Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 714 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #29776
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I sometimes carry a 340PD, a J-frame made of Scandium and titanium, so very light-weight, in a pocket holster. Only 5 shots, like your 36, but again, I believe I read somewhere that the average SD gunfight takes place within 5 yards and that between 2 and 3 rounds are fired. Again, I understand that averages are just that, but I'm trying to recall a SD shooting that got any publicity where the good-guy ran out of ammo while the fight was still ongoing. Maybe it has happened, probably has, but I don't think it is as commonplace as winning the PowerBall.

I did get an 8 shot 327 to carry on my bike, both moto and bicycle. Nice to have a few extra rounds, but the real life practical necessity is undoubtedly very remote and hypothetical.
http://www.policeone.com/patrol-issu...mo-on-the-job/

That said, this was not a self-defense shoot, it was a LEO trying to apprehend a criminal. Most of us will never have to use a firearm in self-defense, much less try to apprehend an armed criminal.

Most of the time I go unarmed, occasionally I carry, usually not for self-defense though. Just the same, it is better to have something than not.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #29777
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,625
My newest aquisition. 5 shot quarter size group at 100yrds with cheap bulk .223. I'll take it. Coyotes are bigger than that, so this should do the trick.

2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #29778
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,876
That will do for coyotes just fine. Nice looking rifle!

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #29779
Celtic Curmudgeon
Indiana Jones wanabe

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
My newest aquisition. 5 shot quarter size group at 100yrds with cheap bulk .223. I'll take it. Coyotes are bigger than that, so this should do the trick.

Nice! That's the Precision Carbine, right? I've long thought that was a more liveable and useable approach than the 26" howitzer profile "crew served" bolt gun. I had a Rem 700 VS that would shoot astounding groups, but I never used it for anything but punching range paper, just too long and heavy.

I just bought a Savage 11 Hog Hunter in 308, plan to mount a 10x mildot Bushnell Elite that I've had laying around for years. (yes, "elite" and "Bushnell" in the same sentence, I snickered, too) Should be a nice low-budget do-it-all truck gun.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #29780
MrFurious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
My latest concoction...

It started life as a LH Savage Axis in .25-06 Rem. The action was trued and timed, and the face was milled flat to accept a standard recoil lug. Crappy stock trigger was tossed in favor of a Timney set to a very crisp 1.5lbs. Next was to flute the bolt body and powdercoat the flutes to match the olive in the stock. Last but not least I took the bolt handle to the grinder to give it a nice flat/pancake profile just to be a little different.

Factory barrel was replaced with a Shilen chrome-moly 1-9" twist #5 contour. The cartridge of choice for this build is the .284 Winchester, and the chamber was throated for the 140gr Nosler Partitian bullet. Finished length of the barrel is 23 inches with an 11-degree target crown and a muzzle diameter of 0.690 inches. The action, barrel, bolt handle and other factory finished parts were then media-blasted and parkerized

Stock is a pre-production sample that I was able to get my hands on. It is an ambidextrous pattern with a classic straight comb and a beavertail forend. The beavertail is small enough to fit the hand well for off-hand shooting but is also large enough to shoot well from a medium sized front bag. There are vents in the forend to aid in barrel cooling (more for looks than anything IMO) and the grip are has a slight palm swell for added comfort. Recoil pad is equivalent to a Pachmayr Decelerator, though a standard 1/2" pad will also be available for light recoiling cartridges.

No finish on the stock yet in these pics.

Not too shabby for what started life as an el-cheapo $300 rifle, and all said and done (not counting the scope and rings) I have just a fudge over $1,000 in it.

MrFurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #29781
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,381
[QUOTE=2whlrcr;21604998]My newest aquisition. 5 shot quarter size group at 100yrds with cheap bulk .223. I'll take it. Coyotes are bigger than that, so this should do the trick.

Savage has got their act together
Old 06-09-2013, 10:10 PM   #29782
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 18,375
[QUOTE=Signal;21607992]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post

Savage has got their act together
They are building a lot of nice stuff these days. I'd never owned a Savage until a couple of weeks ago. People bitch about the Accu triggers but I love them and I've had my finger on a lot of good triggers over the years.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:59 AM   #29783
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 10,002
[QUOTE=RonS;21608056]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal View Post

They are building a lot of nice stuff these days. I'd never owned a Savage until a couple of weeks ago. People bitch about the Accu triggers but I love them and I've had my finger on a lot of good triggers over the years.
That is a beautiful gun!

I had a Savage Edge .223 back East, and for a "lower priced" gun I was always impressed how good it shot.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:35 AM   #29784
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
No finish on the stock yet in these pics.

Well done! Being a lefty myself, I'm quite intrigued with your build. I'm looking for a coyote gun project this summer, and you guys are giving me all sorts of ideas with your Savages.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:48 AM   #29785
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

OK, I'm digging into Savage's website, and I notice they have the Predator Hunter Max available in left-hand with the 6.5x284 Norma cartridge. I've heard great things about this round for distance shooting. Anyone have any first hand experience with it?

Old 06-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #29786
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,502
I was at range yesterday with my Five seveN and there was another fella there with an SCAR 17S...whoa was that thing fun to shoot - no scope, iron sights and tracer rounds...who knew that a .308 would ricochet like that? Pity they cost $3K or I'd have one tomorrow - it was in FDE, which means it's not a black rifle...snort.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #29787
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
You might try looking for a 13 or a 65 in 3". These are really nice for carry since they have the fixed sights and therefore a smoother profile. Might be easier to find and maybe a bit less spendy as well.
3" S&W 65

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:45 AM   #29788
MrFurious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
OK, I'm digging into Savage's website, and I notice they have the Predator Hunter Max available in left-hand with the 6.5x284 Norma cartridge. I've heard great things about this round for distance shooting. Anyone have any first hand experience with it?
Being a lefty is what originally drew me to Savage Arms nearly two decades ago as they've always offered the best selection of LH rifles. Remington and the others offer a few, but for years if you wanted something other than a .243, 308, .270 or .30-06 you were SOL with them.

As for the 6.5-284, I have three questions for you....

1. Are you rich?
2. Do you reload?
3. How far are you looking to shoot and what will you be shooting at?

The first two are related as factory ammo is hard to come by and tends to be expensive since it's Norma and Lapua brand. Same holds true for brass, which can also be a pain to get due to the 6.5-284's popularity in the competition circles - especially these days with the panic driven lunatics buying up everything they can get their greedy little hands on.

As for the third question, be realistic as there are plenty of great cartridges out there for long range shooting that will be cheaper to shoot and easier to find than the 6.5-284 (7mm-08 comes to mind, as does the 6.5x55 and .25-06). You mentioned a coyote rifle and seeing that you live in NC I can't imagine you're going to have too many shooting opportunities beyond 300-400 yards so a 1-9 twist .223 or .22-250 would easily get the job done.

One big downside of the 6.5-284 is the barrel life. Competitive shooters will typically replace their 6.5-284 barrels after 1,000 to 1,500 rounds as that's when the accuracy will typically start dropping off. If you're just varmint hunting with it then you could probably stretch it out to 2,000 to 2,500 rounds before the groups opened up beyond an inch or inch and a half (assuming they started in the sub 1/2" range). Lots of variables in the equation, but that's still not a very long life for a barrel.

MrFurious screwed with this post 06-10-2013 at 10:56 AM
MrFurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #29789
TexBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
Just sent this old girl back to S&W to be freshened up a bit. Front sight insert fell out after 35 years and untold thousands of rounds in pin shooting comps. Also has a hint of end-shake that needs to be addressed and the bluing is getting thin.

My dad bought it new 1977 when I was 5 years old and gave it to me when I got into pin shooting in the early 90's. Fun to shoot with full power 240gr loads, but an absolute pussycat with 200gr SPL loads.

Can't wait to get her back in a few months. My son is 5yrs old now, so I'm hoping I can give it to him one day. Hard to beat a 29-2...or any 4" N-Frame, for that matter.

-Mark Twain
TexBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #29790
VegasKLRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
3" S&W 65

I've got one of those with a bobbed trigger. It makes a great "packin pistol" for desert adventures. First chamber has snake shot, the rest have .38Spl +P, 158 gr SWC.

WWJWD?

What Would John Wayne Do?

Southwest Riders visit www.my2wheels.com.
VegasKLRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: