Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 866 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 11:03 AM   #12736
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
As much as I like the P-38 for its inherent accuracy and ergonomics, I have to say that IMO, it represents the worst features of ‘German engineering’, namely, a mania for overcomplicating everything. Considering its intended role as the standard military and police sidearm at a time when Germany was gearing up for a major war, the sensible solution would have been a relatively simple design that could be manufactured quickly and cheaply by moderately skilled workmen. Instead, Carl Walther produced one of the most complicated pistols in history, not just measured in terms of sheer parts count, but by the amount of careful machining required to create it. By way of illustration, here’s a view of just the barrel, which had to be machined from a single piece of steel:

The frame is even worse, requiring so many individual milling steps that it boggles the mind. It's only when you look inside it from various angles that you can appreciate how complicated it truly is. From a manufacturing perspective, there is only one thing I like about it: the fact it's designed so that the plastic grips, not the frame itself (as in the case of other pistols) can be shaped to fit the shooter's hand. This not only simplifies its manufacture, but allows for the possiblity of modifying the plastic grips at a later time without having to redesign the frame. Many modern pistol designs use this approach, and an increasing number of new models even come with replaceable grips.

For us uninitiated types, could you kindly post a view of the slide so it all makes sense?

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:14 AM   #12737
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC950 View Post
compared to a Luger or C-96, the P-38 isn't that complicated. Labor was cheap back then. Making something like the P-38 gave plenty of previously unemployed Germans a job.
The Luger was indeed a nightmare. It was also rather fragile. The C-96, I'm not sure about. I've seen a partially disassembled one, and it didn't look as complex as the P-38. The exploded diagram of one certainly looks simpler (36 parts vs. 55 for the P-38):

http://www.cmrfirearms.com/shop/prod...products_id=71

I'd love to do a 3-D model of a Broomhandle Mauser, but finding someone willing to lend me one is the problem.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:19 AM   #12738
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
For us uninitiated types, could you kindly post a view of the slide so it all makes sense?

I don't have a view of just the slide, but I'll create one tonight. For now, here's a partial assembly view, showing the slide:

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:22 AM   #12739
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,317
I think the P08 was the most overengineered gun of all time....
Old 12-13-2010, 11:35 AM   #12740
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,154
I'm no engineer, but the way the P38 is set up reminds me quite a bit of the Beretta 92/M9 series, suspect the P38 may have been a predecessor of that design, or at least some aspects of it.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:36 AM   #12741
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,703
The germans loved to be on the cutting edge with everything back then, fuel injection in fighter planes, jets, subs....all of that stuff was cutting edge....I think it is that or 1898 nagant revolvers at the other end of the scale. Every nation did new and cutting edge stuff back then...just not in as many areas as the germans did.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:40 AM   #12742
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
I think the P08 was the most overengineered gun of all time....
It doesn't look as bad as I'd thought:

http://www.cmrfirearms.com/shop/prod...57336b5a2febff

The frame is a model of simplicity compared to that of the P-38.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:42 AM   #12743
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
It doesn't look as bad as I'd thought:

http://www.cmrfirearms.com/shop/prod...57336b5a2febff

The frame is a piece of cake compared to that of the P-38.

True, but wait till you get to the toggle....plus the tollerances were so tight, it was a nightmare to build. Plus it was horrid to keep working on the battlefiled.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:47 AM   #12744
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I'm no engineer, but the way the P38 is set up reminds me quite a bit of the Beretta 92/M9 series, suspect the P38 may have been a predecessor of that design, or at least some aspects of it.
Yep, according to my gunsmith, Beretta copied several key aspects of the P-38. Unfortunately the 92F not only contains the same weak point on the slide, but its designers also eliminated the internal lugs which prevent the slide from recoiling into the shooters face when it breaks.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #12745
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
True, but wait till you get to the toggle....plus the tollerances were so tight, it was a nightmare to build. Plus it was horrid to keep working on the battlefiled.
I wonder if its tolerances could have been loosened up for battlefield use. It would also make it easier to build.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:53 AM   #12746
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,475
Who is going to build the next incarnation of the modern broomhandle?
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:57 AM   #12747
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
I wonder if its tolerances could have been loosened up for battlefield use. It would also make it easier to build.
I am sure they could, just like they did with the government 1911s compared to the ones they sold the public later.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:01 PM   #12748
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,672
Question

Sniper et al: where can one find Pre-1940 Mosin Nagant rifles? I recently saw Bud's Gun blow through nearly 2,000 of some vintage but the guess is they were post-1940 models...
Bud's price was $92
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:10 PM   #12749
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22 View Post
Sniper et al: where can one find Pre-1940 Mosin Nagant rifles? I recently saw Bud's Gun blow through nearly 2,000 of some vintage but the guess is they were post-1940 models...
Bud's price was $92
AIM Surplus, Big 5 Sporting Goods, Century Arms, etc...
Old 12-13-2010, 12:24 PM   #12750
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22 View Post
Bud's price was $92
Hand inspect or pay for hand select or buy used.

Most desirable would be pre ww2 ... good luck finding one though.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: