle. However, for "toys" that don't put food on the table, I'll cut a few corners. I'm quite interested in that Burris.
__________________
Sit Stay Ride: The Story of America's Sidecar Dogs
More info at www.sidecardogs.com

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #29712
RonS
Out there...
 
RonS's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Dancing with roads
Oddometer: 18,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
I'm in agreement. I went with the very best I could afford for my hunting rifle. However, for "toys" that don't put food on the table, I'll cut a few corners. I'm quite interested in that Burris.
I'm interested as well. I'll report back when it arrives and I get a chance to play with it. The folks over at the long range hunting site seem to quite like it.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:04 PM   #29713
VegasKLRider
Beastly Adventurer
 
VegasKLRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Oddometer: 2,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
People in the know hate that style brake at the ranges. In fact, some ranges will not allow you to shoot a so equipped rifle anywhere near other shooters. Our range makes those with them shoot at the far lanes.
Yeah- I've got a Armalite BR-50 with a similar brake. Nobody can be under the same roof when I light that bastard off. Guys on the other ranges (100+ yds away) stop what they are doing. Still better than the damn shark gill brake on my buddy's M-82 though.... that thing flat out SUCKS!
__________________
I was born... I shall die... but the time in between is mine.


WWJWD?

What Would John Wayne Do?

Southwest Riders visit www.my2wheels.com.
VegasKLRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:15 AM   #29714
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer
 
GoGo Gadget's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Oddometer: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS View Post
Not as bad as you'd think. .
Oh, I was talking about the ammo. My buddy has the same rifle. Fun to shoot. I am just glad he buys the ammo for it.
__________________
I don't know how or when I'll die, but I know someone will be holding my beer for me when I do.


I have been told I have the body of a God. What does this Buddha guy look like?
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #29715
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,306
Well, the Scorpion is winging its way back to Sig for the fresh cerakote and a few tricks. I asked if they can redo the slide black and the frame back to the standard Desert Tan so it'll look tricker and be a little more forgiving with the retention holster I use. It'll also be the only two tone Sig Sauer Scorpion 1911R Sig has ever done! In case nonya have seen a Sig Scorp...here's mine when I got it.

__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!

Sniper X screwed with this post 05-24-2013 at 01:12 PM
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014