Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 155 votes, 4.83 average. Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 08:45 AM   #12571
Uncle Pollo
Santos Vega

Oddometer: 46,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
I need that holster for my 2.5in Python!
It was the little modified uncle mike thing that you saw the other day.

Easy as cake!

IWB + Suit or Sports Coat = hide a helicopter!
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:49 AM   #12572
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Well, the first thing that occurs to me is that any attempt to conceal a proprietary design by making the unit difficult or impossible to dissassemble can be easily defeated at any machine shop. That's how BWE Firearms got started: by buying various silencers and reverse engineering them.
I know, but try to find drawings....that is your question I was answering. I have tried....I would love to reverse engineer some and get up to speed manufacturing them...my own designs that is. But also try to get the right permits and so on needed unless you have a millionaire backer!
Old 12-09-2010, 08:51 AM   #12573
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoplaner View Post
You are doing it wrong.

"No, it's not a silencer. This little doodad is my own invention. I call it a loudener."

Sledge rules.
I would bet a lot of money that one could SELL a loudner in some parts of the US! I know a bunch of Chicanos here in the south Valley who would pay bank for one! All of them have a Pit Bull and twenty foes on they ride yo!
Old 12-09-2010, 08:52 AM   #12574
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

BTW a lot of design of a supressor also goes in to the flash supressor that attaches it to the end of the rifle now too.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:58 AM   #12575
Uncle Pollo
Santos Vega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoplaner View Post
You are doing it wrong.

"No, it's not a silencer. This little doodad is my own invention. I call it a loudener."

Sledge rules.
Snoid to the ruger alaskan in .454 courtesy phone.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:02 AM   #12576
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,601
Quote:
Basically, a supressor is all about canceling out pulses. Like a car miffler, they don't REALLY have to have a larger canister, but better designed baffles in them. As long as the baffles use their design to cancel out the sound BY redirecting the pulses in directions that cancel each other out, the more effecient they become.
This is rather intriguing. In physics class it was demonstrated how sound (represented by a sine wave) can be affectively cancelled by introducing another sine wave of exactly the same frequency, but 50% out of phase with the first sine wave. There are now electronic sound deadening devices on the market that work according to this principle. I suppose that accomplishing that mechanically with an array of baffles is possible in theory, but it would have to be specifically tailored to one cartridge using exactly the same load each time, otherwise the frequency produced would differ.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:09 AM   #12577
Uncle Pollo
Santos Vega

Forget the electronics.

The baffles slow down the gases so they don't go making a lot of noise by pushing a lot of air ... right?

And you only have to clean them once in a while, right?

Other than being easy to put apart, clean, and reassemble, what else is needed?
Old 12-09-2010, 09:14 AM   #12578
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
This is rather intriguing. In physics class it was demonstrated how sound (represented by a sine wave) can be affectively cancelled by introducing another sine wave of exactly the same frequency, but 50% out of phase with the first sine wave. There are now electronic sound deadening devices on the market that work according to this principle. I suppose that accomplishing that mechanically with an array of baffles is possible in theory, but it would have to be specifically tailored to one cartridge using exactly the same load each time, otherwise the frequency produced would differ.
I am NOT a designer, BUT I can say that in my mind, I think there would be so litte difference between say a .55gr .223 bullet, and a .60gr bullet it would only make a negligable difference in sound deadening that it won't be noticable except on a decible meter. I have shot numerous weapons with supressors, and shot a multitude of both subsonic and regular ammo out of them and the only noticeable difference in shooting them is the non subsonic rounds have a small down range crack whic is only a bit noticeable from the shooters standpoint. I can only go from my own experience here so none of what I say is scientific fact, only my own observation in the field.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:16 AM   #12579
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloAsado View Post
Forget the electronics.

The baffles slow down the gases so they don't go making a lot of noise by pushing a lot of air ... right?

And you only have to clean them once in a while, right?

Other than being easy to put apart, clean, and reassemble, what else is needed?
I also have been told some supressors don't even have to be disassembled to be cleaned, shoot a few shots of brake parts cleaner in there, a shot of remoil and you are good for another 1000 rounds.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:52 AM   #12580
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,601
Quote:
I am NOT a designer, BUT I can say that in my mind, I think there would be so litte difference between say a .55gr .223 bullet, and a .60gr bullet it would only make a negligable difference in sound deadening that it won't be noticable except on a decible meter.
But there are going to be much bigger differences than that, especially when considering reloads using different powders, amounts of powder, casings, bullet weights, etc. To the human ear they all go Bang!, but the physical characteristics of each sine wave produced will be pretty significant, IMO.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #12581
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
But there are going to be much bigger differences than that, especially when considering reloads using different powders, amounts of powder, casings, bullet weights, etc. To the human ear they all go Bang!, but the physical characteristics of each sine wave produced will be pretty significant, IMO.
I don't agree they will be aignificantly different at least not enough to warrant a different design in the can....plus, if one is to shoot say an AR with a can, it will be with a specific cartridge or at the most, a redailly available recipe.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #12582
Uncle Pollo
Santos Vega

Quote:
I also have been told some supressors don't even have to be disassembled to be cleaned, shoot a few shots of brake parts cleaner in there, a shot of remoil and you are good for another 1000 rounds.
Or just have a gun loud enough to kill everyone within a ten mile radius and then you don't need a silencer.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:02 AM   #12583
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloAsado View Post
Or just have a gun loud enough to kill everyone within a ten mile radius and then you don't need a silencer.
And some badass hearing protection.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:08 AM   #12584
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
And some badass hearing protection.
Better yet, fired from a remote location.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:45 AM   #12585
toolfan
Broken Hearted

Oddometer: 9,543
Isn't a suppressor essentially the same thing as a car muffler?

I've seen plans for them on the internet. I want to build one on my lathe, but I have no desire to buy a tax stamp, so I won't.
toolfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: