Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 467 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #29806
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
I'm still of the mindset that 6.5mm is overkill for varmint work - including coyotes. Double duece bullets are a lot cheaper and with the right combination will shoot just as flat as any 6 or 6.5mm. You'll get a little more wind drift with the 22 but that's easily accounted for.
I would agree......for the most part. I did have an experience, however, that caused me to wish at the time I had a bigger gun. When I was in college I bought a 220 Swift Ruger 77. Eager to try it out, I borrowed my dad's coyote call and headed out. I found a nice hillside with a panoramic view of some open meadow, perfect coyote country. There was a big bush on the hillside and I hunkered down in front of it, profile eliminated, and began blowing that nasty sounding dying-rabbit call.

45 minutes of blowing, and not a coyote in sight. Not being the most patient hunter who ever lived (I'd make a crappy sniper), I decided to gather my stuff and head out. I stood up and heard a loud bawling behind me. Not 20 feet away, beind the bush, was a good sized black-bear. He'd been sneaking up on my 6, and I'd been paying no attention to what was going on behind me. I'm not sure who was more scared, me or the bear, but he took off......and so did I. I remember momentarily wishing I had my dad's 375H&H!

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #29807
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I would agree......for the most part. I did have an experience, however, that caused me to wish at the time I had a bigger gun. When I was in college I bought a 220 Swift Ruger 77. Eager to try it out, I borrowed my dad's coyote call and headed out. I found a nice hillside with a panoramic view of some open meadow, perfect coyote country. There was a big bush on the hillside and I hunkered down in front of it, profile eliminated, and began blowing that nasty sounding dying-rabbit call.

45 minutes of blowing, and not a coyote in sight. Not being the most patient hunter who ever lived (I'd make a crappy sniper), I decided to gather my stuff and head out. I stood up and heard a loud bawling behind me. Not 20 feet away, beind the bush, was a good sized black-bear. He'd been sneaking up on my 6, and I'd been paying no attention to what was going on behind me. I'm not sure who was more scared, me or the bear, but he took off......and so did I. I remember momentarily wishing I had my dad's 375H&H!
This is why you hunt Coyotes with a .577 Kynoch Nitro Express....
Old 06-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #29808
Mullet Bullet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Got my new light, 630 lumin of retna melting power. Holster is on order as well.

My every day carry as well as uspsa, idpa, steel challenge, and rifle league.

Check Out my Day Trips http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=753176
Mullet Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #29809
wagonpilot
Freeeeze

Oddometer: 1,046
Just installed a 6.5 Creedmor Krieger on my DPMS upper. Waiting on go = no go guages before I break it in. Wanting to see how well I can run an AR platform between 600 and a 1000.

Reloading supplies were readily available this time. Dies, Hornady Brass, 120 Amax, and 140 Sierra Match Kings.... No 140 Amax in sight.

It was fun to do my own work on it. First time for me on the uppers.
wagonpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:52 PM   #29810
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonpilot View Post
Just installed a 6.5 Creedmor Krieger on my DPMS upper. Waiting on go = no go guages before I break it in. Wanting to see how well I can run an AR platform between 600 and a 1000.

Reloading supplies were readily available this time. Dies, Hornady Brass, 120 Amax, and 140 Sierra Match Kings.... No 140 Amax in sight.

Sweet. A buddy took me out to shoot his AR-15 in November. I had fun, so I started shopping around, half interested and then the SHTF in December. I wrote off an AR in my lifetime (retired).

When 'the laws were to be changed' July 1st here in Colorado (15rd max), I decided to buy a Ruger SR9c before the 17 round mags became illegal. But no one had them. (They have 10rd and 17rd mags. Kalif wanted nothing to do with the 16rd mags for my XDM-40 3.8 (winter vacation). My five round snubby just didn't make me comfy (and hurt to shoot ). And ARs in Denver were only available on consignment for stupid money.

I got a chance to go to Steamboat Springs and stopped in a gunshop asking about the Ruger (what's to lose?). Nope, they haven't seen any. Dammit. But they did have an assortment of ARs hanging on the wall; hmmmmmmmmmm. So I thanked them for their time and left. Since this is the first time I'd seen a new AR, and several choices at that, the gears started turning. So I went back the next day asking questions about ARs, having already decided to buy one (as I had done a little shopping and wasn't as completely stupid as before I'd looked at them ). I picked one in my price range (I don't buy cheap crap, but don't buy sumtin' stupid expensive; I'm just a hobby shooter). As I was checking out (M&P 15, not the Sport, for the curious), one of the ole guys (like me), said "Weren't you in here yesterday, looking for the SR9c?" Um, yes I was. "We got one delivered yesterday afternoon."

Well crap, better add that to the bill. WTF, I wanted one, and here it was.

So now I'm shopping for 17 round mags for the SR9c, before July 1st, when they become illegal.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #29811
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post

So now I'm shopping for 17 round mags for the SR9c, before July 1st, when they become illegal.
It was immediate in CT when they passed a 10 round max. We are supposed to register any mags that we have over the 10 round limit. Trouble is no matter who I called, no one seems to know how or where we are to file paperwork. We have till July 1 to register. I looked into different springs for my 14 rd S&W mod. 59 mags that are wound so that only 10 rounds fit. Might just go that route.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #29812
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
It was immediate in CT when they passed a 10 round max. We are supposed to register any mags that we have over the 10 round limit. Trouble is no matter who I called, no one seems to know how or where we are to file paperwork. We have till July 1 to register. I looked into different springs for my 14 rd S&W mod. 59 mags that are wound so that only 10 rounds fit. Might just go that route.
yet another reason these limit laws are idiotic, and get ignored since no one in power knows what to do about them. Trouble is, someone will know how to arrest you for having an unregistered 30rd mag......typical govt bullshit. Glad I live in a state that doesn't pull that shit as they know they would never be able to enforce it.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #29813
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It was immediate in CT when they passed a 10 round max.
Dang, effective immediately.
Quote:
We are supposed to register any mags that we have over the 10 round limit. Trouble is no matter who I called, no one seems to know how or where we are to file paperwork. We have till July 1 to register. I looked into different springs for my 14 rd S&W mod. 59 mags that are wound so that only 10 rounds fit. Might just go that route.
I'm under the impression that our older 16 + mags will be grandfathered, you just won't be able to buy new ones. I hope.

Quote:
Old 06-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #29814
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Dang, effective immediately.
I'm under the impression that our older 16 + mags will be grandfathered, you just won't be able to buy new ones. I hope.
That's correct. The older mags will be grandfathered in and that's the reason the Colorado Sheriffs are fighting the law. As everyone knows magazines don't have serial numbers on them which makes it impossible for a police officer, if they were to check, to tell if something was new or old.

McNeal screwed with this post 06-14-2013 at 01:46 PM
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #29815
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Old 06-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #29816
filthy phil
team FTP

Oddometer: 802
2- 9's and a 10mm

Sig 45 and colt 6920

I ride: 2007 ZX10r

filthy phil screwed with this post 06-15-2013 at 08:36 AM
filthy phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #29817
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonpilot View Post

Sounds nice. Post up some targets at 600 when you get them.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #29818
fishwich
El Borbah

Oddometer: 1,592
Actually went shooting this morning.

My Winchester Mdl 94 .25-35. Mid 1940s manufacture and JC Higgins Mdl 44DLM in .22 Mag. 1963 manufacture.
The JC Higgins was the 1st rifle I ever shot. I was 3 and we were at my grandmothers place in Delaware. My Dad helped me hold it while I pulled the trigger. Seemed like I was shooting a cannon at the time.
But i was hooked.

BTW, I shot a box of Sellier & Bellot 6.5 x 52mm ammo in place of .25-35 WCF. Sportsmans Guide was selling it a a substitute a few years ago.
Some internet scuttlebutt warned against it as it was not identical in dimensions and the casings would split, etc. but I experienced no issues whatsoever.
fishwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #29819
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,291
Any opinions on a Bushmaster "Carbon" Ar 15,carbon upper, 16" tube, cheap red dot, 30 rd mag included $850 locally
Old 06-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #29820
rivers
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal View Post
Any opinions on a Bushmaster "Carbon" Ar 15,carbon upper, 16" tube, cheap red dot, 30 rd mag included $850 locally
I would pass on the carbon uppers and lowers...YMMV

There is a Colt LE 6920 at my local Walmart for $1,087
rivers is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: