User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 152 votes, 4.83 average. Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #30856
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,004
I have experience with the P229 which is similar and I like it. I have had no problems with it, but my daughter limp wrists it and therefore had some malfunctions that nobody else who shot it had (same ammo).

I like the mid to full sized SIGs (the double stack mag guns) - they have a good rep and seem to work fine.

The smaller single stack mag guns like the P938 and P290 are hit and miss, both in function and quality control from what I have read. Which is sad to me as I would like to have either of them as a compact backup to the larger P229.

The P250 also had a bad rep.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:43 AM   #30857
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
I'm rapidly approaching my CCW interview for California, and all signs are pointing to yes.

I've got an XD-40 and a P22 as far as pistols go, so I'm shopping for a good CA-compliant CCW pistol.

I've got a shit-ton of .40cal so for purposes of simplicity would like to keep with that caliber.

I've narrowed it down to the Glock 27 Gen3 .40 9+1

And...
The SIG Sauer p239 Blued .40 7+1

Now based on what I've read/seen, it seems that:

1. Both are phenomenal shooters with excellent reliability, design and construction.
2. The Glock is lighter, costs less, holds more and has a lower profile.
3. The SIG is all-metal, double action with an external hammer.
4. The Glock is basically a 2-finger gun, which takes some getting used to firing.

With these in mind, I should say that I am a fkn giant at 6'3", 300lbs, more Smithy than Homer Simpson with huge hands.

I'm torn, I know Glock folks are absolutely rabid about them, but like Harleys and Hondas, I have this sneaking suspicion that I'm not a Glock guy. (if that makes any sense) I think the subcompact grip on the Glock would drive me absolutely bonkers.

Price isn't really an issue because I'm treating myself due to divorce.

Plus the SIG is fkn sexy.

Thoughts, personal experiences, etc?
As mentioned, the G27 is a bear to shoot, but I understand wanting to keep the same calibered guns. I doubt you'll want to practice much once you actually shoot it. The Sig 239 is not a small gun. We're issued them in .40 cal as a secondary/backup gun and they are the same size as our issued P229R except for having a thinner grip and holding less ammo. They're horribly unreliable unless soaked with lube. I'm a firearms instructor for our agency and very few agents carry them anymore because the jam so much. During quarterly qualifications, not one makes it without jamming. Most agents carry the G26 that they have to buy with their own money (me included) so that says something about them. All of our Sigs in General have been turds and with the recent authorization for us to carry the G17, many have purchased them and started carrying them as a primary using the G26 as a secondary/backup. My first handgun ever was a P239 back when they were made in Germany. Since them the quality has gone way down. We are experiencing cracked slides, broken slide releases, broken trigger and recoil springs, racked barrels, stripped grip screws and loose front sights on our P229s. I went through 3 P229 handguns in the last 7 years and purchased a G17 the moment they were authorized to carry. Admittingly off duty you'll usually find me with a S&W M&P 340 in my pocket, but I would much rather carry my G26 than the P239. If you purchased the G27, you could always buy a 9mm barrel and G26 mags for it down the road and then you'd be able to shoot and carry 9mm in it for less than the price of purchasing 2 guns. They also make .22lr conversions for the G26/27 so you can practice on the cheap. This is great because IIRC, you have to have your weapon listed on your CCW permit (friend has one) so you'd have one gun with three calibers.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #30858
VTvfr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Thanks to a couple of you, I picked this baby up today:

Ruger GP100

Really looking forward to getting the bad boy out to the range!

'07 990 Adv
'07 250 XC-W
(plated)
'03 600RR
(track duty only now)
'94 VFR750 (sold)
VTvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #30859
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Oddometer: 1,721
glock 30

i'm glad we're all getting along and loving BOTH glocks and 1911s these days.

got bit by the new gun/new caliber bug.

ordered a glock 30 gen4. we'll see how long it takes...

i already handload 45acp, and have a few ways to use it up.

my plan for the 30 is to get a conversion barrel for 10mm, and start loading that.

any experience here with either the conversion barrels or loading 10? still not sure which bullets i should start with. 200? 180?
Old 10-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #30860
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancowboy View Post
i'm glad we're all getting along and loving BOTH glocks and 1911s these days.

got bit by the new gun/new caliber bug.

ordered a glock 30 gen4. we'll see how long it takes...

i already handload 45acp, and have a few ways to use it up.

my plan for the 30 is to get a conversion barrel for 10mm, and start loading that.

any experience here with either the conversion barrels or loading 10? still not sure which bullets i should start with. 200? 180?
A note on reloading 10mm.
If you load them near the top end of the power scale, don't reuse the brass more than a couple of times. I had some ruptures way back when I used to reload. I do not recall what the load was, but it was something I got out of a magazine for deer hunting. all of my older brass bulged, cracked or ruptured. No problems with first reloads. I ended up loading my older brass light and didn't have any issues.
I have a Delta Elite, not a Glock so I can't help you with a conversion info.
NOMADS
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #30861
Jayrod1318
Probably drunk

Oddometer: 1,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Live from the range..... Super slow motion catches bullet leaving barrel.

OR

Squib!
Good Catch, Luckily someone less experienced did not fire another round.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #30862
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
About 10 years ago I bought a Leupold Mk IV 16x mil-dot that I had mounted on an AR-50. Nice scope for long-range shooting, but I ended up selling the gun without the scope. I tried to sell the scope locally but had no takers as I wasn't inclined to give it away, and I have been struck by what a bunch of cheap bastiges a large number of gun people can truly be. None of the rifles I have now really "need" that scope. I have a nice M1A NM and thought about putting it on that, but the mounting system for the M1A is a little funky at best, plus I like shooting the Springfield with OEM iron sights, so now I'm thinking about picking up some sort of bolt gun in 308, maybe a Rem. 700 SPS Tactical, to put under the scope.
The REm SPS or a Savage 10 would be very good choices
Edit: though the 20" barrel may be a bit short for a 16x scope (not that the power wouldnt be nice)
Old 10-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #30863
BerndM
Shiftless One

Oddometer: 1,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1318 View Post
Good Catch, Luckily someone less experienced did not fire another round.
That's what happens when you load your own and insert the primer but somehow forget to add the powder.

2012 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
BerndM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:32 AM   #30864
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerndM View Post
That's what happens when you load your own and insert the primer but somehow forget to add the powder.
I would think that the primer alone it would not even make it that far....you can see the groves cut in, I would have thought there would not be enough oomph to get it that far and make the groves
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:22 AM   #30865
John E
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
Bought a new...

Buck Mark .22 yesterday. Found it a week ago at my local gun shop on consignment. Nice pistol, adjustable sights, heavy barrel, small rail already installed and cocobolo wood grips.

Story goes a guy bought it, picked it up, called the store Back wanting to exchange it for something else cause his buddy convinced him the Browning wasn't any good...so they put it in the used case at a decent price and now its mine.

He apparently never even got it home, turned around and drove back to the store to return it. I'm thinking he should have consulted his buddy before he bought it in the first place. He's out the DROS fees and the consignment fees, I get a never been fired pistol to go with my Ruger Mk1.

A good day at the gun shop.

"1952 Vincent Black Lightning"
Richard Thompson
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:29 AM   #30866
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 6,349
I don't need more guns. I really don't. But I love guns, and I love shooting. I have a few stashes of parts taking up space in the garage, and I just got offered a FNAR in trade.

I'd really rather have the cash, but a FNAR is hard to refuse...
Old 10-23-2013, 05:55 AM   #30867
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by John E View Post
He apparently never even got it home, turned around and drove back to the store to return it. I'm thinking he should have consulted his buddy before he bought it in the first place. He's out the DROS fees and the consignment fees...
1) His "buddy" was flat wrong. And 2) some people obviously have more money than brains.

Good find!
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #30868
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 11,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
I don't need more guns. I really don't. But I love guns, and I love shooting. I have a few stashes of parts taking up space in the garage, and I just got offered a FNAR in trade.

I'd really rather have the cash, but a FNAR is hard to refuse...
I'd find that hard to resist.

It's a good thing my LGS does not have an SCAR 17 in stock.

They do have an interesting Remington AR varient in .243 - it's literally a deer AR...if it was not in camo and 1,500 buckersooskis...

There's a guy who buys at least a gun every month here in town - the LGS guy says he's got a safe full of stuff he's never fired and probably never will - can't decide if that's an interesting retirement account or just plain nuts - I know we all fall on a spectrum but there are some interesting fringes I guess.

I'm not sure I understand massive gun ownership of something I'm never going to shoot - but then I think about some of the really hard to find stuff like a pre-ban Thompson SMG that might be too valuable to use very often. Truth be told, I'm way to ignorant to understand the finer points of collecting guns.

I need to get to the range before the temps go down much more. Going to be snow on the ground full time here in not too many more weeks.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #30869
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 11,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by John E View Post
Story goes a guy bought it, picked it up, called the store Back wanting to exchange it for something else cause his buddy convinced him the Browning wasn't any good...so they put it in the used case at a decent price and now its mine.
With friends like that, that former owner aught to unfriend him.

I mean, if someone asked me, I'd give an opinion before they bought it, but afterwards? Kind of dickish IMHO.

Just becuase I don't like a certain choice, does not mean I'm right, lots of others love that particular brand. Just because I like something, does not make it perfect for another person.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:48 AM   #30870
Rich B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTvfr View Post
Thanks to a couple of you, I picked this baby up today:

Ruger GP100

Really looking forward to getting the bad boy out to the range!
Sweet I am looking to pick one of those up in the near future......

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: