User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 850 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 07-14-2014, 11:37 AM   #33166
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,687
IMHO there are plenty of good 380's out there. I love the little Bersa, that thing is claw hammer reliable.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:50 PM   #33167
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
Anybody familiar with the Glock 42? Or have any other recommendations on a "first rule" pocket pistol? LC9? LCP? CW9?
I am unfamiliar with the term "first rule" but do have a G42 and like it. A bit on the large size compared to other pocket 380s, but mine has been very reliable. I don't have a lot of basis for comparison, however, as I've not fired the other guns mentioned.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:29 PM   #33168
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,761
Quote:
Anybody familiar with the Glock 42? Or have any other recommendations on a "first rule" pocket pistol? LC9? LCP? CW9?
Recommendations on an always keep the firearm pointed in a safe direction pocket pistol, or an always treat a firearm as if it is loaded pocket pistol? What is the first rule?

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:51 PM   #33169
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,306
First rule of a gun fight:

I find myself carrying less frequently when it's hot out, IWB holsters are uncomfortable in 100+ heat, and wearing just a t-shirt makes concealment tricky. I feel like if I have a small pocket pistol like a 42 (which is admittedly large for a pocket pistol) I'll carry more often. I started out interested in the LC9, but it's got a weird indented grip that I don't like. I may look at the Kahr CW380/CW9, or the M&P Shield 9mm. I prefer either Striker fired or DAO for carry.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:01 PM   #33170
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,844
I bought a KelTec PF9 for pocket carry on a recommendation from a friend that I had to have a 9mm because a 380 wasn't enough. I never fired it because after trying to not have it "print" it was just too big for my pocket. I'm 6'0" and weigh 200 but it just wouldn't disappear. Ended up with the LCP which doesn't print in an Uncle Mike's #4 pocket holster. I have to be careful because I forget it's there and have had to turn around once when I headed to Massachusetts, 7 miles away where my permit doesn't cut it.

First rule covered because I take it with me, where I might not w/ the PF9
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:11 PM   #33171
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
I bought a KelTec PF9 for pocket carry on a recommendation from a friend that I had to have a 9mm because a 380 wasn't enough. I never fired it because after trying to not have it "print" it was just too big for my pocket. I'm 6'0" and weigh 200 but it just wouldn't disappear. Ended up with the LCP which doesn't print in an Uncle Mike's #4 pocket holster. I have to be careful because I forget it's there and have had to turn around once when I headed to Massachusetts, 7 miles away where my permit doesn't cut it.

First rule covered because I take it with me, where I might not w/ the PF9
Exactly, all the training in the world, practice, preparation, mental prep, wont do a damn bit of good if the gun is at home and you're not.

What holster did you use for the PF9? I saw a holster that was backed with stiff leather in the shape of a pocket and sort of hid the gun. I don't care if the holster prints, as long as it's not the shape of the gun. People will assume it's a cell phone, if they even notice it at all. I'm 6'4" 235-240ish.

I don't understand why 9mm luger pocket pistols are so much bigger then .380? The ".380" is actually a 9x17mm, whereas the "9mm" is 9x19mm. 2mm worth of powder can't make that much of a difference in felt recoil that the guns have to be 15%-25% larger.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:25 PM   #33172
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,661
Quote:
Exactly, all the training in the world, practice, preparation, mental prep, wont do a damn bit of good if the gun is at home and you're not.

What holster did you use for the PF9? I saw a holster that was backed with stiff leather in the shape of a pocket and sort of hid the gun. I don't care if the holster prints, as long as it's not the shape of the gun. People will assume it's a cell phone, if they even notice it at all. I'm 6'4" 235-240ish.

I don't understand why 9mm luger pocket pistols are so much bigger then .380? The ".380" is actually a 9x17mm, whereas the "9mm" is 9x19mm. 2mm worth of powder can't make that much of a difference in felt recoil that the guns have to be 15%-25% larger.
It's because the 9X19 is a bit too much for a blowback type gun. You can't make the slide heavy enough and the recoil spring stiff enough in that size to keep the gun from battering itself to death. Astra made a 9X19 blowback pistol during WWII, and it was something of a failure.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:32 PM   #33173
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,844
Quote:

What holster did you use for the PF9?
I bought the Uncle Mike's #4 for the PF9. That's what they suggested. It works better on LCP. Maybe the next size will hide the PF9 sized guns a bit better, but I really noticed it was in my pocket and was self conscious.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:40 PM   #33174
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,377
Quote:
The Polish Radom P64 I mentioned a page or two ago would be a great CCW, I think. It is the size and appearance of a Walther PPK, and has no sharp edges to snag. It's also quite inexpensive. The downside is that it is rather heavy, but lots of guys pocket carry it. It is chambered for 9x18 Makarov. This round falls somewhere between .380 and 9x19. People who know better than me say it is about equal to a .38 Special.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:08 PM   #33175
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanCT View Post
The Polish Radom P64 I mentioned a page or two ago would be a great CCW, I think. It is the size and appearance of a Walther PPK, and has no sharp edges to snag. It's also quite inexpensive. The downside is that it is rather heavy, but lots of guys pocket carry it. It is chambered for 9x18 Makarov. This round falls somewhere between .380 and 9x19. People who know better than me say it is about equal to a .38 Special.
The round falls exactly between the .380 and the 9mm Luger.

.380=9x17mm

9mm Mark=9x18mm

9mm Luger=9x19mm

Is it a DA/SA? I've found info that says it's DAO and some that say it's a DA/SA. I'm not a fan of those. I like to have the same trigger pull every time. It's probably over-thinking on my part, but I feel like you develop better muscle memory that way. Especially because, in a situation where you need it for self defense, the first shot is going to be the most important, and theoretically the DA trigger action is going to be the one you are the least familiar with, being only one out of every 6 or so rounds you fire (with a pocket pistol). Also, in a high stress situation going from a relatively heavy DA trigger pull to a short SA trigger pull increases the chances of an AD because you're ham fisting the gun. I could be completely wrong here, but that's my opinion.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:19 PM   #33176
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Quote:
The round falls exactly between the .380 and the 9mm Luger.

.380=9x17mm

9mm Mark=9x18mm

9mm Luger=9x19mm

Is it a DA/SA? I've found info that says it's DAO and some that say it's a DA/SA. I'm not a fan of those. I like to have the same trigger pull every time. It's probably over-thinking on my part, but I feel like you develop better muscle memory that way. Especially because, in a situation where you need it for self defense, the first shot is going to be the most important, and theoretically the DA trigger action is going to be the one you are the least familiar with, being only one out of every 6 or so rounds you fire (with a pocket pistol). Also, in a high stress situation going from a relatively heavy DA trigger pull to a short SA trigger pull increases the chances of an AD because you're ham fisting the gun. I could be completely wrong here, but that's my opinion.
I see your logic, although I've never given that aspect much thought before. The P64 is DA/SA, and the DA is notoriously awful - like 25 lbs. This can be remedied easily by a five minute/five dollar spring change. I've left it alone so far. The trigger doesn't reset for SA, so you have to take up the slack.
IBA #23064
Old 07-14-2014, 07:30 PM   #33177
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,135
Glock 42. Looks like a Glock. I'm no fan of Glocks, and have opined that putting the safety in the middle of the trigger is insane. Most of the vids you can find on YouTube of cops shooting themselves in the asscheek in front of a classroom full of kids involves a Glock. I thought long and hard before I picked out this ugly little gun.

But......it's small and light enough to carry in a pocket (I consider 16 ounces, loaded, to be the max for pocket carry), pretty comfortable to shoot (unlike the LCP or similar micro-pistols), and reliable as a hammer. I'd like to see it in 9x19, but decent SD rounds in 380 are pretty effective. I like Federal Premium Hydra-Shock ammo.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:34 PM   #33178
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanCT View Post
I see your logic, although I've never given that aspect much thought before. The P64 is DA/SA, and the DA is notoriously awful - like 25 lbs. This can be remedied easily by a five minute/five dollar spring change. I've left it alone so far. The trigger doesn't reset for SA, so you have to take up the slack.
Can you explain a little more what you mean by this? The trigger pull is the same "length" weather it's DA or SA? I'm assuming the "break" pressure is different once it's in SA?

I came half a RCH from killing two guys in the street who tried to car-jack me. After it all happened I realized exactly how much of my actions were muscle memory and training, which was, by my best guess, roughly somewhere in the neighborhood of 100%.

Ever since then I have been focused on simplifying and streamlining my self defense. That's another thing going for the Glock, no safety.

The P64 is a pretty sweet looking gun though. I'd love to have one in my safe, just for fun.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:05 PM   #33179
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Quote:
Can you explain a little more what you mean by this? The trigger pull is the same "length" weather it's DA or SA? I'm assuming the "break" pressure is different once it's in SA?

I came half a RCH from killing two guys in the street who tried to car-jack me. After it all happened I realized exactly how much of my actions were muscle memory and training, which was, by my best guess, roughly somewhere in the neighborhood of 100%.

Ever since then I have been focused on simplifying and streamlining my self defense. That's another thing going for the Glock, no safety.

The P64 is a pretty sweet looking gun though. I'd love to have one in my safe, just for fun.

What I meant was, when you cock the hammer for SA, the trigger doesn't move back a ways, like it does on a revolver, for example.

There are certainly better modern CCW pistols, but this would do the job. I got it 99.9% for fun. A screaming deal, since these go for just over $200 now, and can be delivered right to your door with a C&R 03ffl.
IBA #23064
Old 07-16-2014, 02:29 PM   #33180
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,164
So tempted today, Gander Mtn has a full size PX4 storm in 45acp for $600. I already have the PX4 in 40S&W and love it so I'm super torn about getting one in 45acp when I hate to duplicate firearms. You know, diversity and all. But for $600.......
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: