Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 498 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 07:05 AM   #30016
RYANINMICHIGAN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinHead View Post
there but the guy who consistently cleaned everybody's clock was shooting an 870.

I would love to have a O/U trap gun but I grew up of modest means and have been shooting skeet and trap with my 870 for 30 years. It's not the gun that makes you good. I have out shot mroe than my share of silver snipes and other high dollar trap guns. I used trap and skeet as a training tool for hunting so I wanted to use the gun I would be hunting
RYANINMICHIGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #30017
Gingie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
I'm getting back into shooting after a 20 year hiatus. Sold off a bunch of milsurps (.303 and 6.5x55 mostly) and starting with some .22LR. So far I've got a 10/22 with some fun bits added and a MK 2 Savage with a Millett scope:

Gingie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #30018
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripl Nikl View Post
$10K is a pretty expensive AR, but be a legal full auto.

As for a $10K "tactical sniper" rifle, other than color, there's not a lot of difference between a "tactical sniper" rifle and a target rifle. Functionally the biggest difference is the calibers being used. For some of those rifles there's a very small market and between the rifle and the glass, that's what it costs to play. If a guy with a AI rifle is getting outshot by a guy with a Savage rifle/scope combo kit, he may want to ask himself what he's doing with his life. Hopefully the guy with the AI rifle got there because he was exceeding what other rifles could do and need to step up.

Me? I can't shoot that well beyond what .308 and .223 are capable of, so I'm a Savage rifle combo kit kind of guy.
I know man, I just have to pitch a bit of shit towards the black rifle crowd because I can. Yea, you would have to go pretty overboard to put 10K in to a AR platform, but I suppose you could do it - personally, I'd rather put it into an SCAR 17S if I'm getting a modern sporting rifle, but that's me.

I used 'tatical sniper' in sort of an ironic sense as well, the only difference between a target rifle and a sniper rifle is the color of the stock [FDE/Camo] and the use of a superior flash hider/suppressor. And rails, and the tripod...etc. You get the picture I'm sure.

Yea, I'm still trying to buy the .308 Savage. Just cannot yet drop the cash for the gun and the needed glass - which is going to have to be a decent external turret model for benchrest shooting. But I expect to get there pretty soon.

Oh, and I got to lay hands on a Remington R1 [1911 clone] and did not get to strip it down but it feels really nice - and a great price point. I've not been a big 1911 fan, but that one seems pretty decent for the price.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:19 AM   #30019
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Looking at getting into trap/skeet/sporting clays. On a budget here and a friend has recommended the CZ Redhead Deluxe in 12G. I'm a shotgun "virgin" here kids, so be gentle.
Lyle
Also looking at a CZ Canvasback. It's cheaper, and I can get one tomorrow, vs. a six to eight week wait for a Redhead. It'll be a first shotgun, used exclusively for sporting clays and trap. Should I wait, or is the main difference "pretty"?
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #30020
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 17,560
Quote:
Also looking at a CZ Canvasback. It's cheaper, and I can get one tomorrow, vs. a six to eight week wait for a Redhead. It'll be a first shotgun, used exclusively for sporting clays and trap. Should I wait, or is the main difference "pretty"?
Lyle
The Canvasback is a nice shotgun. A little less fancy than the Redhead Deluxe but functionally the same. There are also some Woodcock versions floating around which was their higher end until production of them ceased.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #30021
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,305
Pulled the trigger (tacky, no?) on a Canvasback today. The additional features on the Redhead just aren't worth the $230 extra, and the 6 week wait. It'll take a few days for it to arrive.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #30022
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 17,560
Quote:
Pulled the trigger (tacky, no?) on a Canvasback today. The additional features on the Redhead just aren't worth the $230 extra, and the 6 week wait. It'll take a few days for it to arrive.
Lyle
Congrats man. Get out there and knock down some clays. Put the money you saved into some extended Briley full chokes.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #30023
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,142
Bought a new Browning Buckmark .22 pistol, matte finish with very nice cocobolo wood grips, and a light gathering front sight.

I'd read a lot of complaints about the current crop of .22 pistols, including the Sig and Beretta, having lots of fail to feed, fail to eject, etc. problems with bulk pack ammo and others. The common thought seems to be they need to be worked in, rough edges removed, etc.

I didn't see any Browning problems mentioned, so decided to buy one. Took it to the range today for the first time, met up with another inmate, and I'm happy to report the gun operation was flawless. Zero problems, and on top of that, it even has a nice trigger pull, and a heavy barrel which points nicely. Nice adjustable sights, too.

I tried it with cheap Federal HP bulk ammo, CCI Mini Mags, CCI standard velocity, and Remington high velocity solids. All fed, fired, and ejected perfectly. Shot almost 200 rounds. Was also happy with the accuracy.

The other inmate had a S&W M&P .22, and his was also flawless.

So, after this admittedly unscientific testing, I'm happy to report I'm thrilled with this gun and its performance. The only downside I see is it requires tools, 2 different sized Allen wrenches, to take it down completely for cleaning. The S&W has a take down lever; pull it down, pull it out, and the gun comes apart. Nice.

I'd rate the Browning as 4 1/2 hollow points out of 5.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #30024
DMZ
Castor Bean Addict

Oddometer: 10,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Bought a new Browning Buckmark .22 pistol, matte finish with very nice cocobolo wood grips, and a light gathering front sight.

I'd read a lot of complaints about the current crop of .22 pistols, including the Sig and Beretta, having lots of fail to feed, fail to eject, etc. problems with bulk pack ammo and others. The common thought seems to be they need to be worked in, rough edges removed, etc.

I didn't see any Browning problems mentioned, so decided to buy one. Took it to the range today for the first time, met up with another inmate, and I'm happy to report the gun operation was flawless. Zero problems, and on top of that, it even has a nice trigger pull, and a heavy barrel which points nicely. Nice adjustable sights, too.

I tried it with cheap Federal HP bulk ammo, CCI Mini Mags, CCI standard velocity, and Remington high velocity solids. All fed, fired, and ejected perfectly. Shot almost 200 rounds. Was also happy with the accuracy.

The other inmate had a S&W M&P .22, and his was also flawless.

So, after this admittedly unscientific testing, I'm happy to report I'm thrilled with this gun and its performance. The only downside I see is it requires tools, 2 different sized Allen wrenches, to take it down completely for cleaning. The S&W has a take down lever; pull it down, pull it out, and the gun comes apart. Nice.

I'd rate the Browning as 4 1/2 hollow points out of 5.
Ammo sensitive .22 autos. I had a Walther P22 that was only reliable with certain types of ammo (CCi Mini-Mags, Win 40 gr solids). I got rid of it.

If the pistol won't feed and extract bulk stuff and hyper velocity stuff, I got no use for it.

My 35 year old Ruger MK II has always ate everything I fed it without complaint.
DMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #30025
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
Ammo sensitive .22 autos. I had a Walther P22 that was only reliable with certain types of ammo (CCi Mini-Mags, Win 40 gr solids). I got rid of it.

If the pistol won't feed and extract bulk stuff and hyper velocity stuff, I got no use for it.

My 35 year old Ruger MK II has always ate everything I fed it without complaint.

Precisely. I had a P22. It is the only gun I have ever traded in. I loved the way it felt in my hand, but it was the most ammo finicky gun I've ever owned. It suffered from lots of failure to extract/eject problems. I traded it in on this, and it is my most shot handgun in the collection to date.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #30026
jgrady1982
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post

Precisely. I had a P22. It is the only gun I have ever traded in. I loved the way it felt in my hand, but it was the most ammo finicky gun I've ever owned. It suffered from lots of failure to extract/eject problems. I traded it in on this, and it is my most shot handgun in the collection to date.

I had the same exact issue with my p22, felt great but would always jam. Traded mine in for a mark III with the bull barrel, absolutely love it.
jgrady1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #30027
flyinfuzz
2 Quarts low

Oddometer: 1,723
I must have gotten the only reliable p22 . Had it 3 years and might have had 5 problem rounds out of over a 1000 of whatever is on sale . That said my trusty old ruger Mark II is over 18 years old and has been in the polaris ranger every day . Pull it out and it goes bang.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #30028
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,394
P22 for several years with nary a hiccup.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #30029
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingie View Post
I'm getting back into shooting after a 20 year hiatus. Sold off a bunch of milsurps (.303 and 6.5x55 mostly) and starting with some .22LR. So far I've got a 10/22 with some fun bits added and a MK 2 Savage with a Millett scope:

I really like my MK 2 but it puzzles me with ammo preferences. It shoots Blazer really well, grouping 1/4" at 50 yds, but the good stuff like SK Plus it spits on and shoots not good. Meanwhile both my 10/22 will outshoot the Mk2 when they are using SK Plus.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:27 AM   #30030
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZ View Post

Someone here (Rider?) suggested switching from oil to dry lube for the p22- I gave mine a good cleaning and did just that. I've been using golden bullets and some Armscor I found on sale, and haven't had a single misfire since.
Whoever shows up next better bring ice. -Tom C
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: