User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 172 votes, 4.83 average. Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #29986
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,222
[QUOTE=urbancowboy;21844493]"One size does not fit all. The military has options, and elite units use weapons other than the issue Beretta. Many police agencies provide for women and others with smaller hands by having alternative weapons choices."

You consistently find operators world wide and in US forces with a 1911 in their holster.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #29987
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 5,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancowboy View Post
"One size does not fit all. The military has options, and elite units use weapons other than the issue Beretta. Many police agencies provide for women and others with smaller hands by having alternative weapons choices."

You consistently find operators world wide and in US forces with a 1911 in their holster.
Very true. Many of which are sporting WWII frames.
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #29988
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,209
I love that term, operator.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #29989
duckman
unindited co consperitor

Oddometer: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancowboy View Post
these guys have the dies, if you want to make your own.

http://www.ch4d.com/dies/calibers/ca...er&query=12.17

trimming the cases would be a pain though.

i've got a single stage press, let me know if i can help. not a reloading expert, and i don't cast.

from google i found this:

"Myself and others use 50-70 dies for sizing and seating the 12.7x44R. I'm also using re-formed .348 Win. cases like you.

Once I have the cases fully formed, my process is to take the cases as fired, flare the mouth a little, seat the bullet, then put a little lube on the outside and run it part way up into the sizing die without the decapping stem. Without doing that, I was having problems chambering the rounds as loaded. I have the die set so that it sizes the loaded round just enough to chamber easily. Some rollers have tighter chambers than others, so you might have to experiment a little. Once you get it dialed, it's a fun cartridge to load and shoot."

sounds like a pain in the ass to me.
thanks, may be its time i started loading my own , along with the 12.17 danish rolling block i have a 10.4 vetterli vitalie and they would see more action if i loaded my own ammo.
"sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc" 'we gladly feast on those who would subdue us'
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #29990
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
I love that term, operator.
It drives me up a wall.

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #29991
acesandeights
Asperger

It reminds me of the Jim Croce song.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #29992
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,252
Quote:

HAHAHA. That would be funny to make a video with airsoft retards and use that as the soundtrack.

I have been told I have the body of a God. What does this Buddha guy look like?
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:01 AM   #29993
blake716
nine toes

Oddometer: 8,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Damn! They told me my pistol would be a two week turn round and here it is 5 weeks later. I HATE waiting for a gun I had to send in the post. It was checked in and not sent back yet so I know it is still there but geez! And all it REALLY went back for was to refinish it since the coating was defective.
Holy shit. I meant to ask you about that a few days ago.

When's the last time you heard from Sig?
Old 07-13-2013, 03:24 AM   #29994
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,017
Quote:
Because I didn't get the joke I had to ask Google 'n' YouTube for some help. They came through and I got this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyUdTH2-G1I

And that's funny!

BTW, in a literal term, "operator" is anyone that operates something and I can live with it in that context. But the wink-wink that it refers to some super-ninja-double-top-secret special operations group or individual is just stupid. And doubly stupid when stamped on a commercially available product. As if SOCOM wouldn't issue something without a "operator"--or SOCOM!--stamp on it. Hell, they're LESS likely to issue it with that on it!

I think the German's figured it out a long time ago: Use alphanumeric names.
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:09 AM   #29995
Professor Longhair
Free and easy.......

Oddometer: 770
Hello Gents,

A word from the wise would be appreciated. I recently acquired a 6 1/2" 629 Classic, it's a -3 model(?)

I had a 686 years ago and while similar there are a few differences I thought I'd ask here about. Instead of a spring loaded lock in the barrel underlug that locks the cylinder pin, mine has two ball detents in the crane.

It also has a undercut front sight rather than the ramp types I've seen in all others. The cylinder lock slots have a slight raised burr on the trailing (square) edge, does this indicate a slight timing maladjustment or is this normal? It appears to be in excellent condition otherwise, bore, forcing cone and internal cylinder surfaces are unmarked and it has the smallest cylinder/barrel gap that I've seen.

What is it with revolver timing anyway? I understand that it refers to the precise line up and lock of the cylinder in alignment with the barrel at the instant of firing. What can change this and what is done to remedy deficiencies?

I'm not about to start fiddling with it as it functions just fine, I'd just like to understand it a bit more.

Cheers
Old 07-14-2013, 08:49 AM   #29996
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,237
CZ Redhead??

Looking at getting into trap/skeet/sporting clays. On a budget here and a friend has recommended the CZ Redhead Deluxe in 12G. I'm a shotgun "virgin" here kids, so be gentle.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:05 AM   #29997
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 6,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Looking at getting into trap/skeet/sporting clays. On a budget here and a friend has recommended the CZ Redhead Deluxe in 12G. I'm a shotgun "virgin" here kids, so be gentle.
Lyle
I've heard good things about them. There are also lots of companies importing Turkish shotguns now too. They are well built and inexpensive. Americans seem to be afraid of the Turkish shotguns, but the Turks have been building shotguns longer than Browning has in Japan.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
Old 07-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #29998
acesandeights
Asperger

I have a CZ Bobwhite (I wanted a SxS, not O/U). I like it a lot. I've read good and bad (but more good). Seems (for the most part) those that own CZ shotguns tend to like them and those that don't own them don't like Turkish guns in general.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #29999
Motor31
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,936
I'll try with a few items. While I do not own a model 29 I have owned more than a couple S&W's both early and later vintage.

The undercut front sight is a target adaptation. The idea was to prevent any glare from reflected light being transmitted back to the shooters eye from the front sight.

The locking nothces cut in the cylinder do tend to get a bit of a raised edge on them. Thats from the interaction with the notch and the locking pawl that fits into it. A little bit of an edge is normal and OK. The faster the cylinder rotates, the more force is exerted against the pawl and notch as the pawl stops the cylinder's rotation prior to firing. It tends to "peen" the notch and raise an edge. Lockup should be just before the hammer gets to full cock. Note that the hammer does not travel quite as far back in DA mode as it does when you manually cock it. If the cylinder does not lock up before hammer fall in DA mode it is "out of time". You can "stage" the trigger in DA mode by pulling it back until it is just before the hammer falls. In a S&W it is usually easy to feel a slight increase in trigger pull as the sear gets to the edge. The cylinder should have locked up by then. If you can turn it by hand at that point, get it to a 'smith for adjustment. It's not a job for the average owner. You have to set the cylinder advance pawl and the locking pawl (2 different parts) with the trigger to make the cylnder move and lock up properly. There is no "adjustment" there, it's a situation of proper length parts and or filing to fit. There are also some really small springs involved that can and often do go zinging into the ether if you disassemble the piece all the way. DAMHIK...... Excessive wear of those parts in addition to improper cutting or wear of the angled cuts at the rear of the cylinder can cause timing issues. Having the cylinder aligned with the barrel at firing is a good thing. Having it slightly out of alignment is a bad thing.

Crane lock up has evolved more than once. Some models use the spring loaded ball and detents as a secondary lock and some just use the lock at the front and rear of the cylinder where it mates with the frame and lug under the barrel. Some others have nothing but the rear pin at the rear of the cylinder, it depends on model, caliber and time of manufacture. S&W has made minor adjustments at times to the basic design that do not always match across the production life span. Pinned vs crush fit barrels being one such item.

Did this help at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Longhair View Post
Hello Gents,

A word from the wise would be appreciated. I recently acquired a 6 1/2" 629 Classic, it's a -3 model(?)

I had a 686 years ago and while similar there are a few differences I thought I'd ask here about. Instead of a spring loaded lock in the barrel underlug that locks the cylinder pin, mine has two ball detents in the crane.

It also has a undercut front sight rather than the ramp types I've seen in all others. The cylinder lock slots have a slight raised burr on the trailing (square) edge, does this indicate a slight timing maladjustment or is this normal? It appears to be in excellent condition otherwise, bore, forcing cone and internal cylinder surfaces are unmarked and it has the smallest cylinder/barrel gap that I've seen.

What is it with revolver timing anyway? I understand that it refers to the precise line up and lock of the cylinder in alignment with the barrel at the instant of firing. What can change this and what is done to remedy deficiencies?

I'm not about to start fiddling with it as it functions just fine, I'd just like to understand it a bit more.

Cheers

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #30000
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,237
Quote:
I have a CZ Bobwhite (I wanted a SxS, not O/U). I like it a lot. I've read good and bad (but more good). Seems (for the most part) those that own CZ shotguns tend to like them and those that don't own them don't like Turkish guns in general.
Didn't know CZ was Turkish. Not that that matters to me. What's wrong with Turkish shotguns?
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: