Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 842 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 09:11 AM   #12466
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
I stick live .45acp rounds in my ears for ear protection....works great, can't hear a damn thing with em in and they cone out and go in easy. And people at the range just can't help asking me about me earplugs.
.45acp?! You must have some ginormous ear canals!
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:16 AM   #12467
Motoplaner
PNW Heel Rounder

Oddometer: 20,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
I stick live .45acp rounds in my ears for ear protection....works great, can't hear a damn thing with em in and they cone out and go in easy. And people at the range just can't help asking me about me earplugs.
I used to know a Major that'd do the same thing. He'd do that when it was pointed out that he'd just blasted off a couple hundred without any protection.. he either never noticed or didn't care. Kinda old school.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:38 AM   #12468
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Do you shoot any better with other pistols? Sometimes it really is the gun.
No I universally suck with pistols. That's why I haven't adjusted the sights yet

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:49 AM   #12469
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by milq View Post
Slightly OT but I figure it's the best place to ask:

Anyone use an "active" hearing protection setup for hunting? I handgun hunt for deer and wearing foam earplugs really kills my ability to hear much of anything at all.
I shot one last year just a few minutes after removing my earplugs and my right ear rang for hours and hours...I realize one gunshot is not the same as extended shooting but it makes me flinchy just thinking about it and I'm paranoid about damaging my hearing any further.

I missed a chance today because the deer saw me sneaking plugs into my ears....

The full muff options are bad for me due to eyeglasses and the in-ear electronic models are pricey as heck. Peltor/combat arms makes a set with a valve as do other maker. Any opinions?
There is not a cheap option in my opinion (guess that depends on ones definition of cheap). Either you change your eye glass frames for muffs or spend the money on a quality ear plug.
And just an FYI --- one gunshot can, under the right conditions, ruin your hearing and cause permanent ringing in the ear. Guess how I know.
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:06 AM   #12470
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
No I universally suck with pistols. That's why I haven't adjusted the sights yet
Practice dry firing as often as possible. If you have one, practice dry firing with a laser sight or laser bore sight, keeping the laser dot focussed on a spot on the wall. If your technique is good, the laser dot should barely move when you pull the trigger.

Your other enemy aside from trigger control is fatigue. The affects of muscle fatigue are easy to see when dry firing, and you'll soon learn how many rounds you can fire in succession before muscle tremors begin. In practice, I fire no more than 5 to 10 rounds before resting. It makes a big difference in my scores.

Force yourself to take at least one deep breath before each shot. Even a tiny amount of oxygen deprivation will cause your diaphragm to spasm slightly, making it very difficult to hold the sights on target. This will be especially noticeable while using a rifle with a high power scope.

Lastly, discipline yourself not to pull the trigger until your sight picture is as close to perfect as you can manage. The natural propensity to pull the trigger from impatience or fatigue is one of the biggest enemies of accurate shot placement. Even those of us who have shot competitively for decades have a hard time overcoming it.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #12471
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,308
Quote:
.45acp?! You must have some ginormous ear canals!
They don't go all the way in!
Old 12-06-2010, 10:36 AM   #12472
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Practice dry firing as often as possible. If you have one, practice dry firing with a laser sight or laser bore sight, keeping the laser dot focussed on a spot on the wall. If your technique is good, the laser dot should barely move when you pull the trigger.

Your other enemy aside from trigger control is fatigue. The affects of muscle fatigue are easy to see when dry firing, and you'll soon learn how many rounds you can fire in succession before muscle tremors begin. In practice, I fire no more than 5 to 10 rounds before resting. It makes a big difference in my scores.

Force yourself to take at least one deep breath before each shot. Even a tiny amount of oxygen deprivation will cause your diaphragm to spasm slightly, making it very difficult to hold the sights on target. This will be especially noticeable while using a rifle with a high power scope.

Lastly, discipline yourself not to pull the trigger until your sight picture is as close to perfect as you can manage. The natural propensity to pull the trigger from impatience or fatigue is one of the biggest enemies of accurate shot placement. Even those of us who have shot competitively for decades have a hard time overcoming it.
Thanks for all the advice. I have hesitated to do a lot of dry-firing since the Mark III is a rimfire. The manual says it's fine because there is a firing pin stop or block or somesuch thing that keeps it from being damaged, but it also said it could eventually wear out (gawd knows how long that could take on a Ruger ). I'll try to do some dry firing tonight and see if I can find the culprit - I think I probably will.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:36 AM   #12473
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 12,794
Not that I get questions answered here very often, but I thought I's give it another shot.

Redfield Revolution 4-12x40 - about $220 for the one I like
Leopold VX-2 4-12x40 - about $440 for the one I like

Is the Leopold twice as good?

I have a budget of $300, and would be pushing it for the VX-2. Curious if people think it's worth it. I have heard great things about the "new" Redfields.

Also - is the Adj. Objective (on the Leopold) to focus parallax error worth it for the average hunting/target applications?
Old 12-06-2010, 10:43 AM   #12474
Motoplaner
PNW Heel Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
Not that I get questions answered here very often, but I thought I's give it another shot.

I have a budget of $300, and would be pushing it for the VX-2. Curious if people think it's worth it. I have heard great things about the "new" Redfields.

Also - is the Adj. Objective (on the Leopold) to focus parallax error worth it for the average hunting/target applications?
Just because, I'd say Redfield. I've had both and of the two, only own Redfield. I got fair disgusted with Leopold (mainly variable hunting style) some time ago due to no real "click" adjustment.. you'd check your target, do the math and give the knobs some coinage only to find you might as well have just hit the thing with a hammer. Quite maddening trying to regulate the things.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:49 AM   #12475
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 12,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoplaner View Post
Just because, I'd say Redfield. I've had both and of the two, only own Redfield. I got fair disgusted with Leopold (mainly variable hunting style) some time ago due to no real "click" adjustment.. you'd check your target, do the math and give the knobs some coinage only to find you might as well have just hit the thing with a hammer. Quite maddening trying to regulate the things.
I've read that the VX-2's have a crisp click (now?) - and that the VX-1's are friction.

Most Redfield reviews indicate that the clicks are pretty good (both 1/4 MOA), but one guy said that they felt a little cheap. He also said that the Redfield went off center when adjusting the zoom.

Also sounded like the clarity on the Leupold FOV was better.

I only want to do this once.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:56 AM   #12476
Motoplaner
PNW Heel Rounder

Quote:
I've read that the VX-2's have a crisp click (now?) - and that the VX-1's are friction.

Most Redfield reviews indicate that the clicks are pretty good (both 1/4 MOA), but one guy said that they felt a little cheap. He also said that the Redfield went off center when adjusting the zoom.

Also sounded like the clarity on the Leupold FOV was better.

I only want to do this once.
I hear you. I'm actually surprised that the (any) Leopold is still "non-click" - friction.
I'd say also that the Leupold are pretty hardy and crisp but fuck me, I like a scope to do what it's told.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #12477
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I have hesitated to do a lot of dry-firing since the Mark III is a rimfire. The manual says it's fine because there is a firing pin stop or block or somesuch thing that keeps it from being damaged, but it also said it could eventually wear out (gawd knows how long that could take on a Ruger ). I'll try to do some dry firing tonight and see if I can find the culprit - I think I probably will.
When I dry fire, I keep a spent round in the chamber to prevent any damage to the firing pin. There are also plastic dummy rounds you can buy for this purpose. Dry firing is the most important thing you can do, both to learn good technique as well as to maintain it. You learn almost nothing when you fire live rounds because the recoil will mask all of your errors.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:11 AM   #12478
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
When I dry fire, I keep a spent round in the chamber to prevent any damage to the firing pin. There are also plastic dummy rounds you can buy for this purpose. Dry firing is the most important thing you can do, both to learn good technique as well as to maintain it. You learn almost nothing when you fire live rounds because the recoil will mask all of your errors.
Righto, and I will say that at some gunshops they still insist to not dry fire a gun you are looking at whilst others encourage it. I remember way back in the 70s and 80s it was a practice totally frowned upon even though nothing has changed in the way a gun is designed.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:14 AM   #12479
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:

I don't own a redfield but have heard enough good about them that I would not hesitate to buy one if it fit my needs. You get a lot of technology in modern scopes and I suspect at $220 you will be getting a good quality scope that will last a life time with reasonable usage. With your budget I would buy it and use the rest for ammunition and practice.
The value of Parallax adjustment is in interesting question that will get you many different answers. My 2cents is that for "average" recreational shooting it is not needed. But it is a nice option to have and will allow for more precision at varied distances when used correctly.
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:14 AM   #12480
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

TW the only way to marry A trigger is to dry fire the hell out of it.

Sniper X screwed with this post 12-06-2010 at 11:53 AM
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: